but also to get out of the scrawled rooms
一团糟的公♥寓♥
I was forced to rent.
要连像样点的设备都没有
I could not expect my patients to trust me
又怎么能叫我的病人相信我呢
if I could not afford the proper equipment.
是啊 这已经是司空见惯了
Yes,I've seen it happen to too many of us.
我也被迫从军
I myself was obliged to go into the army
以此来开始我的职业
in order to follow my career.
是啊
Indeed.
我想过放弃自己的职业
I had thought of abandoning my own career
但是突如其来的一件事改变了我的主意
except for one sudden and unexpected incident.
到底是怎样的事呢?
Exactly what kind of incident?
两年前的一个早上
One morning two years ago
一个男人上门造访 他的名字叫布莱星顿
I received a visit from a man by the name of Blessington
在此之前我们素未谋面
who until that time had been a complete stranger to me.
请进
Come in.
老天爷啊 你就住这 就这里?
Good heavens,do you live here,in this?
是的 恐怕如此
Yes,I'm afraid I do.
你就是那位
You are the same Percy Travelian
取得卓越成就
who's had so distinguished a career,
最近获奖的珀西·特里维廉先生吗?
recently won the Slater award for medicine?
正是
I am.
请坦率地回答我的问题
Then answer me frankly sir,
你会看到这样做对你是有好处的
and you'll find it in your interest to do so.
要不是你现在的财务困难
Despite your present financial situation,
你的才学一定
you clearly have all the cleverness
会让你青云直上的
that makes a successful man.
但你够圆滑机智吗?
But have you the tact?
我相信我会尽力而为的
I trust that I have my share,sir.
有无不良嗜好?
Any bad habits?
不酗酒吗?
Not drawn toward drink?
不 先生
Now really sir.
很好 很好
Quite right,quite right.
不过我必须问一下
But I was bound to ask.
为什么呢?
Why?
为什么啊?
Why sir?
你既然有这些本事
Simply why with all these qualities
为什么不开业行医呢?
are you not in practice?
现在知道了英雄
Come now it's that old story more in the brains
为什么也要为五斗米折腰了吧?
than in the pocket hey?
要是我帮你在布鲁克街开业
Now sir what would say sir
你的意见如何?
if I were to start you in Brook Street?
专业人士要想成功必须志向高远
If a specialist is to succeed he must aim high
在布鲁克街行医只是个开始
and a practice in Brook Street is just the beginning.
留意了 要穿着光鲜
Capital,keep yourself in style,
租个像样的马车
the hire of respectable carriage and horse,
最好的手术室 候诊室和仆役
surgery that's worthy of you,waiting room,servants
还有外面能买♥♥到的最好的设备
and the best equipment that money can buy.
这些是你将会拥有的
That is what you will have sir.
但是为什么啊?
But why?
这正像别的投机事业一样
It's just like any other investment,
不过比较更保险一些
safer than most.
那么 我该做些什么事呢?
And what am I to do?
我自然会告诉你的
I'll tell you.
我要替你租♥房♥♥子 置家具
I will take the house,furnish it,
雇女仆 管理一切
pay the maids and run the whole place.
你所要做的就是安安分分地
All you have to do is to wear out the chair
坐在你的诊室里
in your consulting room.
你所赚的
Then you hand over to me
我要占四分之三
three quarters of everything you earn
剩下的四分之一你自己留着
and keep one quarter for yourself.
你觉得这个提议怎样呢?
Now what do you say to that sir?
你同意吗?
Do you agree?
福尔摩斯先生 这就是那个
This then Mr. Holmes was the strange proposal
叫布莱星顿的陌生人给我提的奇怪建议
with which Mr. Blessington approached me.
我不再叙述我们怎样
I will not weary you with how we
协商 成交的事
bargained and negotiated.
结果是 我在报喜节
But it ended with my moving into the house next quarter
搬进了这个寓所 并按他所提出的条件
and starting in practice on very much the same conditions
开始营业
as he had suggested.
这就是候诊室
Waiting room for your patients.
你的诊室
Your consulting room.
