剧集 | 英国皇家科学院圣诞讲座:如何在太空中生存(2015) | 导航列表
outside the protection of the magnetic field
然后太阳耀斑 太阳离子流事件爆发
and one of these solar flares, solar particle events, happens,
你会怎样呢
what happens to you?
那样 你会被辐射到
So, you would be irradiated.
你可能有轻微的症状 辐射病
And you could have a mild effect - radiation sickness,
定向障碍 但也可能是致命的
disorientation - but it could be fatal.
提姆·匹克的同事刚刚出舱行走
And Tim Peake's crew has just gone out on a spacewalk.
这类事件发生时如果他们正在舱外太空行走
Would this sort of event have been a risk for themif they were outside
对他们来说会有危险吗
their vehicle on that spacewalk?
肯定有
It would have been.
所以 当太阳粒子事件发生时
So, they would not have been allowed to go out on a spacewalk
他们是不会被允许出舱行走的
had there been a solar particle event happening.
那样太危险了
They are so dangerous.
他们必须待在空间站内
They would have to have been inside the space station
还要转移到能获得更多防护的区域
and also gone to an area where they get more shielding.
为了阻隔这些粒子
Because to stop them,
你需要能够
what you want is material that the particles
吸收粒子撞击的材料
can run into, collide with,
最后无法触及你的身体
and then not reach your body.
这听起来像个灾难
This sounds like a disaster.
我们想去探索太阳系的其他部分
We want to go exploring the rest of the solar system.
但听起来 好像我们就应该
It sounds to me like we should just
待在家里
stay at home and cower underneath
尽可能待在地球磁场和大气层之下
the Earth's magnetic field and our atmosphere, if we can.
这是项巨大的挑战 如果想成功地向火星进发
It's a huge challenge and I think it's the main challenge to overcome
这是我们需要克服的主要挑战
if we do want to successfully move out towards Mars.
我们需要保证人的安全
We've got to keep humans safe.
听上去我们并不能保证
It doesn't sound like we can.
我们不可能只用铅来制♥造♥飞船
We can't build a spaceship out of lead.
我们如何进行防护呢
What will we do about shielding?
有些人考虑
Some people are thinking
使用飞船也需要用到的水
about using the water that you would need.
-水是很好的防护材料 -是的
- Water's a good shield? - That would be a good shield.
事实证明
In fact, it turns out that
含有如氢这类轻粒子的材料
having a material that has light particles in it,
可以作为很好的防护
like hydrogen, is quite a good approach.
水 虽然很重
Water, OK, it weighs quite a lot,
但如果能完全覆盖飞船的船壁
but it would make a good shield
就能起到良好的防护效果
if you had it running through the walls of your spacecraft.
露西 非常感谢
Lucie, thank you so much.
现在 不仅需要评估空间站内的
Now, there's not just measuring the radiation environment
辐射环境
inside the space station.
他们还要观察空间站外
They're having a look at what effects that has on life
辐射对于生物体有何影响
outside the space station
这就会使用这台特殊设备
and particularly with this particular facility here.
这是曝露设施
This is the exposed facility
也是空间站中提姆·匹克正在进行的
and it's a British-led experiment
由英国主导的实验
up on the space station now with Tim Peake.
它被带到太空
This has been taken up
并被安置在空间站外
and bolted onto the outside of the space station
那很棒
and it's pretty cool.
设备内有很多隔层 它被置于空间站外
Inside, you have layers, and it's outside the space station
将其内容物暴露在辐射之下
and they're exposing the contents of this to radiation.
这里面有真菌 细菌
Now, inside there are fungi, there are bacteria,
还有些种子 分层放置
there's even some seeds, and they've layered it
这样按照辐射环境
so that one layer is
其中一层的辐射量与在火星上相同
the same as Mars in terms of radiation environment,
一层与在月球上相同
one layer is the moon,
另外一层就是在无防护的宇宙真空中
and one is just the vacuum of unprotected space.
你们可能以为一切物质都会在那种环境中死掉
And you think that everything should die up there,
但有一些物质表现得相当好
but some of this stuff does reasonably well,
尤其有一种生物
and there is one creature in particular
在辐射下的表现相当惊人
that is just incredible in radiation.
如果它们没逃掉的话 我们这里正好有一些
We've got some right here, if they haven't run away.
让我们来看看 这些动物属于缓步动物门
Let's have a look. These are tardigrades.
这是种超级顽强的生物
This is a super-tough creature.
也许你觉得可以轻易解决掉这种生物
You think you'd do well against this creature
但并不能 就算煮沸 它也"毫发无损"
but you wouldn't, cos you can boil it and it says, "Meh."
