我简直不敢相信自己的运气 我在这个行业的第一份工作
I couldn't believe my luck. My first job in the industry
在一家世界知名的公♥司♥从事尖端主机软件的工作
working on the cutting edge console at a company that was world-renowned
而那时候 我的桌子上就摆着两台 N6♥4♥ 原型机
working on technology that everyone was getting very excited about
致力于开♥发♥每个人都羡慕不己的 但确几乎无人先我一步接触到的技术
and almost no one had a chance to use it, but I had two of them on my desk, you know?
我们那时做的是制♥作♥一款邦德游戏 而我是詹姆斯·邦德的粉丝
And we were making a Bond game, and I love James Bond.
所以 就我个人而言 没有比这再高兴的事情了
So, you know, from my point of view, I couldn't have been happier.
这是我计算机动画专业大学毕业后的第一份工作
That was my first job out of college after learning computer animation.
我是一名美术 设法找到了一份工作 然后加入了这个团队
I was an artist, I managed to get a job, I managed to join this team.
谁能受得了突然进入这样的环境呢
It's a hell of a thing to suddenly just drop into.
它为我打开了大门 制♥作♥《黄金眼》已经是好多年前的事了
It opened doors for me, something rotten over the years, to say that I worked on GoldenEye.
我希望你们的胶卷够用 因为我的故事够好
This is a good story, I hope you have enough film.
《毁灭战士》就是单纯的杀杀杀“还在动! 给我死! 然后解谜!”
Doom was just murder murder murder murder.‘Oh, I see something! Murder. Oh! Puzzle’
这就是全部流程了 或者说所有 FPS 类型的游戏流程大体上都是这样的
That was the whole plot, or pretty much every single game made that is made in the first person shooter genre.
从《德军总部3D》《毁灭战士》《毁灭战士2》到《雷神之锤》 流程都是这样
Go from Wolf, Doom, Doom II, Quake that's the plot.
然而《雷神之锤2》 的开场 用了一段全动态过场
But, Quake II opens up with this full motion movie
告诉你 你在一艘空投船上
of you being in a drop ship.
它让我想起来了许多《星河战队》里的情节
It reminded me a lot of Starship Troopers.
牢记训练内容 你就能保命回家!
Remember your training,and you will make it back alive.
飞来飞去 被撞然后偏离航线
Flying around, getting knocked off course.
游戏里第一个场景进入视野时 你能看到你的空降舱 以及被它砸烂的天花板的惨状
And then, when you get into the very first room, you see the debris of where you came into the ceiling and you see your pod
你就会明白“行吧 看起来咱们这次是玩真的了 我好像还是个不速之客”
and it's like, ‘Okay, now I'm actually in a real environment and I'm the intruder.
《雷神之锤2》问世的时候 id的创始人员正在经历巨变 那时罗梅罗已经离职
By the time Quake II rolled around, we're experiencing a sea change in the people who made up id. At that point, Romero had left.
而其他具有丰富开♥发♥经验的人的加入 使得游戏的表现方式发生了巨大的变化
Having people come in who had significant development experience led to this dramatic shift in the way that the game presented itself.
我们知道我们想做点不一样的 我们想把敌人主题化 想把世界主题化
We knew we wanted to do something different. We wanted themed enemies, wanted a theme world.
故事的灵感来自于《纳瓦隆大炮》
The idea for the story was taken from The Guns of Navarone.
在这个二战故事里 盟军士兵需要摧毁纳粹的大炮好让盟军主力能够登陆
It’s this World War II story where the Allies have to take up the Nazi guns so that the Allies could land on the shore.
你通过单兵空降仓前往史卓格 而大炮根本无法命中你们这些过小的目标
You go to Stroggos in the single person pods, because you were too small to be hit by the big guns.
然后 你得降落到史卓格上 你需要找大炮 然后将其摧毁
And then, you had to land on Stroggos, you had to find the big gun, got to take it down
这样人类才好对史卓格发起进攻
so then humanity can finally attack Stroggos.
我们 作为剩余的人类 祝他们好运 也祝他们一路顺风
We, the rest of humanity, wish them luck,and Godspeed as well.
