剧集 | 南方与北方(2004) | 导航列表
Which would've cost me 600 pounds.
风扇能吹走
The wheel blows away the strands of cotton
在选料室里飘的棉渣
that flys off in the sorting rooms.
能让工人少吸绒毛
Helps keeps the fluff off the workers' lungs.
并不能完全杜绝 但有所缓解
It doesn't stop it, but it does help.
那问题出在哪
So, what was the problem?
有些工人开始宣称
Well, some of the workers started to claim
在安风扇的厂里干活儿应该多拿钱
that they need more money to work in a place with a wheel.
-什么 -是的 真是这样
- What? - Yes. Believe me.
他们听说那会让他们挨饿
They heard it'd make 'em hungry,
比他们现在自称的更饿
even hungrier than they claim they are!
-风扇会让他们挨饿 -是的 真的
- The wheel will make them hungry - Yes, I swear.
有些人说 如果我安了风扇
Some of them said that if I put the wheel
就没那么多绒毛可吞下去
and there wouldn't be so much fluff to swallow,
他们就肚子空空了
so their bellies'd be emptier.
是啊 所以...妙的就在这里
Oh, yes. So... and this is the beautiful part.
他们说 我得付更高的工钱
They are saying I'd have to pay 'em more.
这下他们自己内部意见不合
And now the men have split among themselves
无法就诉求达成一致
and can't agree to what they want,
所以 我省了六百镑
so I've been spared 600 pounds
而他们只能怪自己
and the men have only themselves to thank for
让梳棉间天天像圣诞节
the carding rooms being like Christmas everyday
还喷嚏不停
with all that sneezing.
得了 桑顿
Come on, Thornton.
你肯定不会乐意你的工人
Surely you won't approve of your workers
向你提出该给他们多少钱吧
telling you what to pay 'em?
我这两年给我的工厂都安了风扇
I've had a wheel in all my sheds for these past two years.
那是你犯傻 我看不出这有什么利润
More fool you. I can't see profit in it.
是没有立刻可见的利润
There is no immediate profit.
没法拿钱来算
None that you can count in pounds, shillings and pence.
但是
But?
你有个"但是"要说吧
Well, there is a "but", in't there?
但是
But...
我的工人更健康
my workers are healthier.
他们的肺不那么容易堵塞
Their lungs don't clog so easily.
他们为我工作得更久
They work for me longer.
他们的孩子为我工作得更久
Their children work for me longer.
就算你也该看得出这其中的利润
Even you can see profit in that.
但是 这也是正确的做法啊
But surely, erm... it's the right path, also.
只是合理的生意经 黑尔先生
Sound business sense, Mr Hale,
我不能按其他道德规则行事
and I cannot operate under any other moral law.
我不是在经营慈善机构
I do not run a charitable institution.
我的工人知道我会严厉 但坦诚
My workers expect me to be hard, but truthful.
我总跟他们说实话
I always tell them how things are
他们要么接受要么走人
and they take it or they leave it.
哈克尼斯总跟他的工人耍诡计
Harkness is always try little tricks with his workers.
你得让他们提心吊胆
You've got to keep them on their toes.
这是战争
It's a war,
我们这些主子要么赢 要么就倒闭
and we masters have to win it or go under.
说得好
Hear, hear!
妈妈 我收到了伊迪丝的信
Mama, I have a letter from Edith.
要听我念吗
Would you like me to read it to you?
她带来了肖姨妈的问候
She sends love from Aunt Shaw.
不知你父亲是不是更喜欢与米尔顿的商人作伴
I wonder that your father prefers the company of Milton traders.
就好像我的活儿还不够多
As if there wasn't enough to do already!
我们根本没有其他帮手
We've got no help to speak of.
事事都得我来
I have to do everything.
这都怪老爷
It's all the master's fault.
他真是疯了才会带我们来这里
He took leave of his senses when he brought us here.
他不是海尔斯顿的牧师了
He is not the vicar of Helstone any more.
他抛弃了他的社会地位
He has thrown away his position in society
把我们也都拉了下来
and brought us all down with him.
他会害死我们的
He'll be the death of us all!
迪克森
Dixon.
我知道你爱我母亲
I know you love my mother,
但你忘了自己的身份
but you forget yourself.
请别那么说我父亲
Please don't talk about my father in that way.
你不该质疑他的动机和判断
It's not for you to question his motives or judgement.
你是这家的仆人
You're a servant in this house.
