我们的奴隶先祖全都被埋在这里
(sighs) ...of our slave ancestors, it's, it's all buried everywhere out here.
在地底深处 你们看到的所有地方 都是我们的历史所在
Deep underground. Pretty much everywhere you look, that's where our history is.
在这广阔空旷的田野里
In these vast, empty fields.
在某些地方 他们立了所有这些雕像
In some places, they put up all these statues.
就像到处都能看到的 那些南方纪念碑和雕像一样
You know, like all these Confederate monuments and statues you see everywhere.
很多纪念碑和雕像 都是建在奴隶墓地之上的
All the lot of 'em is put up right on top of a slave burial field.
这就像是将一段历史 凌驾于另一段历史之上
It's like taking one history and putting it right on top of another.
也像是把一个人的遗产 置于另一个人的遗产之上
It's like taking one man's legacy, putting it on top of another.
直到有一天 它被压得很深
Till, one day, it gets pushed down so deep
被埋得很深
buried so deep...
再也没人能找到它了
...can't no one ever find it no more.
他们的一些成员告诉我
WOMAN: Some of the members came to me and told me that
埋葬父亲的实际费用要比我买♥♥保险时
the actual cost of burying my father was gonna be much more
他们所说的要高得多
than what they said when I bought the policy.
我跟他们说我没有多余的钱
When I told them that I didn't have the extra money,
不知道我要多久才能搞到这么多钱时
and I didn't know how long it would take me to get it,
他们高兴地说 他们会把尸体保存在冰里
they happily said they'd keep the body on ice.
派来指导我的那个助祭 并没给我带来任何安慰
Rather than give me any comfort, the deacon assigned to be counselor
反而借此机会塞给我一堆宣传册
used it as an opportunity to shove a bunch of brochures in my face
试图招募我成为洛温的销♥售♥代表
and try and recruit me as a Loewen sales rep.
突然 这个NBC的人就出现了
Then, suddenly, this man from the NBC shows up,
问我是否已经安排好了葬礼
asking if I've made funeral arrangements and...
还问我对洛温丧葬套餐有没有兴趣
if I'd be interested in a Loewen burial package.
他说预先付款更划算
He said I'd get a much better deal if I paid upfront.
在我儿子死之前
Before my son died.
等我丈夫最后真的去世了
Once my husband finally passed,
他们说我购买♥♥的套餐不包含
that's when they said that the package that I bought
尸体防腐处理或搬运的费用
didn't cover the cost of embalming or moving the body.
我给母亲买♥♥的棺材是最便宜的
The coffin I bought for my mom was the least expensive one.
后来发现 他们卖♥♥给我的那个 比均♥价♥高出三倍
Come to find out the one they sold me was three times more than average.
当你自己的传教士来找你 告诉你你需要一些东西时
Your own preacher come to you, telling you you need something,
你信教 所以你相信他的话
and you religious, you believe it.
我知道你是洛温集团的分♥析♥师之一
WILLIE: Now, I understand that you are one of the analysts for the Loewen Group.
你负责处理一些高层交易
You deal with some of the high-level deals.
对吗 - 是的 没错
Is that correct? - Yes, that's correct.
而且你是洛温集团和全国浸信会
Also that you were, uh, one of the architects of this latest deal
最新交易的设计者之一
that you had between the Loewen Group and the National Baptist Convention.
对吗 - 是的 没错
Is that right? - Yes, I was.
好的 你是浸信会的吗
Yeah, yeah, yeah. You Baptist?
不是 - 不是
No, not Baptist. - No.
但是是基♥督♥徒 - 是的
Christian, though, right? - Yes.
我们都是基♥督♥徒 对吧
Yeah, yeah. We all Christian, right?
我们都相信上帝 阿门
We all believe in God. Amen?
但问题来了
Here's the question, though.
洛温集团计划 从他们与NBC的交易中
How much money did the Loewen Group project to make
捞多少钱
from this deal of them and the NBC?
记住
And remember...
你宣过誓 得说实话
you're under oath.
我们最初对这笔交易的长♥期♥预测
Uh, our original long-term projections for that deal were somewhere around
是在十亿美元左右 也许十二亿
1... maybe $1.2 billion.
120万美元
$1.2 million?
十二亿美元 - 十二亿…
$1.2 billion. - $1.2...
十二亿美元
$1.2 billion?
十二亿美元
$1.2 billion,
这对洛温集团来说 是很大一笔钱了 对吧
that's-that's good money. That's good money for the Loewen Group, correct?
是的 - 是很大一笔钱
Yes. - That's good money.
这是很大一笔钱 十二亿
That's good money. $1.2 billion.
我还以为你说的是百万 但是是十亿美元
I thought you said "million," but you said "billion dollars."
你们付给他们多少钱
How much did you pay 'em?
抱歉
I'm sorry?
我说你们付给他们多少钱
I said, how much did you pay 'em?
洛温集团给了全国浸信会多少钱
How much did the Loewen Group pay the National Baptist Convention
作为交易的报酬
as compensation as a result of the deal?
我相信我们捐赠了大约二十万美元
I believe we made about a $200,000 donation.
陪审团听到了
The jury heard it.
我们没有为此辩护
We didn't have a defense for it.
真♥他♥妈♥一团糟
Oh, what a fucking mess.
