with the U.S. Attorney's Office and Mark Devereaux,
如果检察官对案子不感兴趣
'cause if you don't have an interest from a prosecutor,
那你就是在浪费时间
you're wasting your time.
德弗罗是我们要找的人
Devereaux was the go-to guy
所有白领犯罪案都由他提起公诉
that prosecuted all of our white-collar stuff.
如果这个案子有机会被提起公诉
If there's a chance this thing can be indicted,
即便案情复杂 调查困难
prosecuted, even if it's a difficult case,
他也可以办到
he's gonna be the guy to do it
美国司法部
本证是为了证明
马克·B·德弗罗
是一位
佛罗里达地区的
助理联邦检察官
因为他是负责的人
because he's the guy behind the wheel.
司法部
联邦检察官
说服检察官的这部分
That part of the sell, to get that prosecutor on was--
是最重要的
that was a big deal.
我不知道德弗罗是否知道什么是大富翁游戏
I don't know if Devereaux knew what Monopoly game was.
我不知道
I have no idea.
我感觉他更喜欢吃汉堡王
You know, I think he was a Burger King guy.
我不知道
I don't know.
我叫马克·德弗罗 助理联邦检察官
My name's Mark Devereaux, Assistant U.S. Attorney
马克·德弗罗助理联邦检察官
已经当了快30年了
for almost 30 years.
在本案中
In this case, it was, you know,
我不知道这是不是真的 也不知道
I don't know if this is real, or don't know
是不是有人想让他们的家庭成员接受采访
if it's just somebody trying to get family members somehow interviewed
给他们找麻烦
and get 'em in trouble.
但令人惊讶的是
But lo and behold...
当我们收到全部得奖者的名单时
when we received a list of all the winners,
我们通过许多数据库发现
we were able to show, through different databases,
这些人彼此有所关联
that these individuals were related.
他们在杰克逊维尔地区都有亲属
They had family connections in the local Jacksonville area.
在我的认知里
In my world,
人们不太相信巧合
you don't believe in coincidences very much.
而且许多亲属同时得奖的概率
And the chance of having numerous family members and relatives
微乎其微
win the game was just astronomical.
中奖概率
两名亲属中奖概率
三名亲属中奖概率
简而言之
Basically,
中奖的概率比在佛罗里达
you've got less of a chance than you do
被闪电击中的概率还低
of getting struck by lightning in Florida.
在那时 我们就肯定这事有蹊跷了
At that point in time, we knew there was a problem.
问题有多严重 我们不知道
How big was that problem? We had no idea.
我们收集到的信息是
The information that we were compiling
揭开中奖
他们的游戏早在我们发现的几年之前就被♥操♥纵了
is that their contest had been infected years before we became aware.
这案子涉及到的
I mean, we're talking, you know, altogether,
奖品总金额高达数亿美元
potentially hundreds of millions of dollars of these prizes.
有多少是骗局呢
Well, how much of that is fraud?
只要德弗罗说 "我对这个感兴趣"
Once Devereaux said, "Yeah, I'm interested in this,"
他就会全程参与
he's on for everything.
所有的策略探讨会
All the strategy sessions.
有的检察官 你和他有距离感
Some prosecutors, you see that space, you know.
德弗罗 你们之间没有距离
Devereaux, you got no space.
他会与你同在
Right all up in there with you.
获得途径
饮料杯
薯条盒
我们的切入点是
So we start with
哪里可以有机会偷到游戏贴纸
where could there be the opportunity to steal the game piece?
超过50位获奖者
奖金有几百万
奖品
汽车
船
旅行
现金
我们不知道是不是麦当劳的内部员工搞的鬼
We weren't sure if there was somebody inside with McDonald's,
这个人在哪里 有几个人 做到了哪一步
where that person was, how many, and how far that went.
有多少嫌犯
How many suspects do we have?
我们需要知道谁生产饮料杯
We have to figure out who makes the cups,
谁生产薯条盒
who makes the fry box,
谁生产顾客揭下来的游戏贴纸
who makes these game pieces that you would pull off--
整条生产链涉及多少人
how many people are in this chain?
有各种各样的可能
There's all kinds of possibilities.
可能是司机 送货员
This could be the driver, the delivery people,
工厂里的工人 甚至可能是
people in the factory, or even,
麦当劳公♥司♥的人
you know, somebody in corporate at McDonald's.
