在《半条命2》期间 《军团要塞2》的开♥发♥停止过一段时间
Team Fortress 2 stopped being in development for a while during Half-Life 2.
《半条命2》急需发♥售♥ 于是我们只能重新审视我们的选择
Half-Life 2 really needs to ship,and then we'll revisit our options sort of later.
当我们重启《军团要塞2》的开♥发♥时 我们就决定这次绝不会搞砸
We start working on Team Fortress 2 again, and we decide this time, ‘We’re, We're not going to screw it up.’
“我不是个疯狂枪男啊 老爸 我是个杀手”
I’m not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin.
“这是进展的声音 我的朋友”
It’s a sound of progress, my friend.
我们应该寻找一种非真实感
We should be looking at non-photorealistic stuff here.
它不一定非得是那种纹理逼真的世界 就像动画片一样
It doesn't have to be the sort of textured, you know, photorealistic world. Where you're just taking the most important parts,
你只需要找到最重要的部分 然后刻意把它们尽可能地放大
you know, just like any cartoon,taking the most important parts, and blowing them up as big and bright as possible,
而这与《军团要塞》的玩法也十分契合 这正是我们不自知的那部分需要
and that really fit the Team Fortress gameplay in a way that we needed and didn't know we needed.
看看这个 太神奇了
I mean, look at it. It's just amazing.
Valve 设法做到了不用任何战役去讲述一个有趣 引人入胜的故事
Valve managed to tell a pretty interesting, funny, engaging story without any sort of campaign.
于是你肯定会扪心自问 他们是怎么做到的?
So, you have to ask yourself, ‘How did they manage to do that?’
像每次我们制♥作♥一个角色宣传片 我们都想着:
Like, every time we made a video, we're like, ‘
“我们可以把关于这个角色最有趣的地方拿出来并且做到游戏里”
Oh okay,here's what's exciting about a character. We can take that, and we can put it, like, back into the game.
狙击手有他的瓶手道 他可以把尿瓶砸到敌人身上
Sniper has his jarate, you know, these jars of piss that he throws at people .
虽然很怪 但那个就是从角色宣传片里来的
Like that's, that's strange. That's from the video.
我想作为一个当今的第一人称射击游戏玩家 我们都了解所谓英雄类射击的概念
I think we all understand, as FPS players today, the concept of the hero shooter,
像是可供选择的有趣角色 各式好玩的发型 服饰和声音
you know, having interesting characters that you can pick from, and they all have an interesting hairstyle and costume and voice,
而我就要选那一刻最让我感兴趣的角色
and I'm gonna pick the one that most appeals to me in the moment.
在我看来 这个想法的基石就是《军团要塞2》
That idea doesn't exist in my opinion without Team Fortress 2,
因为在长日将尽 只要这颗星球上还幸存有两个人
Because, at the end of the day, long as as two people left on a planet
其中一个总会想要另一个的命
someone is gonna want someone dead.
我是在网吧里第一次玩到《极度恐慌》
F.E.A.R., when I first played it, it was like at a, a LAN center.
在一众网吧里 我常去的那个光线昏暗 而且十分安静
Those LAN centers, the one I used to go to, was dark, and it was, like, quiet.
所有人都只是在不停地点击鼠标
Everybody’s just click, click, click, away.
你好好地坐在那儿 玩着你自己的
You're just sitting there, and you're playing and,
然后突然之间 就像坐在你旁边的人打开了一袋薯片
all of a sudden, like, someone, like, goes to open a chip bag next to you.
啊!我去
Wow, okay.
我还 我还在现实世界
I'm still, I'm still in the real world.
在画面上 我们真的做到了极致
We really pushed the envelope on graphics.
只要你的硬件达标 游戏看起来就棒呆了
It looked amazing if you had the right hardware,
而游戏灵感则来源于那会刚刚在美国开始流行的日式恐怖电影
and it was in a world that was inspired by Japanese horror movies which were just becoming a popular thing in the US.
