哪怕场地都撤了 我们也还在里面瞎晃荡
We literally are still walking in the hall after they're tearing it down
有两个欧洲人走过来问我们 “《毁灭公爵》是你们做的吗?”
and then these, these two European guys come up to us, and they ask us, ‘Did you all create Duke?’
我们应了 然后他们说 “有兴趣聊聊不?”
And we're like, ‘Yeah,’ and he goes, ‘Hey, we'd love to talk to you.’
他们做了一个可以从梯子爬进肚子去的“蜘蛛”
They had built this spider to where you could climb up this little ladder and go inside its belly,
而这就是会议室 它的每只“腿”上都有个在播放游戏的显示器
and that was the meeting room, and on each of the legs is a monitor from the games.
然后我们六个人就挤在为四个人而设计的“蜘蛛肚子”里
So, we're sitting there in a spider's belly with six people in a belly that's designed for four
他们问我们 “你们有想过成立自己的公♥司♥吗?”
and they asked us, ‘Have you ever thought about starting your own company?’
我们交换了一下眼神 “刚刚没有 但现在有了”
And we looked at each other, and we're like, ‘No, we haven't until right now.’
《雷神之锤: 灾难之争》是我第一个真正参与制♥作♥而非营销的游戏
Quake: Scourge of Armagon was my very first game where I got to actually make the game instead of market it,
我在其中设计了角色 武器 还把它们融入了世界观 我喜欢这样
so I designed the characters, I designed the weapons, but we added to the universe. I loved it.
我们知道要做什么 每次我们给他展示 他就说“挺好的 继续”
We knew what we were doing. Every time we showed him something they were like, ‘Yeah, that's good. Keep going.’
那个团队创造了有史以来最有标志性的关卡和游戏
That team created some of the most iconic levels and Quake to date
包括像 DM1 一样的地图
including levels like DM1,
它是有史以来第一个太空地图
the very first space level ever.
它不是发明了汽车那样的壮举
It's not like I invented the automobile, a very, you know
毕竟终究会有人想出在开放的 虚无的空间做一张漂浮的地图 但我确实是第一个
somebody would have come up with floating, you know, in the open, void space, but I was the first.
我一开始在办公室里做 别人路过都会问“你做什么呢?”
I started it at the office, and people would walk by and say, ‘What are you, What are you doing?’
我粗略的描述了一下我在干什么“我在做这种地形”
And I said, I've described very basically what I'm doing. ‘I'm making this flat.’
他们就说“你为什么要把时间浪费在这种做不到的事情上?”
They said, ‘What are you wasting your time for You're never gonna get?
它的帧率非常糟糕 因为需要渲染整张地图
the frame rate of these people, you can see the entire level.
因此我在家中对其不断地优化 直到它变得可玩为止
So, I stayed at home and, and got it going to where it was playable
然后别人玩了都说“嘿 这点子真不错” 而我回道“嘿 还用你说?”
and then had people start to play it, and they were like ‘Hey, this is a great idea,’ and I'm like, ‘Hey, I know.’
制♥作♥《毁灭公爵》和《雷神之锤》为我们带来了一个良好的开端
Having made Duke and a Quake game we had a pedigree at that point,
所以当我们决定《原罪》要做什么的时候 我们有了前车之鉴
when we sat down to decide what SiN was going to be about, we had a history to pull from.
我们希望能够改变电子游戏的叙事方式
We wanted to change the way video games stories were told.
“敌人全副武装 极其危险” “已授权使用致命武力 全力迎击”
Hostiles are armed and extremely dangerous. Approach with deadly force.
我们非常想要让人感觉像是身处漫画中
We really want it to feel like you're in a comic book.
“哟 射的蛮准嘛”
Hey, that was a good shot.
乔尔 托马斯 就是在这个时候加入并开始进行角色设计的
And Joel Thomas came in and started designing the characters
而我可以在世界观设计方面指导他
and I was able to direct Joel in the designing of the world.
