剧集 | 南方与北方(2004) | 导航列表
From Hampshire.
那里比伦敦还南吧
That's beyond London, I reckon.
你们住哪
Where do you live?
我们在普林斯顿的弗朗西斯街
We put up Frances Street, in Princeton.
金龙酒馆后面
Behind Golden Dragon.
你们叫什么呢
And your name?
我叫玛格丽特·黑尔
My name is Margaret Hale.
我是尼古拉斯·希金斯
My name is Nicholas Higgins.
这是我女儿贝茜·希金斯 问这做什么
This is my daughter Bessy Higgins. Why do you ask?
我想改日带着小篮去拜访
Well, I... I thought that I might come and bring a basket.
抱歉
Excuse me.
在家乡那边 我父亲还是牧师的时候
At... at home, when my father was a clergyman...
小篮
A basket?
我们要小篮做什么
What would we want with a basket?
我们都没什么可往里放的
We've little enough to put in it.
我不喜欢有陌生人去我家
See, I don't much like strangers in my house.
我敢说在南方 你们家乡那边
I dare say in the South, where you come from,
你这样的小姐
a young lady such as yourself
觉得自己可以随时
feels she can wander into anyone's house
去任何人家
whenever they feel like it.
但在北方 我们要等人邀请
But up here, we wait to be asked into someone's parlour
才能登门入室
before we go charging in.
抱歉 希金斯先生
Excuse me, Mr Higgins,
贝茜 我无意冒犯
Bessy, I... I didn't mean any offence.
所以我觉得你如果想来就来吧
That's why I reckon you can come if you want,
但你不会记得我们的
but you'll not remember us.
我敢打赌
I'll bet on that.
玛格丽特
Margaret!
怎么了 您不舒服吗
What's the matter? Are you unwell?
那肯定是桑顿先生的母亲
It must be Mr Thornton's mother.
那两撇横眉可错不了
Well, there's no mistaking that stern brow.
那肯定是他妹妹了
And that must be the sister.
好费料的裙子
What a deal of starch!
熨好那件衬裙得要一天的功夫
It would take someone all day to iron that petticoat.
我们安排她们坐哪 妈妈
Where will we put them, Mama?
我觉得这里恐怕装不下她俩
I don't think the two of them will fit in here.
真精致
How exquisite.
我都好久没见过这样的英国针线活儿了
I haven't seen English pointwork quite like that for years.
我们米尔顿的工艺不逊于任何地方
Our Milton craftsmanship can compare with the very best.
你不怎么喜欢音乐吧 我没看到有钢琴
I suppose you are not musical, as I see no piano.
我喜欢音乐 但我不太会弹
I am fond of music, but I cannot play well myself.
不难看出 这房♥子也放不下大乐器
As you can see, this house would hardly bear a grand instrument.
我们搬家时卖♥♥掉了我们的钢琴
We sold ours when we moved.
是啊 这房♥间进行消遣是太小了
Yes, these rooms are far too small for entertaining.
我们家的楼梯都比这个房♥间宽
Our staircases are wider than the whole width of this room.
真不知你没有钢琴要怎么活
I wonder how you can exist without a piano.
我觉得那差不多是生活必需品
It almost seems to me a necessity of life.
这里有演奏会吧
There are concerts here, I believe.
是的 还挺挤的
Oh, yes. Rather crowded.
什么人都可以进
They let in anybody.
但伦敦的时髦货我们都有
But we have whatever is the fashion in London.
虽然要慢一点才能传过来
A little later, unfortunately.
-你熟悉伦敦吧 -是的
- You know London, of course. - Oh, yes.
我跟姨妈和表妹在那里住过一段时间
I lived there with my aunt and cousin for a while.
伦敦和阿罕布拉宫
London and the Alhambra.
这是两个我一直想去见识的地方
They are the two places I long to see.
阿罕布拉宫
The Alhambra?
是的 自从我读了《阿罕布拉传说》
Yes, ever since I read the "Tales of the Alhambra".
你听说过吗
Do you know them?
我...好像没有
I don't... think so.
但到伦敦很好走 又不算太远
But it's a very easy journey to London and not half so far.
是啊 但是
Yes, but...
妈妈从未去过伦敦
Mama has never been to London.
她无法理解我为什么那么想去
She cannot understand why I long to go.
她很为米尔顿自豪
She's very proud of Milton.