美版《午夜凶铃》在那会刚刚推出
A remake of The Ring was coming out.
它给我看了些东西
He shows me things.
吓人的部分真是太棒了 因为它能打你个措手不及
The scary stuff is great, because it kind of catches you off guard.
而他们貌似特别了解这么干的时机
They just really seem to know when to do it.
阿尔玛总是被安排在最刺♥激♥的时候现身
Alma was always scripted to come out at poignant moments.
你刚刚从一场苦战中脱身 找到小憩片刻的时候
You had gotten through a hard battle and you were, like, relieved and then,
然后就“坏了! 阿尔玛来了!”
‘Oh no! There’s Alma!’
这完美地平衡了恐怖要素与夸张至极的枪战动作体验
That perfectly manages to balance that horror element with over-the-top gunplay in action.
这可能仍然是你能在整个品类里找到的最佳作
Still probably some of the best you'll get in the whole genre.
当谈起《极度恐慌》里的AI时 人们总是觉得它十分成功
When people said the AI in F.E.A.R as something that was really effective.
我想创造一种真正智能的东西 它可以自己思考
I wanted to create something that was truly intelligent and could think for itself.
我想给人工智能系统提供一个构件 让它能实时地 好比说:
I just wanted to give the building blocks to an AI system that, in real time, could say,
“好吧 如果这个是目标 那我就得找到一连串能够达成该目标的行动”
‘Well, if this is the goal, I gotta find a sequence of actions that can satisfy that goal,
我可以搜索行动空间 然后以处理器能处理的最快速度尝试不同的动作组合”
and I can search the space of actions and try them out in different combinations as fast as a processor can handle.’
“后退 看到他们了吗? 别让他跑了”
Fall back. Do you see them? Don’t let it get away.
我们让环境更具可互动性
We made the environment more interactive with shelves
敌人可以推倒架子来阻挡你 也可以把桌子翻过来当作掩体
the enemies could knock over to get in your way or tables they could flip to create cover,
还可以从窗户潜入来躲避或者给你个惊喜
windows they could dive through to get away from you or to surprise you.
他们会像发电报一样传达下一步行动 你能听到他们相互交流的声音
They sort of telegraph their movements, you hear them sort of communicating with each other,
这就像是在给你传达情报
and that sort of conveys an intelligence,
告诉你他们知道你在做什么 以及他们的下一步计划
announcing to you what they knew about what you were doing and what they plan to do next.
可能你正在通风管道里爬来爬去 忽然听到一个敌人抬头喊道:
You might be crawling around through the air ducts when you hear one of the enemies look up and say,
“他在通风管道里!”
He's in the vents!’
“他在天花板上!”
He’s in the ceiling!
当你的角色是设计出来观察并谈论他们周围的世界时 就有可能出现这种时刻
And those kinds of moments are, are possible when you have characters that are designed to observe and talk about the world around them.
《极度恐慌》的另一个亮点 就是它的武器
The other thing that holds up well about F.E.A.R. is certainly its weapon set.
你瞧 我觉得“穿透者”这个名字 对一把枪来说简直是美妙绝伦
You know, I think about the, the Penetrator, just a fabulous name for a gun.
《极度恐慌》的霰弹枪 是最好的霰弹枪
Best shotgun, and this is not up for debate, is F.E.A.R. Shotgun.
这甚至没有辩论的余地 如果有人不同意 那就是他错
If there's anyone who argues it’s just incorrect.
之所以这么说 是因为有史以来从没有过任何一把霰弹枪
There's actual fact that is best shot gun because there's never been a shot gun ever,
除了这把 可以在朝敌人开火的瞬间把对方变成一团血雾
apart from that, that lets you shoot someone, and they will just turn into mist.
所以 《极度恐慌》应该给人一种动作片的感觉
So, Fear was supposed to feel like an action movie where things should be just happening around you,
在你的身边会发生诸如水瓶碎裂 吊灯坠下等等事件
bottles should be breaking, and chandeliers should be falling,
你会感觉自己仿佛置身于一部电影
and it should just feel like you're in, in a movie.
