But I thought I could have, like, a lot of tactical knowledge.
所以我就想“来一款能为我这样的玩家提供服务的游戏吧”
and it's like, ‘I want a game that rewards a player like me.‘
你需要规划好战术“我要去干这个活儿 你得去干那个活儿”
You have to do the planning, ‘I'm gonna do this, you're gonna do this
规划一次行动将花去数个小时 而执行将以分钟计
and spending hours planning and minutes executing
中枪就阵亡的设定与团队管理之间产生的化学反应非常出色 而且完全是意外之喜
The intersection of one shot, one kill and managing a team intersected really, really well and was a pure accident.
我并不想让小队成员成为超级英雄
I didn't want them to be superheroes.
让他们表现得像真正的人类一样 那才是我想要的
I wanted them to actually feel like real human beings.
我们想让枪战更加写实 因为
We wanted gunfights to be realistic and, and
在现实中 哪怕只中了一枪 能活下来的也是极少数
realistically, very few people survive being shot even once.
你的小队有六个成员 从某种意义上来说 这等于你最多能挨六枪
You have your team has six, and it's kind of like you have, you know, six times you can get shot.
我觉得我们在游戏中加入的所有东西里 动态准星是最亮眼的哪个
I think the biggest thing that we added, I think, was the targeting reticle.
尽管在此之前就已经有十字准星了
但我想我们是第一个在游戏中加入了会伸缩的动态准星的
You had crosshairs before, but I think that we were the first people to ever have an expanding and contracting reticle.
我们一开始刻板地以为 突突突才是游戏的趣味所在
We kind of thought that, like, the shooting would be the fun part
然而我们意外地发现
and what we discovered by accident was that
鬼鬼祟祟地监视对象并规划接下来要做什么
it was as much fun to sort of sneak around and spy on people
在有趣程度上完全不输于直接突突突
and plan out what you're going to do as to actually do the shooting.
因此 我们之后的所有关卡都是基于能够长远规划而进行设计的
And so, all of the future level designs we did were based around having long approaches.
“您的任务是夺回比利时驻伦敦大使♥馆♥”
Your mission is to retake the Belgian Embassy in London.
我还记得大使♥馆♥这关 我们在E3上进行过演示
What I really member about the, the embassy level was, we demoed it at E3
当时我们的主美 乔纳森·佩登上台进行了演示 他还别了个麦克风
and the lead artist, a guy named Jonathan Peden, was demonstrating and he was mic’d up
他真的当场制定了自己小队上楼去营救大使的计划
He actually set his team upstairs to rescue the ambassador
这就是他想向大家展示的东西 那就是你制定了一个计划 而AI们就会去执行它
and he was just kind of showing off to everybody that you create this plan and, you know, they would they AIs would go off and execute it
接下来他就专注于向所有人讨论演示 而没再去看游戏的进展
and he was talking, he wasn't really paying attention
而他的AI队伍真的就这么把大使给救回楼下了
and his AI team actually rescued the ambassador and came back down the stairs
乔纳森自己都惊了 因为那会儿AI可没那么稳定可靠 一般情况下这都是会失败的
and Jonathan was so surprised, because this usually didn't work, the AI was kind of shaky at this point
所以当他看到突然看到有人从楼上下来时
that he just saw some bodies coming downstairs
他选择直接给下来的人来了一枪 漂亮地爆了大使的头
and he shot the ambassador in the head and killed him.
然后他就 别忘了那个麦 “我♥操♥!”
And he's, he's mic’d up, he's like, ‘Oh, shit.’
“啊 这 我不是...”
And he's like, ‘Oh, no, no’ and…
尽管这事情很尴尬 但在尴尬的瞬间 我们都意识到了我们做了个超级酷的玩意!
But, I mean, that was the point we realized we actually had something really, really cool.
我们就做了个小小的PC游戏 甚至还不知道它具体表现如何
We'd done this, like, little PC game, and we didn't have a good sense of how it was performing.
突然不知怎么地 我们就已经进行了一场又一场的会议
And then, all of a sudden, I was in all these meetings where we had to discuss
去讨论该怎么把它移植到主机上
how it was going to be migrated to console
这让我觉得“哇偶 看来大家还真挺喜欢它的哈”
and I'm like, ‘Oh, I guess people really like it.’
目标倒下!
Tango Down!
所以彩虹六号♥就是这么来的了 真的就是那通电♥话♥
So, that's where Rainbow Six came from. It was literally that phone call.
我们不过是有了个想法 并执着于它 然后就成功了
We just had, like, a vision and kind of stuck to the vision, and it kind of worked out.