或是将其冰冻至接近绝对零度
And you can freeze it down to nearly absolute zero, apparently,
它毫不在乎
and it doesn't care.
可以将它置于高压中 依然毫不在乎
You can subject it to huge pressure and it doesn't care.
你可以不给它宇航服 就将其送入太空
You can send it to space without a spacesuit.
平心而论 为它们制♥作♥宇航服是相当困难的
To be fair, it's very hard to make a spacesuit for these things.
最令人惊讶的是它可以承受大量的
And, most amazingly of all, you can subject it to huge doses
电离辐射 甚至它还有点喜欢辐射
of ionising radiation and it kind of likes it.
那是缓步动物 也被称作水熊
That is a tardigrade. They're also called "water bears"
有人会觉得它们挺可爱
and some people think they're a bit cute.
我觉得它们实在有点怪异
I think they're just kind of weird,
真的 但它们超级顽强
really, but they're super tough.
缓步动物能在人类无法承受的
Now, the tardigrade can survive doses of radiation
辐射剂量下存活
that none of us can,
辐射对人是极不好的
and radiation is super bad for you.
它能在分子水平上损伤细胞
It can damage your cells at the molecular level,
使DNA DNA的复♥制♥能力
cause all sorts of problems with your DNA
及其产生新健康细胞的能力
and your DNA's ability to replicate
出现各种各样的问题
and produce healthy new cells.
那么 缓步动物是怎样
So, how does the tardigrade manage to survive
在我们无法承受的环境中存活的呢
when we would do really badly?
为了解释它 我需要不止一位 两位 三位
And for that, I am going to need not one, not two, not three,
而是四位志愿者
but four volunteers.
让我们来这边
Let's go here.
让我来看下 你
And...let's have...you.
跟我来
OK, come on.
前排的 你 好的
OK, and... OK, off the front row... OK, how about you? Good.
这边再来一个
And one more from over here.
你 好的 都到这来
How about you? OK, come on, let's go.
很好 站这边
Ok, over this side.
接下来 你俩是水熊队
OK, so you are going to be Team Tardigrade.
这是水熊的双螺旋DNA
This is tardigrade DNA double helix.
你俩是人类队
And you are going to be Team Human,
看起来是桩好差事 但别高兴得太早
which you would think would be good, but just wait.
这是人类的双螺旋DNA
This is a human DNA double helix.
你们现在是DNA的修复机制
You are the repair mechanisms for this DNA
一会 我们要对它们进行特殊辐射
and in a minute, we're going to expose them to some radiation
然后你们要修复辐射造成的损伤
and you are going to try and repair them.
不过我们应该先远离辐射区
But we should get out of the way of the radiation,
因为这片区域都将受到辐射
cos we're about to irradiate this whole field,
快 跟我走 咱们先躲一下
so come on, follow me, quick, let's get out the way.
快 快 快走
Come on, come on, let's go.
其余同学 我们离开这片区域后
Now, the rest of you, while we've cleared the areas,
请准备好你们的放射性粒子
should prepare your radioactive particles.
-都准备好了吗 -准备好了
- Everyone ready? - Yes!
好的
Ok.
三 二 一 开始
Three, two, one. Irradiate!
好了 回来吧
OK, come on, come on, come on.
刚才只是有些小破坏
OK, there was a bit of damage there
接着发生了太阳粒子事件
and then there was a solar particle event!
好了 我觉得你们可能需要点帮助
OK, so I think you might need some help with these.
会有人协助你们进行修复
So, we'll get some people on to help you.
但愿你们记得它之前的样子
I hope you remember what they looked like before.
因为你们必须将他们修复的和之前一模一样
Cos I want you to build exactly the same DNA helix.
水熊队的修理师们 准备好了吗
So, repairers, Team Tardigrade, are you ready?
是的
Yes.
-人类队 准备好了吗 -准备好了
- Team Human, are you ready? - Yes!
他们很有气势 已经进入游戏状态了
They brought it. They brought their game.
好了 三 二 一 开始
OK, three, two, one, repair!
他们正在努力地修复辐射造成的损伤
So, right now, they are trying to repair the damage that was done
老实说 你们这辐射水平不怎么样
by your, frankly, not very good irradiation.
他们正努力重建先前的模型
They are trying to build the towers that existed beforehand.
现在 水熊队
Now, Team Tardigrade here...
我觉得做得还可以
剧集 | 英国皇家科学院圣诞讲座:如何在太空中生存(2015) | 导航列表