我得给洛温打电♥话♥
I'm gonna have to call Loewen.
诚实地与人打交道 对我们来说一直很重要
RAY: Dealing with people honestly is something that's always been important to us.
我们是否寻求在日益动荡的市场中 成为强大的竞争对手
Do we seek to be tough competitors in an increasingly volatile market?
是的 但我们不骗人
Yes. But we don't cheat people.
那不是我们的经营之道
That's not how we operate.
没有问题了 法官大人
No further questions, Your Honor.
轮到你问了 加里先生 - 好的
Your witness, Mr. Gary. - WILLIE: All right.
洛温先生 你还好吗 - 我很好 谢谢你 加里先生
Mr. Loewen, how you doing? - I'm very well, thank you, Mr. Gary.
朋友 你穿这身西装很好看 是阿玛尼的
You look good in that suit, doc. That's that Armani,
隔着一公里我都能看出来
I can tell that a mile away.
我想谢谢你远道而来
Listen, I just want to thank you for coming down here.
我知道你真的很忙
I know you're really busy,
但有这种大人物在场真好
and we appreciate it, but it's good to have the big man here.
因为我们想在这黑暗的地方 有一些光芒
Because, um, you know, we want to shine some light on some of these dark places.
我就直接开始了 我想知道
And, uh, I'll just start right off with it. I want to know,
从你的角度来看
from your perspective...
你跟奥基夫先生之间的交易是什么
...what was the deal that you had between you and Mr. O'Keefe?
大约在一年前
I believe it was roughly a year ago
我们收到了奥基夫先生的代表的询价
when we received an enquiry from a representative of Mr. O'Keefe's.
事实上我很确定是奥基夫先生的律师
In fact, I'm pretty sure it was his lawyer,
奥尔雷德先生联♥系♥的我们
Mr. Allred, who contacted us.
我觉得他们非常迫切地想抛售
My understanding is they were very anxious to sell.
所以我们开始研究这笔交易
So we started looking into the deal.
深入调查
Sussing it out.
试图确定这笔交易
Trying to determine if it was something
是否符合我们企业的利益
that would be a good fit for our business.
过了一段时间 我邀请 奥基夫先生和他的同事们来到温哥华
Sometime after that, I invited Mr. O'Keefe and his associates up to Vancouver.
如果我没记错 他们来我的船上
If I recall, they came for dinner,
吃了晚餐 我们讨论了一些事
at my boat, and we discussed things.
之后 就不好说了
After that, uh, hard to say.
通常在那个阶段 我会把事情交给我的收♥购♥团队处理
Normally, at that stage, I turn things over to my acquisitions team.
这很愉快
Well, that's pleasant.
我是说真的
I mean, that really is.
你很幸运 洛温先生 我没有很多后续问题要问
And ...lucky for you, uh, Mr. Loewen, I don't have a lot of follow-up questions.
我只有一个问题想问你
I just have, uh, one thing I want to ask you. Uh...
是哪种船
What kind of boat?
你能重复一遍吗
Come again?
我说 是哪种船
Oh, I said: "What kind of boat?"
你之前提到你们一起在船上
You-you said earlier that you guys were all on the boat together,
你们一起用餐 度过了美好的时光 吃了最棒的鱼
and y'all was eating and having a good time, having the best fish,
我只想知道是哪种船
and I just wanted to know, what kind of boat is it?
我不明白 你是在问特定品牌 还是…
I don't understand. Are you asking about the particular make, or...
事实上 我是想问…
Matter of fact, I was asking...
我能读出来吗 上面写着:“九个日光浴甲板”
Can I read from this? It says, "Nine sunning decks."
“六间优雅的豪华房♥间”
Mm. "Six elegant staterooms."
反对 法官大人 - “五间豪华客舱”
Objection, Your Honor. What is the relevance... - "Five luxury guest cabins."
此案与证人的船有什么关系 - 反对无效
...of the witnesses' boat? - Overruled.
这船很不错 - 反对无效
It's a nice boat. - Overruled, Ms. Downes.
我只是想确认…
Your Honor, can I just read what the boat is?
让大家都知道这是一艘很不错的船
I just want to recognize and let everybody see that it's a very nice boat.
你有一个直升机停机坪
You got, uh, helicopter, helicopter pad.
你可以让直升机 降落在那艘船上 对吧
You can land a helicopter on that thing, huh?
这是另一回事 那很贵
That's something else right there. That's high grass.
你这艘船花了多少钱
How much did, uh, how much did this boat of yours cost?
我真的不知道
I really don't know.
我觉得我们…你不明白这个问题
I think we're... You're not understanding the question.
让我重新组织一下语言 好让你更好地理解
I'm... Let me frame it again so you can understand it better.
我是问你花了多少钱买♥♥这船
I'm asking you how much did you pay for your boat?
我不知道 - 反对
I don't know. - Objection.
我能问你一个… - 问了 也答了
Can I ask... You know what? - MAME: Asked and answered.
算了吧 让我问你这个问题 你的飞机花了多少钱
Forget about that. Let me ask you this: How much you pay for your plane? Huh?
因为你记得一些事 却忘了别的
Since you can remember some things and you forget other things,
你的飞机多少钱
how much you pay for your plane?
电影精选列表