维尼,你知道我喜欢过得好我也希望我的家人过得好。
Vinnie, you know I like to live well and I want my family to live well.
但这间房♥子必须以生意为基础来经营。
But this house must be run on a business basis.
我必须知道我花了多少钱,干什么用。
I must know how much money I'm spending and what for.
例如,如果你还记得,一周前我给了你6美元去买♥♥一个新的咖啡壶。
For instance, if you recall, a week ago I gave you $6 to buy a new coffee pot.
是的,因为你把旧的弄坏了。
Yes, because you broke the old one.
你把它扔在地上了。
You threw it right on the floor.
我不是在说那个。现在我发现在我的——
I'm not talking about that. Now I find here among my--
克莱尔,打破了那个好咖啡壶真是太可惜了。
It was a pity to break that nice coffee pot, Clare.
它是从法国进口的。
It was imported from France.
那个小商店已经不再卖♥♥了。
And that little shop has stopped selling them.
他们说关税不允许他们这么做。
They said the tariff wouldn't let them.
这是你的错,因为你总是投票支持提高关税。
And that's your fault because you're always voting to raise the tariff.
关税保护美国不受外国廉价劳动力的影响。现在这个法案,
The tariff protects America against cheap foreign labor. Now this bill--
关税只会提高价格,这对每个人来说都很困难,尤其是农民。
The tariff does nothing but put up the prices and that's hard on everybody especially the farmer.
维尼,我希望你不要谈论你不知道的事情。
Vinnie, I wish to heaven you wouldn't talk about matters you don't know anything about.
我也知道他们的事。奎利格小姐说每个聪明的女人都应该有自己的见解
I do, too, know about them. Miss Guelig says that every intelligent woman should have some opinion--
请问奎利格小姐是谁?
Who may I ask is Miss Guelig?
她就是我跟你提过的时事评论员。
She's the current events woman I told you about.
每星期二的票价是一美元。
And the tickets are a dollar every Tuesday.
你的意思是说,一群没心没脑的女人花一美元一人听另一个女人叽里呱啦地讲当天发生的事?
Do you mean to tell me that a pack of idle-minded females pay a dollar apiece to hear another female gabble about the events of the day?
如果你想知道今天发生了什么,就听我说。
Listen to me if you want to know anything about the events of the day.
但是你太激动了,克莱尔。
But you get so excited, Clare.
而且,奎利格小姐说我们的总统你一直轻视的那个人,向上帝祈求指引。
And besides, Miss Guelig says that our President whom you're always belittling, prays to God for guidance.
维尼,那6块钱怎么了?
Vinnie, what happened to that $6?
6美元是什么?
What $6?
我给了你6美元买♥♥个新咖啡壶。
I gave you $6 to buy a new coffee pot.
我发现你在路易斯康格斯买♥♥了一台,还充了电。
Now I find that you apparently got one at Lewis & Congers and charged it.
这是他们的账单。“一个咖啡壶,5美元。”
Here's their bill. "One coffee pot, $5."
所以你欠我一美元,你可以马上交出来。
So you owe me a dollar, and you can hand it right over.
我不会做这种事的。
I'll do nothing of the kind.
你把那6美元怎么了?
What did you do with that $6?
克莱尔,现在不能告诉你,亲爱的。
Well, Clare, I can't tell you now, dear.
你当时为什么不问我?
Why didn't you ask me at the time?
我放弃了。
I give up.
哦,等一下。
Oh, wait a minute.
我花了4.5美元买♥♥那把新伞。
I spent $4.50 for that new umbrella.
现在我们有了一些进展。
Now we're getting somewhere.
一把伞,4.50美元。
One umbrella, $4.50.
我一定就是在那个星期付给托宾太太额外两天的洗衣费。
And that must have been the week I paid Mrs. Tobin for two extra days' washing.
-托宾太太。-再加2美元。
- Mrs. Tobin. - That's $2 more.
- 2美元。-这就弥补了…
- Two dollars. - That makes, that makes up..
6.50美元。
$6.50.
你还欠我50美分。
And that's another 50 cents you owe me.
我不欠你什么。
I don't owe you anything.
你欠我的是我的钱去哪了的解释。
What you owe me is an explanation of where my money is gone.
我尽量减少开支。
I do the best I can to keep down expenses.
你自己也知道,菲比表哥花的钱是我们的两倍。
You know yourself, Cousin Phoebe spends twice as much as we do.
别跟我提你表姐菲比。
Don't talk to me about your cousin Phoebe.
你说你自己的亲戚说得够多了。
Oh, you talk about your own relatives enough.
这不公平,维尼。
That's not fair, Vinnie.
当我谈论我的亲戚时,我批评他们。
When I talk about my relatives, I criticize them.
我甚至不能说菲比表姐。
I can't even speak of Cousin Phoebe.
"你想怎么说她都行。"
'You can speak of her all you want to.'
但我不会让菲比堂兄或其他任何人指挥我如何管理我的家。
But I won't have Cousin Phoebe or anyone else dictating to me how to run my house.
我对她的口授只字未提。
I didn't say a word about her dictating.
“克莱尔,你知道她不是那种——”
'Clare, you know she isn't that--'
你说,你说…
You said, you said..
我不知道你现在说了什么。
I don't know what you said now.
你从来就没说到点子上。
You never stick to the point.
现在,我们要逐项检查这本账簿。
Now, we're going over this account book item by item.
我找到一张38美元的账单。
I find here a bill for $38.
我不知道你对我有什么期望。
I don't know what you expect of me.
我累坏了,整天在楼梯上跑上跑下,试图照顾你的舒适,带大我们的孩子。
I tire myself out chasing up and down those stairs all day long trying to look after your comfort to bring up our children.
