我当时就是这么做的
And that's exactly what I did.
我当时说 "我中奖了"
And I was just like, "Um, I--I'm the winner."
他就说 "你就是中奖者啊"
And he's like, "Huh. So you're the winner."
就是这么简单
It was just too easy.
但是我当时不知道
But I didn't know...
随之而来的后果是什么
the aftermath that was to follow.
因为有些事情大家都不知道
I mean, 'cause there was things that nobody knew,
我把这些事都藏在心里
and I just kept it all to myself.
得奖者都是我丈夫挑选的
My husband, he picked the winners,
他挑的人都是东海岸的意大利人
but he kept picking Italians on the East Coast.
这些人都有点愚蠢
They were-- they were kind of being stupid about it.
有的人肯定会起疑心
Somebody was bound to get suspicious,
所以我告诉我丈夫
so I told my husband,
"我有个朋友在杰克逊维尔
"I've got a friend in Jacksonville.
让一些女性和有色女性参与进来"
Bring some women into it and women of color."
杰克逊维尔佛罗里达州
我叫格洛里亚·布朗-拜尔
My name is Gloria Brown-Byer,
我住在杰克逊维尔
and I live in Jacksonville.
我一直都住在这里
I've been here all my life.
格洛里亚·布朗100万美金"得奖者"
我之前不想接受采访了
I didn't wanna be interviewed anymore.
我不想跟别人谈及有关麦当劳的事情
I don't want to talk to anybody else about the McDonald's thing.
因为这事情
'Cause it was...
说来话长
a whole lot.
大富翁游戏
来玩美国人最喜爱的桌游
我曾经是麦当劳100万美金的得奖者
I was a McDonald's $1 million winner.
这是我第一次
And... this is the first time
有机会去说
that I've really just had the opportunity to just really just say,
"好吧 我要摊牌了
"Okay, I'm gonna lay all my cards on the table
我要都说出来"
and to tell everything."
我的意思是
I mean... I mean--
即使我姐姐当时在场 她也不知道所有细节
even though my sister was there, she don't know all the details.
这次事件的一些细节
I mean, she'll be hearing this for the first time herself,
她是第一次听说
some of this stuff.
我有一个儿子 我独自抚养他成人
I have a son, and I raised him as a single parent.
这个孩子非常懂事
He, as a child, was very understanding.
我们关系就像 如果手头紧的话
We had a relationship where, if money was not available,
我会和他商量 然后共同解决困难
I'd discuss it with him, and we worked it out together.
我一直都得工作 总想保住工作
I always had to work, and I always managed to keep a job,
但很不容易
but it was always a struggle.
时光飞逝 我有好几年没有见到罗宾了
Years passed by and I didn't see Robin for some years,
当我接到她的电♥话♥时
and, um, when she called me,
她告诉我她已经结婚了
she told me she had got married.
我想她现在有人可以照顾她了
I'm thinking maybe now she has somebody that can look out for her
她和杰瑞在一起也很幸福
and she was very happy being with Jerry.
我记得那是1997年
I think it was in '97.
罗宾打电♥话♥来说
Robin had called me and said
她有些事情需要和我商量一下
she had something she wanted to discuss with me,
但我们不能在电♥话♥里谈这件事
but we couldn't talk about it over the phone.
然后杰瑞问我能不能去他们家
So Jerry asked me to come and visit.
他们家在南卡罗来纳州
It was at their home in South Carolina.
查尔斯顿南卡罗来纳州
我对杰瑞·科洛博的第一印象就是
My first impression of Jerry Colombo was that
他是那种非常幽默的人
he was a real-life comedian type guy, you know.
他对我的态度就像我们一直待在一起一样
And he treated me just like I had been around the whole time.
但困扰我的就是
But the thing that bothered me is that
他从来不给我们两个人独处的机会
there was never any time that she and I could be alone,
我们去购物 他也跟着我们去
even when we went shopping, he went shopping with us.
有一天晚上我就说
One night I had just said,
"你能不能让我们单独待会儿
"Can you just leave us alone for a few minutes?
天啊 杰瑞"
Durn, Jerry."
然后他让我们单独待了一会儿
And then he left us alone just for a few minutes,
之后又回来了
and he came back.
我们没机会讨论任何事情
We were not allowed to really discuss anything.
