All right, Cynthia. I sure appreciate it.
好的 收信人为洛温集团董事长 雷洛温先生
All right. Address to Mr. Ray Loewen, Chairman, Loewen Group.
“亲爱的洛温先生 我叫威利E加里
Dear Mr. Loewen, my name is Willie E. Gary.
“我刚被任命为耶利米奥基夫
I've just been appointed lead counsel
“起诉您的诉讼案的首席律师
in the suit brought against you by Jeremiah O'Keefe.
“关于先前的和解方案中
In regards to the prior settlement,
“向您提议的八百万美元
the offer you received of $8 million,
“我在此撤销该提议
I hereby rescind that offer.
“在我们起草这封新的信件之日为止
As of the date of this new letter we have,
“新的和解金为
the new offer is in the amount of
“一亿美元”
$100 million.
这才像话嘛 - 他说一亿美元
Whoo. That's what I'm talking about. - Did he just say $100 million?
八个零 - 一亿美元
As in eight zeros? - $100 million.
你们为何不放松一下 听听我的说法
Why don't y'all just relax? Hear what I'm saying?
这比我们最初索要的钱 多了九千四百万
It's literally $94 million more than our original claim.
我觉得是你们最初的和解金额 少要了九千四百万
Sounds to me like your original claim was about $94 million short.
是的 加里先生 也许你可以… - 一亿
Uh, yeah, Mr. Gary, perhaps you could help us understand... - MIKE: $100 million?
太荒唐了 而且你自己也知道 你是想毁了这个官司吗
It's absurd and you know it. What you trying to do, destroy this case?
迈克 有没有人告诉过你 你胆子只有针尖大
Mike, anybody ever tell you you got balls the size of a garden slug?
威利 恐怕我同意大家的看法
W-Willie, I'm afraid that I agree with everybody's concerns.
这可是一大笔钱
That's a hell of a lot of money.
我们给出这种数字就是在自取其辱
We throw out a number like that, we're gonna humiliate ourselves.
我理解你的感受 杰里 但你得信我 好吗
Listen, I understand how you feel, Jerry. But you got to trust me, okay?
好吗 - 好的
Mm-hmm. Trust him. - Okay?
大家都得相信我 好吗
Everybody's got to trust me. All right?
现在 辛西娅 我们说到哪了
Now, Cynthia, where were we?
“截止这封信为止 我们新的和解金额为
"Starting as of the date of this letter, our new settlement demand is now
不列颠哥伦比亚省温哥华
“一亿美元”
$100 million."
不是吧 - 什么
(men laughing) -(man whistles) - MAN 2: Oh, what?
拜托 在逗我吧 一亿美元
MAN 3: Oh, come on. You got to be kidding me. - $100 million? - MAN 4: Who the hell does he think he is?
他疯了吗 - 就是 八个零呢 数数
MAN 2: Is he crazy? - MAN: Eight zeros, did you count that? Eight zeros.
这可不就是个笑话嘛
There's no way that is not a joke.
这就是个笑话 - 看起来像一打鸡蛋一样
That is a joke. - It looks like a fucking dozen eggs.
不开玩笑
No joke.
天啊 这个奥基夫 可真是个“人才” 对吧
Jesus Christ, this O'Keefe guy, he's a piece of work, no?
他聘请的这个律师是谁
Who is this clown he's hired as a lawyer?
显然是个叫威廉加里的人
Apparently, some guy by the name of William Gary.
谢谢你 鲍勃 我也看了信
Thank you, Bob, I also read the letter.
但我的问题是 他是什么人
But my question is, who is he?
有什么来头 奥基夫从哪里找到他的
What's his story? Where did O'Keefe find him?
据我们所知
From what we could dig up,
他是佛罗里达州的 一个浮夸的人身伤害律师
he's this kind of flashy personal injury lawyer, uh, out of Florida.
追着救护车跑的那种… - 人身伤害
Ambulance-chaser type. - Personal injury?
这是合同纠纷
This is a contract dispute.
他到底为什么要聘用 一个人身伤害律师来解决合同纠纷
Why the hell would he hire a personal injury lawyer for a contract dispute?
可能在密西西比那种深山老林里
Maybe they don't have any regular lawyers.
没有正规律师吧
(Southern accent): Down in backwater Mississippi.
你应该多那样说话 - 结果这个诉讼案是
You should talk like that more. - Turns out, the case was filed in some remote county
在该州下层地区的 一个叫海因兹的偏远县城提交的
in the lower region of the state, called Hinds County.
所以呢
RAY: Yeah? So?
海因兹县也刚好是最贫穷的县城之一
So, Hinds County also happens to be
大约七成人口
one of the poorest, and about 70%, uh...
是黑人
...Black.
这就是聘请他的原因吧
Oh. So that's why he was hired.
因为他是黑人
Because he's Black.
加里是黑人
Gary's Black.
他是非裔美国人
He's an African American man.
("Hold On" by En Vogue playing) ♪ When... ♪
♪ I... ♪
♪ When I ♪
- ♪ Had you ♪ - ♪ Had you ♪
- ♪ I treated you bad ♪ - ♪ Bad ♪
我的祖父曾说:“无论那是谁…”
Well, like I said, like my grandfather said,
够了 我不用担心他
"Who in so ever it is..." I ain't worried about it.
