剧集 | 霍华德庄园(2017) | 导航列表
Taking your advice, I have resigned from my position.
现在我在邓普斯特银行任职
I have now taken a role as a clerk at Dempster's bank.
虽然我的薪水比原来降低了许多
Whilst my salary is much lower than before,
生活也更加拮据
and I find myself in more reduced circumstances,
但我很感恩现在有一份安稳的工作
I can be thankful that my position is now secure.
您感恩的莱纳德·巴斯特"
Yours gratefully, Leonard Bast."
太可怕了
But how dreadful!
你们好
Hello!
人都到齐了
Here we all are!
早上好 海伦
Morning, Helen.
早上好 威尔考克斯先生
Morning, Mr Wilcox.
亨利 她收到了那个古怪易怒的男孩寄来的信
Henry, she's had a letter from that queer, cross boy.
你还记得吗 很英俊 但眼神很忧伤那个
Do you remember? Very handsome but sad eyes.
他的背影很年轻
The back of his head was young.
你叫他离开波尔费里翁
You told him to clear out of the Porphyrion.
我叫他 叫谁 你们在说谁
I told him? Told who? Of whom are you talking?
我也收到了一封信 不是好消息
I had a letter too - not a nice one.
我想和你谈谈
I want to talk it over with you.
-巴斯特先生 -我们的朋友
- Mr Bast. - Our friend.
你警告了他波尔费里翁的情况
You warned him about the Porphyrion.
-你不记得了吗 -我不记得
- Don't you remember? - I do not.
他辞职了 多亏你的提醒
Yes. He cleared out, thanks to your hint.
波尔费里翁没有经营不善
It's not a bad business, the Porphyrion.
你说他辞职了 基于什么理由
You say he's cleared out? On what grounds?
-没有经营不善 -基于你给我们的建议
- Not a bad business? - On the grounds of your advice to us.
波尔费里翁吗 我应该不会那么说啊
The Porphyrion? No, I shouldn't have said so.
我收到的信是关于霍华德庄园
No, my letter's about Howards End.
我的租客布莱斯先生被要求出国
My tenant, Mr Bryce, he's been ordered abroad.
怎么不记得 在切尔西堤
But, surely on Chelsea Embankment...
他想转租
He wants to sublet it.
-早上好 蒙特太太 -但你说过
- Morning, Mrs Munt. - But you did say...
早上好啊 早安
Good morning, good morning!
景色很怡人
Fine view.
早安 施莱格尔
Morning, Schlegel.
-早安 -不是吗
- Good morning. - Isn't it?
他无权这样做 合同里没有这项条款
He has no right to do it. There's no clause in the contract.
-谁啊 亨利 -我在霍华德庄园的租客
- Who, Henry? - My tenant at Howards End.
我在考虑取消协议
I'm thinking of cancelling the agreement.
-你觉得那样比转租好吗 -抱歉
- Do you think that's better than subletting? - Excuse me, I'm sorry.
关于波尔费里翁 我觉得不放心
About the Porphyrion - I don't feel easy.
-我能和你谈谈吗 亨利 -当然 你说
- Might I bother you, Henry? - Yes, yes?
你说那里经营不善
You said it was a bad concern,
所以我们建议这位职员离开
so we advised this clerk to clear out.
他今早写信告诉我们 他听取了我们的建议
He writes this morning that he's taken our advice,
现在你却说那里没有经营不善
and now you say it's not a bad concern.
他到银行工作了
He's gone into a bank.
薪水比原来低许多 但他希望能糊口
It's a much lower salary, but he hopes to manage -
是邓普斯特银行的支行 那里好吗
a branch of Dempster's Bank. Is that all right?
-当然好 -比波尔费里翁更好吗
- Oh, my goodness me, yes. - More right than the Porphyrion?
是的 是的 跟房♥子一样牢固 更牢固
Yes, yes, yes. Safe as houses - safer.
非常感谢 你刚才说如果转租霍华德庄园
Oh, many thanks. I'm sorry... If you sublet Howards End...?
你有更多控制权
Well, you have more control.
我们应该找一天去那里看看
We ought to go and see the place some time.
它有独特的魅力
It's pretty in its way.
不如我们下周三开车去那儿
Why don't we motor down next Wednesday
和查尔斯一起吃午餐
and have lunch with Charles?
他和多莉就住在离霍华德庄园15分钟车程的地方
He and Dolly are only 15 minutes' drive from Howards End now.
先到市里来 我带你参观办公室
Come up to town, I'll show you the office
然后一起开车过去 会很好玩
and we can drive down together. It'll be fun.
我也很想去
Oh, I should love to.
但朱莉姨妈希望我们再多待至少一周
But Aunt Juley expects us to stop at least another week.
你可以现在就走
Well, you can give that up now.
