说最新的得奖者是迈克尔·胡佛
Michael Hoover, a winner, had claimed the latest prize.
所以我们的优势是知道了得奖者的名字
So we had the advantage of knowing this person's name,
然后就可以开展初步的背景调查
and we're able to do a little bit of preliminary background.
水晶合声号♥
考虑到他是赌场监赌人
Think he worked as a pit boss at a casino.
所以我想他很熟悉
So I guess he would've been familiar with
赌博 抽奖这种事
gambling and sweepstakes and whatnot.
里克想实施窃听
Rick wanted to try to do the wiretap.
这被称为《监听法》调查
It's a called a Title III investigation, and it's--
监听调查开始了
the wiretap investigation got up.
你只是坐着
And, you know, you're sitting--
没什么事情可以做
you're not really doing anything,
对我来说相当无聊
and that's a boring situation for me.
我不知道在纸上
I don't know how many poems I can write
写几首诗才能消磨完时间
on a piece of paper to get through it.
所以我说 "你对这件事怎么看"
So I said, "Look, what do you think about this?"
当你赢得了大奖 签字领奖之后
When you win, part of your signing up
麦当劳挑战赛获奖者
也就意味着
as a winner is to say,
"我同意接受媒体采访"
"Hey, I'm okay with using my face in the big check",
或是其他手段用于未来的促销
or whatever it is for future promotions.
玩麦当劳大富翁游戏
奖金至少100万美金
我觉得这是一个机会
So I saw that as an opportunity.
我们把媒体当做我们的平台
Let's use that as a platform for us.
我说 "我认为这对于卧底调查来说
I said, "I think this is a great opportunity
是一个不错的机会
for an undercover investigation where we do
我们可以给得奖者打广♥告♥
this TV commercial of the winners
是一家美国直销公♥司♥ 以抽奖的方式推销商品 杂♥志♥订阅以及奖品游戏
就像出版交换所公♥司♥like Publishers Clearing House.
超级大奖2100万
告诉我们 他们怎么赢的奖
Jumping up, telling us how they won these
以及他们做了什么 诸如此类
and what they did with it, that kind of thing.
所以我们可以对胡佛使用这种手段
So we could do that with Hoover.
我们可是生产公♥司♥
You know, we're the production company.
这种手段或许能行"
That's how this could roll."
他说 "马修斯 谁会这样做
He's like, "Mathews, who's gonna do this?
你会这么做吗 反正我不会这么做"
You gonna do it? 'Cause I'm not doing it."
我说 "是的 我会这么做"
And I said, "Yeah, I'm gonna do it."
他说 "你对此一无所知"
He goes, "Well, you don't know anything about that."
我说 "我来当队长
And I said, "I'm gonna be the director.
因为那帮人屁都不做
Because they don't do shit.
车
船
旅行
钱
我要让麦当劳把他们的公共关系给我
And then I'm gonna get McDonald's to give me their public relations."
我就说了这些
That's all I said.
里克说 "等等
And Rick goes, "Wait a minute.
如果我们要插手的话
If we're going to do anything,
就需要特别探员主管的授权
we're gonna need SAC authority."
托马斯·J·克奈尔
衷心感谢伊利诺伊州每一位警♥察♥
我是汤姆·克奈尔
I'm Tom Kneir.
我曾是联调局
I was the special agent in charge of
杰克逊维尔分局的特别探员主管
the Jacksonville office of the FBI.
每个分局都有各自的"特探管"
In each office, you have the SAC for the office.
也就是特别探员主管
That's their Special Agent in Charge.
还有小队
And then you have squads.
通常是与小队负责人接触
Most of the contact is usually with the squad supervisor.
但在这个案子里
But this was--this was a particular case
汤姆·克奈尔前联邦调查局特别探员主管
我与克里斯
that, you know, I had a lot of hands-on with Chris
以及所有参与此案的人都很熟悉
and everybody that worked on that case.
道格那时是个新手
Doug was almost brand new at the time,
他有一枚警徽 一把枪
and he's been given a badge, a gun,
还有一些证明
and some credentials,
现在他有了一件超人斗篷
and now he's got a Superman's cape, right?
走路都带风
And away he goes.
第二天 我被叫了过去
So the next day, I think I was called.
他说 "你得上来一趟"
And he said, "Hey, you need to come up here."