我负责修理和销♥售♥。
I do the mending and the marketing.
现在你又想让我成为一个专业的簿记员。
Now you want me to be an expert bookkeeper too.
维尼,我也想跟你讲道理,但是…
Vinnie, I want to be reasonable, but..
你不能理解吗?我这么做都是为了你好。
Can't you understand? I'm doing all this for your own good.
哦。
Oh.
嗯,我想我只能继续支付账单,希望我银行里有足够的钱来支付账单。
Well, I suppose I'll have to go ahead just paying the bills and hoping I've got enough money in the bank to meet them.
但这一切都很令人沮丧。
But it's all very discouraging.
我会努力做得更好的,克莱尔。
I'll try to do better, Clare.
这就是我的要求。
Well, that's all I'm asking.
好吧,我来开支票,签上名。
Well, I'll, uh, make out the checks and sign them.
但是,呃,呃,也许我没有权利签那些支票因为在上帝的眼中,我没有名字。
But, uh, ahem, maybe I haven't any right to sign those checks since in the sight of the Lord, I haven't any name.
这是正确的。
That's right.
克莱尔,把支票兑现
Clare, to make those checks good
你得马上接受洗礼。
you'll have to be baptized right away.
维尼,银行才不管我有没有受洗。
Vinnie, the bank doesn't care whether I've been baptized or not.
好吧,我在乎。
Well, I care.
不管劳埃德医生怎么说我都不确定我们是不是真的结婚了。
And no matter what Dr. Lloyd said I'm not sure we're really married.
维尼,我们有四个孩子。
Vinnie, we have four children.
如果我们现在不结婚,以后也不会了。
If we're not married now, we never will be.
克莱尔,劳埃德医生今天早上说
Clare, Dr. Lloyd said this morning--
就这样吧,维尼。
Well, that's all, Vinnie.
我想你最好去告诉惠特妮,让她等车。
Uh, I think you better go tell Whitney to watch for the cab.
你先给我1。5美元。
Not before you give me that $1.50.
——1.50美元吗?-你欠我的1块5。
- What $1.50? - That $1.50 you owe me.
我不欠你1。5美元。
I don't owe you any $1.50.
我给了你钱让你给我买♥♥咖啡壶不知怎么就变成了你的雨伞。
I gave you money to buy a coffee pot for me and somehow it turned into an umbrella for you.
克拉伦斯·戴,你是什么样的人?
Why, Clarence Day, what kind of man are you?
当你不朽的灵魂面临危险时,你还在为1.5美元讨价还价。
Quibbling about $1.50 when your immortal soul is in danger.
-还有,如果你-好吧
- And what's more, if you-- - Alright.
好吧,好吧。
Alright, alright.
嗯。
Hmm.
谢谢你,克莱尔。
Thank you, Clare.
现在账目又都清了。
Now the accounts are all straight again.
你在下面做什么?
What were you doing down there?
我在安装新的防盗报♥警♥器。
I'm setting up this new burglar alarm.
我自己发明的。
I invented it myself.
你有钱借我吗?
Have you got any money you can lend me?
不,你现在欠我30美分。
No, you owe me 30 cents now.
我把我的集邮册和约翰·威尔克斯·布思的那块手指给你。
Well, I'll give you my stamp collection and my piece of John Wilkes Booth's finger.
多少钱?
How much?
足够买♥♥套新衣服了。
Enough to get a new suit of clothes.
如果你能等一个月,等华盛顿专利局的消息,我可能就有钱了。
If you can wait a month till I hear from the patent office in Washington, I may be rich.
-哦,我不能等那么久。-也许我可以早点拿到。
- Oh, I can't wait that long. - Maybe I could get it sooner.
我明天要去查点别的事。
I'm going to look into something else tomorrow.
“想要的。一个精力充沛的年轻人出♥售♥家庭必需品。
"Wanted. An energetic young man to sell household necessity.
自♥由♥的委员会。应用312……”
Liberal commission. Apply 312.."
约翰,把这份工作给我吧。
John, let me have this job.
我为什么要把工作给你?他们很难得到。
Why should I give you my job? They're hard to get.
但是我得去买♥♥套新衣服。
But I've got to get a new suit of clothes.
也许我能给我们俩都找份工作。
Maybe I could get the job for both of us.
我去问问那个人。
I'll ask the man.
-出租车来了,爸爸。-谢谢你,惠特尼
- The cab's here, father. - Oh, t-thank you, Whitney.
维尼,科拉,出租车来了!
Uh, Vinnie, Cora, the cab's here!
约翰,上楼去拿他们的包。
Uh, John, uh, go up and get their bags.
是的,先生。
Yes, sir.
先生,这是火车上的午餐。
Here's the lunch for the train, sir.
好吧,拿去出租车上。
Well, take it out to the cab.
-那是谁?——这是艾伦。
- Who's that one? - It's Ellen.
迪莉娅昨天离开。
Delia left yesterday.
我不知道你妈妈在哪找到的。
I don't know where your mother finds them.
维尼,别让克莱尔来操心我们。
Now, Vinnie, don't you let Clare worry about us.
我们有足够的时间。
We have plenty of time.
把包拿出去,约翰。
Oh, take the bags right on out, John.
-是的,先生-再见,克拉伦斯
- Yes, sir. - Well, goodbye, Clarence.
再次见到你真是太好了。
It was so nice to see you again.
再见,堂兄柯拉。
Goodbye, Cousin Cora.
再见,惠特尼。现在你要乖乖的。
Goodbye, Whitney. Now you be a good boy.
电影精选列表