因此 我们成功地塑造了一款伟大的漫画风游戏
So, it really shaped up to be a great comic book-like video game.
我们的关卡设计师是如此有才
We had such incredible level designers.
我们希望在单个关卡中塞入更加丰富的体验
We wanted to create more experiences within that single level
因为在那会儿的绝大部分游戏里 一旦你过了一条走道 就找不到折返的理由了
because most games, at that point, once you run through the hallway, there's no reason to go back.
所以我们就想: 如果我们能把它做成 现在这儿有条岔道
And we thought, ‘What if you made it so that, depending on what you do
但根据你先前的所作所为 你不能走这边 因为这件事你没做
there's a fork in the road, and you can't go this way, ‘cause you didn't do the right thing.’
但那边你可以走 因为那件事你做了
But, you can do this one, because you did that thing.
我们决定构建行为导向的结果
We decided to create action-based outcomes.
因此你在游戏里的举动非常重要 它会改变关卡设计 改变游戏叙事
So, your actions in the game really mattered and it changed the levels, it changed the narrative
它还能决定你能否在游戏中发现某些隐藏要素
it changed the outcome to change whether or not you could find a secret.
“还想要命的就快跑远点儿”
If you want to live, get out of here.
这是一个 为那些想要更加深层次体验的忠实粉丝们 拓展游戏深度的好法子
It was really a way to create this depth for the real fans who wanted to enjoy a much deeper experience.
在我们开始实机测试前 这点子听起来还是挺美好的
It sounds like a great idea until you start having to playtest
玩家的各种可选路径一团乱麻地排列组合 到最后简直是场噩梦
all these different permutations of the player path, and it turned out to be a real nightmare.
我们以为这个游戏玩家们不会只玩一次就停
We thought players would play the game more than once.
“不错 现在我该换条路再玩一次了”
‘Okay, now I'm gonna do it and go this way.’
然而我们从来没有得到过说这设计不错的反馈
We never got any feedback if that was any good
因为当时玩家脑子里只知道线性游戏
because all they knew was linear,
他们就算到了岔路口也意识不到自己可以换条路走
and they went that way and not thinking that you can go this way.
他们就没有这种认知 因此 我们大量的时间都打了水漂
They just didn't think this. So, it was a big waste of time.
原版《原罪》的发♥售♥实在是众说纷纭 无疑叫人百感交集
The release of the original SiN is, has definitely a lot of mixed, mixed emotions.
这无与伦比的游戏不止内容丰富 并且野心勃勃
This incredibly big ambitious game, and it had so much great content
但随之而来的也有过于多的bug 尤其是在面对《半条命》这种巨擘的时候
but it was also released with a lot of bugs up against a titan like Half-Life.
干掉《半条命》属于异想天开 但《原罪》本可成为《半条命》这个可口可乐的百事
it never would have beat Half-Life, but it would’ve been the Pepsi to their Coca Cola.
“说吧 你期望这一切该如何收场?”
Tell me, how do you expect this to end?
在《原罪》以及它的扩展包推出后 我们就没有再将这个系列摆在台面上过
We had not revisited the SiN franchise after the initial launch and the add-on pack
于是我开始了那个本该被称为《原罪2》的游戏的设计工作
and I started designing what would be SiN 2.
这事我没告诉任何人 只有我和概念设计师在偷偷干活
And I wasn't telling anyone I was doing this, just me and the concept guys.
我会这么做是因为我心里清楚“总有一天 我们是要把它做出来的”
I was doing it because I knew in my heart, ‘One day, we're going to do this.’
道格·隆巴迪是V社的副总裁 他问我
Doug Lombardi, who was the vice president of Valves, asked me
“嘿 如果让你用《半条命2》的引擎来重启《原罪》系列 你有兴趣不?”
‘Hey, how would you guys like to reboot the SiN franchise and utilize the Half-Life 2 engine to do it?’
“当然 我们肯定有兴趣”
‘Yeah, I think we want to do that.’
