and the sea was really wild,
它像一个漩涡 前仆后继
it was like churning and carrying on,
天又黑又暗 还下起了雨
it was dark and gray, and it was raining.
波浪袭来 拍打着船舶滑道
And this little wave lapped up the boat ramp
然后又分崩四散
and then it dispersed.
留下小小的 小小的
And what it left was the tiniest,
亮绿色的海藻碎片
tiniest, tiniest bit of bright green seaweed.
我情不自禁地说 “哦 上帝 快看呀”
And I was like, "Oh, my God, look at that!"
我跑下船舶坡道捡起那些海藻碎片
And I ran down the boat ramp and I picked it up.
我四下里看了看 心想 "找到了一样食材
I started looking around. "Well, there's one thing that's edible.
就一定有更多的食材"
And there must be other things, you know?"
因此 我开始尽力找寻
So, I started looking and I started trying,
而且亲自品尝 没过一会儿
and I started tasting, and all of a sudden,
就在这一个区域 我就发现了六种食材
I'd discovered, like, six things in this one area.
我把他们全部用在了海之味这道菜里
And they all become ingredients on this dish Sea Tastes.
这是第一次 我自己创造出的菜式
It was the first moment of creating something myself
它不同于任何人的任何已有菜式
that wasn't like other things that other people were creating.
这也是我第一次
It was the first time I was
真正为自己烹饪出的东西感到自豪
really proud of something that I'd cooked...
它是全新的 没有参照任何既有的东西
that wasn't a knockoff.
海 之味
马蒂 你的卷心菜还要多久? 快好了
How far is the cabbage, Matty? It's ready to go.
已经快好了吗? 好的
It's ready to go? Yeah.
马蒂 显然 如果我们要在这边工作
Obviously, if we're working over here, Matty,
以后你就要把配菜拿过来
you need to bring the garnishes over here in future.
好的 主厨
Yes, Chef.
还是年轻厨师的时候
As a young cook,
我在厨房♥的后面
I was the one in the back of the kitchen
自己做完所有的准备工作
doing all of my mise en place,
接着去做另外一些不相干的事情
and then moving on to some unrelated project
让每个人都可以摆脱这些事
to try to blow everybody away with it.
而这些事情 常常是做了也没人认可
And often, that work goes unrecognized.
我心怀不满
I wasn't satisfied with that.
我野心勃勃
My ambition was really strong
那时我刚刚有了第一个孩子
and it was based around becoming a new father for the first time.
我有了这个小宝贝 我自己的父亲是我心目中的英雄
And I had this little baby, and my dad had been my great hero.
我希望我的儿子也能视他的爸爸为英雄
And I suppose I wanted my son to feel that way about his dad.
我非常热切地希望被认可
I was super ambitious for recognition,
我一门心思想要获奖
ambitious to win awards.
我对自己说
You say to yourself,
"我会不择手段 尽我所能
"I'm gonna do everything I can within my power
有所作为"
to make something of myself."
我像一只疯狗 野心爆棚
I was like a rabid dog that just wanted to achieve so much.
餐馆里来了一桌4个客人
This table of four came in,
他们询问服务生能否请主厨过去见他们一下
they asked the waiter if I could go and see them at the table.
我想 "哦 上帝 又来了
I thought, "Oh, my God, here I go again.
这次我要当面挨骂了"
This time I'm gonna cop it face-to-face from them."
他们对我说
And they said to me,
"不论你做什么 不要改变你自己
"No matter what you do, don't ever change.
保持内心的真实"
And stay true to yourself."
我想 "如果有一桌人喜欢
I thought, "If there's one
就会有其他人也喜欢"
table that likes it, there will be others."
我们获奖了
We'd won awards.
这使我们的餐厅顾客盈门 忙了好一阵子
It made the restaurant busy for a little while.
紧接着 冬天来了 餐厅又变得冷清了
And then winter would come, and the restaurant was dead again.
如果你是一个非常好强急于求胜的人
If you're a very driven person and you want to achieve a lot,
有时 你会伤害到很多人
there's a point where you can hurt a lot of people.
经营餐厅成了你的生活
Running a restaurant becomes your life.
这不是正常的八小时的工作
It's not a normal eight-hour shift,
是一天24小时的工作
it's a 24-hour-a-day job.
孩子们需要照顾需要父母的陪伴
Children need support and they need to be around their parents.
可我 那些年一直不在他们身边
And I wasn't there in those early years, you know?
—提起这些我就很伤心
And it's-- And it cuts me to say that.
我父亲曾经是很有前途的领航员
My father had been a promising pilot.
为了给孩子们
He gave away many of the things
提供一个好的生活环境
that he probably wanted to really do professionally
他放弃了很多
to create a wonderful environment for his children.