我支持《雷神之锤2》 我不是那些批评它的人
I'm pro Quake II, man. I'm another one of those guys.
人们不喜欢“续作与前作不尽相同”这件事 令我非常奇怪
It's so funny that people hate on it for doing something different which is really odd to me because
难道要让续作一成不变才好吗? 我都不知道这有什么好争论的
do you just want the second game to do the exact same thing the first game did? I've never understood that argument.
我总是喜欢在不同游戏间变换主题 激发新的灵感
I always like changing themes from game to game, generate new ideas.
说到底《雷神之锤2》压根就不该起这名
I mean, it really should have had a different name.
我们知道它跟《雷神之锤》第一部完全无关
We knew it had absolutely nothing to do with Quake One.
没在业内工作过的人 很难理解给产品起个好名字有多困难
People outside the industry do not have a good understanding of how challenging it is to name a product.
每个词都被用过了 甚至说几乎每个词组也都被用过了
Every word has been used, practically every pair of words has been used.
其中一个人想出了《WOR》 W-O-R
One of the guys came up with WOR, W-O-R,
讲真 我现在是觉得这名字比《雷神之锤2》好太多了
which I, honestly today, think was a way better name than Quake II.
你想出来了一堆炫酷名字 然后发给律师审查
You come up with a bunch of cool stuff, you send it off to lawyers
而他们只会回信告知 用任意你列在表里的名字会产生的所有风险
and they come back, and they tell you all the dangers of using any of the things that you put on your list,
我们被打击到后想 “去它的 就《雷神之锤2》了”
and we just got frustrated, and we were like, ‘Screw it, it's Quake II.’
现在回头看 这名字可能不是商业上的最佳选择
Looking back, probably not the best business decision.
这是个很有趣的工作 不像我们之前做过的那些纯线性射击游戏
It was a lot of fun to work on, not just a straightforward shooter like we had done in the past.
在实际设计时 我们很少与彼此互动交流
We rarely interacted with each other on the actual designs we were producing.
“这是你的画布 它由你来绘制”
You know, ‘This is your Canvas, you paint it,
我们每个人都会在自己创作的区域内打上自己的印记
and each one of us put our own individual stamp on the areas we created.
我们想要注重于单人游戏体验 在一个风格独特的主题世界里
We wanted to focus on a single experience in a themed world with a unique look.
你在流程里会感觉很合理 而不是突然出戏
You play through it, it makes sense. You're not just suddenly, you know, off on a tangent.
你有一个总体性的目标 这可以让玩家沉浸到故事和体验中
You had an overall objective which kind of helped the player immerse themselves in the story and the experience.
我们还做了一个中心枢纽区域 在那里你可以进入一个关卡 也可以回到原处
We also had the ability to make hub areas where you could go into one level you could go out, you could come back.
我们能讲述一个好故事
We could tell a better story.
我制♥作♥的其中一个大型隐藏关
The one big secret area that I did
某种程度上诠释了游戏的推进方式
that kind of defined how the game was supposed to work
我在这关做了一个轨道车
which was I built a tram car into that level.
如果你乘着它转了13圈 墙上的一个面板会打开
If you rode it around 13 times, there was a panel in the wall it opened up
并出现一个傻傻的漫画风格角色
and showed you a goofy looking comic book character.
《银河系漫游指南》突然出现在了我的脑中
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy kind of bubbled into my head
在那本书中 有一种名为“特拉尔贪婪野兽”的生物 它是整个宇宙中最蠢的生物
and, in that book, he had the Bugblatter Beast of Traal which is the dumbest creature in the universe.
这种设定风格与我受查克·琼斯影响的角色设定风格碰撞在一起
That kind of slammed together with my sense of characters being very influenced by Chuck Jones
产生了一些有些荒诞搞笑的角色
you know, just kind of ridiculous characters.
我认为《毁灭战士1&2》《雷神之锤1&2&3》都是非常不同的存在
I think Doom, Doom II, Quake, Quake II, Quake III, they were all like very different beasts.
《雷神之锤2》是款节奏稍慢的游戏
Quake II was a slower game.