“相信我 他很清楚自己在做什么”
Trust me, he knew exactly what he was doing.
我们很清楚我们想要把游戏做成章节式的
We knew we wanted to make episodic content
但当你想要制♥作♥章节式内容时 一个合适的价位是必须的
but, when you make episodic content, we still need to have it at a price point
不然就没法切实地支持开♥发♥商的工作
that makes sense for the support of the developer.
因此我们想着 “要不做个20刀但是可玩内容超过四个小时的游戏?”
And so, we said, ‘How do we make a $20 game that plays more than four hours?’
就这样 我们想出了动态难度系统
Well, we came up with the dynamic difficulty system
这样的话游戏的难度就能根据玩家的水平来动态调整
so that depending on how good the player was determined the difficulty of the game.
游戏内AI开始对玩家的游玩方式做出响应
The AI started responding to how they played.
而我们在《原罪》开♥发♥中达成的最牛逼的事迹之一就是
One of the coolest things that we did with SiN episodes
让一个专业的电竞选手和一个完全没玩过 FPS 的的新手坐一起
was we sat a professional eSports player down next to a person who had never played a first person shooter
而他们都只用了60秒左右就通关了
and they finished within 60 seconds of each other
双方都回头对我们说 这是他们这辈子玩游戏以来体验最好的一次
and they Both turned around and said they had the best experience of their life playing a video game.
我们不会只为了合理性而去设计
We were just doing these things, because they made sense.
你懂的 我们自己本身也是游戏粉丝和玩家
You know, we were fans and gamers ourselves.
而这也是作为独♥立♥开♥发♥人的一股莫大的优势
That's the great power of being an independent developer.
我们之所以这么做 是因为我们希望这个市场这么做
We were doing things, because that's what we wanted the market to do
因此我们决定先成为市场中的那个榜样 让这件事不再是不可能
and we decided that we would be the example within the market that made that possible.
我叫约翰·帕克·哈蒙德
My name is John Parker Hammond.
生于1928年3月14日
I was born on March 14th, 1928.
接下来是1980到1997年间 在一座我称之为B站点的小岛上 我所经历的一系列事件
What follows is a record of certain events in which I took part between the years 1980 and 1997 on an island I’ll call Site B.
《入侵者》本该有更多大量的系统和机制
The thing about Trespasser is that it has a whole bunch of systems
如果能再给我们六到九个月的时间把它们实现的话
that probably would have worked if we had six months or nine months to finish them.
之所以会启动这个项目
The project got started basically,
主要是因为我开始痴迷于用模型间的实时动态交互取代单纯的动画脚本播放
because I became really obsessed with locomotion and modeling characters dynamically rather than as animation playback.
梦工厂那时还正在探索自己的路线
DreamWorks was trying to figure out what to be.
史蒂文当时对《侏罗纪公园》非常感兴趣
Steven was really interested in Jurassic Park at the time
而当时有人就给了我这个机会:
and so somebody offered me this like,
“嘿 只要是在《侏罗纪公园》的世界观里 你想做什么游戏就做什么”
‘Hey, you can do anything you want if it's in the Jurassic Park universe.’
“欢迎来到侏罗纪公园”
Welcome to Jurassic Park.
“一群狗♥娘♥养♥的杂种 给你们再送下去”
You crazy son of a bitch, you’re dead.
我当时觉得 行啊 做点做些两足 四足生物这样的 我能做出来的 并且会很有意思
I was like, ‘Okay, cool.’ So bipeds, quadrupeds got it, done, I could work on that. That'd be fun.’
那真的就只是我们当初对这个游戏的想法
That was exactly how much deep thought went into that.
我还记着总是能看到自己那往前伸着 摆来摆去的胳膊
Remember the wavy arm so you always have your arm extended
然后经常撞到什么东西上
in front of you, and it kind of just bumps into stuff.
游戏有那些充满bug但有趣的物理特效
There's some very, like, kind of glitchy and funny physics to the game.