最后他提出了一个提议
Finally he talked to me about a proposition,
对我很有帮助
and it was a proposition that would help me.
他问我
He asked me,
我熟悉麦当劳的游戏贴纸吗
was I familiar with the McDonald's game piece?
我说是的
I said yes.
然后他说
So he said
中奖者是被挑选出来的
people are picked to be winners.
一直都在这样运作
This is how it's always been done.
然后他告诉我
And then he told me that
他会再告知我下一步要做什么
he would let me know what the next step was.
第一次接到这个提议时
When I first got the offer...
我心想
I thought to myself
这是幸福在敲门
that it was a blessing that came knocking at my door.
这是我总去教堂
And you know, I was going to church
总做正确事情的福报
and I was doing-- trying to do the right thing and...
我儿子当时还小
my son was young,
我一年挣大约24000美金
and I was making probably about $24,000 a year, it was just...
扣除税和日常花销之后 所剩无几
By the time taxes and stuff come out, it's really nothing.
我只是想要更好的生活
And I just wanted a better life,
我认为这是我的机会
and I just felt like this was my opportunity.
我说
And I said,
"如果这不是我命中注定的 就不会落到我身上"
"Well, this couldn't come to me if it wasn't meant for me."
我哥哥总喜欢到处开玩笑
My brother was always joking around,
总是逗别人笑 和他在一起总是很快乐
always making people laugh, always having a good time.
无忧无虑的 但是如果你惹他生气
Very lighthearted, uh, but if you pissed him off,
他也会发脾气
then he can have a temper as well.
但他从来不是那种会抓着你
But he never was the type of person who would grab you
威胁你 或者粗暴对待你的人
or, you know, threaten you... or rough you up.
如果他告诉你 你要做什么
You knew if he looked at you
他只需要看你一样
when he told you exactly what he wanted you to do,
你就知道你必须去做
you knew you had to do it.
整个关系都变了
The whole relationship changed.
我不再跟罗宾说话
It got to the point that I didn't talk to Robin anymore,
只跟杰瑞·科洛博交谈
I only talked to Jerry Colombo.
终于 我从他那里得到消息
And I finally got the information from him
我将成为100美元的中奖者
that I was gonna be a $1 million winner
他需要我拿出一部分钱
and that he needed me to come up with some money.
我问他 "为什么"
And I'm asking him, "Why?"
然后他说
Then he said,
"每位得奖者都必须预付一些钱"
"Everybody that wins has to give some upfront money."
我问 "多少钱"
And I'm like, "How much?"
他问我能拿多少
And he asked me how much I could come up with?
我说 "我真的没什么钱"
I said, "I really don't have any money,"
所以他说 "房♥子能卖♥♥钱吗"
so he said, "Can you get money off your house?"
覆水难收 我知道的太多了
Can't back out now. He's told me too much.
我抵押了房♥子来交预付款
I mortgaged my home to get my upfront money.
我的家
我把努力得来的一切都拿去冒险
I put all the stuff I worked hard for on the line
因为我相信这是我的福报
because I believed that this was my blessing.
我在路边和他见了面
I met him on the side of the road
给了他第一笔钱
and gave him my first portion of my money.
感觉身上有什么东西被夺走了一样
It felt like something had just been ripped from me.
在路边约见别人
And, you know, to meet somebody on the side of the road
还一次给这么多现金
and give them cash money, that much at one time...
我这辈子从来没一次性拿过这么多钱
that's more than I ever had in my hand at one time in my life,
我还必须都得给出去
and I just had to give it all away.
感觉我已经把性命交了出去
I just felt that I just had gave my life away
给了一个我不太了解的人
and I'm giving it to somebody I don't know much about.
我能相信这家伙吗
Can I even trust this guy? You know.
在我丈夫运作大富翁骗局之前
Before my husband was working the Monopoly fraud game,
我们有个儿子弗朗西斯科·杰纳罗·科洛博
we had my son, Francesco Gennaro Colombo.
弗朗西斯科·科洛博
杰瑞和罗宾的儿子
跟摄像机打个招呼 弗兰基
Say hi to the camera, Frankie.
嗨 摄像机
Hi, camera!
-再见 摄像机 -再见 摄像机
- Bye, camera. - Bye, camera.
轻点
Easy.
打篮球呢
Basketball.
我有时候真的很开心
I was, at times, really very happy.