能在这上面运行的《马拉松》几乎是他们的首选游戏
rather than a PC, Marathon was a game that ended up on a lot of Mac computers.
Mac 电脑刚刚推出时是一台纯粹的商务电脑
When they were doing the Macs, they were wanting to first push it as exclusively a business computer.
如果你认为性能强大的商务电脑遥不可及
If you thought a really powerful business computer was way out of your reach
这里有条好消息!
we've got news for you.
然而过了一段时间后 越来越多的人习惯在自己计算机上玩游戏
Then, as years went on, people were always playing games on their PCs.
苹果公♥司♥这时候才意识到 自己需要适时改变形象了
Apple was like realizing, 'We need to change our image.'
但那时候 Mac 上可选择的游戏真的不多
There wasn't a lot to choose. Some, there was some really obscure stuff
而且大部分都非常冷门 比如《合法伤害》
that I wish I could find again, games like Damage Incorporated
“友军误伤 看着点!”
"..reporting. Check the friendly fire!"
这款游戏实际上是使用《马拉松》的引擎开♥发♥
Damage Incorporated actually ran on the Marathon engine
因为这就是当时在 Mac 平台仅有的 FPS 游戏引擎之一
'cause it was one of the only first person shooter engines on Mac at the time.
所以 在当时几乎没有人拥有 Mac 电脑 也几乎没有人想在 Mac 玩游戏的前提下
So, Bungie was known basically for being insane
在这上面开♥发♥游戏的 Bungie 在别人眼里就成了一群疯子
because nobody owned a Mac, like nobody wanted to play games on a Mac.
通常来说只有声效设计师或是其它一些艺术领域的人 才会去特地购买♥♥ Mac
People who had bought a Mac because they were like, you know, cool sound design people or art authors
所以一般来说游戏公♥司♥也不会将其视为潜在客户
or something weren't typically the guys we sold games to.
在进入游戏行业之前 我大概做了10年的平面设计师
I was in the graphic design industry for about 10 years prior to even getting into games.
在我工作用的 Mac 平台上 《马拉松》是唯一玩起来有意思的游戏
Marathon was the only game available on the Mac platform that was any fun to play.
我们经常会下班后聚在一起 连续玩上好几个小时的《马拉松》
And so, we would get together all the time after work and play that for hours and hours.
《马拉松》是我第一款喜欢上的电子游戏
Marathon was the one that I got hooked on
当时在我办公室有一台 Mac
because I was in an office
有人在上面安装了这款游戏
somebody installed it and, uh
于是我们开始玩死亡竞赛
that's when we started Deathmatching.
它非常真实 令人上瘾
It was so visceral and addictive and,
你仿佛在透过电脑屏幕追杀着某个办公室里的同事
just this feeling that you're chasing down this person in your office on the computer screen.
这游戏甚至还有火箭跳呢 这真的很酷
And they let you rocket jump which was really cool.
如果你问我“哪款游戏发明了武器双持机制”
People ask, 'Which was the first game to invent dual wielding?'
我会告诉你既是《龙霸三合会》 又是《马拉松》
And I go, 'Well, it was Rise of the Triad but it was also Marathon
因为这两个游戏无比巧合地 在同一天上市发♥售♥
because they came out on the exact same day.
我喜欢《马拉松》 Bungie 为了开♥发♥它专门制♥作♥了他们的Doom引擎
I loved it. I mean, they made their own Doom engine
并且还是 Mac 独占开♥发♥
and they made it for the Mac, and it was exclusive for the Mac
它甚至还有一个故事
and it had a story.
《马拉松》给我的第一印象是艳丽多姿 它还为同类游戏设立了标准
I thought Marathon was, first of all, gorgeous. It also set a bar of what should be expected.
我深深沉浸其中
I got very deeply immersed in it.
游戏需要有一个 从不同角度去观察事物的方式
It was an important sideways way of thinking about some of these things that
这对于你了解故事 有着很重要的影响力
uh, were extraordinarily influential.