轨道炮超高的伤害和无限的射程 着实是改变了游戏的节奏
The railgun really changed the dynamics of the gameplay because it did so much damage at essentially, you know, infinite range.
但是轨道炮其实是从阿诺德·施瓦辛格的电影《蒸发密令》里照搬来的
But, the railgun was literally ripped off from the movie Eraser with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
我回来了
I'm back
感谢阿诺德·施瓦辛格给我们送的轨道炮吧
You can thank Arnold Schwarzenegger for the railgun.
很多人不知道的是
A lot of people don't understand
FPS 里决定武器手感高低的因素往往是一些细枝末节
the subtleties that make weapons in first person shooters feel really good and really powerful and punchy.
好的霰弹枪在开火前通常有一点延迟
Great shotguns usually have a little clinky delay before they shoot
这让它们给人的感觉更加有力
which makes them feel more powerful.
如果你转动视角太快 武器会有种被拖来拖去的感觉
If you look really quick,the weapon kinda drags along a little bit.
虽说感觉会有点飘 但不影响其的精确性
It feels a bit more floaty, but it still feels as precise to shoot.
还有许多其它的小细节和屏幕效果等 都使得武器给人感觉干脆 有力且生动
There's a lot of little details there, screen effects and so on that makes weapons feel really punchy and crunchy and alive.
而且BFG也在这作回归了 还是特别酷的那种 结果大家却不怎么关心这个
Plus, it brings back the BFG and it's like a really cool version of the BFG, you know, which no one ever talks about.
然而他们却热衷于每部《毁灭战士》和它们的BFG 这就很 呃
But, I’ll talk about BFG and every other Doom game, but it's like,
“这儿还一个呢 兄弟 要不看看这个咋样?”
‘It's right here, man, you know, what about this one?’
因为我们有了彩色照明 可以创造出更好看的区域
We could, uh, create prettier areas because we had coloured lighting
大家也许都忘了 但它可是第一个用上了彩色照明的游戏 这在当时可令人特别兴奋
which many people forget, but it’s the first game to have colored lighting uh, which was very exciting at the time.
我认为游戏有许多很牛逼的元素被忽视了
There's a lot of really cool elements in that game that I think get overlooked
比如它出彩的肉体恐怖设计
说明这外星种族正不断地剥取着他们发现的每一种生物 以此延续种族的生存
like it’s got some great body horror stuff with this alien race that are, like harvesting every species they can find so they can continue to survive.
如果你开枪命中的部分真的有肢体破坏的话 感觉会相当不错
It would’ve been nice to have it actually be damaged where you shot on the body
但从技术上说 当时实在心有余而力不足 所以 你没猜错 只是上了点粗糙的贴图
but, technically, we just couldn't do that at the time. So, yeah, just another added texture of grossness.
不过我也没打算抱怨
I wasn't gonna complain.
我认为《雷神之锤2》比人们所想象的更有特色 但那部分并没有得到应有的赞誉
I do feel that Quake II is more special than I think people give it credit for.
我们做了之前从未做过的一堆东西
You know, we did a lot of things, again, that had never been done before.
在这么短的时间内一个如此小的团队能够创造出这样独特且与众不同的体验和世界 我认为是很了不起的
and with such a small team to create such a unique and different experience, a different world, in a pretty short amount of time was truly remarkable.
我的确认为 在三部《雷神之锤》中 第二部较为不出彩
I do think it gets the short end of the stick of the three Quakes|
但是在某些方面 它是我的最爱
but, in some aspects, it's my favorite.
我觉得《殖民地》这款游戏的确定义了我们对第一人称射击游戏的许多认知
I think Colony defined a lot of what we think of in terms of first person shooters.
这也是汤姆·克兰西选择联♥系♥我的原因之一
That's one of the reasons Tom Clancy got in touch with me.
大卫和汤姆有了个点子
David and Tom came up with the idea
那就是由汤姆·克兰西提供一些IP
that Tom would provide some IP
然后他们再一起为这个IP做个游戏
and they would make a game about it.