然而 有很多时候 事情并不会按我们所期望的方向发展
But, there are plenty of times where things wouldn't work out as we hope,
比如约翰·马尔基和我就花了很久时间来研究一个被我们称为“战斗机会系统”的东西
like John Mulkey and I worked for a long time on what we called the combat opportunities system
它可以让非常戏剧性的时刻更加有料
being like juicy opportunities for, like, dramatic moments.
但是 要让人工智能在考虑这些与向你
But, it was really hard to get the AI to get the right balance of thinking about those versus
也就是玩家开火之间取得平衡真的很难
thinking about shooting at you, the player.
于是 我们会做一些测试 比如你走进一个房♥间
And so, we'd have these test runs where you'd come into a room,
人工智能紧随其后 接着它们就开始发疯
and the AI would come in, and they'd go crazy.
他们会向吊灯和水瓶开火 就好像同时向着十个不同的东西射击
They'd be shooting chandeliers and bottles and, like, shooting like ten different things,
而你就站在旁边看着它们在那儿“砰砰砰”
and you're just standing there, and then like, ‘Bang, bang, bang bang.’
“操 给我点火力压制”
Fuck, give me some pressure fire.
平衡就像走钢丝 你既想要有那些时刻
There's always, like, a tricky, tricky balance of getting the moments you want, but,
但是又要有身为设计师的触觉 来让玩家能按你设想的方式游玩
but having that designer’s touch of doing them the way you want them to play out.
有些游戏始于美术指导 或者巧妙的故事
Some games start with an art direction,or a story conceit.
对《无主之地》来说 它诞生于一个设计理念
In the case of Borderlands, it started with a design idea.
在《德军总部》出现前 我一直是个角色扮演游戏玩家
Before Wolfenstein came out, I was a role playing gamer.
有这么一款可能是让我沉迷了最多时间的一款游戏 那就是《迷宫骇客》
It's possible that, even to this day, that the game that has consumed more of my play hours than any other game is NetHack.
我意识到 让一款第一人称射击游戏有趣的地方
I realized that, what makes a first person shooter fun:
是时刻在场景里闪转腾挪 避免被击中的同时射击敌人
the moment to moment dodging and aiming and hitting the target
而这与《迷宫骇客》和《暗黑破坏神》的游戏乐趣是截然不同的
is a totally different thing that what makes NetHack fun or Diablo fun.
后者的乐趣在于变得更加强大 不断刷装备
What makes Diablo fun is becoming more powerful, collecting loot.
从那次顿悟中 我意识到我们可以把这些乐趣融合起来
And, in that epiphany, I realized we can put these things together.
《无主之地》初代是一款在没人认为能爆火的前提下脱颖而出的游戏
One game that stands out that maybe we weren't anticipating to be as big of a hit as it was is probably the original Borderlands.
当时 一些极其严肃的现代军事游戏仍然是主流
We were still playing a lot of hyper serious military contemporary games.
在今天 非写实的卡♥通♥美术风格完全是可以接受的 比如现在世界上最成功的游戏
Today, it's absolutely acceptable to have the biggest game in the world,
《堡垒之夜》就是如此
Fortnite, with this non realistic cartoon art style.
但在当时我们这么尝试的时候 这是件丢人的事情
When we did it, it was scandalous.
我们不知道该如何对待这个
This notion of, like, a comedic,
轻松搞笑的第一人称射击游戏的概念 外加开放世界
lighthearted FPS that was like open world, we just didn't really know what to make of it.
我们冥思苦想 想方设法地寻找一个可以把这些东西整合在一起的方法
We were swimming around fishing for it, trying to find how to put it all together, how to make the Bible.
我很确定 角色扮演游戏和射击游戏一定可以相互交融
But I knew, I knew that RPG and shooter could go together
我很喜欢小吵闹这个角色
I love the Claptrap character.
“你好啊 旅行者!”
Hello, traveler!
小吵闹最开始不是计划和设计里的一部分
Claptrap wasn't part of the plan, wasn't part of the design.