哪一种食品
巨无霸
大薯条
大饮料
我们没有排除掉任何人
We didn't close out anyone.
谁可能偷走这些
游戏何时开始的
那个时候我们遇到了许多问题
So there reached a point where there was a ton of questions,
但如果不采取任何行动的话
but it was, I mean, very difficult
进一步调查可能会非常艰难
to pursue that further without putting some action to it.
那时候的网络还不发达
There wasn't a lot of, like, let me just, you know,
在那个时候要上网搜集一些信息
at the time get on the Internet and do something,
是非常困难的事
there wasn't a lot of that.
我们需要一个切入点
We clearly had to start somewhere,
但不能泄露调查的细节
but without compromising the case.
所以我们需要内部的信息来源
So we needed a source of information on the inside.
我们要做出十分重大的决定 那就是
There was a big decision to be made, and that was:
要不要联♥系♥麦当劳
do we contact McDonald's?
因为我们走进了死胡同
Because we just ran into a dead end.
要不要联♥系♥麦当劳
我坐在后面说 "别告诉他们
I was sitting back going, "Don't let 'em know.
我还不想让他们牵扯进来 为时过早"
I don't want them involved yet. Way too soon."
但这只是我的意见
But that's me. And I was--
我的话分量很轻 底气也不足
that was just one little tiny voice, and I mean tiny when I say that.
麦当劳公♥司♥
当然 麦当劳的某个员工
Of course there's a possibility that
参与或了解此事 并且视而不见
somebody in McDonald's is involved or knows about this
这也是有可能的
and is looking the other way,
但我们愿意冒这个险
but that was a risk we were willing to,
因为我们别无他法
you know, ultimately willing to take.
我们不想惊动太多麦当劳的员工
We didn't want to alert too many people at McDonald's,
马克·德弗罗助理联邦检察官
所以我们联♥系♥了他们的全球安全主管
so we contacted their head of global security,
罗伯·霍尔姆 并告诉他
Rob Holm, and told him that,
"你最好来一趟杰克逊维尔"
"It would probably be best for you to come to Jacksonville."
没有告诉他原因
Didn't tell him why.
只是告诉他 "你必须来见我们"
Just told him, "You have to come and see us."
你只需要知道这么多
That this was need-to-know only.
别告诉任何人你要来联调局
Do not tell anybody you're coming to see the FBI,
琼斯
要低调行事
to keep it quiet.
尤因
麦当劳公♥司♥派了三个人来
McDonald's sent three people
罗伯·霍尔姆
我亲自去杰克逊维尔接的他们
and I personally picked them up here in Jacksonville,
当天早上我们开车去了联调局办公室
and we drove over to the FBI office in the morning.
聊天内容都是 "欢迎来到杰克逊维尔"这种话
Mostly it was just, "Welcome to Jacksonville," this and that.
甚至没向他们介绍我们掌握的情况
Didn't even explain to them what we had.
我们到了联调局办公室
We got to the FBI office...
把他们带到了会议室
Took 'em up to the conference room...
联邦调查局佛罗里达中区分局
联邦调查局佛罗里达中区分局
我们会观察他们的肢体语言
You know, you're evaluating their body language
看他们有没有颤抖
or whether they're twitching.
他们诚实吗 正规吗
Are they genuine? Are they legitimate?
或者还有别的问题吗
Or is there--you know, is there something else going on here?
那时 我们并不知道麦当劳公♥司♥是否参与其中
At that point, we did not know if McDonald's was involved.
每个机构都有害群之马
Every organization can have a bad apple.
这部分调查对我来说极其无聊
This part of the investigation was extremely boring to me.
我一点也不想参与其中
Like, I don't want anything to do with this.
"结束后叫我 里克" 好吗
"Call me when it's over, Rick," Right?
这就是我一贯的做事风格
And -- which was sort of my M.O. a lot of times.
对我来说太慢了
It's way too slow for me,
但我对自己说 "不 这事你得去"
but I was--"No, you gotta be here for that."
然后我穿了件金色西装就去了
And so I think I showed up. I might've had a gold suit on.
我衣橱里就有一件
I had it in the closet,
我觉得 "这是个好机会
and I thought, "This is a great opportunity,