I became this chef
回望过去 却面向未来的主厨
that was looking backwards in order to look forward.
点单 加急 肉丸 蛤蜊和烤鲜鱼
New ticket. Order fire. Meatball, clam and a fish toast.
有一天 玛莎玛决定要改变菜单
One day, Mashama decided we are changing this menu.
从现在开始 我们要做的是
What we're gonna do from this point forward
回归非裔美国人的传统
is reclaim African-American history,
我们要把南方美食发扬光大
and we're going to advance Southern food.
在那一刻 她所有的经历 传统
In that moment, all those experiences, her heritage,
读过的书 从前的记忆 纽约的生活
her readings, her memories, her life in New York City,
全都涌现出来
it all came together for her.
她会端着一道菜来找我 说"尝尝这个"
She would come to me with a dish, and she would say, "Taste this,"
然后转身离去 不再有丝毫的犹豫
and she would walk away. There was no doubt anymore.
我已经准备好 描绘我的南方传统
I was ready to portray my Southern heritage.
我开始专注于烹饪米饭 南方本地新鲜蔬菜
I started focusing on rice, fresh Southern vegetables,
螃蟹 虾和牡蛎
crab, shrimp and oysters.
然后 我想专注于儿时的美食
And then I wanted to focus on young Mashama.
因此 客人用餐完毕后 我们清理餐盘
So, after the guests have dinner, we clear their plates,
端上一份"激淋"
and we give them a thrill.
本地的客人会说
Locals would come in and be like,
"什么 你居然知道激淋 怎么会"
"What? You know what a thrill is? What?"
这让我感觉很好
That made me feel good
因为他们明白 我的根落在这里
because they understand that I have roots here.
这是我儿时珍爱的美味
It's a little part of my history on the plate.
只为让你体会萨凡纳的特别之处
Just in case you were wondering why Savannah's such a special place.
-光照充足 光照充足 -温暖宜人
- Full of the sunshine. Full of sunshine. - And they're so warm.
既然你放在我手里
Yeah. See, you put it in my hands.
-我就得吃了 -好 吃吧
- I'm gonna eat it. - Good, eat it.
你住在纽约吗
You live in the city?
以前是 现在我住在佐治亚州
I used to. Now, I live in Georgia.
比起纽约 节奏肯定慢多了
Definitely a slower pace than New York.
他说 "我们在桌上磨胡椒" 我说"真的吗"
He's like, "We were cracking pepper at the table." I'm like, "Really?"
-咸鲜味 -咸鲜味
- Salty fresh. - Salty fresh.
是啊
Yeah.
拿着 我请你吃 小心点
Here's this. I'll trade you. Be careful with it.
我还记得玛莎玛跳上银河500的驾驶座的时候
I remember when Mashama jumped in the front seat of the Galaxie 500.
我也想到那个了
I was thinking about that.
那时你个子矮 两脚甚至
Your legs weren't even long enough
够不到踏板
to touch the pedals.
我回头一看
I had got my back turned,
那车已经开上街了
and the car is rolling down the street.
玛莎玛从小就很有主见
Mashama was determined to do things her way.
是的
Mmm-hmm. Yeah.
从很小就一直
She had a strong personality
-很有个性 -对
- even as a baby. - Yeah.
我记得那边有座公园 我女儿就是在那里的...
I remember the park was there, and that's where...
一座吉姆·克劳主义时期的建筑里
Our daughter is head chef
吉姆·克劳主义时期: 19世纪下半叶至20世纪上半叶 美国统治阶级对黑人实行种族隔离和种族歧视的一套政策和措施
担任主厨
in a Jim Crow-era building.
她让我们看到了一种全新的生活方式
She opened our eyes to a whole new way of how we were gonna make it.
这是我女儿努力开创的全新生活方式
This is my daughter that is blazing new trails.
-如果你祖父母还在世... -对啊
- If your grandparents were here... - Yeah.
-你外婆同样会为你骄傲 -天啊
- Your grandmothers would be equally proud. - Oh, man.
他们一定会大吃一惊
They would just be amazed.
你妈 她肯定会唠叨个不停
Your ma-ma, she would have talked you to death.
-她会很开心... -是啊
- She'd be giggling... - Yeah.
她肯定非常高兴 会使劲拍你的膝盖 天啦
She would have been so happy. She'd be slapping you on the knee, boy.
看到玛莎玛出名 我们由衷感到高兴
It is really exciting to see Mashama be celebrated.
她向萨凡纳展示了一种全新的方式
She opened up an idea for Savannah of what was possible here,
她把她的领悟
and she's sharing that light
与生长在这里的祖祖辈辈分享
with many men and women who came before her,
这些人不过是缺乏机遇
who just didn't have the chance.
一进到这座建筑
When I'm in this building,
我情不自禁地去理解历史对它的影响
I can't help but understand the historical impact that it holds.
在那个时代 我的家人甚至不能在这里随意走动
My family members would not have been able to walk freely in this space,
而如今 我却是这里的行政总厨 餐厅的合伙人
and now to be the executive chef here, to be a partner in this restaurant,
这让人懂得 即便是萨凡纳这样的旧堡垒
you understand that change is willing to happen
也在渐渐改变
in a place like Savannah.
与此同时 前路仍漫漫
And at the same time, there's so much to do.
我才刚刚热身 等着大展拳脚
I'm just getting warmed up.
剧集 | 主厨的餐桌(2015) | 导航列表