So it was not an easy decision,
但我们有义务为顾客做正确的事情
but ultimately, we owed it to our customers to do the right thing,
那就是再运营一场游戏活动
which is to run the game one more time.
我们知道如果这次搞砸的话
We absolutely knew that if we didn't get this right,
我们没有第二次机会
we're not getting another opportunity.
这不像是 "别担心
It's not like, "Don't worry.
我们下个月再推出一款游戏"
We'll run this again next month."
我们知道要想推进调查
We knew that, at best, we had this one shot
只有这一次机会
to move our investigation.
?这就是我们的行事方式?
? This is how we do it ?
在当时 我们的确想问
From that point, it was literally,
"麦当劳 告诉我们这个项目是如何运作的"
"McDonald's, tell us how this program works."
但麦当劳做薯条
But McDonald's makes French fries
汉堡 奶昔和苹果派
and hamburgers and milkshakes and apple pies.
他们不做营销
They don't make marketing.
而是外包出去了
They outsourced it.
他们雇了一家营销企业 名叫西蒙营销
They hired a marketing company, Simon Marketing.
西蒙营销公♥司♥
点子世界
?这就是我们的行事方式?
? This is how we do it ?
西蒙营销在上世纪80年代
Simon Marketing actually produced and came up with
创造出开心乐园餐玩具
the Happy Meal toys back in the '80s.
你的孩子一定会喜欢麦当劳的开心乐园餐
Your kids will love McDonald's Happy Meal.
美食和快乐尽在一个盒子里
It's food and fun in a box.
开心乐园餐会增加生意
The Happy Meal is gonna increase your business,
但这是给孩子们准备的
but it's for the children.
我吃到了开心乐园餐
I've got a Happy Meal!
他们想向成年人推销
They wanted a promotion for the adult.
?像麦当劳一样?
? Like McDonald's can ?
我叫理查德·怀特
I'm Richard White,
理查德·怀特西蒙营销
在1981年加入西蒙营销
started at Simon Marketing in 1981.
大富翁游戏来到了麦当劳
The game Monopoly has come to life at McDonald's.
大富翁游戏是我们设计的
The Monopoly game, we designed that game
每年运营一次
and it was running once a year.
200万美金的大奖
A $2 million grand prize!
来玩大富翁
Play Monopoly.
麦当劳市场的增长幅度令人难以想象
It was a ridiculous amount of increase in McDonald's business.
游戏运营期间增加了40%
Like, 40% when we ran the game.
人们喜欢收集
People love collecting.
大富翁促销游戏和
The Monopoly promotion is much like
你在家里玩的"大富翁"游戏很像
the "Monopoly" game you would have at home.
顾客要匹配游戏贴纸
Customers try to match game pieces,
比如木板桥和停车场
like Boardwalk and Park Place.
他们有自己的卡片 要填满整个棋盘
They had their cards, and it'd be full,
但他们会少许多块
but they'd be missing a piece and a piece and a piece...
哪里都会缺
and a piece and a piece--
因为这些是赢奖贴纸
'cause those were the winning pieces.
那些低价值的贴纸
And there was low-value pieces that
你可以获得食物 饮料
you could win food items, beverages,
有一些高价值的贴纸
and then some of the high-value pieces:
房♥子 车 上百万美元
homes, vehicles, and the million dollars.
木板桥
Boardwalk.
木板桥
Boardwalk?
所以他们都想当百万美元的赢家
So they were after that million-dollar winner.
来麦当劳玩大富翁游戏
人们喜欢拼人品的游戏
You know, people like chance games.
谁想当百万富翁
我们给麦当劳设计的所有游戏
Any game we did for McDonald's
都能增加他们的营业额
always increased their business.
每张卡上都有现金
有一年我们推出了拼字游戏
We actually did Scrabble one year.
然后他们就开始一年开展两次
Got to where they started doing it twice a year.
我们怎么才能让营业额恢复呢
How are we gonna get our sales back up?
再来一次大富翁
Let's run Monopoly again.
大富翁游戏从周四开始
赢奖从周四开始
如何获得游戏贴纸
There were very specific rules
有着特别详细的规则
for how you could obtain the game piece.
速胜赢家
25000现金
一种方法是直接走进店里
One of the ways was that you could just walk in
麦当劳大富翁游戏
向我要一张游戏贴纸
要一张免费的游戏贴纸
and ask, for free, to get a game piece.
