“你动静还能再大点吗?”
Could we possibly make any more noise?
“还真能”
I guess so.
比尔·盖茨曾来看过《侏罗纪公园: 入侵者》的演示
Bill Gates had come to see an early demo of Trespasser.
因为微软那时候是 DreamWorks 的投资方
because Microsoft was an investor in DreamWorks.
他对成果感到非常震撼 然后说“你们应该来微软的 Direct X 干活”
He was super impressed and he said, "You should come work at Microsoft for Direct X."
“网络代理走出门 自家网络接进来”
Forget progress by proxy, land on your own net.
“欢迎来到第三站”
Welcome to the third place.
大概在那会 索尼开始了 PS2 的公♥关♥营销
Around that time, Sony was starting to do some PR around PlayStation 2,
而我开始对打败索尼这一想法愈加兴奋
and I'm kind of getting excited about the idea of defeating Sony.
我的脑子里蹦出一个想法 那是一台专门对 Direct X 做了优化的硬件设备
The idea that occurred to me was that it should be basically a hardware device, optimized for Direct X.
换句话说它就是 Direct X Box 这就是一种营销技巧
So it's a Direct X box, and that was, like, a part of the sales technique.
“它能把 Windows 系统搬进客厅”
"This will get Windows in the living room."
我们当时有这么多正在开♥发♥的电脑游戏
We had all these PC games in development.
完全可以轻而易举地把内容移植进去
We could just easily port our stuff over to it.
当然 事实完全不是这样 这个想法太天真了
Of course, that was not at all what happened and was incredibly naive.
这是一款纯粹的游戏机 而且一直都会是一款纯粹的游戏机
It was a pure game console, it was always gonna be a pure game console.
我他妈的才不管这东西到底能不能运行Windows 明白?
I didn't even fucking care if it ran Windows, okay?
不过 我们不是这么和微软高管说的
But, that's not what we told the Microsoft executives.
我想向你们展示一些东西
I wanted to show you something.
我告诉他们它可以把 Windows 操作系统搬进客厅 这无疑是个明智之举
We told them that this was smart, because it would get the Windows operating system into the living room.
它将采用PC架构和英特尔处理器
It's going to use a PC architecture and an Intel processor,
但它不会真的会运行 Windows 系统
but it's not really going to run Windows.
于是 我们开了个大会议
So then, we were, went into a big meeting.
整个房♥间坐满了公♥司♥高管 人多到大长桌周围都坐不下
The room was full of vice presidents, so many that they couldn't fit around the big long table.
有些高管还得靠着墙
There were vice presidents along the walls too.
然后 进来的最后一个人是比尔
And then, the last person to come in was Bill,
比尔手里拿着我们的 PPT 打印稿
and Bill was carrying our PowerPoint deck, a printed copy of it
他走进来然后把稿件甩在桌子上
and he walks in and throws it down the table and says,
然后说“这他妈的是对我在公♥司♥所做的一切的侮辱”
"This is a fucking insult to everything I've accomplished at this company."
这就是会议的开头部分
and that was the start of the meeting.
我本来以为我要被微软炒鱿鱼 以后只能靠失业救济金过日子
I expected to be fired from Microsoft and never be able to get another job again.
比尔因为我们做出的技术决定而对我们嚷嚷了一阵子
So, Bill would yell at us for a while about the technology decisions we had made,
然后我们只是不停地说“我们已经花了整整一年研究这个问题
and we just kept saying, "You know, we've spent a year looking at this.
“如果你想进入这个市场 那么我们确信这就是进入市场的办法”
If you want to get into this business, we're confident this is the way to do it."
然后鲍尔默问: “那索尼怎么办?”
And then Ballmer says, "What about Sony?"
然后比尔说“我觉得我们应该这么做”
And then, Bill says, "I think we should do this."
凯文和我一起去了东京游戏展
Kevin and I were going to the Tokyo Game Show.
我们搭了地铁 车站门开了 我们走了出去
We rode the train, and the subway doors opened, we walked out,
整个车站都贴满了 XBox 的商标
and the whole subway station was covered with XBox logos.
这也太离谱了 其实 我以为我真的要被炒鱿鱼了
It was so insane, given the fact that, really, I was just expecting to be fired.
也许比尔从这群怪咖里面看到了什么东西
He saw something in this group of weirdos.
我觉得这让他想起了微软的立足之本
I think they reminded him of the start of Microsoft,
而立足之本应该发扬光大 所以他支持我们 而这可不是件小事
and that, that is should be made to work, and he supported us, and that was a really big deal.
那时候是2000年2月 我们是在2001年11月启动的
That was February, 2000. We were launching November, 2001.
我的意思是 那时候还有不到两年的时间 我一直在尽我所能找到合作项目
I mean, that's less than two years away. I was looking for anything I could get.