我当时只是在想“天啊 这就是全世界最棒的游戏了!”
And I was like, ‘Oh my god, this is the best game ever.’
你要知道 加入这个团队时 我们不会为你举办什么盛大的游♥行♥或是授勋仪式
You knew, when you signed on with this crew, there wouldn't be any parades or medal ceremonies
但我希望你知道 你的功绩完全配得上这一切甚至更多的荣誉
but I want you to know that you deserve all that and more.
曾经在很短的一段时间里 如果有个人说他玩FPS 那么他指的就是《雷神之锤2》
For a short period of time, Quake II was the first person shooter game that everyone played
直到《虚幻》横空出世
until Unreal came out.
多年以前 有个叫詹姆斯·施马尔茨的制♥作♥了《史诗弹球》和《极限弹球》
So, back in the day, a gentleman named James Schmalz produced a couple of games, Epic Pinball and Extreme Pinball
它们成为了90年代共享软件时期 Epic 的爆款
which were huge breakout hits for Epic back in the Shareware era in the 1990s.
詹姆斯是一位天赋异禀的艺术家和程序员 基本上他一个人就能搞定一切
James was a very talented artist and programmer who could basically do it all
因此他能将其优秀的美术技巧应用在3D领域
and he took kind of his tremendous art skills and started applying it to 3D.
早期版本的《虚幻》最先完成的部分是地形
Early versions of Unreal were kind of terrain based.
詹姆斯想要做一个在山洞里开机甲的游戏
James wanted to make a game where you were mech in a cave
然而如果你仔细想想 其实这不太合理 毕竟哪来那么多空间给机甲活动
where, if you think about it, doesn't make a lot of sense,‘cause there's not a lot of room for a mech to go.
后来蒂姆·斯威尼开始参与到了开♥发♥中 开♥发♥引擎和之后的游戏: 《虚幻》
Eventually, that started transitioning into Tim Sweeney's involvement and development of the engine and subsequently the game, Unreal.
几十年来 我们一直认为 FPS 这种游戏类型就是游戏界最新技术的应用代表
We talk about FPS as a genre that has, for decades, always been a representation of new technological features
《虚幻》可能就是其中最好的例子之一
and Unreal was maybe one of the best examples of that
在当时 id 作为“卡马克的一言堂”而声名不佳
id, back in the day, was infamous for being Carmack’s Studio.
而我相信在 Epic 这里 设计与技术之间取得了更好的平衡
You know, at Epic, we had a little bit better of a balance, I'd like to believe,of having design versus tech.
蒂姆·斯威尼和程序员们令水体在游戏场景中呈现出了晶莹剔透的效果
Tim Sweeney and the programmers came up with an ability to make waterthat looked glistening and looked beautiful in the environment.
而玩家现在还可以在其中游泳
But, now, the player is gonna swim through this.
与蒂姆·斯威尼一同工作的马克·赖因是一个非常精明的商人
Mark Rein, the very, very savvy businessman that worked with Tim Sweeney
他劝蒂姆说: “嘿 咱们应该自己做个引擎 还能把它拿去卖♥♥”
He cornered Tim. He's like, ‘Tim, you know, we should make our own engine and we can sell this.
“而且我们不止要卖♥♥引擎 我们还要多跟买♥♥家合作 听取他们的反馈”
Not only should we sell the engine we should also partner with licensees, give them feedback,
“把他们当做合作伙伴一样 在引擎方面给予他们实际的支持 并以此来改良引擎”
and give them the actual support on the engine, and then make the engine better and work with them as partners
而这也导致了虚幻引擎业务现如今的蓬勃发展
’which led to the burgeoning Unreal engine business that it is today.
《虚幻》在那时候更注重于遍览整个世界
Unreal seemed to be that point in time when it was more about moving through a world
用现代眼光来看 它绝非一路跑到出口标识旁边然后按按钮
and it just seemed to be that was now, instead of running to the exit sign and pressing that button,
而更像是“好的 你现在经过了这个区域”
it was like, ‘No, you were, like, progressing through somewhere.’
囚犯849正在逃脱
Prisoner 849 escaping.
你出发于一艘监狱飞船上 然后直到到关卡结束
You start off in a prison ship, and then that level ends
但突然间 你又到了一颗巨大的外星星球上
but, then suddenly, you're on like a giant alien planet
你开始到处乱逛然 好奇着“我该往哪走啊?”
and you’re kind of running around for a bit like, ‘Oh, where am I supposed to go?’
