事后看来 狼堡中的秘密房♥间
The secret rooms in Wolfenstein were, in hindsight,
比我们在游戏发♥售♥前所想的要重要许多
way more important than we thought they were gonna be before the game was released.
它们极大地提升了游戏的可玩性
You know, they added a ton of replayability.
这些房♥间能让你意识到地图之外别有洞天
You know, this gave you the sense that there was more of a world out there to explore.
现在的人们会默认所有的 FPS 都有隐藏区域
People now totally expect all FPS games to have secret areas,
这要归功于《德军总部3D》
and it all started with Wolfenstein.
我们知道自己做了一款热门
We really felt like we had a major hit on our hand.
毫不夸张地说 我们收到了一整袋粉丝来信
We had, literally, the big bags full of fan mail.
三个章节 我们卖♥♥35美元
Three episodes, we sold for, like, $35.
然后六个章节 卖♥♥50美元
Six episodes, it would be a $50 package.
有百分之95的销♥售♥额来自六个章节的大包
95% of our sales was for the full six episodes.
当时 人们买♥♥游戏要先填写支票 再把支票寄给经销商
To pay for the games, people had to write checks, and they had to mail them.
《指挥官基恩》卖♥♥得很好 他拿着我们第一张支票
Commander Keen sold really well. He got our first check.
一张一万美元的支票 他说: “我们赚钱啦!”
It’s $10,000. ‘We can live on that!’
还说: “我们可以开酒吧啦!” 结果狼堡比这多十倍
It’s sort of, like, ‘We’ll buy a bar together!’ And Wolfenstein sold ten times more than that.
多少!?
What!?
一张共享软件游戏一个月能卖♥♥二十五万美元?
A quarter million bucks the first month on a Shareware game?
我是大学辍学做游戏的 当时身边的人都觉得我
I dropped out of college to make video games, and everybody thought I was
他妈的疯掉了
absolutely fucking insane.
“你跑到千里之外就为了玩游戏?”
‘You’re moving a thousand miles away to play video games?’
—“是去做游戏” —“那也很蠢啊!”
‘No to make them.’ ‘That’s dumb too!’
全纹理材质场景真是让我大开眼界
It absolutely blew my mind seeing fully textured environments and to,
更不用说你还能看见枪管
to see down the barrel of the gun.
纳粹士兵 军犬以及最后与机甲希♥特♥勒♥的战斗体验
The intensity of the experience of fighting the Nazis and, of course, their dogs and then, later on, Mecha Hitler
征服了我 我认为它改变了一个世代
just completely changed me, and I think it completely changed an entire generation.
我从未见过这样的3D电脑游戏 墙壁会随着视角转动
I’d never seen a PC game like this that was in 3D where you moved with the walls
敌人嚷嚷着德语向你冲锋 真是刷新了我的认知
and guys came at you and shouted in German, and it 100% changed my life.
在《德军总部3D》之前 我标榜自己是一名 RPG 死忠粉
Before Wolfenstein 3D, I would’ve branded myself as only interested in, like, role playing games.
狼堡3D以后 我成了一名射击游戏迷
I became a big fan of shooters after Wolf 3D.
这问题简单 我这辈子最爱的 FPS 是《毁灭战士》
My all time favorite FPS is Doom. That’s easy.
《毁灭战士》的冲劲好比一匹脱缰野马
Doom just hit like a freight train.
我在玩的时候 满脑子只有“哇哦”
When I played it, I just remember thinking, ‘Wow!’
联机模式更是让人欲罢不能
Playing that networked was just mind blowing.
它够快 够暴♥力♥ 够激♥情♥
It’s fast, it’s violent, it’s kinetic.
《毁灭战士》的诞生注定与众不同
Doom was such a statement that, ‘This is something different.’
它是后世所有 FPS 的奠基石
It is the foundational DNA from which everything descends.
我想20年 30年后依然会有人玩这款游戏
I still think people will be playing it 20, 30 years from now.
好的游戏设计真是不会过时
Great game design never goes out of style.
“这是《毁灭战士》? 不! 这是文艺复兴!”
This is Doom. No, this is the renaissance.
“这是文艺复兴!”我像疯子一样重复着这句话
This is the renaissance, and I just kept saying it over and over like a madman.
《毁灭战士》永恒!
Doom is eternal
我们在一月发布了一则新闻稿
We put out this press release in January
在正式开工之前就向世界公布
before we even started programming the thing saying,
“这款游戏的发♥售♥将带来一次电脑技术的重大突破”
‘This is gonna be the biggest PC breakthrough ever, this game, when it comes out.’
可我们连发♥售♥时间都没定
And we didn’t even know when it was gonna come out.
真是荒唐 现在没人会这么做
Unbelievable, like no one would ever do that now.
