Mrs. McGrath, would you mind telling us how long you
德宾父子殡仪馆工作了多长时间吗
worked as an employee for the Durbin and Sons Funeral Home in Southaven, Mississippi?
在我辞职前 我在那家殡仪馆工作了大约13年
LORRAINE: Um, I worked at that funeral home for about 13 years before I quit.
在此期间 你是否 目睹过所有权转让的情况
And did you witness any transfer of ownership during this time period?
德宾父子殡仪馆 是洛温集团在1990年左右收♥购♥的
Uh, uh, Durbin and Sons was bought by the Loewen Group sometime around 1990.
那时我在那里
And I was there during that time.
在洛温集团接手后 你注意到
And did you notice any changes in the way the company was run
公♥司♥的运营方式有什么变化吗
after the Loewen Group took over?
最显著的变化是他们如何实施政策
Uh, the most significant was, uh, how they implemented this, this policy of
在没有竞争的地区
of raising prices on certain items
提高某些商品的价格
in areas where they, uh, didn't have any, any competition.
大多数情况下 结果都是
Mostly, this turned out to be, um,
在有很多贫困人口的贫困地区
poor areas, where there was a lot of-of poverty.
你能给我们举一个 这种选择性提价的例子吗
Could you give us an example of this type of selective pricing?
有一种让我记忆特别深刻的棺材
There was this one, uh, casket in particular
叫威尔伯特铜棺
I remember. The, um, the Wilbert Copper Trubune.
它的零售价本来是750美元
It, uh, was supposed to retail for $750.
在麦迪逊等地方 确实是按这个价格卖♥♥的
Uh, which it did in-in some places, like, say, Madison.
但然后在例如科林斯等
Uh, but then in other places, like Corinth,
很穷的地方…
which, as you know, is-is very poor...
是的 知道
Yes, of course.
在那些地方 他们疯狂抬高价格
Over there, they hiked the price up to something crazy.
大概涨到了原价的三倍
Like three times what it was supposed to cost.
因为他们可以为所欲为
Just because they could.
他们知道客户只能在他们手上买♥♥
They knew customers didn't have anywhere else to go.
所以基本上 我没理解错的话
So, basically, if I understand you,
洛温集团存在选择性哄抬价格的行为
the Loewen Group was involved in a form of selective price gouging.
什么 - 反对
Of what? - Objection.
法官大人 证人怎么 可能知道她从没见过的人
Your Honor, how could the witness possibly know the intentions
心里的意图
of people she's never even met before?
反对有效
Sustained.
好吧 那让我这么问你吧
All right, then. Let me ask you this.
你在德宾父子工作期间 有没有觉得
In your time at Durbin and Sons, were you ever left with the impression
洛温集团可能
that the Loewen Group might have been
特别针对少数团体…
specifically targeting minority communities...
反对 - 真的吗
Objection. Your Honor. - Wow! Really?
天啊 - 这是猜测 奥尔雷德先生
My God. - MAME: Speculation. Mr. Allred,
这个问题的依据是什么
what is the basis for this line of questioning?
奥尔雷德先生
Mr. Allred?
你知道吗 我要道歉
You know what? I apologize.
没有依据
No basis.
这只是猜测 仅此而已
It was just speculation, is all.
请将其视为无效问题
Please, consider it stricken.
但法官大人 我强烈反对唐斯小姐的语气
But Your Honor, I do take exception to Ms. Downes' tone.
你开玩笑吧 - 我的语气
You've got to be kidding. - My tone?
知道了 - 她的语气
GRAVES: Noted. - Her tone.
谢谢你 麦克格拉斯夫人 - 好的
MAME: Oh, yeah. - MIKE: Thank you, Mrs. McGrath.
没有问题了
No further questions.
知道了 好了
MAME: It was noted, all right.
早上好 杰里
Morning, Jerry.
威利 你还好吗
Willie, how are you?
我猜你还在生我的气吧
I guess you're still mad at me, huh?
那天很糟 我们就此翻篇吧
It was a very bad day. Why don't we just leave it at that?
好的 我们翻篇吧
All right, here we go.
听我说 我搞砸了 好吗
Look, I-I messed up in there. Okay?
我做错了 搞砸了
I-I did the wrong thing and I, and I blew it
我只是想说对不起 我要道歉
and, uh, I just want to say I'm sorry, and I...I apologize.
很好
Very well.
我接受你的道歉
Apology accepted.
很好 我们冰释前嫌了
Good. We got that over.
这是你第一次这么向别人道歉吗
Is this the first time you ever apologized to somebody like that?
老实说 我妻子 她帮我措辞的
Huh. Be honest with you, my wife, uh, she helped me with the phrasing.
她做得很好 你得替我感谢她
Well, she did a very nice job. I want you to thank her for me.
好的
All right.
你知道我不喜欢那个男人哪一点吗
And you know what I can't stand about that man?
什么
What?
他的脸
His face.
我知道你的意思 只是…
I know what you mean. It's, uh...
你知道我在说什么 - 他的表情
You know what I'm talking about. - ...in the expression.
