这只是生意 他们有…
it was just business. And they had...
操
Fuck.
♪ Stay, hold tight ♪
♪ Hold tight ♪
♪ Don't let this moment fade away ♪
♪ Hold tight. ♪
嘿 等等 - 怎么…
Hey, hey, hey. Wait, wait. - What's the matter?
我们不能分成几波走
We can't split the pole. Can't split the pole.
来吧 朋友们 - 你们懂的
Now come on. No, come on, we can't split the pole.
你之前不知道吗 - 晦气
This new to you? - Huddle up.
这样不吉利
Be unlucky.
我们走 来吧
Let's go. Come on.
全体起立
All rise, all rise.
根据休庭令 法庭现在开庭
The court is now in session, pursuant to the adjournment.
听着
Hear ye, hear ye.
所有与本庭有关联的人
All persons having business with this honorable court,
请靠近注意听我说
draw near. Give your attention and you shall be heard.
本庭由密西西比海因兹县 第一司法区巡回法官
The Honorable Judge James E. Graves, circuit county judge
尊敬的詹姆斯E格雷夫斯法官主持
for the First Judicial District of Hinds County, Mississippi, presiding.
陪审团的女士们和先生们 你们还好吗
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury... How y'all doing?
非常感谢你们的到来
Thank you for being here.
这场官司其实关乎人类已知的 最古老的罪恶
This case here is really about the oldest sin known to man.
合同 简单明了
Contracts. Plain and simple.
加里先生 会让你们相信这场官司是关于…
Now, Mr. Gary would have you believe that this case is about...
贪婪 - 这听起来很有趣
Greed. - And while that sounds,
也有点戏剧化…
uh, entertaining and a bit dramatic...
我们知道这笔交易 已经获得了洛温集团
We know for a fact that the deal had already been approved
和其董事会的批准
by Loewen and his board.
他们精心设计了每一个细节 拟好了要点 并将其写了下来
They crafted every single aspect, outlined it, and put it down in writing.
那是一份合同
That's a contract.
如果合同双方有一方没签字
How can it be a binding contract between two parties
那这份合同怎么会有约束力呢
if one of the parties didn't sign the contract?
各位 这些人撒谎了
Y'all, these people lie.
归结起来就是这样
That's what it boils down to.
那么奥基夫先生为何如此恐慌
So why did Mr. O'Keefe have such a-a-a panic,
如此着急
such an urgency,
如此迫切地想完成这笔交易呢
such a desperation for this deal to close?
为什么
Why?
因为他生活中的一切 都取决于他的交易
Well, because everything in his life hinged on this deal.
一切
Everything.
对于洛温集团而言 情况并非如此
For the Loewen Group, not so much.
他们心中只有一个目标
They had one goal in mind.
拖住他
Stall him out.
拖住他
Stall him out.
这并非针对他个人 他只是不耐烦了
It wasn't personal. He just got impatient.
事实上 有一种情况
In fact, there is such a thing
叫预期违约
uh, as an anticipatory breach of contract.
即实际违约行为尚未发生
And this is when, though the actual breach has not yet occurred,
其中一方
one of the involved parties,
迄今为止被称为即将违约方
heretofore referred to as the "soon to be breaching party,"
将不履行
will not fulfill their obligations
协议条款规定的义务
set forth by the terms of the agreement.
当出现这种情况时
When a situation like this arises,
我认为
it is my opinion that...
这完全属于本合同的争议范围
...it is well within the means of dispute for this contract.
快给我醒醒 - 天啊
Wake your ass up! - Jesus Christ.
醒醒
Wake up!
我们在干什么 我们每天
What are we doing? We sit up in these books,
坐在这些书本面前讨论合同 为了什么
talking about contracts every single day. For what?
我们让他们昏昏欲睡
We putting 'em to sleep.
我们失去了联♥系♥ 失去了优势
We done lost our connection, lost our edge.
我从你们身上得到了什么 什么都没有
And what do I get from y'all? Nothing.
我必须做出决定
I gotta make the decision.
我要让杰里出庭作证
I'm-a put Jerry on.
不行 - 是的
No, no, no. - You can't do that.
- 让他出庭作证 没错 - 别那么做
我要让他下周出庭 - 不行
WILLIE: We put him on next week. - (overlapping arguing)
你们聋了吗 我要让他出庭作证
WILLIE: You hard of hearing? I'm putting him on.
我们得做出根本性改变 他是个很好的证人
We got to shake it up. And plus, he's a great witness.
你自己说的 他是个好证人
You said it yourself. He's a good witness,
他很诚实 是个顾家的男人
he's honest, he's-he's-he's, he's a family man,
是战争英雄
he's-he's a war hero.