《马拉松》对于故事情节的注重有目共睹
Marathon was all about the story
尽管你只有2D精灵图构成的角色 和非常简单的3D图形环境
even though it used 2D sprites and really simplistic 3D interiors to
但你依然能扮演角色在其中探索 并发现许多与世界观有关的文档资料
drive your characters around, there was so much lore and so much history
对于当时还是小团队的 Bungie 而言
that that small team at Bungie had put together
它们为 FPS 提供了一个虽然简陋 但确实行之有效的叙事思路
for this very simple but very effective first person shooter.
没有《马拉松》就没有《光环》系列
There would be no Halo without the Marathon games.
毫无疑问 两者有着非常相似的基因
There's a ton of DNA there for sure.
看看 Bungie 现在所处的高度 回顾一下他们的起源故事确实很有意思
It's interesting to see where Bungie is now as, you know, where they came from.
也许未来的某一天 他们可能会回归到更传统的 FPS 上面
Maybe one day, they'll go back to making those kind of shooters,
但我对此表示怀疑 我认为他们可能会吊死在《命运》这棵树上
but I doubt it. I think they're, they're probably just gonna be working on Destiny forever.
《毁灭战士》是一款传世之作 而它产生的深远影响力也远不止游戏本身
I mean, you think about the legacy of Doom, and it's enormous.
没人能否认: 整个 FPS 类型就是从《毁灭战士》开始崛起的
I mean, everything in the genre emanates from Doom.
1995年那会儿我们刚创立 Logicware 时
I remember, when we first formed Logicware in 1995
在工作间隙的业余时间里 会时不时聚在一起 开完《毁灭战士》
we would be working for a while and, every now and then, we would just all fire up Doom.
我们差不多所有人都是玩着《德军总部 3D》长大的
So, it felt like all of us who grew up with Wolfenstein
很快自然又沉迷到了《毁灭战士》当中
oh, then we all got Doom. Now, we are all up to speed
然后我们又成了毁灭战士高手 到了《雷神之锤》又成了雷神之锤高手
Now, we're all good at Doom. Now, everyone gets Quake. Everyone is good at Quake.
我最近读了一本叫做《流行制♥造♥者》的书
I recently read a book called Hit Makers
内容大致就是在探讨在如今娱乐形式多种多样
which basically was talking about how to succeed in the era
游戏种类那么丰富的时代 要如何才能取得成功
where there's so many different forms of entertainment so many different gaming options, right?
大致来讲 书中提出的一套公式 就是要让作品拥有让人熟悉但不断变化的元素
And, basically, the formula that they made was to take something that feels familiar yet different, right? You know,
就像《星球大战》这样既是电影同时又像多媒介领域发展的IP
you look at Star Wars as a film and as a franchise.
《星球大战》具有老派的西部片风格 但将其融入了科幻题材当中
Star Wars was old school, you know, Western vibe but taken to sci-fi.
你要奠定一种大家耳熟能详的公式 然后将其融合到一些新的环境中去
So, take something that, you know, feels kind of like a familiar formula and apply it to something new.
当时我老爸新购入了一台 Packard Bell 电脑 它有一个CD-ROM光驱和更好的硬件设备
My dad had gotten a new, like, Packard Bell that had a CD-ROM drive and everything
我设法说服了他在电脑上装个游戏 然后我选了
and I managed to convince him to let me get a game for it, and I picked
《星球大战: 黑暗原力》
Star Wars Dark Forces.
记得当时我初见这游戏 脑子里只剩下: “哦嚯”
I remember thinking like, 'Wow,
“终于有人做了个像模像样的《星球大战》游戏”
someone's finally built, like, the Star Wars game.'
置身于《星球大战》的世界仿佛有一种魔力
There is a magic to being in the world of Star Wars.
彻底实现了你过去梦寐以求的体验
These are things that you just only dreamed about.