我们把一些电脑游戏移植到游戏机里面去
We were taking some of our PC lineup and repurposing it for console,
我 以及我的整个商务团队
and I was, me and my whole deal team,
我们在全世界范围内哪怕是掘地三尺 也要找到合适的项目
we were out shaking the trees all around the world to try to find projects.
我们开始看到一些优秀的游戏回到了 Mac 电脑上
We are starting to see some great games come back to the Mac
但其中有一款是我见过的最酷的游戏
but this is one of the coolest I've ever seen.
团队里的每个人都知道我们和《光环》系列有着千丝万缕的关系
Everybody on the team knew that we had something special with Halo.
事情是这样的 有天我正坐在我的办公室里
Basically, I was sitting in my office one day and my phone rang,
然后我的电♥话♥响了 是皮特·谭特打来的
and it was Peter Tamte on the line.
他多少跟我透露了 Bungie 的情况不太好
He more or less told me that things weren't going that well at Bungie,
他们找不到活干
that they were going out of business.
当微软收♥购♥ Bungie 的时候 我们对故事
When Microsoft bought Bungie, we had some broad ideas about a story,
几个角色 载具和武器有了些大概的想法
and a few characters, vehicles and weapons.
我们的多人游戏设计很有趣 像是4对14的游戏模式
We had a really fun multiplayer game that was like a 4 on 14 game.
我们没有可用的AI敌人 也没有什么明确的任务计划或者脚本
We didn't have working AI. We did not have anything like a mission plan or a script.
《光环》的早期迭代其实非常滑稽
The early iterations of Halo were pretty hysterical.
它一开始不是什么第一人称视角射击游戏
It did not start out as a first person shooter.
而是一款策略游戏
It actually started out as a strategy game.
它起初还不是射击游戏 直到我们给一款我做的小型四驱载具制♥作♥了一些载具的物理效果
It wasn't until we had built some vehicle physics for a little 4x4 type vehicle that I had built,
我们指挥它从一个地方移♥动♥到另一个地方
and we would command it to move from one location to the other,
能看到那种载具和地形交互的物理效果还是蛮酷的
and it was pretty cool to see the physics, and the interaction with the vehicle and the terrain,
看到这种结果 我们就想
and we got to the point where we're thinking,
“为什么要让AI开车? 为什么不让我们自己开?”
"Why are we letting the AI drive these around? Why don't we start driving it ourselves?"
这是我们迈出的第一大步 项目开始向2001年所有人玩到的《光环》的方向靠拢
That was the very first big step that we took in turning it into something that would somewhat resemble the Halo that we played in 2001.
我们意识到“脚踏实地地扮演这些小小陆战队员真是有趣得多了”
We realized, 'Wow, it’s…It's way more fun to play on the ground as one of these little tiny Marines.'
被这些漂亮的科幻景观所环绕 尽可能靠近去感受这一切
surrounded by all this beautiful sci-fi landscape, being as close as possible to the, to the action.
这些第一人称视角的演示 触动了我们很多人
That first person perspective just touched a lot of those bases for us.
紧凑的战斗循环应该是怎么样的? 科幻世界如何带来极致的沉浸感?
What felt like a tight combat loop? What felt super immersive in the sci-fi world?
怎么样才能大卖♥♥?
What made business sense?
我们特别想要创造一个美丽的世界
We specifically wanted to create a world that was beautiful,
一片玩家会流连忘返乐在其中的地方
a place the player would want to stay and play in.
在《毁灭战士》中 你会同时面对成百上千的敌人 我们的游戏最多需要你面对八个敌人
In DOOM, they throw hundreds of enemies at a time at you. We could have, like, eight.
所以 我们必须让敌人得比《毁灭战士》的更能拉锯
So, we had to have enemies that would last longer than that,
存活时间更长的同时 还要足够聪明 会撤退和包抄玩家
and could live longer and were, you know, smart enough to retreat and flank you.
在这宏大的战斗中 不仅有室外场景 也有室内场景
There was outdoors and indoors in the middle of this huge battle,
我这时可以跳上队友开着的疣猪号♥ 然后我就可以在载具后面使用转轮机♥枪♥ 你懂吧?
and then I can jump into a Warthog somebody's driving, and I can be running the chain gun on the back, you know?
如果它不能如同《雷神之锤》那样流畅 或者说不能如同《半条命》那样精确
If it didn't feel as fluid as Quake or if it didn't give you the precision of Half-Life,
那么它就不够好
it wasn't good enough.
那么 当开始用手柄游玩的时候 有了模拟控制
So, when it came to starting to play with a controller that had analog controls,
我们就可以轻推摇杆缓步前进 从而做到了此前我们使用键鼠从来没有做到的事情
and we could creep along at our own pace, we could do things that we just never could do with a keyboard and mouse.
我见证了手柄的每一次迭代 他们正在研究的那些手柄项目里
I saw every iteration of controller that they were working on,
其中一些相当狂野
and some of them were pretty wild.
