我想玩
I want some!
大富翁游戏 只在麦当劳
It's the Monopoly game, only at McDonald's!
奖品数量超过五千万份 这令人十分激动...
With over 50 million prizes, it's supersized excitement...
大富翁游戏 不要经过"起点"
Monopoly. Do not pass "Go."
直接来麦当劳吧
Go directly to McDonald's.
如果你曾生活在90年代
If you were around back in the '90s...
在麦当劳 大富翁不止是游戏
Now at McDonald's, Monopoly is more than a game!
你可以玩...
You can play it...
到处都能听见这个广♥告♥
You heard it everywhere.
大富翁
回归了
大富翁
回归了
大富翁游戏回归麦当劳
The game Monopoly is back at McDonald's,
大富翁游戏
比以前更宏伟 更有趣
bigger and better than ever.
今年的奖项比往年更多
This year, there's more prizes than ever.
麦当劳
麦当劳多年来一直在举办大富翁游戏
McDonald's ran the Monopoly game for years.
收集♥合♥适的游戏贴纸
Hey, collect the right game pieces...
赢取200万美元
And win $2 million.
但是没有人
But no one...
知道这场"游戏"的真♥相♥
knew the truth about the game being played.
没有人
No one.
全国人♥民♥都赢到手软
People everywhere are winning big!
麦当劳的奖品有可能是汽车或游艇
The McDonald's prizes could be cars, boats,
10万到100万美元不等
$100,000 up to the million dollars.
但从1989年到2001年
But from 1989 to 2001...
入口
我赢了一辆道奇蝰蛇
I won a Dodge Viper!
在麦当劳的大富翁游戏中 没有一个人
There were no legitimate winners of
合法地赢得高价值的游戏贴纸
the high value game pieces in the McDonald's Monopoly game.
这也太扯淡了
I mean, how crazy bullshit is that?
5000万
大富翁
回归了
麦百万第一集
杰克逊维尔佛罗里达州
联调局杰克逊维尔分局是出了名的
Jacksonville FBI had a little bit of a reputation
"沉睡谷"退休办公室
of being a Sleepy Hollow retirement office.
联邦调查局
这里的工作节奏很慢
There was a slower attitude there.
规模很小
Very undersized.
远远小于迈阿密或亚特兰大以及其它分局
You know, a fraction of a Miami or an Atlanta or something like that,
克里斯·格雷汉姆前联邦调查局小队负责人
人手也不够
spread, you know-spread very thin.
在2001年
At the time,in 2001,
我负责一支约有12名探员的小队
I supervised a squad of approximately 12 agents
负责调查白领犯罪 银行诈骗
charged with investigating white-collar crime, bank fraud,
医保诈骗 公共腐♥败♥
healthcare fraud, public corruption.
在我去那里工作之前
Even before I got there,
我就常听说这个传奇人物 资深高级探员
I kept hearing about this legendary guy, Rick Dent,
里克·登特以及他的搭档道格·马修斯
mid-career senior agent and his partner Doug Mathews,
他刚被分配到分局
a newly assigned agent to the division.
我是特别探员马修斯
I'm Special Agent Mathews.
如果选择去杰克逊维尔分局工作
When you pull Jacksonville as an office you're going to,
我记得当时所有人都说 "自求多福吧"
I know what I heard was, "Good luck with that."
至于大案子
For big cases, man,
道格·马修斯联邦调查局特别探员
你得把一堆案子"捆在一起"
you are -- you're like duct-taping stuff together
才能变成大案子
just 'cause you wanna make it happen.
我所在的分局正是这样
That's the type of division you were in.
我很幸运能在一开始与里克·登特♥共♥事
I was lucky to link up with Rick Dent early on
有他带着我 做我的培训官
and have him as the old guard, you know, my training agent.
他擅长数学
He's a mathematician and
性格就和这张木头桌子差不多
has about as much personality as this piece of wood right here.
非常实事求是
Very matter of fact.
所以他与我完全相反
And so he and I were kind of opposites there.
因为我是那种寻找乐子的人
You know, I'm always looking for another fun ride, right?
如果你们去采访里克·登特
If you guys get to Rick Dent,
我告诉你 他肯定会
I'm telling you he's gonna be...
"是"
"Yes."
"不"
"No."
"不记得"
"Don't recall."
