剧集 | 流行病:如何预防流感大爆发(2020) | 导航列表
-非常感谢 -感谢你前来
I'm perfectly fine with it.
我觉得完全没问题
I need to meet with these folks, I need to see what's happening.
我需要见见这些人 我需要知道发生了什么
The threat of special pathogens is constantly on my mind.
我一直挂记着特殊病原体的威胁
Things like MERS, SARS, Ebola, flu.
中东呼吸综合征、非♥典♥、埃博拉 和流感这样的东西
While these outbreaks are happening remotely in distant areas,
哪怕疫情发生在偏远区域
we know that they're just one flight away from coming here in the United States
我们清楚这距离美国 也只有一个航♥班♥的距离
and that's exactly why I do what I do.
所以我才会从事这样的工作
What did you have for lunch today?
你今天午餐吃了什么?
It wasn't halal, but I got...
不是清♥真♥的 但我吃了…
-pasta pesto. -Good job.
-香蒜酱意面 -干得好
Special pathogens don't respect any boundaries.
特殊病原体不会遵守任何界限
So I wanna make sure that I'm doing it not just for my children,
所以我想要确保 我这么做 不止是为了我的孩子们
but for the greater good of humanity, 'cause we wanna make sure people are safe.
也是为了人类的更大利益 因为我想确保大家都安全
(美国加州旧金山)
Back in 2012, I was working at Pfizer doing antibody engineering.
2012年时 我还在辉瑞做抗体工程
I wasn't working on vaccines, but I was learning a lot
虽然没做疫苗方面的工作 但我学到了很多
about how the populations of antibodies respond to their targets.
抗体群如何响应其靶标方面的东西
That technology really opened our eyes
这种技术让我大开眼界
to what was really going on when someone gets vaccinated
让我了解到了接种疫苗时 或是使用抗体…
or when we're trying to engineer an antibody as a drug.
做为药物时的实际情况
I had a BA when I was at Pfizer, and I got promoted every year,
我在辉瑞时只有本科学历 我每年都获得升职
so I was a principal scientist with a Bachelor's Degree.
所以我是个 只有学士学位的首席科学家
And friends of mine were... They thought I was crazy.
我的朋友们都觉得我疯了
Some of them were like, "Why are you leaving a job
其中一些人说:“你为什么要离开
where normally you need a PhD, and a post doc,
一份通常会要求博士和博士后学位
and eight years of experience?"
还得有八年经验的工作?”
But I was worried if I waited another ten years,
但我担心如果再等十年
I might start having children and then I would be too scared to make a big jump.
我可能开始要孩子了 到时我可能会太害怕冒险
I definitely was like, "I could be messing up my career right now, but..."
我那时明显觉得:“我现在可能 是在胡搞自己的事业 但是…”
I came up with this idea and I thought it was too beautiful not to try.
我想出了这个绝好的主意 觉得一定要尝试一下
More often than not,
通常来说
startups are looking for the quickest path to funding.
初创公♥司♥都在寻求最快捷的融♥资♥途径
A lot of them have a "fake it till you make it" approach.
其中很多都走的是 “弄假直到成真”路线
Well, she was a college dropout
她曾是大学辍学生
who became the youngest self-made female billionaire.
现在成为了最年轻的 白手起家亿万富翁
In 2003, then 19-year-old Elizabeth Holmes founded Theranos
2003年 19岁的伊丽莎白霍姆斯 创建了Theranos公♥司♥
with the hope of using small amounts of blood
希望只使用少量血液就能完成
to do what normally took numerous tubes.
通常需要数管血液才能进行的测试
-Does it work? -Yes.
-有用吗? -是的
-You're confident in that? -I am confident in that.
-你有信心? -我有信心
In order to get funding, they often have to convince investors
为了融♥资♥ 他们通常得要说服投资者
about ideas that haven't been proven out yet,
相信还未被证明的想法
and sometimes,
有些时候
they do not have sound science to back up their plans.
他们的计划并没有合理的科学来支撑
The company faces new investigations
该公♥司♥面临着
from the Securities and Exchange Commission
证券交易委员会
and a US attorney's office in California.
和加州联邦检察官办公室的新调查
That's in addition to an ongoing probe by the centers for Medicare and Medicaid services.
而目前他们正在接受 医保与医助服务中心的调查
In bio tech, you need time to cultivate your credibility and your science.
在生物技术领域 除了这些计划 你还需要时间来培育…
on top of those plans.
你的信誉和科学技术
Now Elizabeth Holmes is facing some pretty serious prison time.
目前伊丽莎白霍姆斯面临着 严重的牢狱之灾
Holmes and the company's former president
霍姆斯和公♥司♥前总裁昨天被指控
were indicted yesterday on federal wire fraud charges.
犯下联邦电汇欺诈
So, eventually, some of these companies realize
最终 其中一些公♥司♥意识到
that the hype that they're built on
他们进行的大肆宣传
is not enough to support their quest for the almighty dollar.