不夸张地说 他的工作很残酷
The way he worked was brutal, to say the least.
在山坡上 几个小时几个小时地砍伐灌木
On the side of hills, cutting scrub, just for hours and hours.
他砍了几百英亩的灌木
He would cut hundreds of acres of scrub.
直到今天 我再也没见过谁工作如此卖♥♥力
I've never seen anybody work that hard to this day.
而且 从始至终
And the whole time,
爸爸都是面带微笑地做着那样的工作
Dad would work like that with a smile on his face.
我妈妈也是 难以置信地勤劳
My mother, too. She was working incredibly hard,
他们两个是强有力的团队
so they both were a really strong team.
他们为了家庭竭尽全力
They just did the best they could by their family.
他们做出了正确的决定
They made the right decisions.
我以前并没对童年生活心存感激
I didn't appreciate my childhood
直到我有了自己的孩子
until I started raising my own children,
才知道养儿育女的辛苦
and I realized how hard that is,
才知道我的父母做得有多么好
and how well my parents had done.
- 来点儿橙汁吧 孩子? -好的 谢谢
- Have some orange juice, kids? -Okay, thank you.
这东西是健康的吗?
Is that healthy one?
每种食物 都会对健康有些帮助 知道了吗?
Everything's healthy, a little bit. A little bit, okay?
谢谢
Thank you.
大概在第四年的时候
At around the fourth year,
我还是要花大量时间在工作上
I was still working too many hours,
我不能看着孩子们长大
and I wasn't seeing my children.
艾拉! 这个味道很特别哦
Ella! It tastes different.
这个时候 所有这一切一股脑向我袭来
It came to a point where it all compounded on me.
爸爸在做什么?
What's Poppy gonna have?
爸爸在做... 小圆饼
Poppy's gonna have... A pikelet.
他会在上面加什么东西吗? -不 什么也不加
-Is he gonna have anything on it? -No, nothing.
我在家就是个麻木迟钝无精打采的人
When I was at home, I mean, I was a full-on zombie.
我和孩子们坐在一起
I would be sitting with my kids,
他们给我讲各种事情 可我完全听不进去
they would be talking to me, and I wouldn't be hearing them.
我和妻子也有隔阂
I disconnected from my wife.
我厌恶起了自己的工作 以前从没这样的感觉
And I was resenting my work, which I'd never really felt before.
我意识到
You realize that there are
生活哪里不对劲儿
some things that are not right in your life.
你开始反省过去
And you start reflecting on them,
开始疑惑 "这一切值得吗?
and start wondering, "Is it worth it?
真的值得吗? 我到底在做什么?"
Is it really worth it, what I'm doing?" You know?
正是在这个时候 我们开始制♥作♥这道贻贝
Around that time, we began working on this mussel dish,
我和一个朋友计划
and a friend of mine and I had arranged
去贻贝产地波塔林顿看看
to go to Portarlington where the mussel farm is.
我们在那里认识了兰斯 他给我讲了自己的故事
We met Lance, and Lance told me his story.
他告诉我们在他在像我们这样年轻的时候
He told us how when he was a young man like me,
这个产业是怎样濒临消亡
this entire industry had faced extinction.
他要很努力地工作
He'd worked so much
因此错过了孩子们的童年
that he'd missed a lot of his children's childhood...
这引起了我的共鸣
and it really struck a chord with me.
让我认识到我错过的是生命中最精彩的部分
It made me realize I was wasting a significant part of my life
我必须改变
and I had to change.
四年前 我的儿子科比 和他幼儿园起认识的朋友们
Four years ago, my son, Kobe, formed a basketball team
组建了一只篮球队 球队的名字叫赤龙队
with his friends from kindergarten, called the Red Dragons.
在第一个赛季 我好像一场比赛也没有去看过
First season, I don't know if I saw a game at all.
压上去!
Take him on!
因为工作脱不开身
Couldn't get away from work.
有一个晚上我放下工作去看了比赛 我发现
I took a night off to go and watch a game and I was like,
"哇哦 科比 在这方面太有天分了"
"Wow, Kobe's got natural ability at this."
其他家长也在 但球队没有教练
Other parents went as well, but they didn't have a coach,
只是有个人管管替换队员上下场的事情
so somebody was just subbing them on and off.
最后 我做了他们的教练
And then, I ended up as the coach.
小伙子们 传得好
Good passing, boys.
这成为我生命中的一件大事
It'd just become this huge thing in my life.
三分 六分
Three. Six.
预备 投
Set, go.
从那以后 体验餐厅之外
After that, it became so important
烹饪之外的乐趣成了一件
to be able to feel joy outside of the restaurant,
非常重要的事情
outside of cooking.
剧集 | 主厨的餐桌(2015) | 导航列表