I took out a third mortgage on this house.
但我已经做了一切我能做的事
怎么样 - 我现在有点头绪了
How you doing?
告诉我 威利
Tell me, Willie
你怎么会成为一名律师
how'd you wind up being a lawyer?
这要看情况 你想听长篇大论还是短故事
Well, that depends. You want the, um, long or the short story?
随你
That's up to you.
当我还是个年轻的丈夫
Well, when I was a young husband,
年轻的父亲时 我和我的妻子有点钱
young father, me and my wife, we had, you know, we had a little money,
所以我们开了一家小型景观设计公♥司♥
so we had a little landscaping business.
真的很不错
Real nice, too.
我们把各种庭院弄得非常漂亮
You know, kept-kept all the yards...fantastic.
但后来我妻子说 “我想搬到更大的地方去”
But then my wife was like, "You know what? I want to move into a bigger place."
我说:“好吧 那我们就搬吧”
I said, "Well, all right. Let's do that, then."
所以我拿着报纸 看到了一个广♥告♥
And so... ...got the paper, saw this ad.
三居室公♥寓♥ 真的很不错
Three-bedroom apartment, man. Real nice.
是在白人社区的一栋漂亮的新大楼
Uh, nice new complex. Over there in a white neighborhood at, uh,
在雨树
Raintree.
我说:“这就是我们需要的”
So I said, "Yeah, that's what, that's what we need."
我给房♥主打电♥话♥说:“兄弟
So I called the owner, I said, "Hey, man."
“我和我的家人在找新住处
"Me and my family are looking for a new place.
“我们搬去你那地方”
We want to come to where you are."
我说:“你们有空屋子吗 ”
I said, "Do you have any vacancies?"
他说:“有 我有很多空房♥
And he says, "Uh, yeah. Yeah, I got plenty of vacancies, you know?"
“事实上 等月底
"Matter of fact, uh, at the end of the month,
“你就可以搬进来 签订租约”
you can move in. Get your lease."
我们都很期待那一天的到来
We all looking forward to that day, man.
我们非常兴奋 把它当作全新的开始
I mean, we just excited. You know, just brand-new beginnings, if you would.
所以当那一天到来时 我们所有人都上了车
So when the day comes, I pack everybody in the car.
我载着孩子和老婆去那里 我甚至还带着狗狗去了
I got the-the-the, the boys in there,I got my-my wife, I even got my dog in there, man.
我们都很开心
And we just happy, man. We happy.
我们听着福音音乐
Uh, and we listening to gospel music.
边听边唱 精力充足
You know, singing, rocking and rolling.
但我们到达时
But, um...when we get there,
那个人出来
guy comes out.
我说:“你好吗 ” 他说:“什么事 ”
I said, "How you doing?" He barely speaks. He says, "What do you need?"
我说:“我就是 打电♥话♥问你有没有空屋子的那个”
I said, "I'm the one that, uh, called you about the vacancies."
他说:“什么空屋子 ”
He said, "What vacancies?"
我说:“我是威利加里 打电♥话♥问你有没有空屋子的那个”
I said, "I'm Willie Gary. I called you about the... the vacancies."
他说:“没有空屋子了”
He says, "Oh. We don't have no more vacancies."
你做了什么
What'd you do?
告诉你我当时想干什么
Tell you what I wanted to do.
我想伤害他
Wanted to hurt him.
他竟敢在我的孩子们面前 那么不尊重我
I mean... disrespecting me like that in front of my boys, man.
孩子们都很崇拜我的
My boys look up to me.
我是他们的一切 我怎么跟他们说
I'm their everything. What-what do I tell 'em?
说他们的爸爸不够好 都不能住进公♥寓♥
That... they daddy ain't good enough to be in an apartment?
我怎么跟我的老婆交待
What I tell my queen?
说我们不够好
That we not good enough?
但我当时没有表现出来
But I didn't act out.
我当时回到了那家酒店
What I did was, I went back to that hotel,
翻开了电♥话♥薄
and I opened up the phone book.
在这件事发生以前 我甚至都没想过要成为一名律师
Now, I hadn't even thought about being a lawyer until this happened.
我翻开电♥话♥簿 我…我看到的 第一家法学院 我就说自己要去那儿
I opened it up and I... First law school I saw, I said, "Mm. I'm going right there."
我真去上学了
And I did it.
我入学、刻苦学习 毕业、通过出庭律师考试
I enrolled, worked hard, I graduated, I passed the bar.
我有了自己的律所
And I got my own practice.
我做的第一件事
And the first thing I did was
就是回到雨树公♥寓♥
went down to Raintree Apartments
用五项歧视行为罪名起诉了他们
and bitch-slapped him with a five-count discriminatory practices lawsuit.
为自己维♥权♥
Take that for your vacancies.
你是个战士
You a fighter.
是的
Yeah.
我是个战士 你也是 杰里
Oh, I'm a fighter. You are, too, Jerry.
你是个战士 伙计
You're a fighter, man.
你知道我为什么说你是个战士吗
You know why I say you're a fighter?
你要跟强大的洛温集团对抗
Going up against this big Loewen Group, man...
而你是只是小企业主 这很了不起
Small business owner, man, that's something, doc.
这就是我们的共同点
That's why we connect.
你为什么想这么做
What made you want to do it?