不 这是一代又一代的 白人特权和优越感
No, it's generation upon generation of white entitlement and privilege
全都浓缩在一个狡黠的微笑中了
all encapsulated in one, single, simpering grin.
但他今天让那女人出庭作证
But him with that woman on stand today,
装腔作势 假装自己 是我们这种人的救世主
posturing and pretending like he's some sort of savior for our people... Ooh!
很不幸 陪审团似乎确实信了
Unfortunately,the jury did seem to eat it up.
是啊 这是个问题
(sighs) Yeah. That is a problem, isn't it?
我不是在证人名单上 看到过他的名字吗
Didn't I see his name on the witness list at some point?
据说加里本来打算把他当作…
WALTER: Supposedly, Gary was planning on calling him a...
传唤他作为奥基夫
Calling him as a material witness
和洛温的协议的重要证人
to the agreement between O'Keefe and Loewen.
这意味着我可以交叉询问他
Which means I will have him on cross.
这意味着你得好好问问他
Which means you're gonna have him on cross.
嘿 你们有人读过洛温集团
PETER: Hey, have any of you guys read about this deal
与一个叫全国浸信会的组织 达成的协议吗
that the Loewen Group made with something called the "National Baptist Convention"?
全国浸信会
The National Baptist Convention?
那是什么
What... What is that?
就像是黑人教会的一个分支
It's like, um, you know, like... an arm of the Black church.
但真的很大 可能是最大的分支
But a really big one. Probably the biggest, actually.
抱歉 你刚才是说洛温集团
Sorry, did you... did you just say that the Loewen Group
与黑人教会有笔交易
has a deal with the Black church?
全国浸信会 但没错
The, uh, National Baptist Convention. But yeah.
怎么会 这怎么说得通呢
Yeah, how? How does that make any sense?
我不知道 都在这儿了
I don't know. But it's all right here.
显然他们在大约一年前 建立了某种合作伙伴关系
Apparently, they created some sort of partnership about a year ago.
但很难说是为了什么
Hard to say why, though.
好吧 你能多给我找些 这方面的信息吗
Okay, can you get me some more information about this?
好的
Yes, sir.
原告准备好传唤下一位证人了吗
Are the plaintiffs ready to call their next witness?
是的 事实上 法官大人
Yes. Actually, Your Honor,
我们想传唤奥基夫先生的 长♥期♥律师迈克尔奥尔雷德出庭作证
we'd like to call Mr. O'Keefe's longtime attorney, Michael Allred, to the stand.
法官大人 认真的吗
Your Honor. Seriously?
道格拉斯先生 你为何想要他出庭
Where are you going with this, Mr. Douglas?
法官大人 我们知道此举可能有点不寻常
Your Honor, we-we recognize how this might seem a little unusual.
但是奥基夫先生跟洛温做交易时
However, Mr. Allred was with Mr. O'Keefe, as his attorney,
奥尔雷德先生作为律师与其在一起
the entire time he was dealing with Loewen.
我们认为他的证词很重要
And, uh, we feel like his-his testimony will be essential.
迈克尔奥尔雷德
Michael Allred.
见鬼 我们是朋友 我会叫你迈克
Oh, hell, we friends. I'm-a call you Mike.
随你 雷吉
You bet, Reggie.
那么迈克 在你30年的律师执业生涯中
So, Mike, in your 30 years of practicing law,
你专攻合同法
specializing in contract law,
在你起草奥基夫先生 和洛温先生的合同时
did it ever occur to you, when you were drawing up
你有没有想过…
the contract between Mr. O'Keefe
搞他
and Mr. Loewen,
…那份文件的性质搞他
that there could be any kind of misunderstanding
可能存在任何误解
as to what that document actually was?
没有 先生 文件很清楚 大家都知道那是什么
MIKE: No, sir. It was extremely clear to everyone exactly what it was.
那是份合同
It was a contract.
合同 是份合同
Contract. It's a contract.
在语言方面是否存在暗示性语言
Now, was there anything that suggested, in the language,
表明约定的交易完成时间 是没有期限的
that the, uh, agreed-upon time for the deal to close would be... open-ended?
出庭作证感觉如何
How's it feel to be sitting in that chair?
有点不自在
It's a little uncomfortable, yeah.
想象一下
Imagine,
我们都还没开始呢
we haven't even gotten started yet.
你担任奥基夫先生的律师 已经有一段时间了 对吧
You've been Mr. O'Keefe's attorney quite some time now, yes?
我当了30年了 将近30年
MIKE: I have. For 30 years... nearly 30 years.
你跟奥基夫先生算是好友吗
Mm. And would you say you and Mr. O'Keefe are good friends?
杰里是我最好的朋友之一
Sure. He's one of my closest friends.
我们有很多共同点 我很佩服他
Yeah, we share a lot in common. I admire him.
奥尔雷德先生 你觉得这是一起关于种族的案子吗
Mr. Allred, would you say this is a case about race?
反对 - 反对 - 有什么关联
电影精选列表