我要提的是汤姆·克鲁斯的电影
And I was gonna mention the Tom Cruise movie.
我喜欢那部电影
I love that movie.
对吧
Right?
亚当 你觉得这本书怎么样
Adam, what did you think of the book?
我觉得很棒
I thought it was great.
很好 很好
Good, good.
但是 你认为该书的主题是什么
But uh, what'd you think about the themes?
赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯真正要说的是什么
What was H. G. Wells commenting on?
外星人入侵很糟糕
Uh, alien invasions are bad?
好的 这是一个很好的观点
Ok, that's a good point.
但是怎么解释殖民♥主♥义的问题
But what about the issues of colonialism?
大英帝国当时正在进行大量重大行动
I mean, the British Empire was making big moves at that time.
没关系 有时外星人指的单纯是外星人
Fine, but sometimes an alien is just an alien.
有时外星人实指英格兰国王
Sometimes an alien is the king of England.
你是说我们不应该
Are you saying we shouldn't comment
评论小说的深层次主题吗
on the deeper themes of novels?
不 我没那样说
No, I'm not saying that,
但你也不想过度思考那些事吧
but you also don't wanna over think things.
这个故事是关于争夺地球之战的双方
This story is about two sides in a battle for Earth.
就像一场星际冰球比赛
It's like an intergalactic hockey game.
但这也是关于人类生存之战
But it's also about the battle for survival of the human race.
而且 这些外星人在使用热射线
I mean, these aliens are using heat rays
摧毁整个城镇
to decimate entire towns.
我读过很多关于冰球的书
Now, I've read a lot of books about hockey
坦率地说 我看不到任何相通点
and frankly I don't see an equivalent.
你从来没被冰球砸过脸
You've never taken a puck to the face.
说的对 但我认为我们应该再深入一点
Fair enough, but I just think we should dig a little deeper.
不会比对活着的渴望更深的
It doesn't get deeper than the basic urge to survive.
是的 所以你在讨论重压下人类的本能
Yes, so you're talking a basic human reaction to stress.
而你指的是战斗还是逃跑
And you're talking about fight or flight.
正是
Exactly.
我还是认为你没理解我要表达的点
I still say you're missing the point I was trying to make.
亚当 过去了
Adam, let it go.
好吧
Ok.
但下周《德古拉》的时候我可不会手软了
But next week when we do Dracula I am not backing down.
你刚刚是手软了吗
That was you backing down?
也不想想我跟别人产生分歧都是什么下场
Compared to how most of my disagreements with people end?
真善良啊
Good boy.
我觉得很棒
I thought it was great.
玛莉 这是你在交流会上说的最多的一次
Mary, that's the most I've ever seen you talk in Book Chat.
是吗
Well...
你们俩真是天生一对
You two are perfect together.
泰勒 我们晚餐要迟到了
Uh, Tyler, we're late for dinner.
我本来想问的
Oh, um... I was gonna ask you guys
你们想不想去吃点东西
if you wanted to go grab something.
我们每周例行去父母家吃晚饭
Oh, weekly dinner at our parent's house.
欢迎你来
You're welcome to come.
我不确定
Oh, I don't know.
是啊
Yeah.
真的 只是我们四个人说些家庭琐事
Really, it's just the four of us, family thing-
他们会欢迎你的
They'll love it.
我爸是冰球迷 我妈总是做太多饭
I mean, dad's a huge hockey fan and mom always cooks too much.
完美 来吧
It's perfect. Come on.
说真的 这两样放一起很奇妙
Seriously, these two were fantastic together.
你们会喜欢播客的
You guys are gonna love the podcast.
我觉得你在商店里尝试新事物
Well, I think it's great you're trying new things
很好 亲爱的
in the store, honey.
你不这么认为吗 保罗
Don't you think so, Paul?
我不知道
I don't know.
尝试和事实还是有区别的
There's something to be said for tried and true.
也许两者可兼得
Maybe there's room for both.
我在想也许我们可以增加一个
You know, I was thinking maybe we could add some sort of
茶点供应柜台
refreshment station.
给人们提供水或者咖啡
Somewhere where people could get water or... coffee.
听起来不错
That sounds wonderful.
听起来难以置信
That sounds unbelievable.
我乐于接受新思想
I am open to new ideas.
真的
I am!
当然
Sure.
你很安静 亚当
You're pretty quiet, Adam.
我只是享受其中
I'm just enjoying this.
就像看一场精彩的比赛
It's like watching a really good play.
所以你从小到大的
So family dinners weren't like this
家庭聚餐不是这样的吗
when you were growing up?
不
No.
不 我在寄养制度下长大
No, I grew up in the foster care system
所以我总是从一个地方搬到另一个地方
so I was always bouncing from place to place.
我不知道你经历过这些
I didn't know that.
没什么大不了的
It wasn't a big deal.
有一个家庭非常喜欢冰球
There was this one family that was really into hockey
所以到头来 还是件好事
so, ultimately, it was a good thing.
太好了
That's wonderful.
你应该为你所达到的成就
You should be really proud
感到骄傲 亚当
of all that you've accomplished, Adam.
你们知道我应该为什么感到骄傲吗
You know what I'd be really proud about?
就是再多吃点这些土豆
Is finishing more of these potatoes.
放开吃
Go ahead.
谢谢您
Thank you.
那么 球队的情况如何
So, how's things going with the team?
我还在球队里 所以应该算是不错吧
I'm still on the team so I'm taking that as a victory.
对
Right.
和我姐姐一起工作怎么样
How's working with my sister?
好极了
Great.
美滋滋的
It's just peachy.
没关系 亚当
It's ok, Adam.
我爱她 但和一个总能
I love her, but it can be frustrating dealing with someone
找到一本书证明她是对的
who can always find a book
而自己是错的人打交道很沮丧
to prove she's right and you're wrong.
没错
Yes.
这些书怎么回事
What is up with the books?
我不知道
I don't know.
你得问我爸
You'll have to ask dad.
有张她在婴儿床上的照片
There's a picture of her in a crib
举着一本《小妇人》
holding a copy of Little Women.
以女性角色为主的美国长篇小说 强调女权意识和个人尊严与自立自律观念
所以她很早开始就这样了吗
So she started early, huh?
是的
Yep.
是我认识的最聪明的人
Smartest person I know.
除了面对各种关系时
Except for when it comes to relationships.
什么意思
Meaning...?
正如她书中的英雄也从来不爱社交什么的
None of them could hold up to the heros in her books.
你邀请的他回家吃饭吗
You invited him home for dinner?
泰勒邀请的
Tyler invited him.
但结果似乎还挺不错
But it ended up being kind of ok.
这是你能给出的很高的赞扬了
That is high praise coming from you.
你开始喜欢他了
You're starting to like him.
我没有
I am not.
反正不是媒体上说的那样
Well, not in the way the local paper is inferring, anyway.
我也没说是那样
I didn't mean it that way.
你们在一起的时间很多
You are spending a lot of time together.
互相对着干
Making each other nuts.
有些人可能会称之为激♥情♥
Some might call that passion.
那他们可就大错特错了
Some shouldn't call it that 'cause they're wrong.
我觉得你们两很合适
I think you guys are good for each other.
我不仅仅是从公♥关♥的角度来说的
I'm not talking about just from a PR perspective.
珍妮特 这都是为了我的书店好吗
Janet, this is all about the bookstore for me, alright?
你看 现在
Now, look.
销♥售♥额是在上升 但还远远不够
Sales are up but they're nowhere near what they need to be.
耐心点
Patience.
相信我 相信过程
Trust in me, trust in the process,
一切都会好起来的
电影精选列表