剧集 | 发光体 | 导航列表
and assume his name.
威尔士先生已婚 他的妻子 莉迪亚·威尔士
You see, Mr Wells was married, and his wife, Lydia Wells,
与富有的政♥治♥家
had been conducting an affair
阿利斯泰尔·劳德贝克有一腿
with the wealthy politician Alistair Lauderback.
卡佛先生想用婚外情
Mr Carver wanted to use the affair
敲诈劳德贝克先生 让他给一艘船做封口费
to blackmail Mr Lauderback into giving up a ship he owned.
鸿运和这个有什么联♥系♥
How did the bonanza fit in?
金子会被封在箱子里
The gold would be concealed in a trunk
用劳德贝克先生的名义把箱子运上岸
that was bound offshore under Mr Lauderback's name.
如果有人打开了箱子 就会认为是劳德贝克先生
If anyone opened it, they'd assume that Mr Lauderback
自己偷了金子
had stolen the colour himself
把金子走私出国
and was smuggling it out of the country.
这毕竟是他情妇丈夫的金子
It belonged to the husband of his mistress, after all.
根据计划 卡佛先生 假称自己是威尔士先生
The plan was that Mr Carver, posing as Mr Wells,
会用婚外情和箱子作为筹码
would use the affair and the trunk as his leverage
敲诈得到一帆风顺号♥
in the blackmail for the Godspeed.
是个天衣无缝的计划
It was a proper stitch-up.
卡佛和我说好了 我去霍基蒂卡
Carver and I cut a deal. We agreed I'd go to Hokitika.
我会以我们俩的名义 买♥♥下一个尾矿堆
I would, in both our names, peg a claim on a tailing pile.
与此同时 卡佛去敲诈
Meanwhile, Carver would carry out the blackmail,
乘一帆风顺号♥前往霍基蒂卡
then sail the Godspeed to Hokitika,
从箱子里取出金子 再掺进我们的金矿里
take the gold from the trunk and salt it into our claim.
我们称它为合法收益
We'd call it legal profit,
坐地分赃 然后各走各的路
split the winnings between us and go our separate ways.
然后呢
What happened next?
收钱办事 我就去了霍基蒂卡
Well, I went off to Hokitika to do as I was bid.
几天后 一帆风顺号♥到了
And some days later, the Godspeed arrived,
载着箱子 但卡佛先生不在
with the trunk on board but without Mr Carver.
这和我们约好的不一样
It wasn't what we'd planned.
我想 我们的骗局肯定在哪里出了差错
I figured the swindle must have gone awry somehow.
不管怎样 我从箱子里取出了金子
Nevertheless, I took the gold from the trunk,
照我们约好的那样 把它掺进金矿里
salted it into the claim as we'd agreed,
等着卡佛先生现身
and waited for Mr Carver to show up.
可是 我与维瑟洛小姐重逢了
But instead, I was reunited with Miss Wetherell.
她一直过着苦日子 那时还怀了孕
She had since fallen on hard times. She was with child.
她向我求助
And she asked me for help.
她告诉了我她在达尼丁发现的阴谋
She told me about a plot she'd uncovered back in Dunedin
杀人劫财 冒用死人的名字
to kill a man, steal his fortune and take his name.
她全都弄清楚了
She'd figured it all out.
多亏了她 威尔士先生得以逃跑并藏身
Because of her, Mr Wells had escaped and gone to ground,
现在 卡佛先生在找他
and now Mr Carver was looking for him,
为未尽之事做个了结
to finish what he'd started
并为对方在他脸上留的刀伤报仇
and get revenge for a cut he'd sustained to his face.
维瑟洛小姐担心
Miss Wetherell was afraid
一旦他回到霍基蒂卡
that once he arrived back in Hokitika,
就会把她也杀了
he'd try to kill her too.
所以她向我寻求保护
So she asked me for my protection.
可是
Well,
我逐渐感到非常羞愧
I was starting to feel more than a little ashamed of myself.
她完全不知道我在和卡佛先生合作
She had no idea that I was in business with Mr Carver.
但我过于怯懦
But I was too much of a coward
不敢告诉她其实我也有参与
to tell her the truth about the part I'd played.
所以我同意帮助她
So I agreed to help.
当卡佛先生到了霍基蒂卡
When Mr Carver arrived in Hokitika,
我介入了他们之间 发生了激烈的争斗
I put myself between them. There was a terrible fight.
他勃然大怒 结果导致了
He flew into a rage, and as a consequence,
维瑟洛小姐流产了
the child Miss Wetherell was carrying was lost,
在座有许多目击者可以证明
as witnessed by many men here who could testify.
在这之后 我无法原谅他
And after that, I couldn't forgive him.
我发誓不找到克罗斯比·威尔士
I vowed I wouldn't rest until I'd found Crosbie Wells,
归还他的财富并匡正一切 我绝不罢休
restored his fortune and put everything to rights.
那时我发现一个中国佬 魁先生
It was then I learned a Chinaman, Mr Quee,
一直在偷挖我的尾矿堆
had been digging my tailing piles...