并不能支撑他们对万能金钱的追求
There are a million reasons why an experiment can fail.
试验失败有上百万种的原因
Ultimately, all that matters is what the data says,
说到底 唯一重要的就是数据怎么说
and so far, our data is very promising.
目前为止 我们的数据很有希望
All righty.
好的
Our goal here is that we want to enable the world
我们的目标是让全世界
to have access to our vaccines.
都能获得我们的疫苗
All the world...
全世界
including people who can't afford it.
包括那些负担不起的人
That's obviously low on the list for investors.
这显然并不是投资者的优先事项
When you take venture capital,
你接受风险投资时
you either lose control of your company or you lose control of your vision.
要么失去对公♥司♥的控制 要么就失去对自己愿景的控制
Right now, we are funding this.
目前 资金是我们出的
Everything up until this point has been out of our own pockets.
到目前为止的一切 都是我们自掏腰包
We should not have been able to beat
我们应该没能力击败大型药企
major pharmaceutical companies who have way more money than us
他们的资金和人力
and have way more people than us.
都远比我们多
But my experience in big pharmas is they typically move very slow
但根据我在大型药企的经验 他们通常进展缓慢
and they're risk averse.
他们也厌恶风险
And so, there actually aren't that many people
所以实际在研究新技术的人
as you might think working on new techniques.
并没有你想的那么多
So that's worked to our advantage, but eventually,
所以这对我们有利 但最终
we are going to need to get this vaccine into human trials.
我们得要进行这种疫苗的人体试验
And we are not going to be able to fund that by ourselves.
这是光靠我们自己负担不起的
(第四章 你得要呼吸)
(印度拉贾斯坦邦斋浦尔)
Goochi, dear son...
古奇 亲爱的儿子
Wake up, it's seven o'clock.
醒醒 七点了
It's been 15 years since I received my MD.
我拿到医学博士学位已经15年了
It was my family's dream to have a doctor in the family.
培育出一位医生是我家族的梦想
We are seven sons in the family.
我们家有七个儿子
They thought the first one would become a doctor, he didn't.
他们以为老大会成为医生 但并没有
Second, third, fourth...
老二、老三、老四…
When it came to me, the fifth, they found some hope.
等轮到老五 也就是我时 他们发现了一线希望
Papa, your phone is ringing.
爸爸 你的电♥话♥响了
Hello. Just getting ready.
喂 正在准备
Okay, okay, bye.
好的 再见
Come on, son.
来吧 儿子
I don't know why they felt that I could become one.
我不知道他们为什么觉得 我能成为医生
I used to be poor in studies.
我以前学习很差
That is the truth.
这是事实
But they knew that what little I studied, I did it with all my heart.
但他们知道尽管我学得很少 但我是全心全意的
I'm not in this profession for money.
我做这份工作不是为了钱
I am extremely passionate about this cause.
我对这份事业充满激♥情♥
(作为拉贾斯坦邦装备最好的医院)
(纪念医院挤满了 来自邦内各小城镇的重度流感病人)
(妮莎德维因为患上严重流感 被送进重症监护)
Yes, Nisha, how are you?
是的 妮莎 你好吗?
Tell me this.
告诉我
When we admitted you to emergency three days back,
三天前 你从锡格尔过来
when you'd came here from Sikar...
我们接收你进入急诊科…
how different are you feeling since then?
和当时的情况相比 你的感觉有什么不同?
A little bit.
有一点
(妮莎的家人)
The problem was going on for 15 days.
这问题已经持续15天了
We admitted her into a hospital in our area.
我们把她送进了当地的医院
But it's not a big city, most of the people are from the villages.
但那不是大城市 大部分人都来自乡村
They are villagers,
都是村民
so not many people there know about this.
没多少人了解这个
Even the doctors don't know about H1N1. So they didn't test her for this.
连医生都不知道H1N1 所以也没做这方面的检查
No one realized that it would become such a serious disease.
没人意识到会变成这么严重的疾病
The patient is not responding up to the mark which I want.
病人的反应没达到我想要的标准
The problem is...
问题是
there are no facilities in the outlying areas.
偏远地区缺乏设施
When they become seriously ill, they head for the cities.
等病情严重了 他们才会来城市
It is too late by then.
但却为时已晚
Any patient who had immunity low
任何免疫力低下的病人
is a culprit for swine flu...
都是易患猪流感的
in dangerous form.
高危人群
Child...
儿童
pregnant woman, old age.
孕妇、老年人
A patient with diabetes.
糖尿病人
A patient with kidney disease.
肾脏病人
(德格拉曼南尼 H1N1阳性 慢性肾病 进入重症监护室四天)
What's troubling you?
你有什么问题?
I'm tired.
我好累
-What are you tired of? -I'm really tired.
-因为什么累? -我真的好累
Generally, we Indians think it's a small cough,
通常我们印度人认为 如果只是小咳嗽
all you should do is take honey, lemon, turmeric and it goes away.
剧集 | 流行病:如何预防流感大爆发(2020) | 导航列表