当时 有个概念艺术家正在做一些非常有趣的项目 然后布莱恩·马特尔路过看到他正在涂鸦
There was a concept artist that was doing some interesting work, and Brian Martel was walking by and saw this guy was just doodling.
布莱恩就说“这看这很酷” 这是一个非常对称的角色
Brian’s like, ‘That's cool.’It's a perfectly symmetrical character,
几乎是完美对称 但同时又很不平衡
almost perfectly symmetrical, but it feels completely out of balance.
你是如何在一个简单的形状里保持对称和失衡的?
How do you have symmetry and off balance in one simple shape?
“兄弟 你在干...干...干嘛呢?”
Buddy, what the hell are you do-do-do
他做了个机器人模型 然后念了些独白 然后他回去开门
He built a model of the robot, and he did some monologue, and then he would open the door,
门会像这样打开 他会朝着门跑过去 然后这出现了一个故障
and the door would start to open, and then he ran, and he would go towards the door,
它本该等门打开后再通过 但他跑太快了
and there was a bug where he was supposed to wait for the door to open and go through it, but he went too early,
于是他撞上门后又被弹开 停住了 然后门才打开
and he bounced into the door and stopped, and then the door went, went open, and so I,
所以我给他加了个“嗷” 就像是我们撞到了他
I had him add an ‘Ow,’ like, we bumped into it,
然后他叫了一句“嗷” 然后像是卡住了一会再走过去
and he said ‘Ow’and kind of stuck back and then went into it again.
看着小吵闹伤到自己是件趣事 因为他有点尖酸刻薄
It was so fun to watch Claptrap hurt himself, because he was kind of snarky.
就在那时 我突然明白了这个角色的魅力所在
And that's when it stumbled upon me the secret of the character.
当他高高在上时 他就是个混球 是整颗星球上最糟的人
And, when he's up here, he's an absolute jerk. And he just, he's the worst person on the planet.
但总会发生一些让他一落千丈的事情
But, something will happen which will tear him down.
“很好! 客人们应该马上就到”
Right! The guests should be arriving any minute.
就好比他过生日的时候没一个人来
Like when no one shows up to his birthday.
“欢迎和……额 没有人交流”
Feel free to mingle with nobody.
你就感觉“天哪 我好同情这家伙 我得帮帮他”
You’re just like, ‘Oh my God, I feel so bad for him and you want to help them out.’
在日本文化里 有种说法是每个人都戴着三副面具
In Japanese culture, they say that everyone has three masks:
一副是给所有人看的 一副只给最信任和最关心的人看的
the mask that they wear that everybody sees, and then there's the mask that they only let those people they trust and care most about see,
而第三副面具是谁也看不到的 它很好地表明了我们在展示真我时的害怕和不适
and then there's a third mask that no one ever sees, and it speaks to how we tend to feel afraid and uncomfortable to be our true selves.
“缇娜 你知道 这世界上还有别的食物的吧?”
Tina, you know, there are, like, other kinds of food, right?
“你不会真的只靠面饼过活了几年吧?”
You haven’t seriously been living on just crumpets for the last few years, have you?
很多人都很喜欢小缇娜这个角色
Tiny Tina is a character that a lot of people love.
她的特别之处在于: 她并不在乎别人对她的评价 也不在乎自己看起来有多疯
The thing that makes her special: she doesn't care about how people judge her, and she doesn't care how crazy she might seem.
而我认为我们每个人多少都会在乎一点 但缇娜不是
And I think all of us have some of that, but Tina doesn’t.
“要做的事情只剩一件了 给我弄死他!”
There’s only one thing to do. Kill the living crap out of him!
缇娜永远是她最真实的自己
Tina is always her true self.
“和朋友玩游戏真的很酷 因为我一个朋友都没有”
It's just really cool to play a game with a friend, because I haven't really had one.
不管什么时候我去 PAX 或者E3游戏展
Whenever I go to PAX or E3,
电影精选列表