Everyone's famished. - Harry, you remember each other.
是的 下午好
Yes, I do. Afternoon.
爸爸 厨房♥在问我们是否可以入席了
Daddy, the kitchen's asking if we could please take our seats.
这位是哈利的孪生妹妹 玛姬
And this is Harry's twin sister, Maggie.
您好 托斯先生 我们非常喜欢这个图书馆
Hello, Mr Tóth. We love the library.
胤
Thank you.
好了 开饭吧
All right, let's eat.
他不肯吹嘘自己的成就
He won't tout his own accomplishments, but...
但托斯先生的作品
Mr Tóth's work is celebrated
在大部分西欧和中欧地区都广受赞誉
throughout much of Western and Central Europe.
如果你关注建筑的话
There are many features on him in architectural journals,
建筑期刊上有许多关于他的专题报道
if you follow that sort of thing.
您擅长什么方向
What was your focus?
剧院 犹太教堂 建筑修复
Uh, theatres, synagogues, restorations.
我做过很多项目 有一些很独特
Many projects but some quite unusual.
托斯先生 您结婚了吗
Are you married, Mr Tóth?
Yes.
我妻子还在欧洲
She's still in Europe.
为什么
Why's that?
我们被隔离开了
We were separated.
我们没有选择
Forcibly.
无意冒犯 请问您来自哪里
Where is it you come from, if you don't mind my asking?
我听不出来您的口音
I... I can't place the accent.
布达佩斯
The city of Budapest.
饱受战争的蹂躏 太可怕了
Ravaged during the war. Just terrible.
战争期间是怎样的
What was it like, the war?
我们听过一些令人脊背发凉的事情
We hear some stories here that make one's toes curl.
我都不知道从何说起 霍夫曼夫人
I would not know where to begin, Mrs Hoffman.
您打算回欧洲吗 托斯先生
Do you plan on returning to Europe, Mr Tóth?
我的妻子试图来这里找我
But my wife, she tries to come now, here, to join me.
但情况很艰难
But the situation is difficult.
罗斯福下台后
Well, with Roosevelt gone now,
应该会方便一些
that should make things easier.
虽然他下台了 但大家还是害怕
He is gone, but everyone is still frightened
我这样的人 会威胁国♥家♥安♥全♥
that people like me are a threat to their national defence.
像您这样的人是指犹太人吗
When you say "people", you mean Jews?
我们是犹太教♥徒♥
We're Jewish.
米歇尔皈依了犹太教
Michelle converted.
我妻子埃尔兹贝特也是
As did my Erzsébet.
这需要大量的投入和学习
It required a great deal of commitment and study,
但是
but...
家乡很少有人愿意承认她的身份
..few at home recognised her for it.
可惜纳粹分子不这么认为
A pity the National Socialists could not see it their way.
不 不仅仅是犹太人
But no, not only Jewish.
外国人也是
Foreign people.
我很幸运能够离开不来梅港
I was fortunate to depart from Bremerhaven when I did.
杜鲁门的指令帮助我们这群人进行了转移
Truman's order facilitated the transfer of my group.
其他人就没那么幸运了
Others were not so lucky.
听起来真令人痛心 拉斯洛
That sounds very painful, László.
我们深表遗憾
We're terribly sorry for you.
迈克尔是我的朋友 也是我的律师 我们交情不错
Michael is my friend and my attorney, in that order.
迈克尔 你的律所 能否帮助加快这一进程
Michael, is this a process your firm could help to expedite?
恐怕没那么简单
It is not so simple, I'm afraid.
我妻子不能抛下我侄女一走了之
My wife cannot leave my niece behind because she is...
她还年幼 没有母亲又病重
young, motherless, and is very sick.
只有她们两人吗
It's just the two of 'em?
我很乐意为您询问一下当局
I'd be glad to make an enquiry on your behalf.
最近有个流离失所者法案
There's something called the Displaced Persons Act
刚刚生效
that's recently gone into effect.
它允许约二十万欧洲人
It will allow some 200,000 European persons
获得永久居留权
admission for permanent residence.
报纸上有相关报道
You can read about it in the paper now.
迈克尔的律所 代表了副总统的办公室
Michael's firm represents the office of the Vice President.
总统吗
The President?
美♥利♥坚♥合众国的
Of the United States.
