当我把支票给他们时 他们松了一口气
When I handed it over, they appeared relieved,
但又好像对这个数目有点失望
but perhaps a little disappointed at the figure.
他们很恭敬 一直在和我道谢
They were courteous and thanked me all the same.
我坐立不安
I was quite uncomfortable.
但在走之前 我问了他们一个问题
But before hurrying off, I asked them a question.
你们打算用这钱做什么
What will you do with all this money?
他们说了一堆关于这笔钱就是奇迹之类的话
They rambled on about miracles or some such thing.
那一瞬间 他们似乎认为
For a moment, everything in their immediate line of view
冒及之处的一切都是可以解决和实现的
seemed solvable, achievable.
认为接下来一切都会顺利
They would finally be all right
多亏有我这么一个体贴的孙子
and what a thoughtful grandson I was.
当我要离开的时候
Upon departure,
甚至还没走到前院
before I even reached the edge of their front lawn,
他们就追在我身后喊
the two of them came running out after me, shouting.
哈里森 你忘了在支票上签名
"You've forgotten your signature, Harrison."
我鼓起勇气像个大人一样
I summoned the courage to be frank
告诉他们
and to speak to them as adults.
我说我没忘
I had not forgotten, I said,
是我不满意他们的回答
but was not ultimately compelled to sign
所以不想违心签名
due to the blunder of their response.
这句话好似当头一棒
They took it as such a shock.
我甚至以为他们会背过气去
I thought for a moment it might kill them
直接倒在前院的草坪上
right there on the front lawn.
但他们只是哭着求我
But the two of them just wept and came apart like beggars.
这个情况比我想象中更麻烦
The whole thing was so much more disturbing than I'd imagined.
于是在他们答应
And so on condition
以后再也不去打扰我母亲后
that they let Margaret alone from then on,
我另给他们开了张五百美元的支票签了名
I struck them a separate cheque for $500 and I signed.
这就是我对我母亲的爱 托斯先生
That is how much I loved my mother, Mr Tóth.
我们彼此陪伴 相依为命
We did things for each other.
他们这样对待你们俩
What could they expect
难道还指望你们回报他们吗
after the way they had treated you both?
没错 我就是这么想的
Yes, yes, that's exactly how I see it.
我问你
Answer me something.
你为什么选择建筑
Why architecture?
这是个测试吗
Is it a test?
不是
No, it is not.
万物之道不言自明
Nothing is of its own explanation.
还有比立方体本身的结构
Is there a better description of a cube
更能阐述立方体的定义的存在吗
than that of its construction?
战争爆发了
There was a war on.
但是 我认为
And yet it is my understanding that...
很多我建造的项目还是留存下来了
many of the sites of my projects have survived.
它们在城市里魏然不动
They remain there still in the city.
当欧洲的可怕回忆 不再让我们感到耻辱的时候
When the terrible recollections of what happened in Europe cease to humiliate us,
我期待看到它们成为一种政♥治♥上的激励
I expect for them to serve instead as a political stimulus,
激发出那些在民族命运周期中
sparking the upheavals that so frequently occur
反反复复的社会剧变
in the cycles of peoplehood.
我可以预见 人类愤怒和恐惧的众生相
I already anticipate a communal rhetoric of anger and fear.
这可笑的洪流也许会不断起伏翻涌
A whole river of such frivolities may flow undammed.
但我的建筑会在动荡中屹立不倒
But my buildings were devised to endure such erosion
抵御住多瑙河岸边的侵蚀
of the Danube's shoreline.
多么诗意的回答
What a poetic reply.
你一定会是位受欢迎的教授
You must have been a beloved professor.
我之前就说过 我真的觉得你的话
I've said it before, but I find our conversations...
很有启发性
intellectually stimulating.
我同意
I agree with you.
各位
Everyone, please.
拿上白兰地和我出去吧
Take your brandy and join me outside.
我准备了一个大惊喜
I have a terrific surprise.
哈里森 你在搞什么名堂
Where the hell are you taking us, Harrison?
冻死我了
It's freezing out here.
我穿着高跟鞋还没说话呢 迈克尔
Try doing this in heels, Michael.