约翰·卡马克在《德军总部3D》之后花了几个月的时间钻研新技术
John Carmack spent several months with a post-Wolfenstein technology that he had developed,
他当时认为要做一款炫酷的次时代游戏就不能再使用2D矩阵
and he decided, like, ‘We can’t use a 2D matrix to make a next gen, really cool looking game.
否则会太像德军总部
It’ll be too Wolfenstein-like.
在我青少年时期 史蒂夫·乔布斯离开苹果的时候
I remember, as a teenager, when Steve Jobs had left Apple
当然 乔布斯和沃兹尼亚克是我年少时的偶像
and, of course, Jobs and Wozniak were superheroes to me in my youth,
作为一名Apple Ⅱ小粉丝 我尤其关注当时乔布斯的闹剧
being an Apple II fanboy and all this and seeing the, the drama of Steve Jobs
知道他是怎么被踢出苹果 成立新公♥司♥
being kicked out of Apple and going to found a new company
然后又做出一款先进的操作系统
building this absolutely state-of-the-art system.
1985年的春天 他在苹果的权力斗争中败下阵来
In the spring of 1985, he lost the power struggle inside Apple
并离开了由他一手创办的公♥司♥
and left the company that he had created.
他花了一个夏天去思考人生的下一步
He spent the summer considering his next move.
1988年 我们发明了超级计算机
In 1988, we have developed supercomputers
它能在一秒之内进行二十亿次运算
that are capable of performing two billion calculations per second.
但要价一万多美元
But it was $10,000 plus.
那时我连300美元的硬盘都买♥♥不起
At that time, I couldn’t even $300 for a hard drive.
但到了《指挥官基恩》大卖♥♥
But, once we got to the point where Commander Keen was doing quite well,
《德军总部3D》即将推出的时候 一切似乎欣欣向荣
Wolfenstein 3D was ready to go out, it looked like we had traction,
成功似乎触手可及 而我的存款正好有一万五千多美元
we were heading towards success, I had $15,000 or something available to me.
于是我就决定买♥♥一台看看
and I went, and I bought one of the next computers.
每秒二十亿次运算——
Two billion calculations per second, second, second.
我们都为科技的发展感到高兴
It was a great example of just being excited about technology
掌握更先进的工具也就意味着开♥发♥更好的产品 造福后世几代人
leading us to some tools that helped us make significantly better products for a couple generations after.
《毁灭战士》刚发♥售♥ 我立马就意识到 我要进军游戏产业
I immediately knew, when Doom came out, that I needed to get into the gaming industry.
他们在一年之内就有了显著的进步 游戏有了天花板和地板
The advances just in one year that they did, they had the ceilings and floors,
还有通往不同楼层的阶梯 真是了不起
the steps you could go up and down. It’s just amazing.
我一直有用Doom编辑器做过一些小关卡
I had been working on the Doom editor for a while making little pieces of levels
但实际上是汤姆·霍尔全职负责关卡设计
and, really, Tom Hall, full on making stuff, like making levels.
而且不只是关卡 他还会尝试一些更酷的东西
Not even full levels but just like, you know, trying to make something that was cool
因为我们从来没见过九十度的墙以及正常高度的天花板之外的东西
and, because we had never seen anything other than 90 degree wall mazes with fixed height ceilings,
约翰就说: “你要不去找些军事建设用书”
John said, ‘Why don’t you get books on military construction
“用来给外太空关卡做参考?”
and use that as a guide to figure out the spaces?’
虽然汤姆不怎么想要这种风格 但还是照做了
So, Tom did that, even though it wasn’t what he really loved.
我对游戏整体的想法是
My vision for the whole arc of the game was
你先是来到月球上的某座科研基地
you are in sort of science base on a moon, and then
然后通过传送门来到第二章 也就是地狱
you go through a portal for the second episode, and you’re in hell.
我想在其中加一点现实元素
I might add, like, realistic kind of senses of place like,
让你知道“哦我现在在控制室”“哦这里我知道该怎么走了”
‘Oh now, I’m in, you know, the control room’ or, you know, ‘I’m here, and so I can get my bearings.’
汤姆看了那些军队建设书 开始依葫芦画瓢
Tom was going through these military books and starting to make some levels like that.
但是结果不咋地 不足以让你感叹: “哇 太牛了!”
Nothing interesting. Nothing that, when you go through, it goes, ‘Wow, this is amazing!’
于是我就和汤姆提议 要不我也看看书 我也试试
And so, I told Tom, ‘I’m gonna try and figure out if I can, like,
看能不能做点什么出来 我就说: “我们到底要什么?”
come up with the look, like, ‘What is it that we’re doing?