恭喜啊
Congratulations.
周一来我们费城的办公室找我吧
Come see me in our Philadelphia office on Monday.
打这个电♥话♥ 我的助理会安排的
Telephone this line, and my assistant can arrange.
她会告诉你需要提供的材料
She'll tell you what we'll need you both to provide.
谢谢
Thank you.
不客气
You're welcome.
我们在书房♥用咖啡可以吗
I think we'll take coffee in the study, huh?
谢谢
Thank you.
我结过一次婚
I was married once.
她为我生了一对可爱的儿女
She gave me two beautiful children.
但我母亲玛格丽特和这对双胞胎
Nevertheless, my mother Margaret, and the twins
挤占了我
demanded my attention
最后一点宝贵的私人时间
every minute of my scarce personal time.
我前妻和我母亲的关系变得很尴尬
Things became awkward between my ex-wife and Margaret
于是我们分开了
so we separated.
和平分手
Amicably.
我母亲独自在罗切斯特将我抚养长大
Margaret raised me on her own in Rochester.
我们相依为命
It was just the two of us.
她的父母因为她未婚生育与她断绝了关系
Her parents had disowned her for a child out of wedlock.
除了我之后的这对儿女以外
She was my only real family,
她是我唯一的亲人
other than the twins later on in life, of course.
我跟你说 我母亲的双亲
I tell you, shortly before their death,
去世前不久
my mother's parents,
我不太想称呼他们为祖父母
I hesitate to call them my grandparents,
他们在看了一篇报道后 找到了我们母子俩
they reached out to Margaret and me after reading an article
这篇报道赞扬了我首家公♥司♥的成功
on the reported success of my first company.
事实上
In actual fact,
那家公♥司♥运作得并不好
we weren't doing that well at the time
不久后就倒闭了
and would soon shutter our doors,
但当时没有公开
but this was not yet public knowledge.
我想我们之前的接触已经让你了解到
I gather you conclude from our prior interactions I am blunt,
我心直口快 不会夸大其词或者多愁善感
not hyperbolic or particularly sentimental.
但我母亲
But my mother...
总是因为一点温情就心软
she was defenceless against their chumminess.
她觉得他们可能时日无多 久病缠身
She argued that they could very well be sick or dying
大概很需要钱
and... quite likely needed the money.
我不愿意看到她这个平凡务实的妇人
I didn't like seeing Margaret, an ordinarily pragmatic woman,
被这种陈词滥调打动
reduced to such bromidic assumptions.
我同意和他们见面
Still, I agreed to meet with them in person,
一方面是想安抚她
in part to appease her,
另一方面也是满足我对这些亲属的好奇
but also to satisfy the curiosities of my lineage.
这设计真是精妙
Do you know, it really is very clever.
空间环绕的方式 强行透视法
The way the space surrounds one, the forced perspective.
我也觉得
I think so, yes.
这让我想起了之前读过的短篇小说
It reminds me of a short story I once read.
讲述了一个永无止境的图书馆
It's about a never-ending library.
您目前有在忙什么项目吗 托斯先生
Are you working on anything at the moment, Mr Tóth?
一个保龄球馆
A bowling alley.
打扰一下 我正在
Pardon me, I was just in the middle
和我朋友谈心
of telling our friend here a story.
抱歉 我没注意到 请原谅
I'm so sorry. Not at all. Please excuse me.
刚说到你答应见他们
You agreed to see them.
我们在电♥话♥里
We exchanged pleasantries over the telephone
寒暄了一阵 然后我提议
and I offered to meet with them
在他们邻镇的
at their modest apartment residence
陋居会面
in a neighbouring town.
好笑的是我才意识到 原来这些年来他们就住在附近
I laughed to realise they'd been so nearby all those years.
在开车过去的路上
On the drive over...
我一直在思考
I had time to think.
总算想好了一个
And I finally arrived at a figure
我愿意付给他们的数目
I felt comfortable in offering the two of them,
毕竟无论我怎么想
seeing that they were, whether I liked it or not,
他们还是我们唯一的亲属
our only living relatives.
他们热情地款待了我
I was received hospitably,
我很快就提出我愿意给他们
so I swiftly moved to explain I'd made them out a cheque
开一张两万五千美金的支票
for the amount of $25,000.
电影精选列表