难以置信啊 布莱星顿先生
I can't believe it Mr. Blessington,
叫我怎么感谢你呢
nor can I thank you enough.
他把一楼最好的两间房♥改成了
He turned the two best rooms on the first floor
起居室和他自己的卧室
into a sitting room and a bedroom for himself
然后以住院病人的身份
and came to live with me in the character of
和我住在了一起
a resident patient.
他的心脏衰弱 但算不上不正常
His heart was weak but not abnormal.
显然 他需要经常治疗
And yet he demanded constant medical supervision.
他脾气古怪 闭门谢客
He was a man of singular habits,shunning company
深居简出 不过有一件事除外
and very seldom going out except in one respect.
在每天晚上的同一时刻 他都会
Every evening at the same time he would go for a walk
外出散步半小时 风雨不改
for half an hour exactly no matter what the weather.
而且每晚同一时刻
And every evening at the same hour
他都会踱进我的诊室
he would walk into the consulting room.
检查账目
He would then examine the books,
赚的诊费 每1几尼他给我留5先令3便士
put down five crumpets for every guinea I had earned
其余的他全部拿走
and then carried the rest off to the strong box
放到他自己屋内的保险箱里
in his own room.
我可以非常自信地说
I may say with confidence Mr. Holmes
对这项投机生意 他永远也不会后悔
that he never had occasion to regret his speculation.
一开始 生意就很成功
From the first it was a success
近两年来 我使他变成了一个富翁
and during the last two years I have made him a rich man.
就是这些了 福尔摩斯先生
So much Mr. Holmes,
我过去的经历以及
for my past history and my relations
和布莱星顿先生的关系
with the resident patient Mr. Blessington.
我要告诉你的 现在只剩下一个问题
It only remains for me now to tell you
就是我今晚来此求教的原因
what has occurred to bring me here tonight.
几星期之前 布莱星顿先生下楼来找我
Some weeks ago Mr. Blessington came down to me
我似乎觉得
in as it seemed to me
- 他的心情异常激动 - 特里维廉医生
- a considerable state of agitation. - Dr. Travelian,
特里维廉医生 特里维廉医生
Dr. Travelian,Dr. Travelian,
特里维廉医生 特里维廉医生
Dr. Travelian,Dr. Travelian,
特里维廉医生 特里维廉医生
Dr. Travelian,Dr. Travelian sir.
布莱星顿先生 冷静下
Mr. Blessington calm yourself sir.
冷静 你叫我怎么冷静?
Calm myself? Calm myself?
你没有听说那件盗窃案吗?
But my dear sir have you not heard of the burglary?
盗窃案?
Burglary?
哪里啊?
Where?
不 不 不 不是这里 先生
No,no,no not here sir,
不是这里 但是可能会的
not here,but it could have been.
可能会的
Could have been...
一周之内整栋房♥子
Within a week the whole house had become
的门窗都被加固闩牢
a fortress of bolts and bars and locks.
你确定这些栅栏足够坚固吗?
Are you sure these bars are strong enough?
它们坚固得用在英格兰银行都绰绰有余了
They'd be strong enough for the bank of England,sir.
布莱星顿先生?
Mr. Blessington?
当我向他问到这件事时
When I questioned him upon the point
他变得非常无礼 于是我
he became so offensive that I was compelled
就不再谈这件事了
to drop the subject.
刚开始我还以为他
At first Mr. Holmes I thought he merely sought
只是想保护他的保险箱
to protect his strong box,
但后来我发觉
but then I suspected that it was his life
他是在保护自己的性命
he was protecting.
从那之后他就完全不外出了
From then on he stopped going out all together,
不停地从窗户往外看
peered continually out of his windows
把自己锁在房♥间里
and kept himself locked in his room in what
我只能说他已经到了极度焦虑的状态
I could only describe as a state of mortal dread.
特里维廉医生 在你继续之前
Dr. Travelian,before you continue,
你说你发现布莱星顿先生
you say you found this man Blessington
终日卧床 手抓报纸 并且日渐虚弱?
剧集 | 福尔摩斯历险记(1984) | 导航列表