公民权利 他为黑人所做的一切
To civil-civil rights. Everything he did for Black folk?
他会在陪审团面前作证
We put him in front of that jury, he gonna play 'em.
现在让杰里出庭作证还为时尚早
MIKE: It is much too soon to put Jerry on the stand.
太早了 我们掌握的信息不足
It's much too early in the trial. We don't have all the information yet.
迈克 对我来说永远不嫌早 我这儿就没有“为时尚早”这说法
It ain't never too soon with me, Mike. It's never too soon with me.
我们还对那位马梅一无所知
We know nothing about Mame yet.
我们只看过她盘问技术证人
We've only seen her interview, what, technical witnesses?
我们对她真正的 交叉询问风格一无所知
We know nothing about her real cross-examination style.
也不知道她到底有多危险
Nor know how actually dangerous she is.
我真不知道原来你们蠢得离谱
Y'all don't know y'all ass from a hole in the ground.
现在我做了一个决定
Now I made the decision.
要么按我说的做 要么就滚蛋
You can either get on board or you can get the fuck out.
我们谈谈你的一些价值观
Let's talk about some of your values.
因为如果我没记错的话 杰里 你是个英雄 获得过八次勋章
Because, if I'm not mistaken, Jerry, you an eight-time decorated hero.
你获得过空军勋章、海军勋章 还有飞行十字勋章
You got the Air Medal, the Navy Medal. You got the, you got the Flying Cross.
你所做的这一切
And you did all of that
都是为你的祖国做出的牺牲
in the sacrifice for your country.
我觉得战争没什么好庆祝的
Well, I don't think war's anything to be celebrated.
但我确实为我的国家服过役 而且非常骄傲
But I did serve my country and quite proudly.
谢谢你的服役
Hmm. Thank you for your service.
但你并没有停止步伐
But you didn't stop there.
你回到自己的家乡 接手了家族企业
You came back to your county, you took over the family business,
然后你做了我称之为 跳出油锅却掉进火坑的事
and then, uh, you did what I call you jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire, man.
你想从政
You wanted to be in politics, didn't you?
你在你的家乡比洛克西竞选了市长
You ran for mayor in your home town in Biloxi.
我参加了两次竞选 在1974年到1982年期间
I ran twice and served two terms as mayor,
担任了两届市长
from 1974 until 1982.
据我所知 在其中一届任期里
And I understand, in one of those terms,
一群非常“友好”的人去拜访了你
that a very friendly group of people came to visit you.
三K党
The Ku Klux Klan.
反对 法官大人
Objection, Your Honor.
这一系列问题与本合同案…
What is the relevance to this line of questioning?
反对无效 唐斯女士 - …有何关联 法官大人
Overruled, Ms. Downes. - MAME: We are in a case about contracts, Your Honor.
你可以回答那个问题
You may answer that question.
我拒绝给他们在比洛克西示♥威♥的许可
I denied them a permit to demonstrate in Biloxi.
你在密西西比州比洛克西 拒绝了三K党
You told the Ku Klux Klan in Biloxi, Mississippi, "No."
驾驶战机是一回事
Now, flying warplanes is one thing,
但拒绝当时的三K党 那是另一种勇敢行为
but to tell the Klan "no" at that time, that's a different type of bravery.
杰里 我有机会认识你
Jerry, I've gotten an opportunity to know you.
你和你的家人
You and your family.
但这里的好人没机会了解
But these good folks here have not.
我只想问你 你的价值观是什么
I just want to ask you, what are your values?
对你来说重要的是什么
What is important to you?
奥基夫先生
Mr. O'Keefe.
日安 你好吗
Good day. How are you?
我很好 谢谢
JEREMIAH: I'm doing well, thank you.
那太好了
You are? Good.
刚听了你给出的证词
having just listened to the testimony you gave,
我认为可以说 你的证词关注的是你的个人品行
I think it's fair to say that the real, material substance centered on character.
你同意吗
Would you agree?
我同意
Yes. I-I agree.
我听不见 你能大声点吗
I couldn't hear that. Can you speak up?
我说是的 女士 我同意
I said yes, ma'am, I agree.
好的 品行
MAME: Okay, character.
我们来聊聊品行
Let's talk about character.
总的来说 这里是在暗示
The overall insinuation being made is that,
你是个有荣誉感
while you are a man of honor,
很有道德原则的人
of strong moral principles,
根据你的说法 我的当事人并非如此
according to you, my client is not.
我认为洛温先生和我在生意场上
I think Mr. Loewen and I have very different approaches to...
与人打交道的方式相差甚远
电影精选列表