我们做了很多 譬如你的武器有可能会被其他东西挡住
We went too far. We had it so the weapons could catch on things
感觉就像是真的在模拟现实
and, like, you really were simulating all that stuff
因为我真的非常努力让那种想要给你身临其境的感觉
because I was trying really hard to explore this idea of really giving you the feeling that you're somewhere.
删除 HUD 是透镜想要的最直接的给予代入感的方式
Dropping the HUD was a direct result of that Looking Glass thought process of simulating the experience.
看起来有20发
Looks like 20.
我当时有这个想法的原因是
I had this idea at the time because I was like, you know
我当时很年轻 还有那种学生思维的想法:
an extreme young, like, art school idea
当时我觉得任何需要用 HUD 来展示的东西都是失败的
that anything you had to put on a HUD was a failure.
就像你的高中英语老师说的那样 要描述 不要陈述
It's like your high school English teacher just saying ‘You know, show me, don't tell me.
受困孤岛 弹尽粮绝 还和货真价实的恐龙作伴是什么感觉?
What is it like to be low on ammo trapped on an island with real dinosaurs?’
那绝不是在你屏幕的角落里简单加减几个数字 对吧? 我们必须得做得更好
‘Okay, it's not like min/maxing like a number in the corner in your screen right? We have to do better than that.’
《入侵者》没有做完 首要原因是 我们当时属于一个刚成立的发行商
The overarching story of Trespasser that caused it to not be finished was that we were at a brand new publisher
他们没有意识到 这个年轻的工作室需要更多时间 来完成它的潜力之作
who didn't yet know that young teams was something really promising needed to just be, like, given the extra time to finish it.
他们就只是: “好 预算花完了 那就这样吧 直接发行”
Like, ‘Well, you know, you reached the end of your budget. And so that's it, we're shipping this.’
我当时只有29岁 所以我只能说: “好 行吧 就这样“
And I was like 29. I was like, ‘Okay.’
所以就变成这样了
So, there you go.
但很多创意都是在尝试中产生的
But, well hey, there are a lot of ideas in there born of the experience of trying to do
譬如说 利用不断变化的环境来叙事
immersive storytelling of trying to tell a story with an environment that live on.
主配电盘暂时下线
The main switchboard is temporarily unattended.
我总是想被别人夸成是那种预知未来的超级天才
You know, I always want to be that guy who takes credit for that I was a great genius, and I saw into the future.
但实际上我不是 这些都是非常浅显的点子
Eh, no, I mean, like these are pretty obvious ideas
我只是凑巧成为了最早实现它们的人之一
just I was lucky enough to be one of the first guys trying them out
于是我就知道自己接下来该做什么了
and so I saw clearly what needed to happen
“早安 欢迎来到黑山基地交通系统”
Good morning, and welcome to the Black Mesa Transit System.
“本自动化列车为黑山基地研究所人员提供安全及舒适的乘车环境”
This automated train is provided for the security and convenience of the Black Mesa Research Facility personnel.
我们当时提前预览了《半条命》
We started getting early previews of the Half-Life content
我现在还记得当年它给我带来的那种大脑爆♥炸♥般的震撼和冲击
and I remember that having a dramatic impact on my brain.
简直是没话说了 我当时就想: 天啊 这就是电影化叙事
I was just blown away. I was like, ‘Oh my god, this is cinematic storytelling.’
“现在时间 上午8点47分”
The time is 8:47 am.
老实说《半条命》让我觉得其他一切游戏都相形见绌
Honestly, Half-Life kind of made everything else look lame to me.
“当前地表温度为93华氏度”
Current topside temperature is 93 degrees.
我认为它将 FPS 带到了一个全新的层次
It just took FPSs to a whole different level, in my opinion.
“黑山基地交通系统中禁止吸烟或饮食”
No smoking, eating or drinking are permitted within the Black Mesa Transit System.
电影精选列表