这让我感到震惊不已 真的有一款《星球大战》游戏让人身临其境
It blew my mind that I actually got to be there, like, at eye level
通过我自己的视角去观察 穿越整个帝国的军事基地
in a Star Wars game and walked through, you know, this imperial base.
这是前所未有的体验 就仿佛我真的置身于《星球大战》的世界
It just kind of pulled me into the world of Star Wars like I'd never been pulled into before.
《黑暗原力》是一款制♥作♥精良的游戏
Dark Forces was a very nicely done game.
我记得它在当时的运行效率 就非常稳定流畅
I remember Dark Forces having a pretty fast frame rate.
就连碰撞体积的判定也做得非常好 这点让我印象非常深刻
and so, I was impressed with that, and I thought their collision detection was pretty nice as well.
你就算是贴着墙壁移♥动♥也能保持顺滑流畅
You would glide smoothly along the walls.
它有一套相对更加多样性的流程结构
You actually had something that you were trying to do
你在关卡中需要完成各种各样的任务
and you were gonna accomplish something, and you're enmeshed in a world
不仅仅是一个把所有人都杀光就能完事的游戏
where you weren't just killing everything.
尽管有诸如下水道这种设计稀烂的关卡 但我依然在游戏中流连忘返
I just became obsessed with it, even though I was really bad at this level where you go into the sewers.
这一关让小时候的我玩得晕头转向 根本不知道该干嘛
I had no idea how to play that, but I would play that first level
但我为了窃取死星计划 只能反反复复尝试挑战
stealing the Death Star plans over and over and over again
回想起来 我小时候恐怕花了将近30个小时才搞定这关
like I probably spent 30 hours just playing that level as a kid.
那对我来说是一次难忘的经历 让我彻底喜欢上了 FPS 这个游戏类型
And that was kind of a formative experience for me and really got me into the genre.
我非常喜欢这个游戏
I had loved it so much that I,
甚至到了只要每次进入商店看到 就会想再买♥♥一张的地步
every time I went into a store, if I saw Dark Forces, I bought it.
结果就是我现在囤了一大堆《黑暗原力》
I ended up with a massive stack of Dark Forces.
我们负责了许多老游戏的收藏版再发行 截至目前大概已经有上千款了
At this point in time, we have worked on over a thousand different games
其中不乏《毁灭战士》《雷神之锤》《恐龙猎人》和《网络奇兵》等经典名作
stuff like Doom, Quake, Turok, uh, System Shock.
现在我终于有机会参与《黑暗原力》的再发行
I've gotten to do Star Wars games which is kind of unbelievable to me
对我这个从小就是《星球大战》粉丝的人来说简直不可思议
as a kid who you know, really loved Star Wars.
只有当人们下定决心 两耳不闻窗外事
Innovation only comes from when people decide
以一种“不顾他人目光 我都要做一款属于自己的游戏”的心态工作时
'I wanna make a game for myself, I don't care about your opinion,'
才能真正实现某种创新
and then present something that's brand new
谁能说的准呢?你保不齐就真的能创造出一个全新的游戏类型
and who knows? You might create a new genre
令人印象深刻 将军 帝皇会很高兴的
[Vader] Very impressive, General. The Emperor will be most pleased.
我和保罗·纽拉斯是朋友
I was friends with Paul Neurath who
是他把 Blue Sky Software 更名为透镜的
renamed Blue Sky Software to Looking Glass
马特·托施洛格和迈克·库拉斯当时在干程序员
and Matt Toschlog and Mike Kulas were programmers there.
他们想要开一家游戏公♥司♥
They wanted to start a game company.
因为他们觉得自己手头掌握了一些很先进的技术资源
They had some technology that they think would be really cool
所以我知道这事后就跟他们说了
and so we're like, 'Hey, keep, keep me posted,'
“放手去做吧 不管你做的啥我都放心上的”
you know, on whatever you make, and we'll, we'll check it out.
