他们在朝不同的方向拓展FPS 这太棒了
It was nice that they took things in different directions.
第一滴血!
First Blood!
死亡竞赛是一种轻松无脑的 FPS 游戏模式
Deathmatch, when it comes to first person shooters is a no brainer
之后转向更有战术性 更团队化的游戏模式
and then you start moving over to more tactical and more team-based modes
从夺旗到占点
such as Capture the Flag, then eventually Domination
然后就是《虚幻竞技场》皇冠上的宝珠: 突击模式
and then kind of the crown jewel of Unreal Tournament that helps separate it, which was Assault.
史蒂夫·波尔热想设计一些基于团队作战的模式
Steve Polge wanted to create something that was team based,
但也要让人感觉是去实现某种真实的目标
but also something that felt like you were there going to an actual objective
而不是拿到旗帜或守住某个地点
as opposed to, say, get a flag or go stand in this location.
所以最终我们得到了一些非常非常酷的地图 波尔热制♥作♥了一张在飞驰的火车上的地图
So, we wind up with really, really cool maps, you know? Poncho made a map where you're essentially on a speeding train.
戴夫·尤因制♥作♥了一张♥基♥本上复刻了诺曼底登陆的地图
Dave Ewing made a map, whereas it was essentially a recreation of Normandy where you're storming the beach.
其中一些地图 你可以用 Instagib模式玩
Some of these maps, you can sit there and you can, like use the Instagib
你可以把你的队友击飞到地图对面 让他更快地拿到旗帜
and like, shoot your friend across the maps that can get to the CTF flag faster.
我的天 不知道为什么 Instagib模式就是太神奇了
Oh my god, for some reason, Instagib just, ‘Oh, it was amazing.’
双杀!
Double Kill!
史蒂夫·波尔热提出了向匹配模式增加变量的想法
Steve Polge had the idea of mutators that you can apply to your match
让游戏可以无限重玩
to make the game infinitely replayable
把一个如此有深度的游戏抽丝剥茧 直指精髓所在 这其中也大有门道
and there's something to be said about taking a game that is so deep and just boiling it down to its essence right?
这就是为什么 Facing Worlds 是张很出色的夺旗地图
And that's why Facing Worlds was such a brilliant Capture the Flag map.
地图上就只有两座塔楼 排除一切干扰 只剩纯粹的技术较量
It was two towers. Let's see how good you are.
我们已经习惯 id 的游戏了
I was so used to id software's games, where you know
满足感和正反馈是他们成功的关键所在
the gratification and the feedback were quintessential to their success
于是我想着“射的准的玩家应该被奖励”
and so I was thinking, ‘Let's reward the players’, you know, good aim.’
玩家应该知道自己打出了爆头
If they shoot the opponent in the head, like, let's let the player know.
所以我去了布兰登的办公室 和他说这个想法
And so, I told Brandon this, and I went to his office
他做了个AI站在那里 然后朝AI的头开火 屏幕上出现了一行“爆头”的小字
and he had an AI just standing there, and he, he shot in the head and put little text on the screen and said, ‘Headshot.’
我说: “不 你要这样 这终结一击应该先把敌人的脑壳掀飞 然后再显示爆头”
I mean, I’m like, ‘No no, no. Make it so, when it's the final blow, that it, like, pops the enemy's head off, then it says ‘Headshot.’
这样你就能享受命中反馈给你带来的那种多巴胺的满足感 对吧?
Then, you get that, you know, feedback that hits that kind of dopamine of your brain, right?
爆头!
Headshot!
然后是 “我们该如何奖励玩家的成功?”
And then, ‘How can we reward success with the player?
“长♥期♥的成功也好 短期的成功也罢”
Success over a longer period of time, success over a short time.’
因此我们设计出了一个双杀 多杀的系统
So, we came up with a system of double kill, multikills.
双杀!
Double Kill!
不断持续到“超神”为结束
And it goes on and on and on to ultimately wind up with ‘God-like.’
超神!
GodLike!
播音员声音洪亮 玩家激动颤抖
The announcer's voice is booming, and you're like, you're shaking
“我居然真的做到了 是吧?”
like ‘I can't believe I got one of these, right?’
第一滴血!
FirstBlood!
这听起来就像是撒旦本人的声音从地狱传出
It sounded like the voice of Satan coming up from hell itself.
双杀!
Double Kill!
双杀! 大杀特杀!
Double Kill!Killing Spree!
我认为 直到我们的《雷神之锤3》
It wasn't really, I think, until we were producing Quake III Arena
和 Epic 的《虚幻竞技场》
and Epic was working on Unreal Tournament
真正的阵营之争才正式开始
where the true battle of the religions started.