还找到了我埋藏的金子
and found the gold I'd buried there.
他把金子炼成了小方块
He'd smelted it into little squares
并在每块上都刻了"极光"字样
and engraved each square with the word 'Aurora',
以示金块的产地
to signify which claim it issued from.
我不想把金子存入银行 尽管我应该如此
I didn't want to bank the gold, as I was legally obliged.
倘若我存了 卡佛就会拿到他那一半
If I did, you see, Carver would get his half shares,
我下定决心一个子儿也不给他
and I was determined now he'd never see a penny.
我拿上金子往北走
I took it up north,
想把它埋在毛利岛 妥善保管
intending to bury it on Maori land, for safekeeping.
在那时 我遇到了克罗斯比·威尔士
And that's when I encountered Croshie Wells.
我向他坦白了所有事
I confessed. I told him everything.
起初 他不相信这金子是他的
At first, he didn't believe the gold was really his.
但我给他看了维瑟洛小姐的手包
But I showed him Miss Wetherell's purse,
他就相信我了
and he was persuaded.
威尔士最后拿回了自己的财富
Wells had his fortune back at last.
但卡佛先生偷取了他的护照和采矿权
But Mr Carver had stolen his passport and his miner's right.
他无法证明自己的身份 更别说金子的合法性了
He had no way of proving his own provenance, let alone the gold's.
但他还是收下了
But he took it anyway...
并感谢我转变了心意
and thanked me for my change of heart.
我们作为友人而分别
And we parted as friends.
之后我就回了霍基蒂卡
I then went back to Hokitika,
终于决定告诉维瑟洛小姐真♥相♥
determined to tell Miss Wetherell the truth at last,
但她不愿见我
but she wouldn't grant me an audience.
自从知道我与卡佛先生
She'd since learned that I owned the Aurora
合股开了极光公♥司♥ 她对我很生气
on a joint share with Mr Carver, and she was very angry with me.
她拒绝我的拜访
She refused to let me visit her,
所以我觉得需要去见见她老板
so I felt obliged to go to her employer
买♥♥下她一夜
and purchase her company for the night.
那是今年1月14日的晚上吗?
This was on the night of the 14th of January this year?
是的
Yes.
我们在歌♥剧院见的面
We met at the opera house.
我把所有事都告诉了她
And I told her the whole story.
-她做了什么 -她很难过
- What did she do? - She was very upset.
她希望立刻去找威尔士先生 就离开了
She wished to go to Mr Wells at once. She left.
那是我最后一次见到她
That's the last I saw of her.
你去做了什么
What did you do?
我去了中国城
I went to Chinatown.
我十分羞于承认
You see, I'm rather ashamed to admit
我嗜好各种鸦♥片♥
I have a weakness for opium in all its forms.
有天我醒来 苏先生走了
I woke up one day. Mr Sook was gone.
所以我离开了 打算回霍基蒂卡
So l upped and left, intending to return to Hokitika.
可是我病得很重
I was extremely ill.
过了好几天才有人发现我
It was days... before I was found,
就在那时我才发现克罗斯比·威尔士死了
and only then that I discovered that Crosbie Wells was dead.
我只能假设
I can only assume what really-
法官阁下 这只是推测
Mr Justice, this is conjecture.
确实是
It is.
但我想听一听
But I'd like to hear it.
我只能假设卡佛先生偷听了我们
I can only assume that Mr Carver overheard us
那晚在歌♥剧院的对话
at the opera house that night,
知道了威尔士先生在哪
learned where Mr Wells was living
然后立马毒死了他
and went at once to poison him.
所以当维瑟洛小姐出现时 威尔士已经死了
So when Miss Wetherell turned up, he was already dead.
-这纯属臆断 法官阁下 -谢谢 斯坦恩斯先生
- This is pure speculation, sir! - Thank you, Mr Staines.
我没有其他问题了
I have no further questions.
据你自己的证言 在克罗斯比·威尔士被杀当晚
By your own admission, you were nowhere near
你不在阿♥拉♥胡拉河谷附近
the Arahura Valley on the night that Croshie Wells was killed.
你不知道谁在场或是发生了什么
You have no idea who was present or what transpired.
恕我直言 先生 你也一样
With respect, sir, nor do you.
我们都一样 除了卡佛先生
Nor do any of us, except Mr Carver.
只有他去过那里
He's the only one who was there.
够了
All right, that's enough.
卡佛冒充威尔士去买♥♥那艘船
Carver posed as Wells to buy the ship.
所以威尔士必须死 否则这个骗局就行不通
Wells had to die, or the swindle wouldn't work.
这从一开始就是计划的一部分
It was part of the plan from the beginning.
如果你不在场 那你就不能肯定地说
If you were not there, then you cannot say to a certainty
安娜·维瑟洛没有谋杀克罗斯比·威尔士
that Anna Wetherell did not murder Croshie Wells.
她没有理由这么做
剧集 | 发光体 | 导航列表