And so it came as a complete surprise
他走进我城里的办公室的时候
when yesterday afternoon, at about 3 o'clock,
我感到很奇怪
he walked into my office in the city.
奥德克先生 下午好
Mr. Oldacre, good afternoon,
我是麦克法兰
I'm Mr. McFarland.
你是否介意过来一趟呢?
Would you care to come through?
请先坐下
Please, won't you sit down?
我有什么能为您服务的呢?
How can I help you?
这是我遗嘱的草稿
This is a draft of my Will.
我希望由你 麦克法兰先生
I want you, Mr. McFarland,
按照正式法定的格式把它写出来
to cast it into proper legal shape.
你写的时候 我就在这里坐着
I shall sit here while you do so.
您可以想象出来我的惊讶 福尔摩斯先生
You can understand my astonishment, Mr. Holmes,
当我看到他除了若干保留外
when I found that, with some minor reservations,
把其余的全部财产都留给我
his entire estate had been left to me.
但我真的不明白
But I... I simply don't understand.
好吧 我来简单说明一下
Well, then, let me explain.
我是个单身汉 麦克法兰先生
I'm a bachelor, Mr. McFarland,
我没多少亲属
with few relatives,
没人值得我考虑的
and none who deserve my consideration.
唉 那样说也太…
Well, that may well be so...
先听我说完
Let me... let me finish.
请原谅
I beg your pardon.
近年来 我已经逐渐不问世事
For many years now, I've with drawn from my business.
我是建筑师 我敢夸口
I was a builder, and though I say it myself,
我在这个领域是出类拔萃的
an extremely successful one.
成功地赢得可观的财富
Successful enough to have gained considerable
过着离群索居
and thus live out my life in complete,
而又舒适的生活
if solitary, comfort.
很多年前 我遇到你母亲
Many years ago, I knew your mother.
相遇相知 想娶她为妻
Knew her, and hoped to marry her.
后来她嫁给你父亲
Then she met and married your father.
我完全不知情
I had no idea.
当然 你怎么可能知道呢?
Well, and why should you?
三个月前
Three months ago, why,
我听说你父亲
I read of your father's death
死于布莱克希斯
in The Daily Telegraph,
我就想到了你母亲
and my mind was turned to your mother
还有你这个本可能成为我儿子的年轻人
and to the son who might very well have been my own.
这是我让你生活无忧的方式
This is my way of securing your future.
我知道我留下的东西
I know that whatever I leave
能落在值得信任的人手中
will be in worthy hands.
除了感谢之外 我真不知道能说些什么
What can I say, but thank you?
这里有些字据 我想该让你过目
There are a few documents I think you should see...
租约 房♥契
building leases, title deeds,
抵押凭证等等
mortgages and so on.
既然我已经拿定主意
Well, now my mind's made up,
在所有事情办完之后才能放心
I shan't rest easy until the whole thing's settled.
是的 理应如此
Yes, of course.
请在今晚来我家一趟
I beg you to come to my house tonight.
晚上9点如何?
What shall we say, 9 o'clock?
欸 没问题
Why, yes.
把遗嘱的定稿带过来
You'll of course bring the finalized Will,
我们就能把所有的事情都安排妥当
and then we can settle the matter once and for all.
是的 当然
Yes, of course.
谢谢你 孩子
Thank you, my boy.
噢 还有一件事
Oh, one last thing.
在一切事情还没有办完以前
Not a word of this to your dear mother
什么话都不要和你母亲说
until everything is settled.
我想给她一个小小的意外惊喜
I want it to be a little surprised for her.
小小的 我…
Little, I...
你答应吗?
You... you promise?
我向您保证
You have my word.
为了这次会面我提早出发
I left in good time for my appointment,
但那栋房♥子太难找了
but had difficulty in finding the house,
当我到他家的时候快9点半了
so that it was nearly half-past before I reached it.
晚上好
Good evening.
我和奥德克先生有约
I have an appointment with Mr. Oldacre.
