你知道,我见过他握手无数次了
MAN: You know, I've seen him do it a million times now,
但我无法告诉你 他在右手的部分是怎么做的,亨利
but I can't tell you how he does it, Henry.
The right-handed part.
不过可以告诉你 他左手动作的真正含意
I can tell you a whole lot about what he does with his left hand, though.
他很擅长的
He's a genius with it.
他把左手放在你的手肘或上臂时 就像现在这样
He might put that left hand on your elbow
or on your bicep, like he's doing now.
很基本的动作,表示他对你有兴趣
Very basic move. He's interested in you.
很荣幸见到你
He's honored to meet you.
如果再高一点,放在肩膀上,像这样
If he gets any higher, if he gets on your shoulder, like that,
不是代表很亲密
it's not as intimate.
这表示他想跟你分享个笑话或小秘密
It means he'll share a laugh with you or a secret, a light secret,
不是很认真,只是想取悦
not a real one, but very flattering.
如果跟你不是很熟 而又想跟你分享一些感动的事
If he doesn't know you that well and wants to share something emotional with you,
他会用双手紧握着你
he'll lock you in a two-hander.
等一下跟你握手时你就懂了,亨利
Well, you'll see when he shakes hands with you, Henry.
州长
Governor.
- 史坦顿州长,这位是亨利‧波顿 - 州长好
Governor Stanton, this is Henry Burton. Governor.
我小时候见过你的祖父
I met your grandfather when I was a boy.
我搭便车去华盛顿听他的演说
I hitchhiked to Washington to hear him speak.
- 他是位伟人 - 谢谢你
He was a great man. Thank you, sir.
- 你好吗? - 幸会
How are you? Good to see you.
我敢说他真的很高兴你的加入
He's really glad you're coming on board. I can tell.
我没说过要加入
I didn't say I was coming on board.
你说我要加入吗?
Did you tell him I was coming on board?
我没说过,放轻松
No, take it easy.
他在这里做什么? 他只是个名不见经传的南方州长
What is he doing here anyway? He's a Southern governor nobody's heard of.
你这句话听起来就像竞选经理
Already you're sounding like a campaign manager.
- 郝尔德,我是说… - 开玩笑的啦
Howard, I said. . . I'm kidding, I'm kidding.
如果告诉你杰克‧史坦顿在此 是因为他对成人阅读有兴趣
If I told you Jack Stanton's here 'cause he's interested in adult literacy,
你一定会说这是放屁
you'd tell me I was full of shit.
没错
Yes.
郝尔德‧弗格森,亨利‧波顿 这位是玛丽安‧沃尔许
Howard Ferguson, Henry Burton, this is Marianne Walsh,
主持这项计划的一位很特别的图书馆员
the very special librarian who's running these classes.
谢谢你,沃尔许州长… 抱歉,是史坦顿州长
Thank you, Governor Walsh. . . Oh, Governor Stanton. I'm sorry.
(ALL LAUGHING)
我有点紧张,对不起
I'm a little nervous. I'm sorry. Um.
请跟我来,我带你去图书馆
If you'll walk with me, I'll take you up to the, uh, library.
墙壁很糟糕
The walls are pretty bad,
不过,图书馆还很…
but the, uh, the library is much, um...
- 很好? - 没错,没错
Better? Uh, yes, yes.
我们很引以为荣
We're very proud of the library.
- 这项计划启动多久了? - 大概三年了
How long ago did you start up this reading program? About three years ago.
我们没有经费 呃,是经费拮据
We have no money. Uh, very little money.
就我所知,这是纽约州唯一的读书计划
It's the only reading program like it in New York, that I know of.
当然,也许还有其他我…不知道的
Of course, there may be others, but I don't. . . . . .know of them.
Ooh ! (CHUCKLING)
- 你没事吧? - 我没事,谢谢
Are you all right? Yes, I'm fine. Thank you.
没事…
Yes. Um...
我叫茹碧,本地人 我加入这项课程两个月了
My name is Ruby. I'm a domestic. I've been in this class two months.
- 我是杰克‧曼德拉‧华盛顿,是杂工 - 你好吗,杰克?
Jack Mandela Washington. I'm a handyman. How are you, Jack?
- 我是塔瓦娜‧卡特,女服务生 - 幸会,塔瓦娜
Tawana Carter. I'm a waitress. Good to meet you, Tawana.
我是安东尼‧拉米瑞兹,木匠
Anthony Ramirez, freelance carpenter.
- 很高兴见到你 - 我是雷蒙‧多米尼,卡车司机
JACK: Nice to meet you. Raymond Dominguez. I'm a truck driver.
- 我要说“欢迎加入” - 我没说过要加入
I just wanted to say, "Welcome aboard." What? I'm not on board.
- 我只是… - 我是玛丽亚‧罗培兹,女服务生
I just ca. . . Maria Lopez, waitress.
- 你在开玩笑吗? - 没错
You're kidding too, right? Yeah.
何不跟州长分享你的故事,杜恩?
Why don't you tell the governor a little bit about yourself, Dewayne.
我…我是临时约聘厨师
DEWAYNE: I'm a. . . I'm a short order chef.
而…参加课程之前,完全不会阅读
And, uh, until I come here, I couldn't read a lick.
杜恩有阅读困难
Dewayne's dyslexic.
呃,老师只会一直让我升级…
And, uh, they just kept a-passin' me up...
三年级,四年级
third grade, fourth grade.