“假如这个房♥间能在《德军总部3D》里实现 那不如不做”
If a room could have been made in Wolfenstein, we failed.
我们必须全部推倒重来 “什么才能脱颖而出?”
So, we need to just, like, change everything. What’s gonna really stand out?
对我来说是反差:
To me, it felt like it was gonna contrast:
光线的反差 空间的反差 玩法的反差
contrast in light, contrast in space, and contrast in gameplay.
于是我做了一个有高低差的房♥间
I started to make a room that had scale
心想要和《德军总部3D》的天花板彻底划清界限
that was, like, ‘Forget that ceiling that we were using for Wolfenstein.’
我把房♥间的高度拉高 挖空几个比较高的位置 在那里打好光
So, I made a room that was really high, side areas that were really high up that have light in them and really bright,
房♥间很暗 这些很高 很亮的空间有怪物向你投下火球
so the room’s dark, these really high, bright areas have monsters up there throwing fireballs
这样玩家和敌人不在同一水平面上
down at you, so we’re not on the same plane being attacked.
我得保证玩家能看见怪物 因为看见高处的敌人很酷
But, I needed the player to see it, ‘cause it would look really cool to see something that high up.
房♥间中光线闪烁 怪物伺机而动 墙壁又呈斜角姿态
I had the light going and the monsters and the scale, angled walls, all these things that, like,
你在《德军总部3D》里可见不到这个房♥间
this room could not exist in Wolfenstein.
我很高兴我能在让游戏运行得更快的同时
So, I was very happy that I was able to make something that was both
只需做出极少的微调就能兼顾游戏的质量
faster and, in some ways, higher quality by making a slightly different set of trade-offs
像有角度的墙壁这类非常灵活的新特色
while still getting all this new flexibility with the angled walls
奠定了《毁灭战士》的地图设计思路
which really defined the Doom map-making space.
最后 汤姆和美术来看成果 他们当场表示: “对嘛 这才像样”
So, the artist came in, and Tom came in, and they’re just like, ‘Yeah, that’s what we’re talking about.’
“我们就这么做游戏”
And, like, ‘That’s how we need to make this game.’
《毁灭战士》既是一款动作游戏 也是一款恐怖游戏
Doom is as much of a horror game as it is an action game.
它让我感到害怕 它的确有让人虎躯一震的时刻
It scared me. It, it actually had moments in it that would make you jump.
我们经常谈到对《毁灭战士》有所启发的两部电影:
We always talked about how the two cinematic influences for Doom was
《异形》和《鬼玩人2》
Aliens and Evil Dead II.
影片中闪烁的灯光 昏暗的环境
They were about these moments where the lights are flickering, you can’t see what’s going on,
阴影中潜伏着的未知生物
something’s coming out of the darkness at you.
都是我们想要捕捉的元素
And that was what we, we really wanted to capture.
在思考游戏的美术风格的时候
When I was coming up with a style,
我想做一些和当时的电子游戏截然不同的东西
I wanted something that was different from what you generally saw in video games,
那时的游戏都色泽明快
at the time, which was pretty clean, bright colors
于是我想做阴暗 邋遢一点的
and I wanted something dark and grungy.
那是邋遢风格的年代: 音乐 时尚 应有尽有
That was the grunge era: music, the clothes, everything.
我要听见怪物的声音——不只是门的声音——我要听见它们在找我
I want to hear the monsters, not just hear the doors. I want to hear them looking for us.
我要让玩家害怕 游戏要黑
I want the player to be terrified. This is a dark game that
用远处的灯光自动地从明到暗制♥造♥悬念
needs to be suspense with diminished lighting going from bright to dark automatically in the distance,
总之是一台全自动恐惧引擎
It’s, like, automatic scary engine.
即将经过转角时 你能听见怪物的喘息声
You’d be going around the corner, and then you hear, like, some monster breathing or something, and you,
你会打起精神 全程不会松懈
you know, it gets to you. You’re very alert. You’re very on edge the whole time you’re playing.
我做 E1M3 的时候
So, when I was making E1M3,
来到关底 想着: “关底应该放些什么呢?”
I got all the way to the very end. I’m like, ‘What am I gonna do at the very end?’
就摆个出口吗? 不行
Like, ‘Put the exit there? No?’
然后我想: “让玩家原路返回整个关卡怎么样?”
So, ‘I think we should make the player go back through the whole level.’
直接放玩家去拿钥匙卡其实没什么意思
When they see the key card, it would be boring if you go up to it, and you pick it up.
他们在来的路上就把怪物杀完了 关卡里已经没有活物
Everything’s dead all the way all the way back through the level. Everything’s already been killed.
那么问题来了 怎么做才能再吓他们一次
So, it’s like, ‘How do I, like, terrify the player right then?’
电影精选列表