雷吉 你不明白这整个…
Reg, you're not understanding the whole...
抱歉 打扰了
MAN: Sorry to interrupt.
我们刚刚收到了你要的信息 是关于洛温任命的首席律师的信息
We just got the info you requested on who Loewen appointed as lead counsel.
能让我看看吗 - 是谁 我们认识吗
HAL: May I see that, please? Thank you. - Well, who is he? Do we know him?
是她 - 她
She. - WILLIE: She?
你说什么 是她
What you talking about, "she"?
对 那是什么意思 她
Yeah, what does that mean, "she"?
她就是一个… - 一个女人
"She" as in, like, a... like a... - A woman?
她叫马梅唐斯
Her name is Mame Downes.
她毕业于霍华德大学学士学位
She graduated with her BA from Howard University.
那意味着她不仅是个女人 还是个黑人女性
Oh. That means she just ain't a woman, she's a Black woman.
她是姐妹
She's a sister.
你怎么知道 他们一次性凑齐了 黑人和女人两个有利条件 我们完了
Well, what do you know? We done got out-Blacked and out-womaned, all in one go.
以全年级第一的成绩 毕业于哈佛法学院
Graduated top of her class from Harvard Law School.
天啊
Jesus Christ.
然后又为最高大♥法♥官
Then went on to clerk two years
桑德拉戴奥康纳做了两年书♥记♥员
for Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.
在宝维斯律所做了三年非合伙律师
Three years associate at Paul, Weiss
现在是克布阿律所最年轻的合伙人
and now currently the youngest partner ever at Cranston, Brown and Atwell.
真厉害
Okay, that's impressive.
我朋友曾经跟她一起在克布阿工作
Friend of mine used to work with her, over at C, B and A.
而且
And, um...well...
他跟我说 他们办公室给她取了一个绰号♥
he told me they had a nickname for her around the office.
什么绰号♥
Mm. What was it?
是对的吗
Ain't that right?
蟒蛇
"The Python." (chuckles)
名字来源于 她在交叉询问时的独特风格
On account of her particular style during cross?
好吧 - 好的
Yes. Yes. - You know,
她会在你最意想不到的时候出手
how she used to strike when you least expect it.
好吧 蟒蛇女士 但你知道吗
Mm-hmm. Okay, Ms. Python. But you know what?
非常形象
Very descriptive.
你知道吗 我可是巨蟒
You know what? I'm the boa constrictor.
让我们看看你的能耐吧
Let's see what she got.
我觉得我们可能需要 给有线电视公♥司♥打电♥话♥
I think we may need to call the cable company.
我每次试着打开特纳广播时
Every time I try and turn on Turner Broadcast,
会出现一些奇怪的空白屏幕
it's just some weird, empty screen.
我觉得有点问题
Think there's something wrong with it.
这没问题 我取消订阅了
There's nothing wrong with it. I canceled the subscription.
什么意思 你取消了
What do you mean, you canceled it?
安妮 那些保险监管人员 前几天又来了
Annie, those insurance regulators came by again the other day.
他们这次吊销了我的执照
They suspended my license this time.
我将不得不将公♥司♥停业一段时间
I'm gonna have to shut the business down for a while.
什么
What?
你在说什么
What are you talking about?
只是暂时停业 官司一结束
It's only temporary. Soon as we get this trial over with,
洛温给出赔偿 我们就能东山再起…
Loewen makes his restitution, we gonna be up and...
杰里 听听你自己说的话吧
Jerry. Jerry. You hear yourself?
雷洛温一给出赔偿
As soon as Ray Loewen makes restitution?
你真的确定你能打赢官司
Do you really know for sure that's even gonna happen?
而且你还没告诉我 我们要怎么支付这些费用
I mean, you still haven't told me how we're paying for all this.
你刚从佛罗里达 请的那个牛逼的新律师
That fancy new lawyer you just brought in from Florida.
你不必担心他
You don't have to worry about him.
我只是不明白
Well, I just don't understand
你为什么还要继续打这场荒唐的官司
why you're continuing with this ridiculous lawsuit.
你可以另寻买♥♥家购买♥♥这三家殡仪馆
You can find another buyer for those three homes.
你知道的
You know that.
显然 这对你来说有其他意义
Clearly, this is about something else for you.
也许吧 也许我只是不想看到他逍遥法外
Maybe it is. Maybe I just don't want to see him get away with it.
谁 雷洛温
Who? Ray Loewen?
天啊 杰里
My God, Jerry.
你为什么抓着这个人不放
What is your obsession with this man?
你想让我做什么 安妮
What do you expect me to do, Annie,
就躺平了让他肆意践踏我
just lay back and let him walk all over me?
让他践踏我们家
Let him walk all over our family?
我希望你…
What I expect you to do
在某个时候想起我
is to think of me, at some point.
你觉得我们赢不了
You don't think we can win.
如果你想知道我要怎么付钱
If you want to know how I'm paying for it,
我拿这房♥子申请了第三次抵押贷款
电影精选列表