八家 我在全州有八家殡仪馆
JEREMIAH: Eight. I own eight funeral homes across the state.
当然还有我的保险公♥司♥
And my insurance business, of course.
所以这样吧
So what about this?
你以稍后商定出的公平市价
You sell me three of your homes,
卖♥♥给我三家殡仪馆
at a fair market value to be agreed upon later.
这样你不仅能保留大部分资产
Then, not only do you get to keep the bulk of your assets,
还能赚到足以应付
but it would also provide you with more than enough fresh cash
监管机构的现钱
to deal with the regulators.
我还希望能在这笔交易中 得到一些别的东西
Now, there's something else I want out of this deal.
我的大部分利润来自于销♥售♥丧葬保险
I make most of my profits from selling burial insurance.
如果你垄断丧葬保险 我就无法生存
There's no way I can survive if you have a monopoly
所以我提议我以公平市价
on that, too, so what I propose is that I sell you three of my funeral homes,
卖♥♥给你三家殡仪馆
fair market value...
但你得在此时此刻保证
...but you're going to have to promise, here and now,
不再在密西西比州南部销♥售♥丧葬保险
to no longer sell burial insurance in southern Mississippi.
好的
Okay.
那么 我们达成协议了吗
So does this mean we have a deal?
我会让我的律师起草合同
I'll get my lawyers to draw up the contracts
我们可以立刻完成交易
so we can get it done immediately.
为什么拖了那么久 我们达成了一致…
What the hell is taking so long? We closed on this deal, um…
现在已经过了四个月了 他们一直在尝试修改交易条款
Coming up on four months now. They keep trying to re-trade the terms.
我们离开温哥华的时候 他们说最多只需要30天
When we left Vancouver, they said it would take 30 days max.
这不合理
It just doesn't make sense.
我觉得很合理 - 怎么说
I don't know, makes perfect sense to me. - Why?
你们有没有考虑过
Have you considered the possibility
洛温可能根本无意完成这笔交易
that Loewen has no intention of closing this deal at all?
孩子 恕我直言
Son, with all due respect,
你根本不知道自己在说什么
you don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about.
我觉得我知道
I think I do.
想想看
Think about it.
他拖的时间越长 你的处境就越糟
The longer he stalls, the worse you're screwed.
首先 保险委员会会收回你的执照
First, the insurance commission takes your license,
从而彻底摧毁你的生计
effectively destroying your livelihood,
迟早你会别无选择 只能申请破产
until, sooner or later, you have no choice but to file for bankruptcy.
这样一来 洛温不仅能拿到那三家殡仪馆
Now not only does Loewen get the three homes,
他还可以以低价 从你手上买♥♥下你的整个生意
he can actually buy your entire business out from under you at yard-sale prices.
你真的觉得他想让我破产 他不能这么做
You really think he's trying to bankrupt me? Hell, he can't do that;
我有一份签好了的合同
I got a signed contract.
只有我们这边签了字 没有附上截止日期
It was only signed on our end. With no closing date attached.
我听说洛温先生还在该地区销♥售♥保险
And, by the way, I heard Mr. Loewen is actually still selling insurance in the region.
拜托 别再说这些阴谋论的话了
Oh, come on. Stop with the conspiracy theories.
孩子 对不起 但你疑心太重了
Son, I'm sorry, but you really are paranoid.
好吧 介意帮我个忙吗
Okay. Um… would you mind doing me a favor?
你能别再叫我“孩子”了吗
Would you mind stop calling me son?
我不是你的孩子 迈克
I am not your son, Mike.
放松 好吗
Whoa. Just take it easy, okay?
你真的想在这里 成为一名被认可的律师吗
You really want to be taken seriously as a lawyer in this town?
谁说我不是了 - 你们俩够了
Okay. Who says I'm not? - Enough of that, y'all.
你真觉得洛温先生
Do you really think Mr. Loewen
想毁了我
has the intention of running me into the ground?
是的 他为什么要帮咱们一把
I do. Why the hell should he be on our clock anyway?
好吧 就这样吧 我要起诉他
Well, that's it. I'm gonna sue him.
你这辈子从未起诉过任何人
You've never sued anybody before in your whole life.
我现在随时都可能起诉人
Well, I'm liable to, just about any minute now.
你觉得75岁 是开始起诉人的好时候吗
Yeah. Well, you think 75 years of age is a good time to start suing people?
老年人不打官司
Old men don't file lawsuits.
在我看来 如果有人想占你的便宜
The way I see it, if somebody tries to take advantage of you,
而你知道这种举动是错的 不管你年纪多大 都该采取行动
and you know it's wrong, it don't matter how old you are.
他想彻底毁掉我的生意
This fellow tried to bully me out of business.
而我觉得我不应该支持这种举动
And I don't think I should be expected to stand for it.
密西西比州海恩兹县
我是来提起诉讼的
I'm here to file a lawsuit.
起诉状带来了吗 我能看看吗
That the complaint right there? May I see it, please?
“老耶利米J奥基夫诉洛温集团”
"Jeremiah J. O'Keefe Sr. V. The Loewen Group LLC."
听上去很有趣 你觉得谁会赢
Ooh. Sounds juicy. Who do you think's gonna win?
什么
Excuse me? - (doorbell rings)
天啊 哈尔 你来干什么
Well, goodness, Hal, what are you doing here?
你知道现在是几点吗 - 听着
You know what time it is? - Look, uh,
我知道现在很晚了 真的很抱歉
I know it's late. I'm really sorry about that.
我发现了一些 我觉得对我们的官司有利的东西
I-I found something I think will be really useful for our case.