《雷神之锤3》和《虚幻竞技场》同月份发♥售♥
You've got Quake III, and you’ve got Unreal Tournament releasing in the same month.
直至今天 人们还是在争论它 不是吗?
To this day, people still argue about it, right?
每个游戏当然都有各自的优点
And each game, of course, had its merits so, you know,
《虚幻竞技场》 画面更明亮 色彩更丰富 而且有着奇特的武器和难以置信的身法
UT you know, the bright more colorful one with the wacky weapons and the crazy movements
《雷神之锤》则在瞄准和手感上更胜一筹
and Quake, you know, kind of was a little bit more snug in regards to the aiming and the feel.
我玩《雷神之锤3》只玩团队死亡竞赛 那是我玩得最多的模式
My experience with Quake III was always just Team Deathmatch, the most played game mode, but then obviously
但在《虚幻竞技场》中有突击 夺旗以及那些超大地图
in Unreal Tournament, you had like the Assault maps and Capture The Flag and these giant maps.
我觉得 任何伟大的多人竞技游戏都做到了一句老话
I think what makes any game great in terms of multiplayer and competition is the old adage
那就是“易于上手 难于精通”
‘Easy to learn, hard to master.’
你需要一个核心游戏循环和玩法简单的游戏
You need a game that's simple in terms of like the core gameplay loop the core gameplay mechanics
但从根本上说 游戏的多样性应该允许玩家展现自己的风格
but allows a lot of versatility to essentially that the player themselves to express.
一些玩家可以两者兼顾
Some players were really able to do Both.
因此我认为 Epic做了正确的事情
So, I do think that the team at Epic really did the right thing
没有跟我们斗个你死我活 而是携手共进
by not going directly against us but going with us.
我认为这是好事
I think it worked out well.
罗宾和我 都在澳大利亚东南的同一个偏远小镇里长大
Robin and I grew up in the same town in the far southeastern corner of Australia.
我们虽然有时候也学习 但大部分时间还是在打游戏
You know, we're Both kind of studying but mostly playing video games.
我对那个年代的所有记忆 几乎都全是局域网对战
All my memories of that era are all very, like, LAN party-centric.
那些玩《毁灭战士》的大孩子们 给我们看了一个要塞地图
These guys, big Doom players they introduced us to this fortress map.
游戏开始后 你在三个洞里三选一跳进去
When you spawned, you would fall down one of sort of three holes
每个洞都会给你一套不同的武器配装
in front of you and the holes would give you one of a couple of different weapon loadouts.
即使是2V2对战 这个地图和机制也让我们意识到
The fortress map and its structure even with just two-on-two, kind of made us realize
基于团队的地图机制能带来更多策略性和刺♥激♥感
like how much more sort of excitement and strategy you could have with a team-based structure.
这也是给《雷神之锤》做模组最开始的一年的乐趣之一
And that was one of the fun things about that first year or so of Quake modding.
他们基本上公布了游戏的所有代码
They released essentially all their game code.
我们做了一些《毁灭战士》的模组 还有许多自创地图
We've done a bit of Doom modding and certainly a bunch of Doom mapmaking.
我们那时就在想当这个模组工具出来以后我们能做点什么
And so, we started thinking about what kind of things we'd do once the modding tools came out.
当时就只是: 我们可以加点什么有趣的东西进去?
It was really just like, ‘Okay, what's that fun thing we can add?’
我们之前玩过有三种不同职业的《毁灭巫师》
We we're actually playing Hexen that had three different classes:
战士 医生 法师
a warrior, and it had a medic, and it had a mage.
那是我们非常喜欢的一个游戏玩法
Here’s one piece of gameplay we really like.
“就做那个吧”
‘Let’s make that.’
在《军团要塞》里面 你只凭数字键就能看出来
You can tell the order in which classes were implemented in Team Fortress
我们设计出所有这些职业的顺序
strictly by just the number that you press to select them.
狙击手绝对是最有趣的职业
The sniper class was definitely the most exciting.
我们仨花了好久的时间尝试不同的机制
We spent so many hours, just like three of us trying a different, like, mechanic.
“要长按给狙击蓄力吗?” 我们这样尝试了很多方法
‘Okay, do you hold down to charge up?’ We just tried so many different ways
直到我们找出一个我们都满意的方法
until we sort of settled on the one that we wanted.
我们会花几个小时在地图闲逛 对轰 哈哈大笑
Hours of just laughing, running around the map, killing each other.