摄制组多次请求
采访特别探员
里克·登特
他的回答是
"不"
联调局在那个时候的主要任务
The priority for the FBI at that particular juncture
是医保诈骗案
was healthcare fraud.
我们当时调查的案子需要一到三年
We're working a one to three-year type case.
时间很长
That's a long time.
有时 我的注意力会转移到
Sometimes I have that ADD thing
更有意思的东西上
of the shinier object or whatever.
因此我看到了他桌子角落里的字条
So I see this note in the corner part of his desk,
上面写着 "麦当劳的大富翁是个骗局"
and all I saw was "McDonald's Monopoly Fraud?"
后面连着一个问号♥
with a question mark.
然后我想 "这是什么"
And I go, "What is that?"
因为医保诈骗案已经让我无聊透顶了
'Cause I'm bored to death of this healthcare garbage, right?
虽然它很重要 但我想换个案子
It's important, but I was ready to move on.
我问他 "这是麦当劳的大富翁游戏吗"
I go, "Is this the McDonald's Monopoly game?"
他说 "对
He was like, "Yeah.
我终究会找时间去调查这个事情"
Eventually I was gonna get around to it."
他告诉我 有一位知情人打电♥话♥来
So what he told me was that there was an individual who had called in
称大富翁游戏是暗箱操作
and had this story that the Monopoly game was fixed.
基本是这样
That was pretty much it.
我说 "把纸条给我 我来调查清楚"
I go, "Give me that damn thing. I'm gonna go check this out."
我看到了这东西的乐趣
I'm seeing the fun meter with that.
这肯定比我手头的案子要有趣的多
Like, that's gotta be more fun than this shit that I'm looking at.
登特以为这只是在胡说八道
Dent thought it was just some BS story...
所以他说 "好吧 给你
so, "Pfff, this--yeah, here.
去调查一下 年轻人"
Run with this for a little bit, young man."
我联♥系♥了来电的线人
I contacted the source of this call,
线人向我提供了三个名字
and the source gave me three names
他们以前都赢得过上百万奖金
that were previous million-dollar winners
他说 "我知道这是暗箱操作
and said, "I know this is fixed
因为这些人有所关联
because these people are related.
虽然名字不同
They're on the family tree somehow.
但他们是同一家族的"
With all different names."
而背后操控者的真实姓名却无从得知
And the person who's controlling this
只知道他被称为"杰瑞叔叔"
was this nebulous name of Uncle Jerry.
打完电♥话♥ 我非常兴奋
So I come back, like, I'm excited right?
我拿到了有史以来最大的案子
I got the biggest case ever, right?
我说 "看这些百万赢家们
And I said, "Look, all million-dollar winners.
我们得开始调查了
We need to be on this.
去他的医保..." 我好像已经说过了
Screw that health--" I think I probably said that.
"调查你♥妈♥的♥医保案"
"Screw that healthcare shit we're working, right?"
或者说了类似的话
Or something like that.
里克 我不知道当时是不是这样
I don't--Rick, I don't know if that was it,
我知道你永远不会同意这点
or I know you would never agree with that.
但像所有高级探员一样
But like any senior agent goes--
现在局里依然存在这种现象
and this happens even in today's Bureau.
年轻的新人出去调查
The new young guy goes out
找到一块金光闪闪的金子
and finds a nice piece of gold.
老探员会说
The old agent goes,
"给我 我看看怎么回事"
"Give me that back, and let me look at this."
当时就是这样
That's about how it was.
说实话 我持怀疑态度
Truth be told, I was a little skeptical.
快餐 促销游戏诈骗
You know, fast food, promotional game fraud
在任何地方都算不上重要的事
was not making any list of priorities anywhere.
我认为之前
I don't think anybody had really
克里斯·格雷汉姆前联邦调查局小队负责人
没人见过这种事情
even seen anything like this before, so...
开展这种案件的调查总是有风险的
there's always a risk that I turn these guys loose on this,
如果发现这是谣言
and it turns out it's not true
那我就浪费了资源
and that I've expended resources,
但我们都知道
but you know, I think we all realized...
如果消息属实 那就是个大案子
if this is true, this is, you know--this is big.
里克立刻与联邦检察官办公室
What Rick did was immediately get in touch
以及马克·德弗罗取得联♥系♥