剧集 | 南方与北方(2004) | 导航列表
Well, I'll never be having children of any sort,
所以这不会是个问题了
so that won't be a problem.
贝茜 真那么糟吗
Bessy, is it really so bad?
肺里有绒毛 不管我怎么咳 都咳不出去
Fluff on me lungs. Won't go away, however much I cough.
至少我不会老到太吓人
At least I won't grow too old and ugly!
这是好事
There is that.
这是在马尔堡工厂做工时弄的吗
And this happened at Marlborough Mills?
不是
No.
不是
No.
肯定是我小时候弄的
Must've happened when I were little.
我们当时不知道还有这问题
We didn't know of these things then.
我们都得做工
We all had to work.
父亲发现后 他立刻让我去了桑顿的工厂
When Father found out, he moved me straightaway to Thornton's.
-他很爱你 是吧 -是啊
- He loves you very much, doesn't he? - Yes.
父亲和女儿啊
Fathers and daughters.
母亲和儿子啊
Mothers and sons.
或许我们不该对那老悍妇桑顿太苛责
So maybe we shouldn't be too hard on old battleaxe Thornton!
或许你母亲如果有个儿子也会像她一样
Maybe your mother would be just the same if she had a son.
她有
She does...
有个儿子
have a son.
我有个哥哥
I have a brother.
那你之前怎么没提过
Well, then, why didn't you ever say so before?
因为我们不谈他
Because we don't talk about him.
说吧 我想听个好故事
Come on, I could do with a good story.
弗莱德离家时我哭了
I cried when Fred left home.
母亲也是
So did Mother.
但他一心想去海上
But he was desperate to go to sea
父亲觉得这能历练他
and Father thought it would be the making of him.
他离开时满怀希望
He left full of hope...
但那是在他跟船长一起出海之前
but that was before he sailed with the Captain.
那人是个禽兽
He was a monster.
他们一出航 船长就为所欲为
Once they set sail, the Captain did whatever he liked.
他把孩子打得奄奄一息
He beat the children to within an inch of their lives.
他们不能做点什么吗
Well, couldn't they do anything?
他们试了
They tried.
弗莱德里克和其他人抵抗了他
Frederick and the others stood up to him.
还有几个人想杀了他
Some of them wanted to kill him.
最终 他们把船长
Eventually they put the Captain
和几个他的军官送上一艘小船
and a few of his officers in a boat
放他们在公海上漂流
and let it loose on the open sea.
海军部说他们是叛变
The Navy called it a mutiny.
但弗莱德里克其实别无选择
But Frederick really had no choice.
他被判为领头的 被称作了叛徒
He was branded the ringleader and called a traitor.
最终 海军部发布了叛变者名单
Eventually the Navy printed a list of the mutineers
弗莱德的名字也在其中
and Fred's name was among them.
我父母伤心欲绝
It nearly killed my parents.
他在南美待了几年
He was in South America for a few years.
现在住在西班牙 加的斯
Now he lives in Spain, in Cadiz.
西班牙
Spain!
好浪漫
How romantic!
有时候我觉得我再也见不到他了
Sometimes I think I'll never see him again.
但如果能说明他当时的遭遇
But if it could be told how he were put upon,
他为维护他人而抵抗了那个疯子
how he defended others against that madman,
法律总会宽恕他吧
surely the law would spare him.
有几个水手被抓住了
Some of the sailors were caught.
他们陈述了立场 里德船长显然是疯了
They pleaded their case. Captain Reid was clearly insane.
但他们还是被绞死了
But they were hanged anyway.
不 弗莱德里克在西班牙是安全的
No, Frederick's safe in Spain.
但如果他回家 一定会被判死刑
But if he comes home he'll be condemned to death, I'm sure.
至少你可以安慰自己
I suppose you can take comfort
他是那么勇敢
that he was so brave
采取行动拯救了那些比他弱小的水手
and acted to spare those sailors weaker than himself.
是啊
Yes, I do.
但我承认 有时我真希望他更懦弱些
But I confess that sometimes I wish he'd been more of a coward
如果这能让我母亲再次见到他
if it meant my mother might see him once more.
准备好了吗
Preparations already?
如果我们要招待客人 就该好好做
If we're going to entertain, we must do it properly.
你不是后悔发出邀请了吧
You're not regretting the invitations, are you?
