剧集 | 南方与北方(2004) | 导航列表
The classics would have to be rewritten to include it.
我们对纺纱机发明的热情
I'm afraid we're boring Miss Hale
恐怕让黑尔小姐感到无聊了
with our enthusiasm for Arkwright invention.
没有
No.
事实上 我想那一定很有趣
Indeed, I'm sure it's fascinating.
我就是有点累了
I'm a little tired, that's all.
桑顿先生夸赞了
Mr Thornton has been admiring
我们新装饰的房♥间 玛莉娅
our newly redecorated rooms, Maria.
是啊 桑顿先生
Yes, Mr Thornton.
选择不是很多
Well, there wasn't a great deal of choice,
但这墙纸跟我们海尔斯顿的
but these papers are of a similar shade
起居室颜色相近
to our drawing room in Helstone.
但还差点
But not quite.
代表米尔顿的品位
Well, on behalf of Milton taste,
我很高兴我们勉强过关
I'm glad we've almost passed muster.
是啊
Yes. Yes, well...
显然 你很为米尔顿自豪
clearly, you're very proud of Milton.
我丈夫和我欣赏这里的活力和
My husband admires its energy and its...
这里的人
...its people are...
都忙于取得生意上的成功
very busy making their businesses successful.
我不否认
I won't deny it.
不论成功与否 我都宁可在这里辛劳
I'd rather be toiling here, success or failure,
而不是在南方过着富庶无聊的生活
than leading a dull, prosperous life in the South,
生活节奏缓慢 无忧无虑
with their slow, careless days of ease.
你错了
You are mistaken.
你根本不了解南方
You don't know anything about the South. It...
或许在
It may be a little less
商业竞争方面不那么激烈
energetic in its pursuit of competitive trade,
但也没有我在你工厂里见到的那种苦难
but then there is less suffering than I have seen in your mills.
又是为了什么呢
And all for what?
我们做棉布
We make cotton.
但没人想穿
Which no one wants to wear.
我想我可以说 你不了解北方
I think that I might say that you do not know the North.
我们这些主子并不都一样
We masters are not all the same,
不管你对米尔顿男人和我们的行事风格有什么偏见
whatever your prejudice against Milton men and our ways.
我见过你是如何对待你的工人
I've seen the way you treat your men,
你对他们恣意妄为
you treat them as you wish
就因为他们地位比你低
because they are beneath you.
不是的
No, I do not.
你有福气 这般幸运 拥有财富
You've been blessed with good luck and fortune,
但其他人不是如此
but others have not.
我也是了解艰苦的
I do know something of hardship.
十六年前 我父亲死了
16 years ago, my father died...
当时情况窘迫
in very miserable circumstances.
我立刻成为了一家之主
I became the head of the family very quickly.
我辍了学
I was taken out of school.
我想我可以说 我唯一的好运
I think that I might say that my only good luck
就是我的母亲意志坚定 为人正直
was to have a mother of such strong will and integrity.
我去一家服装店做工
I went to work in a draper's shop
我母亲努力维系
and my mother managed
让我一周能存下来三先令
so that I could put three shillings aside a week.
这教会了我克制
That taught me self-denial.
现在我可以让
Now I'm able to keep my mother
年事已高的母亲过上舒坦日子
in such comfort as her age requires,
每天我都感激她早年对我的培养
and I thank her every day for that early training.
所以 黑尔小姐 我并不认为我格外有福气
So, Miss Hale, I do not think that I was especially blessed with
拥有财富或好运
good fortune or luck.
我待得太久了
I outstayed my welcome.
不 约翰
Oh, no, John.
来吧 黑尔小姐 我们放下分歧友好地道别吧
Come, Miss Hale, let's part friends despite our differences.
等我们更熟悉彼此的习俗
If we become more familiar with each other's traditions,
或许也能更宽容
we may learn to be more tolerant, I think.
我自己出去了
I'll see myself out.
务必要再来 约翰
Please. Please come again, John.
玛格丽特
Margaret.