《天旋地转》在开♥发♥过程中的代号♥为“地狱火计划”
Descent was called Project Inferno while it was in development
他们不停地给我寄“开♥发♥中版本”的录像带
and they kept on sending me VCR, you know, “builds,”
虽然不是在我的电脑上运行的 但我可以观看它的视频
you know, I couldn't run it on my computer, but I could watch the video of it.
而且 它看起来真的相当不错
and, uh, and it was really cool.
《天旋地转》太赞了 它有着与众不同之处
Descent was awesome. It had something different to it.
在那个世代 游戏开♥发♥者们试图探索出第一人称射击游戏的崭新可能
During that time, developers were trying to find a different take on first person shooters.
而《天旋地转》的六向自♥由♥旋转着实很酷
And this is like really cool, six degrees of freedom rotating.
它所用的技术看起来要胜于《创世纪 地下世界》 可以说相当不错
It looks really good. The, the technology is beyond the Ultima Underworld technology.
我很想发行这部游戏 但当时我正忙于渡鸦工作室的东西
I would love to publish this game, but like I, at the time, was too busy with Raven
所以 要再去负责一部游戏对当时的我来说实在是心有余而力不足
and so, I couldn't take on another game on top of everything that was going on
因为《毁灭战士》已经风靡全世界了
with all the business, because Doom exploded the world.
于是他们去找了 Interplay 发行了它 之后的故事大家就耳熟能详了
And then they just, like, go to Interplay. Interplay, boom, publishes it, and the rest is history.
当我们第一次看到《天旋地转》时 它相当粗糙
When Descent was first presented to us, it was really crude.
老实说 这真的算不上一部游戏 只是一部操作飞船在小行星内部飞行的模拟器
I mean, it really wasn't a game. It was just a simulator of a little spaceship flying in an interior of an asteroid.
马特·托施洛格那时一直与布莱恩·法戈有往来 后者搜罗了大量不同的游戏
Matt Toschlog was in touch with Brian Fargo, and Brian was out looking for a lot of different games
而我们也开始协作 Parallax 软件进行《天旋地转》的开♥发♥工作
and we also started working with Parallax on the development of Descent.
某种意义上 这就是我们向这片领域迈出的第一步
And so, there was sort of, like, our foray into that space.
《天旋地转》中不存在“下方”的概念
In Descent, there is no such thing as down
所以 一旦玩家感到眩晕 你就会开始失控
so, therefore once you get vertigo, you spiral out of control.
我想真正令大家惊讶的是那个360°的旋转
The 360 rotation; I think that's the thing that really surprised everybody
因为我记得当我们参与各大展会 并将游戏展示给不同的编辑和发行商
because I remember, when we presented at different trade shows and presented to different editors and publishers, et cetera
例如 PC Gamer 时 他们看到它之后都十分吃惊 游戏的交互令他们大为震撼
like PC Gamer, um, they looked at it, and they were all shocked. The interface really surprised them.
那时人们还难以驾驭向任何方向自♥由♥移♥动♥的能力
People were just overwhelmed with the ability of moving in all directions.
Interplay 的测试部门有很多人在游玩游戏的过程中得了晕动症
There have been numerous people at, uh, Interplay QA who got motion sickness from playing the game.
尽管游戏的帧率还算稳定 但仍旧低于每秒30帧
While it was a decent frame rate, it was still below 30 frames per second.
因为当时平均水平的硬件 只能以每秒15到20帧的帧率运行这个游戏
The average hardware of the time, it ran between 15 and 20 frames per second.
我之前从来没得过晕动症 我以为那没问题
I never got motion sick. I, I thought it was great.
我完全可以接受 这就和《太空之路》差不多嘛
I could totally handle that. You know, Space Road was the same.
你在太空中旋转 尝试与某物完成对接
You're rotating in space trying to dock with something
再适应适应旋转时的视野 不过如此
and having to get used to the rotating perspective and all that.
电影精选列表