不 真的 她每年就盼着我们来访
No, honestly. She counts on this visit year after year.
她为了我们 把房♥子大改造了一番
She turns the house upside down for us.
没事 我去跟她说
That's all right. I'll speak to her.
亨利 我不会去的 别逼我
Henry, I won't go. Don't bully me.
-难道你不想看看那所房♥子吗 -我很想 可是
- You do want to see the house, though? - Very much, but...
那就行了
That'll be all right, then.
威尔考克斯先生 波尔费里翁的事
Oh, Mr Wilcox, about the Porphyrion...
没事了 邓普斯特银行更好
It's all right! Dempster's Bank is better.
但你好像告诉过我们
But I think you told us
波尔费里翁在复活节前就会垮
the Porphyrion would smash before Easter.
是吗
Did I?
它当时仍在关税圈之外
Well, it was still outside the Tariff Ring.
最近进入了 现在和房♥子一样牢固了
Lately it's come in - safe as houses now.
换句话说 巴斯特先生根本不需要辞职
In other words, Mr Bast need never have left it
到另一个地方拿着大大降低的薪水重新开始
and started life elsewhere at a greatly reduced salary.
他不需要
No, the fellow needn't.
他只说了"降低"
He only says "reduced."
这么穷的人 哪怕少了分毫对他也有很大影响
With a man so poor, every reduction must be great.
我认为这是无妄之灾
I consider it a deplorable misfortune.
-你是说这事怪我了 -你太不讲理了 海伦
- Do you mean I'm responsible? - You're ridiculous, Helen.
-重点是 -重点是
- The point is... - The point is,
一个穷困的人拜我们所赐 现在更穷困了
a man who had little money has less, owing to us.
这个人是谁
Who is this fellow?
我们告诉过你两次了
We have told you about the fellow twice.
你还见过他
You have even met the fellow.
-他很穷 他妻子是个笨蛋 -海伦别说了
- He is very poor and his wife...is a fool, - Helen, please!
他有能力得到更好的 不 玛格
and he is capable of better things. No, Meg!
我们本以为自己有高明的见识
We thought we would help him from
能帮助他 结果却如此不堪
the height of our superior knowledge - and here's the result!
给你个建议
A word of advice...
我不再需要你的建议
I require no more advice.
给你个建议
A word of advice.
别对穷♥人♥摆出那副同情的态度
Don't take up that sentimental attitude over the poor.
别让她这样做 玛格丽特
See that she doesn't, Margaret.
你说这是同情 我认为这是基本的人性
You call it sentiment. I call it common humanity.
是吗
Indeed?
你说起这个年轻人的口气
Well, you talk about this young man
-仿佛他是马戏团里的展品 -我才没有
- as if he were an exhibition in the circus. - I don't!
仿佛伦敦没有另外三百万人
As if there were not three millions
跟他一样
more like him in London alone,
还有他们的妻子与孩子
besides their wives and children.
我们难道不应该尽力
And must we not do our best to...
如果有能力和机会 我们不该帮他们吗
Are we not to help them if we can, when the chance comes?
-当我们发生交集时 -我们当然应该
- When our paths cross? - Of course we must!
但你没帮上他
But you haven't helped him.
-我是没帮上 跟你说不通 -别吵了
- No. I haven't. Oh, it's impossible. - Oh, don't let's row...
亲爱的海伦 无论是你
My dear Helen, neither you,
我 我的线人 或波尔费里翁的主管
nor I nor my informant, nor the directors
都与这个职员薪水减少无关
of the Porphyrion are to blame for this clerk's loss in salary.
不是任何人的错
No-one is to blame.
是我的错
I am.
你太苛责自己了 你顶多是干预了
You're too severe. You're guilty of nothing more than meddling
一个你几乎不认识的年轻人的人生
in the life of a young man about whom you know practically nothing.
但我们确实认识他 亨利
But we do know him, Henry.
这位年轻人错在
This young man of yours is guilty of...
-他没错 -他仅仅错在判断失误
- No! - He is guilty of an error in judgment, merely.
辞职换了一份更差劲的工作
Of quitting his situation for a worse one
自己没能作出正确的决定
without determining the wisdom of his actions for himself.
我说的有错吗 海伦
Do I misstate the case, Helen?
玛格丽特
Margaret?
没错
No.
我不知道
I don't know.
亲爱的 我们今天去九冈高地如何
My dears. What about going to Nine Barrows Down for the day?
蒙特夫人 我想跟您说件急事
Mrs Munt, I did want to talk to you about some pressing business
我和玛格丽下周得去希尔顿处理
that calls Margaret and me to Hilton next week.
那怎么行
Oh, surely not!
他们至少还要在这儿待上十天
But they were going to stop for the next ten days at the least.
我知道
Yes, I know.
问题是 我做了
剧集 | 霍华德庄园(2017) | 导航列表