握手在这里适用于各种社交场合
The handshake is used up here in all forms of society.
我觉得你不肯跟桑顿先生握手
I think you gave Mr Thornton real offence
对他是很大的冒犯
by refusing to take his hand.
对不起 父亲
I'm sorry, Father.
对不起我对米尔顿的礼节学得这么慢
I'm sorry I'm so slow to learn the rules of civility in Milton,
但我好累
but I'm tired.
我一整天都在洗窗帘
I have spent the whole day washing curtains
就为了让桑顿先生感觉宾至如归
so that Mr Thornton should feel at home.
请原谅我误解了他握手的意图
So, please, excuse me if I misunderstood the handshake.
在伦敦
I am sure in London,
一位绅士肯定不会认为女士会就那样握他的手
a gentleman would never expect a lady to take his hand like that,
这么突然
all... unexpectedly.
而且他说起他的过去时
And I'm sure I didn't know where to look
我都不知道该看哪里
when he talked about his past.
他父亲可能是死在济贫院呢
His father might have died in the workhouse.
情况可能要更糟些
I think it might have been worse than that.
据我的朋友贝尔先生讲
According to my friend Mr Bell,
他父亲大肆投机 输了个精光
his father speculated wildly and lost.
他被一位伦敦的生意伙伴骗了
He, erm... he was swindled by a business partner in London.
他
He, erm...
自杀了
...he killed himself.
因为他受不了那样的耻辱
Because he couldn't bear the disgrace.
孤儿寡母多年来一穷二白
Mother and son and daughter lived on nothing for years
只为了能偿还债主
so that the creditors could be repaid,
而他们早就放弃收账的希望了
long after they'd given up any hope of settlement.
玛格丽特
Margaret?
这真感人 父亲
I think it very fine, Father.
抱歉我冒犯了您的朋友
I am sorry to have offended your friend.
我得去睡了
And I must go to bed.
记下他 他是我们的人吧
Put him down. He's one of ours, isn't he?
鲍彻 是桑顿的
Boucher? He's Thornton's.
你不感兴趣吗 桑顿
Aren't you interested, Thornton?
所有工厂的工人聚在一起
All mills together, if you please.
我们得叫他们知道
We need to show them
我们知道他们的打算 也清楚自己的实力
we know what they're up to and we know what we have.
让他们集♥会♥吧
Let them meet,
如果他们闲暇时间就想这么打发的话
if that's how they want to spend their leisure time.
我们都在努力合作 桑顿
We're all trying to work together, Thornton.
是吗
Are we?
这话什么意思
What does that mean?
我听到了我手下的谈话
I overheard some of my men talking.
看来你打算向他们屈服了
It seems you're planning to give in to them.
我们说好的
We agreed.
我们要统一阵线
We'd all be in line.
好让他们知道我们不是闹着玩的
So that the men would know we meant business
而且我们说到做到
and know that we kept our word.
我
Well, I...
父亲
Father?
哎呀
Well!
我的学生问我能不能借用下讲厅
My, er... pupils asked if they could use the hall for...
进行特别集♥会♥
a special meeting.
我怎么能逼他们听教堂建筑讲座呢
Who am I to force ecclesiastical architecture on them?
安静
Quiet!
请安静
Quiet, please!
朋友们
Friends...
欢迎
welcome.
这是我们第一次齐聚一堂
Now, this is the first time we have ever gathered together.
别担心 大家都有说话的机会
Now, don't worry, you'll all get a chance to speak,
只要我们一个个来
as long as we take our turn.
我是尼古拉斯·希金斯
Now, I'm Nicholas Higgins.
我在汉普工厂工作
I work up at Hamper's Mill.
我们这边来了不少
Now, there's quite a few of us.
还有桑顿马尔堡工厂来的
There's some men from Thornton's at Marlborough Mill.
亨德森工厂的呢
Where's Henderson's?
斯里克森工厂的呢
What about Slickson's?
在汉普工厂
剧集 | 南方与北方(2004) | 导航列表