不不
No, no.
该花的就花
Spend what you will.
但我们一段时间内都不能再办晚宴了
Though it may have to be the last dinner party we have for some time.
名单上都有谁
So, who's on the list?
斯里克森 不用说 福斯特
Slicksons of course. Fosters.
布朗家会拒绝 但我们还是该请一下
Browns will decline, but we must invite them all the same.
黑尔家会来吧
Hales will come, I presume?
他们大概明白对于黑尔先生
They are probably aware of the great advantage
能结识一些人会大有好处
it would be to Mr Hale to be introduced to people,
比如福斯特一家
like the Fosters.
我想那样的动机对他们毫无意义 范妮
I'm sure that motive would not influence them, Fanny.
你好了解黑尔一家啊 约翰
How you seem to understand these Hales, John!
你真觉得他们跟其他人
You really think they are so very different
那么不一样吗
from any other people we meet?
他似乎是个不错的人
He seems a worthy kind of man.
但没有什么生意头脑
Well, rather too simple for trade.
她是个贵妇 还精神不振
She's a bit of a fine lady, with all her low spirits!
至于那女儿 她端着架子
As for the daughter, she gives herself airs.
但他们并不富有 从来都不
And yet they're not rich and they never have been.
而且她不算有教养 母亲 都不会弹钢琴
And she's not accomplished, Mother. She can't play the piano.
说啊 范妮
Go on, Fanny.
她还有什么够不上你标准的
What else does she lack to bring her up to your standard?
我亲耳听到黑尔小姐说她弹不好的 约翰
I heard Miss Hale say she could not play myself, John.
如果你不跟我们拌嘴
If you would let us alone
我们或许还能像你一样看出她的好 喜欢她
we might perhaps see her merits and like her.
我是不会的
I'm sure I never could.
我希望您能尽量去喜欢黑尔小姐 母亲
I wish you would try to like Miss Hale, Mother.
为什么
Why?
你不是喜欢上她了吧
You've not formed an attachment to her, have you?
告诉你
Mind you,
她绝不会要你的
she'll never have you.
她有次还当着我的面嘲笑这个想法
Why, she once laughed in my face at the thought of it!
肯定是那意思
I'm sure she did.
她是不会要我
She would never have me.
她太高看自己 不会要你
She has too good an opinion of herself to take you.
我真想知道 她能找到更好的吗
I should like to know, will she find anyone better?
那你们都可以相信我
You can both believe me, then,
我说这话完全不是因为黑尔小姐
when I say this out of complete indifference to Miss Hale.
黑尔先生是我的朋友 而她是他的独女
Mr Hale is my friend. She is his only daughter.
我希望你们都努力跟她成为朋友
I wish you'd both make an effort to befriend her.
真希望我知道你为什么老提她
I only wish I knew why you talked about her so much.
我听烦了
I'm tired of it.
那你希望我们谈什么
What would you like us to talk about?
罢♥工♥的话题更合你意吗
How about a strike for a more pleasant topic?
听着
Now, now listen!
汉普工厂的人已被告知 不会涨工资
The men up at Hamper's have been told not to expect a rise!
-斯里克森工厂 -桑顿周五回复
- What about Slickson's? - Thornton will tell us on Friday!
-你们觉得怎么办 -罢♥工♥
- So, what do you reckon? - Strike!
我觉得也是
I thought so.
时候到了
Now is the time.
我们周五下工前十分钟
We will all stop our machines at the end of the day Friday,
一起停机
10 minutes before time!
不许任何人再重开机器
And no one, no one will start them up!
-维克 -如果斯里克森开条件
- Wilkie. - What if Slickson decides to offer,
不惜一切要维持他的工厂继续开工呢
do anything to keep his mill working at advantage of others?
那你们还是罢♥工♥
Then you still come out.
记住 如果我们都拒绝工作
Remember, if we all refuse to work
我们就有话语权
we are the strong ones!
如果我们齐心协力 你觉得主子们
How long, how long d'you think the masters will last out
能撑多久
if we're all together?
一周 至多两周
A week, two weeks at most.
如果他们从爱尔兰找工人来呢
What if they send in for hands from Ireland?
-他们不敢 -桑顿就会这么干
剧集 | 南方与北方(2004) | 导航列表