你是麦克法兰先生吗?
Mr. McFarland?
对 就是我
Yes, that's right.
那算不上很热情的接待
It was not the warmest of receptions.
房♥子有一种怪异的 冷淡的气氛
And the house itself had a peculiar, unloved feeling.
抱歉让你久等了 孩子
Sorry to keep you waiting, my boy.
别客气 先生
Not at all, sir.
请恕我来晚了
I'm a little late, I'm afraid.
你把文件都带来了吧?
Now, you brought the papers?
- 是的 没错 - 很好
- Yes, indeed. - Excellent.
卧室在一楼
The bedroom was on the ground floor
那里有个大的保险柜
where there was a large safe.
把其余文件都拿过来吧 我的孩子
Bring the rest of those papers, my boy.
现在开始工作吧
Now, to business.
一切都办妥了吧?
All done?
是的 先生 都办妥了
Yes, sir, all done.
瞧这时间啊 我的孩子
Just seen the time, my boy.
你得回家了
You must get home.
噢 谢谢你
Oh, thank you.
我来的时候还带着一根手杖的
I had a stick with me.
哎呀 不知道她放哪去了
Ah, I wonder where she put it?
一根很厚实的手杖
A rather heavy walking stick.
是父亲留给我的
It belonged to my father.
哎呀 不要紧 我会好好保管
Ah, never mind, I'll take good care of it
等你下次来取
until we meet again.
毕竟从现在起 应该能经常见到你
After all, I shall be seeing a great deal of you now, I hope.
我们能经常见面的 先生
Indeed you shall, sir.
我离开了他
I left him there.
保险柜是开着的
The safe was open,
那些字据还摆在桌上
and the documents were on his desk.
已经太晚 回不去布莱克希斯了
It was too late to go back to Blackheath,
所以我在诺伍德的旅馆里住了一晚
and so I spent the night at a hotel in Norwood.
在今天早上以前 我对这起可怕的事件
I knew nothing more of this horrible affair
一无所知
until this morning.
你手上还有奥德克先生带给你的
Do you have the original draft of the Will
遗嘱草稿吗?
that Oldacre brought to you?
唉 是的 我带过来了
Why, yes, I... I have it here.
巡官 能把这些草稿借给我看一天吗?
May I retain this for 24 hours, Inspector?
假如能对你有所启发的话
It would amuse you.
你还有别的要问吗 福尔摩斯先生?
Well, anything more you'd like to ask, Mr. Holmes?
在我去布莱克希斯前 没什么要问的了
Not until I've been to Blackheath.
你是说去诺伍德以前吧?
You mean Norwood?
啊 对了 我要说的是诺伍德
No doubt, that is what I must have meant.
好吧 麦克法兰先生
Now, Mr. McFarland,
我的警士就站在门口
my Constable's at the door,
外面还有辆四轮马车在等着
there's a four-wheeler waiting.
早安 先生
Morning, gentlemen.
早安
Morning.
这份遗嘱的确有些特点
There are certain points about this document,
华生 你看呢?
are there not Watson?
嗯 我能看出头两行
Well, I can read the first two lines
还有第二页中间几句
and these in the middle of the second page
还有最后一两行
and one or two at the end,
就跟印上去的一样清晰
I mean, they're as clear as print.
但其余部分都写得不清楚
But the writing in between is very bad,
有几处地方根本看不出写的是什么
and there's several places where I can't read it at all.
你怎么解释这一点呢?
What do make of that?
你怎么解释呢?
What do you make of it?
是在火车上写的
That it was written on the train.
清晰的部分是火车停站的时候写的
The good writing represents stations,
模糊的部分是火车行驶时写的 最不清晰的部分…
the bad writing movement, and the very bad writing...
是火车经过岔道时写的?
Passing over the points?
有经验的专家能马上断定
A scientific expert would pronounce at once
这是在一条郊区铁路线上写的
剧集 | 福尔摩斯历险记(1984) | 导航列表