这套西装正好像炸薯条一样" 对吗
when it's like a golden fry suit," right?
我穿着这套西装进去之后 马克·德弗罗
Man, when I wore that in there, Mark Devereaux,
恨不得动手把我的衣服扒下来
if he could've ripped it off with his hands, he would have.
他心里想 "你在逗我吗"
He goes, "Are you kidding me?"
但我穿了件白衬衫
But I had a white shirt on, right?
所以我认为我是安全的
So I thought I was safe.
实则不然
I wasn't.
道格穿了件奇怪的衣服 坐在那里
Doug has quite a wardrobe, and there he is sitting there.
天哪 他看起来
And lo and behold, he looks like
就像是麦当劳的经理
he's a manager of a McDonald's.
他们觉得这挺酷的
They thought it was cool.
我开玩笑的
I'm kidding.
那场会议气氛十分紧张
So when you're there in that meeting, very tense.
我走到白板前开始写名字
I went up to a whiteboard and started putting names down.
然后我问 "你们认识这些名字吗"
And I asked, "Do you recognize the names?"
"不认识 长官"
"No, sir."
"这些人全是
"All these people
你们促销游戏的赢家”
are winners on your promotional games."
然后我开始画线
And then I started drawing lines
把家庭关系和亲属关系连接起来
of family connections and relationships.
德弗罗把关系写在白板上
Devereaux's putting it right on the whiteboard there.
"你知道这个吗 知道这个吗"
"Well, did you know this? Do you know this?"
兄弟 姐妹 表亲
Brothers, sisters, cousins,
母女关系之类的
a mother-daughter, that type thing.
这个人娶了这个人的女儿
This person is married to this person's daughter.
名字和姓氏都是不同的
And the names, the last names, were all different.
我记得他们当时大吃一惊
And I remember it was literally jaws on the table.
他们不敢相信
They just could not believe it.
尽管我们让
Even though we had, it looked like,
受害的麦当劳公♥司♥代表来到这里
our corporate victim here of McDonald's,
但他们真的是受害者吗
are they truly a victim?
这种事情层出不穷
I mean, there's always that.
要是我的话
And so, there was more information there
都不会给他们提供这么多信息
than I would've probably put out there.
这足以让他们意识到
Certainly enough for them to see,
"我们有麻烦了"
"Wow, yeah, we have an issue."
大家都同意我们要把
Everybody agreed that we needed to keep this circle
知道这件事的人数控制到最低
of individuals that had this knowledge to the absolute minimum.
德弗罗和往常一样主导这场谈话
You know, Devereaux was doing most the talking as he usually does,
看起来这场会议永远也结束不了
and it just seemed like this meeting just took forever.
我都不知道我饿没饿
I don't even know if I was hungry;
我可能在已经饿了两次了
I might've been hungry twice in that meeting.
从以前的案子上来看
Proving this case historically,
我们通常处理白领犯罪案
which is what we traditionally did in white-collar cases
要依赖文书工作
when you rely on paperwork,
依赖证人的口供
you rely on witness interviews,
依赖银行流水 这些工作很困难
you rely on bank statements, was gonna be very difficult.
非常繁琐
I mean, almost monumental.
所以在这个案子里 我们必须跳出思维定式
So we would, in this case, have to think outside the box.
然后我们发现他们正准备运营另一个游戏
And then we find out that they were on the cusp of running another game.
这真是天赐良机
It was kind of a perfect fit
因为我们正想主动出击
because we were looking to doing something proactively,
把对方逮个正着
essentially catch people in the act.
我们告诉他们
We told them
唯一能找出这个犯罪团伙的方法就是
the only way to identify this criminal enterprise was
让他们在知晓有人从中作梗的前提下
to have them run a game knowing that there's fraud
运营一个游戏
somewhere involved in this.
如此一来我们就能取得进展
We have this. We're going forward.
我们需要你们的帮助
We want your help.
如果他们拒绝的话
If the answer is no...
什么事也不会发生
nothing happens.
芝加哥伊利诺伊州
我叫罗伯·霍尔姆
My name is Rob Holm,
麦当劳全球安全主管
Director of Global Security for McDonald's.
我们的品牌遍及世界各地
Our brand is, throughout the world,
在120多个国家里有超过37000家店
37,000 restaurants in 120 countries.
