剧集 | 南方与北方(2004) | 导航列表
- They wouldn't dare! - Thornton would.
-他宁死也不会听命于人 -我对付他
- He'd die before being dictated to. - I'll take him down,
要是他敢用别人
if he use the upper hands!
我还会对付任何来抢我们工作的爱尔兰人
And any Irishman who takes our wages!
不行
No.
听着 不行
Listen! No!
不能动用暴♥力♥
No violence!
主子就指望我们像一群禽兽一样
Masters expect us to behave like animals.
我们要让他们知道 我们是有脑子的人
We will show them we are thinking men.
我们不会被算计
We will not be out-thought.
罢♥工♥的唯一敌人就是我们自己
The only enemy of a strike is ourselves!
我们必须好好管理这次罢♥工♥
Now, we must manage this strike well!
不能像五年前
Not like five years ago,
半数人都提前复工
when half of us went back to work before the others.
-明白了吗 -嗯
- Is that understood? - Aye.
时候到了
This is it.
我们要团结
We keep together.
就在周五晚上了
Friday evening it is!
周五
Friday!
工人们要罢♥工♥了吗
Are the hands about to turn out?
他们在等着
They're waiting for moment
我不得不拒绝他们的加薪请求
I have to turn down their wage demands.
手头的订单多吗
Are there many orders in hand?
当然 这我们清楚
Of course. We know that well enough.
美国人把大量货投入市场
The Americans are flooding the market.
我们只能减缩成本 缩短工期
Our only chance is producing at a lower price and faster.
但我们越快完成订单
But the faster we fill the orders,
收账就越慢
the longer it takes to be paid for.
我们欠多少了
How much are we owed?
欠银行将近四百英镑
The debt to the bank is nearly £400.
工人们越来越不能忍♥了
The men are less patient.
上次减薪后 一直就没补上来
They've barely made up pay since their last cut.
他们怎么就不听
Why don't they listen?
他们这群无知的人以为凑在一起
They think that just by putting their ignorant heads together
就能得偿所愿
they'll get their way.
别担心 母亲
Don't worry, Mother.
这是个年轻的行业
It's a young industry.
这些问题自会解决的
These problems will iron themselves out.
我们还不需要变卖♥♥
We're not yet in the position of selling up.
你不能从爱尔兰找人来吗
Can't you get men from Ireland?
那你就能赶走罢♥工♥者
Then you can get rid of the strikers.
换我就这么干
I would.
叫他们知道我是主子 我想雇谁雇谁
I'd teach them I was master and could employ who I like.
我可以那么做
Yes, I can.
如果罢♥工♥持续太久 我会那么做的
And I will too, if the strike lasts.
那会很麻烦 很费钱
It'll be trouble and expense
但我宁可那么做也不会屈服
but I will do it rather than give in.
如果真要再多花这份钱
If there is to be this extra expense
那我们今年不该办晚宴了
I'm sorry we're giving the dinner this year.
我们该一切照旧
We should go on as before.
不多不少
No more, no less.
看啊 母亲
There, now, Mother.
可以在这些里面挑一件去桑顿家...
Surely one of these will do for the Thorntons'...
抱歉
Excuse me.
这是玛格丽特吧
And this is Margaret, of course.
上次我见你时
You know the last time I saw you,
你才八岁
you were eight years old,
跟你哥哥一起在海尔斯顿疯闹
running round Helstone with your brother.
贝尔先生
Mr Bell!
是啊
Of course!
您好吗
How do you do?
黑尔 我当时就想
Well, Hale, I thought then,
她有天会出落成美丽的年轻女子
that she would grow into a handsome young woman,
但我没想到会成为这样的女神
but this goddess I never imagined.
得了 贝尔 玛格丽特不会理解你的玩笑的
Come, come, Bell. Margaret will not understand your humour.
-无意冒犯 亲爱的 -当然
- No offence, my dear. - Of course not.
我很高兴您终于来了
I am pleased you've come to visit at last.