当你听到自己名字的时候
When you hear your name,
马修斯请到特别探员主管办公室
"Mathews to the SAC's office,"
从来没好事
never good.
从来就没好事
Never, ever good.
大家都知道了 好像游街示众
And everybody knows. It's like the walk of shame.
走到电梯的路上
To the elevators, whatever.
"完蛋了 马修斯
"Oh, shit, Mathews.
但愿你还有薪水"
I hope you still have a paycheck."
大家都知道是坏事
'Cause they all know it's bad.
我走进去 是特别探员主管克奈尔
And so I come in and it's SAC Kneir,
分局理事会 里克·登特 格雷汉姆
CDC, the Chief Division Council, Rick Dent, Graham,
就在这么大的房♥间里 特别小
in this room about this size, so small.
他们都看向我
And they all, like, turned to look at me, and I'm like...
我说 "抱歉"
And I go, "I'm sorry."
我只说了这句
That's all I said.
里克说
And Rick goes,
"我觉得这能行
"You know, I think this might work.
就由他负责"
And he's gonna do it."
然后我有点担心
And that right then was probably--if I was ever, like, concerned about,
"我说不好 老兄
"I don't know, man.
这事有可能会变得..."
This might get somewhere--" you know, whatever,
提要求的时候小心一点
be careful what you ask for, thing?
或许我当时是这么想的
Maybe that was the moment for me,
但这个想法很短暂 我就回到会议中了
but it quickly passed and I was back in.
联邦调查局佛罗里达中区分局
杰克逊维尔没有多少卧底探员
We didn't have a lot of undercover agents in Jacksonville.
你可以打电♥话♥给总部说
You know, you could call headquarters and say,
"我们这里需要一位卧底探员"
"Hey, you know, we need a undercover agent down here."
"他近三周都没时间"
"Well, he's not available for three weeks,"
所以我们就孤注一掷
and, you know. And so we--we'd just
像掷骰子一样 说
kind of rolled the dice and said, "You know what?
"道格有点像演员"
Doug is a little bit of an actor anyway,"
我猜我的头发就在那时变白的
so I guess that's when my hair turned white.
不
No.
成为一名卧底探员可不只是
Being an undercover agent, it's not just something
举手请缨 想当就能当的
you raise your hand and decide to do.
有一套严格的程序 培训流程
You know, there's a stringent process, a school,
测试 这些事情都与
testing, all these things that didn't exactly
道格对于卧底探员的理解不太相同
mesh with Doug's concept of being undercover.
他想要...
You know, he wanted to...
想要万众瞩目
wanted to get right up there on stage.
珍妮特·佩利乔蒂特别探员
他不是认证的卧底探员
He was not a certified undercover,
但对于特定的案件
but for a specific case,
可以通过得到"特别探员主管授权"
you can get what they call SAC authority
来从事卧底工作
to do undercover work,
对于这个案子来说 道格·马修斯就拿到了授权
and that's what Doug Mathews did just for that specific case.
我叫珍妮特·佩利乔蒂 我是联调局
My name's Janet Pellicciotti, and I was a special agent
珍妮特·佩利乔蒂前联邦调查局特别探员
杰克逊维尔分局的一名特别探员
for the FBI in the Jacksonville Division.
我曾经也是卧底协调员
I was our undercover coordinator also,
我想帮他成为卧底探员
and I tried to get him to become an undercover agent
因为他有天赋
because he was just-he was a natural.
卧底就像演戏 只是
Undercover was like acting, only...
它是真实的
it's real.
你坐在那里 面对的是真实的威胁
You know, you sit there and there's a real threat,
以及可能伤害你的人
and somebody could harm you.
他们真的可能伤害你
They could really harm you.
如果你跟佩利乔蒂探员聊过
The Jacksonville Division,
杰克逊维尔分局是一个小分局
if you talk to Agent Pellicciotti, is a small division
不常有卧底行动
that didn't do a lot of this.
所以你这次卧底行动只有一次机会
对 有趣的事都由我来做
Right, so I got to do all the fun
还不需要经过繁琐的审核
and not have to go through all the bullshit.
调查真♥相♥ 就是这样
Yeah, just make it happen. That's what it was.
"马修斯 调查真♥相♥"
"Hey, Mathews, just make it happen."
然后我在心里想
And I'm thinking to myself...
一
One...