工程师和间谍是我们最后设计的两个职业
The engineer and the spy, the last two classes we did,
形形色♥色♥的人加入到我们的局域网对战中
we had a bunch of different people coming to our LAN parties,
并且什么水平的人都有
and they were all over the skill spectrum,
我们希望不同水平的人都可以享受同一局游戏
and we wanted to all be able to play the same game at the same time.
工程师可以更具策略性
The engineer could really be more tactical.
我们看过《异形》里面的哨戒机♥枪♥
We saw the sentry guns and aliens were like,
我想在游戏里面也用上那个
‘I want to play with those in the game somehow.’
我们没有市场营销 也没有官网
We did no marketing, we didn't have a web page.
我们只是把压缩文件传到了 CDROM.com
We just put the zip file on CDROM.com
然后指望人们会发现它
and hoped people would find it.
过了几天 我们就开始收到邮件
After a few days, we started getting some emails from people,
上面写着“嘿 我们真的很喜欢这个游戏”
saying, like, ‘Hey, like, we really liked this game.’
或者是“你们接下来打算做什么?”
Like, ‘What are you guys doing next?’
就这样大概过了两年
This is getting up around the two year mark.
我们收到了雪乐山的斯科特·林奇的邮件
We got an email from Scott Lynch over at Sierra.
他问我们有没有兴趣做一个半条命版的军团要塞出来
He was wondering if we would be interested in building a version of Team Fortress for Half-Life.
我们当时就想: “哇! 这下是来真的了”
We were like, ‘Whoa, like, shit’s getting real.’
Valve 对于《半条命》的模组拓展性十分看重
The modability of Half-Life was something that Valve cared about a ton.
他们的策略是把《半条命》打造成为一个巨大的模组平台
Like, the right strategy was really to take Half-Life and make it a great platform for mods
就像《雷神之锤》那样
in the same way that Quake was a great platform for mods.
有趣的是其实我们当时并没有什么设计可言
I remember it being really fun because I, you know, there was no design to really be done. It was just like,
只是“把这个放到这里 把那个放到那里”
‘Make all that over there,’ like ‘Make it work over here.’
但那也是个很好的机会
But, it was also that it seemed like there was a real opportunity for
能够让《军团要塞》被更多的人玩到
Team Fortress to be played by a bunch of new people.
“来吧 我们要让更多的人玩军团要塞”
Like, ‘Let's get it out there Let's get more people playing Team Fortress.’
根本不需要担心缺少乐观精神
A lack of optimism has never been a problem.
就是说 你出生了 往前走
Well, so you have to…You die. You could, you could spawn, move forward,
然后在二十秒内挂掉 接着要等三分钟才能复活? 这种游戏怎么可能火起来?
and die in like 20 seconds, and then have to wait three minutes before you get to play again? Like, this’ll never be popular.
我一局爆了罗宾三次头
Headshotting Robin three rounds in a row
气得他大喊大叫然后退游
and having him yell out from his office and rage quit,
那时让我真正意识到
I think, was really the time when I'm like,
“好吧 我们一定要多玩玩这个”
‘Okay, yeah, we need to, like, spend more time with this product,’
因为这游戏太棒了
because it was awesome.
我总是把《反恐精英》当做给自己的一堂课
I always remember Counter-Strike as a lesson to myself
对于自己评估失误“什么才是乐趣”的教训
in my inability to accurately predict what's fun.
大部分在《反恐精英》之前的竞技场射击游戏
The arena shooters that had mostly preceded Counter-Strike
在地图设计和武器配置方面有着与之完全不同的感受
obviously have a completely different sensibility when it comes to map design and weapon sets.
你可以通过杀敌攒钱然后购买♥♥武器
You could actually, like, save up your money from the kill ,you've gotten stuff and buy weapons,
你还可以选择你要买♥♥什么武器
and you got to choose the weapons you want.
《反恐精英》的一大特色是: 开枪和杀敌不是一切
One thing about Counter-Strike that's interesting: it's not just one shot, kill.
还包括地图设计
It's really the level design,
你可以选择蹲点 但你还得学会反蹲
you can position yourself, and you have to have counter positions,
这是一种更具策略性的多人游戏
and you really, it is a really more strategic multiplayer.
如果要我选出让《反恐精英》最独特的一点
If I had to try and identify what makes Counter-Strike so special,
那就试想一下警♥匪♥同时去B点
it's both the counter terrorists and the terrorists head toward Bombsite B.
他们会几乎同时到达一处关键位置
They'll reach a choke point almost the exactly same time.
这对于设计师来说是要经过深思熟虑的
And that's incredibly deliberate on the designers part,
电影精选列表