我们就要到了 加油
Only a little further. Come on.
大家再忍♥一忍♥
Bear with us, everyone.
耐心点 我们马上就到了
Hold your horses, we're almost there.
好了
All right.
你们可能都知道
As many of you know,
去年这一年对哈利 玛姬和我来说
this past year has been somewhat difficult
挺艰难的
for Harry, Maggie and myself.
爸爸 外面太冷了 我们能回去说吗
Daddy, it's very cold out here. Shall we go back inside?
玛姬 请让我说完
Maggie, please. Quiet.
今晚我叫大家出来站在冷风里
I've brought you all out here this evening in the cold
不是为了追忆我的往昔
not to glance over my shoulder at the past,
而是想和大家一起展望未来
but to join me in looking forward toward the future.
大家都知道越过这个高地就是道尔镇
As you know, over this rise is Doylestown.
我们计划在这里 以玛格丽特·李·范·比朗的名义
And so on this site, we plan to build a centre for the community
建造一个社区中心
in the name of Margaret Lee Van Buren.
哈里森 这个主意真好
Harrison, that's lovely.
它将神圣无比
This shall be a sacred enough space
能让她的灵魂栖息于此
that perhaps her soul might inhabit it.
大家可以在此处相聚 沉思 学习
A place for gathering, reflecting, learning.
而这 托斯先生 我希望由你来为她打造
And, Mr Tóth, I would like you to build this for her.
建造一个没有界限 别具一格的地方
Something boundless, something new.
我知道这吓到你了 我很高兴
This has shocked you, I see. I'm delighted.
我以为你已经察觉到了
I thought perhaps you might see it coming.
不 不
No. No.
听着
Listen.
命运让我们在我母亲逝世当晚相遇
It is no coincidence that fate brought us together
这绝非巧合
on the eve of my mother's death.
这是上天的暗示
I'm good at reading the signs.
先生 我不知道这个项目的具体内容是什么
Sir, I do not know what the commission entails.
我们可以私下再聊细节
We'll talk about the details at home,
但你会获得一笔丰厚的报酬
but you'll be well compensated.
而且 我会在这里给你留一个地方
And also, you'll be given a place here on the property
供你居住和工作
to live and work.
住在这里
I think that residing here
你会有足够的时间和空间
will allow you the time and the space
好好构思
to conceive of it properly.
等你的家人来了
And your family, should they arrive,
这里同样欢迎她们
they're welcome here too.
你觉得怎么样
What do you say?
我 我
Well, I-I... uh...
我很乐意先规划草图给您看
I would like to draw something and then present it to you.
你想靠实力拿下这个项目
You'd like to win the commission.
没问题
All right, you can do that.
太冷了 我们回去吧
It's cold, let's return inside.
走吧
Come on.
打扰一下
Excuse me.
我很抱歉
I am sorry, I am sorry.
有个司机送我过来的 但我不记得他的名字了
A driver brought me here, I don't recall his name.
抱歉 -不 我得回去
Sorry. - No, I need to get back. I...
有人能帮我联♥系♥到
Could someone possibly contact the man
下午送我过来的那个人吗
who dropped me here this afternoon?
请稍等
One minute, please.
托斯先生 抱歉让你久等了
Mr Tóth. I'm sorry to have kept you waiting.
哈里森已经回房♥睡了 他向您道晚安
Harrison's gone to bed. He wishes you a good night.
您能帮我找到那位司机吗
Would you help me to find the driver?
听我说 我为我父亲的豪言壮志向您道歉
Listen, I'm terribly sorry about my father's theatrics.
吓到您了吧
Must have caught you off guard.
我没事
It's quite all right.
他经常在没有征求我们意见的情况下
He often makes these decisions
做出这种决定
without consulting the rest of us.
我没太当回事
I did not take any of it to heart.
您应该当回事
Oh, you should.
您应该当回事
You should, you see.
我父亲想让我们聘请您
My father would like us to hire you.
哦
Oh.
嗯
Ah.
我没有任何基础设施可用
I don't have any infrastructure here.
电影精选列表