然后 你发现了一个矿洞入口
And then, you find the mine entrance
等你穿过了这矿洞 走出来 就到达了这些山的山顶
and you start going through all these mines and you come out of the mineson, like, the top of these mountains.
我们没有过场来解释剧情 我们只有基本的设定:
We didn't really have cutscenes. We basically had the premise:
玩家是一艘漂浮的监狱太空船上的囚犯 这艘船坠毁于星系的“百慕大三角”中
the player is a prisoner, they’re on this floating spaceship that's a prison ship,crash lands in the Bermuda Triangle of the galaxy.
而这些千奇百怪的外星人 生物 飞船和生态环境都出现在了游戏中 与彼此联♥系♥在一起
All these different aliens and creatures and spaceships and environments are there. That tied it all together.
我们让玩家自己在游玩中寻找故事
We'd let the player just kind of find the story as they went through.
对我来说节奏就是一切 而id的游戏节奏总是过于急凑
For me, pacing is everything. id’s games were always at 11
而我坚信如果你一直紧张万分 那就像是一个人总在大喊大叫 到最后你只会将其请出门外
and I'm a big believer that, if you're always at 11, like it's like the person who shouts all the time like eventually, you just start tuning them out.
你懂的 高♥潮♥和低谷的时刻总是需要有机结合才好
You know, you have to kind of have those ebbs and those flows of those moments and
《虚幻》的第一关是我做的 在那个场景里你不会遭遇任何战斗 它只负责定下一个基调
I did the very first level of Unreal, and you really don't have any fights in that environment. It's basically just setting the tone
那就是 你在一艘坠毁的飞船里 而你会看到一些内容 作为随后将与之战斗的怪物的预告
you're in this crashed spaceship, and then you start getting teasers of the monsters that you'll later fight
这个技巧是我从《异形1》里面学到的 我是它的粉丝
which was a technique I learned from, you know, being a fan of the first Alien movie
你直到电影的第三幕之前 都看不清异形到底长啥样
where you really don't get to see a good look of the alien until Act Three.
在当时它就有了动态配乐 而且质量十分惊艳
It just seemed to have, like, this dynamic soundtrack at the time too. The music in that game is still amazing.
它与你正游玩的内容总是相得益彰
That seemed to work in tandem with what you were playing.
它不会出现那种“好吧 现在这关放的那首重金属 我都已经听过两次了”
Like, it wasn't just like, ‘Okay, now I'm playing this level, and it's playing that heavy metal track that I've heard twice already. ‘
它更像是“嘿 这环境音先前可完全没听过”
It was like, ‘No, this is like a completely new soundscape.’
大概每年一次 我和我的妻子会选一个喜欢的演员 然后看一大堆他/她们的电影
So, about once a year, when my wife and I like to pick an actor and actress that we like and burn through a lot of their movies
有一年 我提议“来吧 尚格·云顿走起”
one year, I'm like,‘Let's do Jean-Claude Van Damme.’
所以我把好几年没看过的《终极标靶》给看了
And so, I fired up Hard Target, which I hadn't seen in years
这里面有个著名的场景 尚格·云顿没有直接朝坏人开枪
and there's a famous scene in there where Jean-Claude Van Damme doesn't just shoot a bad guy
而是将煤气罐踢到了那人脸前 然后射爆了它
he kicks a gas can in front of the guy's head then shoots the gas can which explodes.
现在 回到开♥发♥《虚幻》的时候 我们有一把可以发射激光的冲击步♥枪♥
Now, I was working on Unreal, we had this shock rifle with a primary which was an instant laser beam
和一个可以作为次要火力选项的缓慢移♥动♥的光球 所以
with a slow-moving orb that came up that you could use as the alternate firearm, like
“如果你能射向光球并且制♥造♥一个大爆♥炸♥会怎么样?”
‘What if you could shoot your alternate firearm and make a mega explosion?’
武器的次要开火机制 让你可以把两样东西合二为一 不是么
Your alternate weapon mechanic does at least allow you to kind of fold two things together, right?
因此 在任何情境下 你都可以有两种方案
So, you have two ideas that you're carrying around at any given time.
我能向墙发射高射加农炮然后让子弹反弹来杀死某人
I can bounce a set of flat pellets off the wall to catch somebody
或者在更远的距离按右键发射榴弹 这是一种玩家的创造力形式
or I can lob a grenade a longer distance on the right quick That's a form of player creativity, right?
《虚幻》和《虚幻竞技场》都是在互联网发展的早期时代♥开♥♥发♥的
So much of the first Unreal and later Unreal Tournament were developed virtually right in the early days of the Internet
我还记得在南加利福尼亚的公♥寓♥里打《雷神之锤》的时候 我接到了马克·赖因的电♥话♥
and I remember sitting in my apartment in Southern California. I got a phone call from Mark Rein. I’m playing Quake One, right?