罗伯·霍尔姆麦当劳全球安全主管
所以我的责任重大
So it's--it's a big responsibility.
当我得知我们的大富翁游戏
When I first learned about our Monopoly game
被人操纵时 我很震惊
being compromised, I was shocked.
我彻底震惊了
I was utterly shocked.
这到底是怎么做到的
How in the world could this have happened?
更重要的是 有麦当劳的员工参与其中吗
More importantly, was anybody from McDonald's a part of this?
联调局想让我们在得知其被人操控的情况下
The FBI wanted to run the promotion
继续运营这个游戏
knowing that it was rigged.
我很犹豫
I was hesitant to do that,
我担心如果这个游戏被人操控了
obviously concerned that if this game is rigged,
顾客就完全没有机会赢得百万美元
customers are not even gonna get a chance to win the million dollars.
我们天真地以为他们会
I think we were naive to think that they would
克里斯·格雷汉姆前联邦调查局小队负责人
同意我们的提议 然后
agree right then and there and, you know, we'd be off to,
我们就可以开展工作
you know, off--off and running.
这些促销活动
These promotions were...
是麦当劳的众多亮点之一
of everything McDonald's, one of the bright spots.
我记得当时的疯牛病事件
You know, I remember the mad cow, and at that time,
麦当劳绝对不用英国牛肉
麦当劳当时
McDonald's was,
拼命维护公众形象
you know, struggling with some image things.
对于英国疯牛病的担忧
Concern over Britain's so-called mad cow disease
今日蔓延到了麦当劳的餐厅中
spread late today to McDonald's restaurants.
首先是疯牛病 现在是这个
First mad cow, now this.
?麦当劳和您?
? McDonald's and you ?
?麦当劳和您 共享美好时光?
? McDonald's and you, sharing good times ?
对于麦当劳来说 最重要的是品牌形象
The most important thing for McDonald's is their brand name.
他们是值得信赖的家庭餐厅
They're a family restaurant that can be trusted.
"金拱门"商标已经成了美国文化的一部分
Their golden arches are a part of America.
?麦当劳是独一无二的?
? Remember there's only one McDonald's ?
?就如你是唯一的一样?
? And there's only one you ?
他们必须保护口碑
They have to protect that.
?麦当劳和您?
? McDonald's and you ?
如果整点新闻或是国家新闻
And so, if it's on the 6:00 news and the national news
报道麦当劳的游戏是一场骗局
that McDonald's games are a fraud,
他们的声誉会受到无法弥补的损失
they could suffer irreparable damage to their good name.
麦当劳广场
我当时并未参会
I wasn't in their meetings,
但我敢打赌
but I would bet dollars to doughnuts
其中有一些人会说
that there were a few people that said,
"我们不能这样 把活动终止吧"
"We can't do this. Shut it off,"
没人会发现这次事件
and nobody ever finds out about this.
他们想召开一场大型会议
They wanted this big meeting.
于是我们前往伊利诺伊州
And so we went out there to Illinois,
他们的总部在那里
at their headquarters.
里面有...
They got, like, this...
上好的咖啡
great coffee inside to--
走进他们的大楼之后
you know, when you walk in their place
就能喝到咖啡
and you're waiting on them.
这是题外话
So anyway, I know that's a--aside.
在那时 我们不确定
And at that time, we weren't sure
他们接下来打算怎么做
which way they were gonna go.
这个决定很艰难
That was a heck of a decision.
这件事有太多的"如果"
There were so many "what ifs."
如果是我们公♥司♥的人呢
What if it's somebody within our own company?
某个叛徒
A traitor?
那就麻烦了
We've got a problem.
他们要找出罪魁祸首
They needed to find that out,
因为即便他们终止活动
because if they had just shut down,
类似事件可能还在继续
it may have continued.
有多少人在参与这场游戏
Look, how many people been playing this thing?
如果我们不帮他们解决 人们都会发现
And they're gonna find out we didn't help burn this down.
麦当劳知道他们有一颗定时炸♥弹♥
McDonald's knew they had a ticking bomb.
我们很严肃地做出了这个决定
Making that call was something that we took seriously.
一直很担心这件事会泄露给公众
Our worry all along was that this could be leaked out publically.
因此这是个很艰难的决定