这又脏又浊的地方
Dirty, smoky place that it is.
我真等不及离开了
I can't wait to leave.
我可以问问你们为什么决定搬来米尔顿吗
May I ask why you chose to come and live in Milton?
你们为什么离开之前住的...什么地方
I mean... why did you leave wherever it was?
海尔斯顿
Helstone.
这
Well, it...
是我丈夫的决定
...it... it was my husband's decision.
事关...良心
It was a matter of... of conscience.
但黑尔先生不是已经不再做牧师了吗
But Mr Hale is no longer a clergyman, I thought.
我丈夫很喜欢给桑顿先生上课
My husband very much enjoys his lessons with Mr Thornton.
我觉得这让他找回了青春的感觉
I think it makes him feel young again.
经典文学对于那些
Classics are all very well for men
在乡下和大学里无所事事的男人来说还好
who loiter their lives away in the country or at colleges.
但米尔顿的男人就该把全部精力
But Milton men ought to have all their energies
投入眼下的工作
absorbed by today's work.
他们该只有一个目标
They should have one aim only.
那就是维持住在本国商人中
Which is to hold and maintain an honourable place
尊贵的地位
amongst the merchants of this country.
不管你们去哪
Go where you will,
米尔顿的约翰·桑顿
the name of John Thornton in Milton,
制♥造♥商和治安法官
manufacturer and magistrate,
是所有商人都知道尊重的
is known and respected amongst all men of business.
米尔顿的小姐们也全都对他趋之若鹜
And sought after by all the young women in Milton.
肯定不会是全都吧
Not all of them, surely.
如果您有我这样的儿子 黑尔太太
If you had a son like mine, Mrs Hale,
也会毫不害羞地夸赞他的
you would not be embarrassed to sing his praises.
如果你们不嫌弃去我们又脏又浊的寒舍看看
If you can bear to visit our dirty, smoky home,
那我们下周见
we shall receive you next week.
桑顿太太
Mrs Thornton.
房♥子真美
Well, what a splendid house!
但是 你不会觉得
But, er... do you not find
离工厂这么近会有点
the proximity to the mill a little, erm...
太吵吗
...well, noisy?
从来不会
Never.
我还没高贵到忘记
I've not become so fine as to forget
我儿子权力和财富的来源
the source of my son's power and wealth.
工厂就是一切
The mill is everything.
米尔顿再没有第二家这样的工厂
There is no other factory like it in Milton.
这栋房♥子是我儿子的成就
This house is my son's achievement.
我说过吗 桑顿
Did I tell you, Thornton,
关于我在勒阿弗尔找到的原棉的价格
about the price of raw cotton I found in Le Havre?
你说过
I believe you did.
得了 桑顿
Come on, Thornton.
就算是你也该看得出这是笔好买♥♥卖♥♥
Even you can spot a bargain when you see it.
加勒比的棉花
Cotton's a great deal cheaper
比美国的便宜得多
from the Caribbean than from America.
瞎说
Nonesense.
我敢打赌埃及棉还是更便宜
I'll bet you Egyptian cotton is still much cheaper.
我不相信这价钱能维持太久
I don't believe they can offer those prices for long.
他们一年内就会破产
They'll be bankrupt in a year
我们的供货就断了
and we'll have our supply interrupted.
我宁可花更多钱买♥♥利物浦稳定的货源
I'd rather pay more for a steady supply through Liverpool.
这最后只会害我们失去一切
All that's can do is that we shall all lose in the end.
桑顿从不取巧
Thornton's as straight as they come.
他从不拿马尔堡工厂冒险
He won't risk Malborough Mill at any risky enterprise,
哪怕是为此错过投机的机会
even if it means passing up the chance to speculate.
但这就是最佳的办法吧
But that's best way, surely,
毕竟这么多人指着工厂的持续成功运作
with so many lives depending on the factory's continued success?
那是基♥督♥徒该做的
Well... that would be the Christian way.
对了 各位
By the way everyone,
听说最近因为风扇引起的闹剧了吗
you hear the latest over clamouring for a new wheel?
你不是答应安风扇了吗
Thought you would agreed to the wheel.
原本是的
Yeah, well I had.
起初 他们威胁说
First, the men threatened to turn out
我不安风扇他们就罢♥工♥
if I didn't install the infernal wheel.
那本会耗费我六百镑
剧集 | 南方与北方(2004) | 导航列表