他很急切 “快下载这个叫做 Reaper Bot 的模组”
And he's like, ‘You need to download this mod for this. It's called The Reaper Bot.’
然后我去打人机 结果发现我的对手居然和真人一样厉害
Suddenly, I'm offline, but I'm playing against opponents that are as good as human players
我好奇道: “这是什么?” 然后马克告诉我说
and I was like, ‘What is this?’ And Mark’s like,
“有个在 IBM 做网络的程序员 他叫史蒂夫·波尔热”
‘Yeah, there's this this programmer, a network Programmer out of IBM, this guy named Steve Polge.
“他独自一人做出了这个模组 咱们必须想办法把他拉过来给《虚幻》做 AI”
He coded this up as a mod himself, like, and we're going to try and recruit them to do the AI for Unreal.
几年后史蒂夫加入了我们 为 Skaarj 和其他所有《虚幻》中的生物创造了惊人的AI
Years later, Steve came on board, wound up doing really, really cool AI for the Skaarj and all the creatures in Unreal
之后 我们又把这些AI又搬进了《虚幻竞技场》中
which later transferred over to Unreal Tournamentand the AI in Unreal Tournament
这又是经典的例子 一个发源于模组的事物
and it's yet another example of something cool coming out of the mod scene
最终大大影响了整个行业
that winds up being massively influentialacross the entire business.
90 年代《虚幻》问世那会儿 大伙还在用 56k 拨号♥上网
Back in the 90s, when Unreal came out, it was still on 56k dial up.
所以人机模式里面有个能把你干烂的 Bot 还是很吸引人的
So, to be able to just play multiplayer against Bots that would still kick your ass was pretty appealing.
我们得手动绘制路点 还要跟着测试 Bot 以确保他们看起来不傻
We had to manually path the environments. We had to, like, run tests with the Bots, follow them to make sure they didn't look stupid
确保它们和真人玩家玩的一样好
to make sure that they were playing as good as human players.
你现在已经不太能在游戏里见到Bot了 可能是因为开♥发♥和编程太耗时了
You don't really see Bot AI in games anymore, probably because it's too time consuming to develop and code, I would imagine
但是我知道《虚幻》和《虚幻竞技场》的 Bot 的 AI
but I know that a lot of the AI that they used for the Bots in Unreal and Unreal Tournament
基本上是从单人游戏里拿来的
was basically what just got carried over from the single player
这可能也是为什么他的单人游戏这么出色的原因 因为战斗很有挑战性
which, again, is probably why that single player was so good, because it actually had challenging combat.
我对这个游戏的起名有很多疯狂的想法
I had all these crazy ideas for what the game could be called
事后再看像《黑暗地球》这样的名字简直俗不可耐
like in hindsight, incredibly generic names like Dark Earth and things like that, right?
然后在无数邮件和线下的辩论中
And, after so many email battles, so many in person verbal fights
蒂姆最后说: “就这样吧 我们就叫他《虚幻》”
Tim finally said, ‘Look, this is it. We're just going to call it Unreal,
然后他们营销它的时候就用: 它叫做《虚幻》 是因为它就存在于虚幻中
and then the marketing came out where they're like, ‘It's called Unreal because it is.’
就这么定了
It just worked
这个游戏奠定了我作为商业上的创作者的身份
That was the game that cemented myself as a creator in the business.
说真的那是我人生最艰难的时刻
Not gonna lie, that was some of the hardest years of my life.
一天16小时都在工作 每天就是睡觉 干活 睡觉 干活 激浪是一瓶一瓶的灌
I was 16 hours a day, just working. It was sleep, work, sleep, work, sleep work, pounding Mountain Dew, cases of Mountain Dew.
我不知道怎么肾结石没长到我这 但到最后 我觉得值了
I don't know how it didn't get kidney stones but, at the end of the day, it was worth it.
事出必有因 结局虽然很美好 但却是来之不易
Everything ultimately happened for a reason. It turned out great, but it wasn't easy.
我来告诉你《毁灭公爵》的故事 那是我们第一次去 E3
I'll tell you a story about Duke. The very first E3 we ever went to
整个团队都去了 然后《毁灭公爵》在96年E3火爆全场
the whole team went, and Duke has come out as the hot game of E3 in 1996
我们到处晃悠 就是不想离开会场
and we're walking around, and we don't want to leave the hall.
电影精选列表