Duke手柄只是那天他们带来的三十份木制原型的其中之一
The Duke was just 1 of 30 wooden prototypes that they brought by that day.
我记得我第一次拿起 Duke 手柄的时候
I remember the first time I held the Duke controller.
那时我觉得自己像是在拿着一片大号♥餐盘
I remember thinking I was holding a giant dinner plate.
Duke手柄真的很大 我觉得要用推车才能带着它到处走
Duke controller is so big. I almost need a trailer to move it around.
每次我去日本 我得到的反馈永远都是
Whenever I went to Japan, constant feedback I would get is,
“它太黑了”“黑色是代表死亡的颜色”
"It's black." "Black is the color of death."
“X是代表死亡的标志”“Xbox 就是死亡之盒”
"X, X is the letter of death." "Xbox, it’s the death box."
我就说“PS也是黑的”
I'd be like, "The PlayStation is black."
他们就说: “啊 那个那个倒是没什么问题 ”
They"d be like, "Oh well, that's, that's okay."
“手柄的重量应该 和手里的一汪清水等重”
The controller should weigh the same weight as water in your hands.
“好吧 在我的手里和一汪清水一样重 好吧 ”
"Okay, it's the weight of water in my hands, okay."
作为一种宣告 作为一种品牌表达 作为微软第一次踏入游戏界
As a statement, as a expression of the brand, as Microsoft's first,
感觉还不错 感觉整体都很不错
you know, foray into this world, it felt right. It all felt part of a piece.
抱歉 士官长 解冻得有点太快了
Sorry for the quick thaw, Master Chief.
人们无法回答 “你是否想要反转Y轴?” 这样的问题
People could not answer the question of, "Would you like your y-axis normal or inverted?"
因此 我们必须想出一个能让他们能顺其自然的解决办法
So, we had to come up with a way to get them to choose entirely based on what came naturally to them.
只需要看着每一个闪光的面板 瞄准他们
Just look at each of the flashing panels to target them.
所以 士官长从冷冻睡眠中醒来
So, the chief waking from cryosleep,
这给了我们一个绝佳的机会 让玩家能够选择适合他们的操作方法开始游戏
it gave us this perfect opportunity to get off on the right foot immediately.
“好的 看起来不错 ”
"Okay, that looks good."
我们花了不少时间来发掘我们能在这个宇宙中做些什么
Took quite a bit of time for us to kind of explore some of the universe and what we could do.
就在那时 我们聘请了乔·斯塔顿 然后我们开始真正地深入故事撰写当中
That was when we hired Joe Staten, and we started really delving deeper into writing the story.
团队已经完成了大量的世界观搭建 还有人物形象的塑造
The team had already done a huge amount of world building, character creation.
乔在赋予士官长个性的同时 又没有让他露脸 这启发了我们很多
Joe brought a lot to the table in giving the Master Chief a personality without ever showing his face.
对我来说 塑造士官长形象的途径是通过他的搭档科塔娜
For me, the way into Master Chief's character actually wasn't through him but rather through his partner,
而非他本人
through Cortana.
“睡得还好吗?”
Sleep well?
“托你驾驶技术的福 就那样”
No thanks to your driving, yes.
我敢说 没有科塔娜就没有《光环》
I firmly believe you can't have Halo without Cortana.
我最喜欢的一个镜头 就是当你传送到 悬停在环带上空的星盟飞船里面的时候
One of my favorite cinematics is where you return to the Covenant ship that's floating over the Halo ring.
“喔! 我懂了! 坐标数据需要...”
Oh, I see, the coordinate data needs to be…
“好吧 抱歉”
Right, sorry.
现在 士官长不必说什么
Now, the chief didn't have to say anything.
他只需要诚实地对她——脑袋里的那个她做出反应
He just had to react in an honest way to this, this person inside his head.
这些时刻向玩家展示了士官长的性格是什么样的
Those moments showed players what Master Chief's personality is.
我们越是推动这些角色之间的互动
The more we've pushed those kinds of character interactions with one another,
这些角色之间的关联就越强
the more kind of relatable those characters became.
“现在还不走可就晚了”
Now would be a very good time to leave.
她能够破坏星盟的安保系统 深入古代外星科技
She could crack Covenant security systems, dive into ancient alien technology.
“你还好吧?”
You all right?
我们想要确保她的个性能够代表她的能力
We wanted to make sure that her personality represented, you know, these, these things that she was capable of.
“十几艘优势的星盟主力舰 对付一艘翠鸟级巡洋舰”
A dozen Covenant superior battleships against a single Halcyon-class cruiser.
“在此等劣势下 能击毁3...4艘敌舰 我已经很满意了”
With those odds, I'm content with three, make that four kills.
从一开始 《光环》就有多人模式 我们可以将电脑联网
So, from the very beginning, Halo had multiplayer, we could network our computers.
电影精选列表