《殖民地》是他第一次在游戏中体验到一个故事
Colony is the first time he'd ever experienced a story in a game
不是像《乓》那种 单纯只能玩
versus just playing Pong or something.
我们第一次开♥发♥的游戏是一款叫做《汤姆克兰西: 海狼号♥》的游戏
The first trial run we did was the game called SSN.
这是一款潜艇模拟类游戏
It was a submarine simulator.
许多《海狼号♥》团队的成员最终都加入了开♥发♥《彩虹六号♥》的核心团队
A lot of the SSN team wound up being the core team that developed Rainbow Six
因为在《海狼号♥》取得了阶段性成功后 他们都表示“咱们该独♥立♥出去开一家公♥司♥了”
And so, once SSN was a moderate success they're like, ‘Oh okay, we should spin out a separate company
这就是“红色风暴”工作室的起源
and that would, that was going to be Red Storm.
其实《彩虹六号♥》的最初构想 是一个叫穆斯塔法·法默的兄弟提出来的
So, the original idea for Rainbow Six was created by a guy named Mustafa Famer.
他说: “你干嘛不做个以 FBI 的人♥质♥救援小队为主题的游戏呢?”
He said ‘Why don't you do a game based on the FBI hostage rescue team?’
我们听了后觉得 这主意可真不错 挺酷的
We’re like, Oh, that’s kind of cool. That’s a neat idea.’
于是汤姆开始把我介绍给他的一些朋友
Tom started introducing me to some of his friends
而这些朋友中 就有一位来自匡提科的 FBI 人♥质♥救援小队
and one of the groups he introduced me to was the FBI hostage rescue team in Quantico.
他们把我带到了一处培训设施里 这个小队准备进行一次现场训练
They took me to one of their training facilities and they were going to have a live training session.
这阵仗我以前可从没见过
I’d never see anything like that:
黑色的直升机在建筑物上方掠过 所有人都打扮得跟黑衣忍♥者一样
black helicopters that fly over these buildings, all dressed in black ninjas
他们从直升机上索降到楼顶 然后就开始大炸特炸
who rappelled down onto the top of the building, and they start blowing shit up
这个组织后勤充足 无论恐♥怖♥分♥子♥猖獗与否 他们都将给予迎头痛击
It’s an organization with the resources and the authority to fight terrorism wherever it flourishes.
所以我直接给汤姆打了电♥话♥“哥们儿 这票咱们必须得干”
So I call Tom up, ‘You know, we gotta do this.
“没有什么比这个更来劲儿了 这游戏咱们做定了”
It’s the most amazing thing. We have to do a game.’
他说“这玩意我喜欢 而且我想搞个国际部队”
He said, ‘I like that. I want an international force.’
它将由世界各国中那些最聪明也是最棒的反恐专家们构成
It would be composed of the best and brightest counterterrorism experts from every country
他还说“你接手游戏的话 成书的任务就交给我了”
And he said, ‘If you do the game, I'll do the book.’
“这支队伍将在绝对秘密的情况下运作”
It would operate in absolute secrecy
“只有最高级别的政♥府♥官员才知道它的存在”
its existence known only to the most senior government officials.
“它的代号♥是——彩虹”
Its codename is Rainbow.
这个故事的情节将围绕着那些极端环保主义者展开
The storyline revolving around, like, these radical environmentalists
他们打算通过一场大规模瘟疫毁灭整个地球
who were intending to destroy all of Earth with a pandemic
这就是我对这个故事的初步构思
that was the original story I created
而汤姆挺喜欢这个设定 决定将其写成书
and Tom decided he liked enough to write it.
这款汤姆克兰西的游戏非常有趣
The Tom Clancy games were interesting
因为它虽然是第一人称 但是它的节奏却非常缓慢 有条不紊
in that they were first person but the pace was, like, very slow and methodical.
我想玩一款我能赢的FPS
I wanted an FPS that I could win at.
我当时已经三十岁了 神经反应速度已大不如年轻的时候
I was 30 years old at the time, and so my twitch reflexes were not as good as they been.
十八岁的年轻人把我随便吊着打
I couldn't beat the 18 year olds
但我觉得我依然还保有许多的战术能力
电影精选列表