即便你这么想 也别说出来
If you have such thoughts keep them to yourself,
否则你大可离开
or you are free to leave
随时回海尔斯顿去
and go back to Helstone whenever you choose.
不管怎样 我们已经来了
Like it or not... we are here.
我会帮你
I will help you.
您 玛格丽特小姐 进厨房♥吗
You, Miss Margaret? In the kitchen?
是的 我
Yes. Me.
我可以学习给衣服上浆 熨衣服
I can learn to starch and iron, and
一直到我们找到合适的仆人
I will until we find suitable help.
听我的 迪克森
You'll do as I say, Dixon.
打扰 我在找贝茜·希金斯
Excuse me. I'm looking for Bessy Higgins.
我肯定是走错了方向
I must have come in the wrong direction.
她住在那边 就在拐角处
She lives along the way, just round corner.
没事 她不是怕你
It's all right, she's not frightened of you.
她就是饿了 所以才哭
She's hungry. That's why she cries.
贝茜就住在拐角
Bessy's just round the corner.
打扰 我以为贝茜·希金斯住这里
Excuse me, I thought Bessy Higgins lived here.
抱歉我没早点来
I'm sorry I didn't come earlier.
说实话 我不知道你们是不是欢迎我来
To tell you the truth, I didn't know that I would be welcome.
我担心杂货会冒犯你们
I thought the groceries would be offensive.
但如果我什么都不带就来
But then if I come without anything...
如果我们能找到一丝冒犯之处
If there's a remote possibility of us finding offence,
我们肯定能找到
you can be sure we will.
我们米尔顿人很擅长挑刺
We're very good at that in Milton.
我觉得我已经在米尔顿住了好一阵了
I feel I've lived in Milton for quite some time now,
却还是到处犯错
but I still find myself constantly at fault whichever way I turn.
你觉得情况要多久才会有所改变
How long do you think it will take for that to change?
就你而言 至少好几年吧
A couple of years at least, in your case.
抱歉
Sorry...
我就是得了感冒 怎么也好不了
It's just I have a bit of cold I can't seem to shift.
她说对了 她说你会来的
She were right. She said you'd come.
会面怎么样 父亲
How was the meeting, Father?
别担心我
Do not worry on my account.
我又没人可去泄密
I have no one to tell any secrets to.
你的牧师♥父♥亲可跟老板们吃过饭
Well, your father the parson's been seen supping with the bosses.
桑顿先生是他的学生
Mr Thornton is his pupil.
他绝不是我的朋友
He's certainly not my friend.
鲍彻呢 他是我们沿街的邻居
And Boucher? He's our neighbour down the way.
他还在勉强支撑
He's holding up. Just.
但等真到时候了 他会跟我们站在一起
But he'll be with us when the fire goes up, right enough
如果他知道好歹
if he knows what's good for him.
玛格丽特小姐 你父亲在演讲厅讲课 是吧
Miss Margret, your father teaches at the Lyceum Hall, doesn't he?
是的 每周日下午
Yes, he does. Sunday afternoons.
母亲 记住我晚上要去黑尔家
Mother, remember I go to the Hales this evening.
我会回家更衣 然后晚归
I will be home to dress, but then out till late.
更衣 去跟个老牧师喝茶何必还打扮一番
Dress? Why should you dress up to take tea with an old parson?
前牧师
Ex-parson.
黑尔先生是位绅士
Mr Hale is a gentleman
他女儿是位有教养的淑女
and his daughter is an accomplished young lady.
别担心 母亲 黑尔小姐不会是个威胁
Don't worry, Mother. I'm in no danger from Miss Hale.
她恐怕不会视我为金龟婿的
She's very unlikely to consider me a catch.
她来自南方 看不惯我们北方的风格
She's from the South. She doesn't care for our Northern ways.
摆架子
Airs and graces.
她有什么权利
What business has she?
就是个落跑牧师的女儿
A renegade clergyman's daughter,
他现在只能给那些听不进去的人
who's now only fit to play at giving useless lectures
讲些没用的课
to those who do not wish to hear them.
她凭什么不屑于你
What right has she to turn up her nose at you?
把窗户封上
Board up the windows.
稍晚些要刮大风
There'll be a storm later.
全是喧嚣和动力 但真的很美妙
All motion and energy, but truly a thing of beauty.
经典文学需要重写 把它囊括进去
剧集 | 南方与北方(2004) | 导航列表