因为其他方法都是在赌
Because otherwise it was gambling.
你还能怎样得到游戏贴纸
How else can you get the game piece?
你可以走进店里买♥♥食物
You could go in and buy a food product,
你也可以从杂♥志♥上获得游戏贴纸
and you could get the game piece out of some of the magazines.
但游戏规则上可没说
Nowhere in the game rules does it say,
"我可以从杰瑞叔叔手里得到一张"
"I can get a game piece from Uncle Jerry."
杰瑞叔叔
一个重要的案子
With a significant case,
卧底行动或是牵扯许多人的行动
an undercover operation or something that involves a lot of people,
可以起个名字
you could give it a name.
所以我们发起了在队内
So we had a contest to come up with a name
起名字的比赛
among--among the squad.
有些名字是
Some of the names, uh...
不开心乐园餐行动 足弓下陷
Operation Unhappy Meal, Fallen Arches.
我记得有些叫"汉堡大盗"
I think there were a few playing on the Hamburglar,
有些叫"皮了的薯条"
something about Stale Fries.
我觉得我们不能把这些名字送到总部去审核
I don't think we sent that one up to headquarters for approval.
我认为冷静理性的思想起到了关键性作用
I think calmer, more rational minds prevailed.
最新的促销游戏名叫
The new promotional game was called,
"谁想成为百万富翁"
"Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?"
来呼应当时的一档电视节目
to match up with the TV show.
来麦当劳玩"谁想成为百万富翁"游戏吧
Play the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" game at McDonald's.
谁想成为百万富翁
如果你记得那个电视节目 里面会问
If you remember the TV show, they asked,
"这是你的最终答案吗"
"Is that your final answer?"
-最终答案吗 -最终答案
- Final answer? - Final answer.
所以最后这次行动以此为代号♥
So that ultimately became the name of this operation.
游戏时间到了
Game time.
游戏开始 我们身处其中
Kickoff has started, and we're in the game.
最终答案行动
杰瑞叔叔
当时 我一直在找卧底调查的切入点
At the time, I was always looking for an undercover angle,
尽管别人一直告诉我
even though I was being told,
"这样做不行 你不会想这么做的"
"You don't want that. You don't want that."
我总是在问
You know, I was always asking,
"这个切入点如何 这个呢"
"What about this one? What about this one?"
这是为了抓坏人 对吧
Go get the bad guy, right?
我想捣毁这个犯罪团伙
I wanna burn down the criminal enterprise.
或许是因为他有当会计的潜质
Maybe it's the-the accountant in him
或是他有沃尔特·米蒂情结[白日做梦]or this Walter Mitty complex,
但这是一个当卧底探员的机会
but this was the opportunity to, you know, be an undercover agent
甚至在我们确定是否需要卧底之前
even before we could articulate the need
他就想当一名卧底
to do any kind of undercover-that there was always this,
然后不知怎的
you know, somehow, some way,
这次行动我们要卧底调查了
we gotta do an undercover in this thing.
每一次会议 我都在提议
Every single meeting, I'm the one over there going,
"卧底调查吧 卧底调查吧"
"Undercover investigation, undercover investigation."
我觉得没人听我说话
I didn't think anybody was listening.
事实上 我觉得有几个人心里想
As a matter of fact, I think a couple of them started out with,
"马修斯 我不想再听到
"Mathews, I don't wanna hear anything
任何有关卧底调查的事了
about an undercover investigation.
坐在那儿听着就行了"
Just sit over there and listen."
90年代著名喜剧《宋飞正传》的人物 宋飞多年的好友
里克总把我比作乔治·科斯坦萨Rick always coined that I was the George Costanza
因为《宋飞正传》当时很火
'cause "Seinfeld" was big back then.
好 我觉得可以
All right, that's it for me.
大家保重
Take care, everybody.
我进来 说完"卧底"之后就离开
I'd come in and I'd say, "undercover", and I'm gone, I was out.
你可以让他干一会儿他想干的
You could kind of let him run with things a little bit
然后把他拉回到现实里来
and then bring him back to reality.
"不错 道格
"Okay, Yeah, that's great, Doug.
对了 我还需要你的汇总表格
By the way, I still need that FD-302 you promised me,
要不你先去把表格写完
so why don't you go get that done,
然后我们再说卧底的事
and then we'll talk about undercover work."
我们接到麦当劳的电♥话♥
So we get the call from McDonald's that this guy,