又是一集精彩的 《富人和名人的生活方式》
ROBIN LEACH (over TV): The thrills continue with another
惊险刺♥激♥的故事继续上演
opulent episode on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.
你不会相信
You won't believe
著名人身伤害律师 威利E加里的惊人旅程
the amazing journey of famed personal injury lawyer Willie E. Gary,
他拒绝接受终生贫困
a man who refused to accept a life sentence of poverty
因为他相信美国梦
because he believed in the American dream.
威利加里出生在佛罗里达州甘蔗田的 一个移♥民♥佃农家庭
Born to a family of migrant sharecroppers working the sugarcane fields of Florida,
他的生活并不总是一帆风顺
life wasn't always a bed of roses for Willie Gary.
我总是渴望自己能成就一番事业
I just always had this burning desire to be something, you know?
我知道自己能成功
And I-I knew I was going to make something of myself.
而他确实成功了
LEACH: And make something of himself he did,
现在 威利经常打赢数百万的…
as now Willie regularly wins multimillion-dollar cases...
你是在建议我 聘请这个人做我的律师吗
Are you suggesting I hire this guy as one of my lawyers?
这个想法似乎很疯狂
Seems like a crazy idea,
但这个人能打赢官司 我是说…
but this guy wins cases. I mean...
他不仅有架叫“正义之翼”的 私人737喷气式飞机
LEACH: He not only owns his own private 737 jet, called Wings of Justice,
还在富饶的佛罗里达海岸边的 一栋有50个房♥间的
he also lives the high life in a 50-room
豪♥宅♥里过着奢华的生活
mansion along the luxurious Florida coast.
不过房♥间的装饰就不能归功于威利了
But Willie can't take credit for the decorating,
这要归功于他青梅竹马的
as that job belongs to Willie's childhood sweetheart,
美丽迷人的妻子格洛丽亚
his gorgeous and alluring wife Gloria.
我一直想提醒威利的一件事是
GLORIA: One thing that I always try to remind Willie of is to...
永远不要忘记他从何而来
is to never forget where he came from.
保持谦虚
Mm. Stay humble.
对 “谦虚”就是威利加里的中间名
Yes, "humble" is Willie Gary's middle name.
永远不要让别人告诉你 你不能做某事 好吗
Don't never let nobody tell you you can't do something, okay?
这是威利加里跟你说的
Willie Gary told you that.
碰拳 - 永不忘本 威…
Give me a pound. - Never forgetting his roots...
信不信由你 他有完美的庭审记录
Believe it or not, he's got an absolutely flawless trial record.
据说12年来 他从未败诉
He supposedly hasn't lost a case in over 12 years.
他对合同法了解多少 这是一起合同法官司
What does he know about contract law? This is a contract law case.
该案在海因兹县立案
The case was filed down in Hinds County.
那里黑人与白人的比例为三比一
That's a three-to-one Black/white ratio.
这意味着我们有70%的机会 得到一位黑人法官
That means there's a 70% chance we'll get a Black judge,
如果我们能走到庭审这一环节 有可能有黑人陪审团
and if we do go to trial, likely a Black jury as well.
所以呢
So what?
恕我直言 你不能让迈克奥尔雷德 这种人出现在黑人陪审团面前
With all due respect, you-you can't put a guy like Mike Allred in front of a Black jury.
为什么不行啊
Why the hell not?
他做我的律师已经30年了 他比任何人都了解合同法
He has been my attorney for 30 years. He knows contract law better than anybody.
你真要我解释给你听吗
You're really gonna make me spell this out.
他身上散发着一种 自以为是的南方白人老顽固的味道
He literally reeks self-satisfied, good ol' boy Southern bigotry.
黑人陪审团看到那样的人出庭…
I mean, a Black jury sees a guy like that coming...
哈尔 这种完全迎合陪审团的想法…
The idea of us pandering to a jury like that, Hal, it's not...It...
这不是起歧视诉讼
This is not a discrimination suit.
你我都知道这件事与种族无关
You and I both know that race has nothing to do with this.
我碰巧知道加里先生本周在佛罗里达
I happen to know, for a fact, that Mr. Gary is trying a case
代理一起案子
down in Florida this week.
我们俩
What if... what if...
就去那里一天 见见他怎么样
you and I went down there, just for the day,and try to meet him in person?
我们只是想让洛温集团 对他们自己的行为负责
Essentially, we just want to hold the Loewen Group responsible for their actions.
不 这不是你们想要的 你们想要他们付钱
Nah, nah, nah. That ain't what you want. What you want to do is you want to make 'em pay.
让他们受伤 付出代价 - 对
REGGIE: Make 'em hurt, make 'em pay. - Yeah, yeah.
所以你们想要多少钱
So, how much money y'all trying to get, hmm?
六百万美元 - 六百万
JEREMIAH: Uh, $6 million. - $6 million.
公平市价加上损失赔偿的总和
That's full, fair market value plus damages,
我已经在密西西比州海恩兹县 提起了民事诉讼
and I've already filed a civil claim in Hinds County, Mississippi.
你觉得怎么样 加里先生 你喜欢这起诉讼案吗
Well? What-what do you think, Mr. Gary? Do you like the case?
我能给你们我的个人意见吗 实话实说
I'm gonna give you my personal opinion. Honest.
奥基夫先生 我很遗憾这个叫洛温的对你做这种事
Look, Mr. O'Keefe, I'm sorry for what this Loewen guy did to you...
他听上去像是个大混♥蛋♥ 但是
He sounds like he's a big asshole and everything like that... But, um,
这不是威利加里的官司
电影精选列表