而我只是坐在最后一排,无人理会
Uh, I just sit in the back and stickin' to my own self.
然后…从没人注意过我
And, uh, it was like no one noticed.
就一直这样,然后…小学毕业
I go on all the ways through and, uh, I graduated elementary school.
接着,就送我上中学了
And, uh, they sent me to Ben Franklin.
一般来说都是这样
That's general studies.
他们本来应该送我去动物园的
They could've sent me to the Bronx Zoo.
从来没人说过“杜恩,你不会阅读”
I mean, no one ever say, "Dewayne, you can't read.
“你这傻屌♥还能干嘛?” 请原谅我的粗话
"What you gonna do with your sorry ass?" Excuse me.
总之,终于毕业了,我妈妈来参加
(CLEARS THROAT) Anyway, graduation come, and my mama come.
她向工作的洗衣店请了一天假
She take the day off from the laundry where she work at.
所以毕业当天我们都出席
So we're there, and, um,
校长念着毕业生姓名
Dr. Dalembretti is calling out the names on the diplomas,
还有…还有每个人的成就
and, uh, and. . . and what each kid done.
像是“沙罗娜‧哈里斯,成绩优异”
You know, like, "Sharonna Harris, honors.
“泰隆‧柯比,通过州立测验”
"Tyrone Kirby, Regents diploma."
然后…
And then...
当他念到我的名字
Then he come to my name,
然后所有人都听见他说…
and, uh, he say so everyone hear it...
他说“杜恩‧史密斯…”
He said, "Dewayne Smith...
“得到…”
"receives certificate...
“全勤”
"of attendance."
所有人都窃窃私语
You could hear people buzzin'.
还有些人笑了出来
I mean, a couple of folks was laughin'.
但我必须上台领♥取♥文凭
I got to go up there and get this.
我站在台上时
I got to stand up there,
好想死
just dyin',
试着别看台下的表情
trying not to look at anyone.
试着别让自己看起来很傻
Trying not to look too stupid, you know?
(MURMURING AGREEMENT)
我妈妈就坐在前排
And Mama's sittin' out front.
戴着帽子,包包放在腿上
She got her hat on. She got her purse on her lap.
眼泪就从她的眼镜后面流了下来…
And tears coming down from behind her glasses...
就像…就像出席葬礼
like someone. . . like someone died.
(SNIFFLES)
(SNIFFLING)
(SIGHS)
我想感谢你…
JACK: I wanna thank you...
跟我们分享这个故事,杜恩
for sharing that with us, Dewayne.
我想感谢各位充满勇气
I want to thank all of you for having real courage.
我的查理叔叔…
My Uncle Charlie...
是…是二次大战的英雄
was a. . . a war hero, World War II.
他被送去硫磺岛作战 也就是英勇升旗的地方
He was sent to Iwo Jima, where they raised the flag.
他夺下了四座日军机♥枪♥堡 日本士兵…
He took out four machine-gun nests of Japs. . . Japanese soldiers...
把他的同袍打得不敢抬头
who had a squad of his buddies pinned down.
他只用一颗手榴弹、步♥枪♥、刺刀及双手
He had one grenade, his rifle, his bayonet and his bare hands.
- 就夺下来了 - 厉害
And he took 'em out. DEWAYNE: Shit.
杜鲁门总统颁给他荣誉勋章
They gave him the Medal of Honor. President Truman did.
当他回到家乡,所有人列队欢呼
When he came home to Grace Junction, they had a parade for him.
乡里的父老到我家来对他说
The town fathers came to my parents' house and said to him,
“查理,你现在想做什么?”
"Charlie, what you got in mind for yourself now?"
查理说他不知道
Charlie said he didn't know.
镇长说“也许你能用奖学金去念州立大学”
The mayor said, "Maybe you'd like a full scholarship to the state university."
银行家说,经历了这一切 也许查理不想念大学
The banker said maybe Charlie didn't want
to go back to school after all he'd been through.
也许他想来管理银行的事务
Maybe he'd like a management job, a big future at the bank.
锯木厂老板说“你可能不希望 去学校或在银行工作”
The sawmill owner said, "You may not want to be cooped up in a school or a bank.
“来管理我的员工吧” 你知道吗?
"Come manage my crew." You know what?
查理全部推辞了
Damned if Charlie didn't turn 'em all down.
- 那他做什么? - 什么也不做
What'd he do? JACK: Nothin'.
只是躺在沙发抽着烟
He just laid down on his couch and smoked his Luckies.
从未离开过沙发
You couldn't get him off that couch.
- 打仗打糊涂了吗? - 不是
Was he messed up in the head from the war? No.
就只是因为他不会阅读
It was just that he couldn't read.
他觉得很丢脸,不敢告诉别人
He was embarrassed and didn't want to tell anyone.
他有勇气获得国会荣誉勋章
He had the courage to win the Congressional Medal of Honor,
却没有勇气去做 你们每一位在此做的事
but he didn't have the courage to do what each and every one of you is doing here.
他没有勇气承认他需要帮助
He didn't have the courage to admit he needed help and get it.
我能体会你们的作为 并为此赞赏你们对自己的承诺
I understand what you're doing, appreciate it, and honor your commitment.
有人说“杰克,你为何花许多时间 在成人阅读上面?”
People say, "Jack, why do you spend so much time and effort on adult literacy?"
我告诉他们…
And I say to them...
我告诉他们“因为…”
I say to them, "Because...
“这让我见识到了勇气”
电影精选列表