因为他想搞砸我生命中最重要的事情
'Cause he tried to mess with the one thing that means the most to me in life:
那就是在我去世时
Being able to leave something behind for my children
给我的孩子和孙子孙女们 留下一些东西
and my grandchildren when I go.
他们有遗产 威利
They have a legacy, Willie.
我真的想把这生意传承给他们
And I do mean to pass it on to 'em.
我们放点音乐吧 - 我喜欢音乐 威利
Let's play some music. - I like music, Willie.
很好 史蒂夫 你去放点音乐吧
Good. Steve, look, why don't you go up there and turn on some music?
好的 老板 有什么特别想听的吗
Sure thing, boss. Anything particular you want to hear?
你知道我的喜好 兄弟 三个托尼组合
You know what my jam is, man. Tony! Toni! Toné!
选得好 兄弟 - 我喜欢
Wise choice, my brother. - I like that. Like that.
知道令人难以置信的是什么吗 他们三个没有一个叫托尼
You know what's crazy about Tony! Toni! Toné!? Ain't none of 'em named Tony.
就是这首
Oh, there it is.
- Hey. - Hey. All right.
♪ It feels good ♪
♪ Yeah ♪
♪ It feels good ♪
我喜欢这首 你喜欢吗 杰里
I like that. You like that, Jerry?
♪ Oh, it feels good ♪
杰里 你喜欢吗 - 喜欢 很好
Jerry, you like that? - Yeah, it's good.
是的 你感觉还好吗
It feels good?
♪ It feels good ♪
♪ Oh, it feels good ♪
尽情享受我们的音乐吧
Come on to our side!
朋友 你现在是我的人了
Oh, you're-you're my man now, doc. You're my man now, baby.
♪ It feels good ♪
密西西比州杰克逊
- ♪ It sure feels good to me. ♪ - (music ends)
嘿 - 嗨
Hey, hey. - RECEPTIONIST: Hi.
欢迎光临洲际酒店
Welcome to Hotel Intercontinental.
谢谢 我以加里的名字订了房♥间 威利加里
Well, thank you. I have a reservation for Gary, Willie Gary.
好的 加里先生 欢迎来到杰克逊
Absolutely. And welcome to Jackson, Mr. Gary.
谢谢 - 如果你有信♥用♥卡♥
Mm-hmm. Thank you. - If you have a credit card you'd like me to run,
我就可以继续安排你们入住了 谢谢
I can go ahead and get you all settled in. Thank you.
好吧 现在别看 但洛温的律师团队在那边
Hey, hey, so don't look now, but that's, over there, that's Loewen's legal team.
等等 哪儿
Where-where's that? Hmm.
天啊 这就像是全国
HAL: Jesus Christ. It's like a who's
杰出黑人律师名人录
who of every prominent Black lawyer in the country.
你真能认出他们所有人
You actually recognize all of them?
好吧 那个人是霍华德菲佛
HAL: Okay, so, that guy over there, that's Howard Pfieffer.
他是前任州代表
He's a former state representative
以及华盛顿律师协会的现任主席
and current president of the DC bar association.
那里的那位先生是理查德梅菲尔德
That gentleman there, that's Richard Mayfield.
他是反垄断和复杂商业诉讼方面的
He's one of the leading experts on antitrust
顶尖专家之一
and complex business litigation.
那边的那位先生是沃尔特贝尔
And that gentleman, right over there, that-that's Walter Bell.
他是密西西比最高法♥院♥前法官
He's a former Supreme Court Justice of Mississippi.
妈呀 洛温肯定是花了大价钱 才请到这些人的
Fuck. Man, Loewen must have spent a fortune on these dudes.
她看起来不像我想象中那么厉害
You know what? She don't actually look as bad as I thought she was gonna look.
她叫什么 玛咪 马梅 玛咪唐斯
What's her name? Uh, uh, Mammy, May, Mame? Mammy, Mammy Downes?
说真的 这就是你要说的
Seriously? Is that all you have to say?
是啊 这就是我要说的 因为他们在我看来都像蠢货
Yeah. That's all I got to say 'cause they all look like chumps to me.
事实上 你能帮我个忙吗
Matter of fact, could you do me a favor?
你能把你们最好的香槟 送到那张桌子上吗
Could you send your finest bottle of, uh, champagne over there to that table?
当然可以 有偏好吗 - 你们有什么
Certainly. Do you have a preference? - What you got?
我们有香槟王、酩悦、水晶 - 水晶
We have Dom, Moët, - Cristal... - Cristal. - Cristal.
那就是我们需要的 送瓶水晶香槟
That's what we need. Send some Cristal over there.
一定要告诉他们 这是威利加里先生送上的问候
Make sure that you say that it's, uh, compliments of Mr. Willie Gary.
嘿 说真的 别这样
Hey. Seriously, man? Please don't do that.
说真的 哈尔 闭嘴
Oh, seriously, Hal. Shut up.
听我说 我总是这么说
Listen, I always say this:
你见过我略施小计 激怒对手
You see me fighting a bear? Pour honey on me.
我们这就是在激怒对手
We're just gonna pour a little honey.
或者我们坚持采用简单的策略 让陪审团的心中形成牢固的观念
Well, we keep the strategy simple. Firmly cementing the validity of the document
确立文件作为合同的有效性
as a contract in the jury's mind.
这也将是辩护方的策略
That's definitely gonna be the defense strategy, too.
不过他们的重点是证明合同无效
Except they'll be focused on proving how it's not a contract.
电影精选列表