罢♥工♥传得很盛
With all this talk of strikes,
我觉得我该来问问我的银行家
I thought I better check with my banker
我是不是该卖♥♥掉地♥产♥
whether I should sell up my property.
不会吧
Surely not.
我们尚不确定真会发生罢♥工♥ 是吧 父亲
We're not even certain there'll be a strike, are we, Father?
我不知道
I don't know.
主子们和工人们似乎永远无法达成一致
Seems to me that masters and workers will never see eye to eye.
我教学时 结识了很多工人
In my teaching capacity, I meet many a working man.
他们有些很悲惨的故事
They have some dreadful tales
表达了发自内心的想法
and speak from the heart
和罢♥工♥的理由
and have arguments for the strike
在我看来 似乎是合情合理
which appear to me to be entirely logical.
他们五年前减了薪
You know, they suffered a pay cut, five years ago
之后再没涨回原来的水平
and have never got back to those wages.
可是食物价格却一直上涨
No, though the price of food goes up all the time.
但然后 我们的朋友桑顿来学习
But then our friend Thornton comes to read
他回答了我的问题
and he answers my questions
振振有词地说明了另一边的立场
and puts the other side so eloquently...
我真不知该怎么想了
I truly don't know what to think.
桑顿先生当然对自己的想法振振有词了
I'm sure Mr Thornton does put his own view very eloquently.
没想到桑顿一家还要办晚宴
I'm surprised the Thorntons are having a dinner,
毕竟麻烦降至
with trouble looming.
桑顿家每年都在
The Thorntons have an annual dinner
同一天举办晚宴
on exactly the same date every year.
时代和潮流都不能阻拦桑顿太太的晚宴
Time nor tide stops for Mrs Thornton's dinners.
她不会被任何人阻挡
She does not turn back for any man.
这话不假
Now, that is very true!
玛格丽特也跟工人们交了朋友
You know, Margaret's also made friends amongst the workers.
是吗
Really?
真了不起
Extraordinary girl.
你拒绝了
You've said no?
他们都等着呢
They were expecting it.
很抱歉我这么久才回复你上一封信
I'm sorry to have taken so long to reply to your last letter
你问我什么颜色最适合宝宝
when you were asking what colour would suit the baby best.
我真想见他
I do so long to see him.
不管你选什么 他肯定都会很好看
I'm sure he'll look splendid in whatever you choose.
我一直很忙
I've been very busy.
这很奇怪
It's strange,
因为除我之外的米尔顿都闲了下来
for the rest of Milton is not at work.
工厂数周来一直关着
The mills have been dark for some weeks
街道也异常安静
and the streets are strangely quiet.
人们努力维生
People try to scrape what living they can.
但绝望的气息四处弥漫
But all around there is desperation.
工人们和主子们都坚定各自的立场
Both workers and masters are holding fast to their positions.
都不肯让步
Neither will give way.
没人知道罢♥工♥还要多久
And no one can say how long the strike will last.
不 我妻子 不行
No! My wife! No!
她越来越消沉了
No. She's sinking away.
她受不了看到孩子挨饿
She can't stand the sight of her little 'uns starving.
我们拿不到那5%她就会没命
She'll be dead before we get our five per cent!
我恨你
I hate you!
你和整个工会
You and the whole pack of the union!
你说两周就结束的
Said it'd take two weeks.
两周
Two weeks, you said.
这都四周了
It's been twice as long as that
我的孩子都躺在床上 饿得哭不出
and my little 'uns are lying in their beds too hungry to cry.
行了
Don't.
我说过 我会照顾好你
Now, I told you I would take care of you...
我拿我的心和灵魂发誓 我们会赢的
and I pledge my heart and soul that we will win.
你叫人看着孩子挨饿
You expect a man to watch his children starve
也不能违抗工会
'ere he dare go against the union.
你不比一群饿狼更有怜悯心
You've no more pity for a man than a pack of hungry wolves.
我们只能尽力而为
We do what little we can.
我觉得愧疚 我们不用挨饿
剧集 | 南方与北方(2004) | 导航列表