And I saw her get mad.But she knew he was right.
我看到她很气愤。但她知道,他是对的。
And I knew, we all knew he was right.
而我们都知道,他是对的。
Lori was a stabilizing force in his life.
洛莉,是他生活中的稳定力量。
She's a special gal.
她是个特殊的女人。
She's strong,unwavering commitment.
她是坚强,不动摇的保证。
I think Lori saved his life actually, as a teenager,if you ask me.
如果你问我的话,我认为洛莉实际上救了他的命,在他十几岁的时候。
I think that if Michael hadn't really, you know,
我觉得,如果迈克尔没有真的,这你懂,
been kind of swept up in that relationship as a teenager--
在青少年时期,就陷入了那段感情...
you're talking 14,15 years old,that's a young person--
要知道,那是他们才是14、15岁的时候...
I think that Michael could have gone
a completely different direction.
我觉得,迈克尔可能会走一条完全不同的路。
Probably God at work there,honestly,
whith that relationship blooming.
老实说,也许是天意使然,让他你们的关系开花结果。
And who would have thought that at 14 and 15 years old,
you know,they'd be married today,
在他们14、15岁时,谁能想到,他们白头偕老至今天,
40-- after all they've been through, I don't know,
48 years,almost going on 50 years.
他们经历了40多年...48年,我记不清,差不多有50年之久了。
But that relationship at that time in Michael's life
但在迈克尔生命的那个阶段,这种关系
gave him a reason to get focused on something.
给了他一个专注于某件事的理由。
He did better in school.He did better in sports.
他在学校做的更好。他在体育方面,表现得更好。
He got really into really playing sports in school.
他在学校就非常喜欢体育运动。
Of course,then when he went into,
when he went to University of Rhode Island,
当然,当他得以考入罗德岛大学,
the army and the ROTC program was another godsend for him,
进入陆军,进入后备军官训练计划,都是天赐之福,
you know, for a rambunctious guy like Mike Flynn.
要知道,他可是一个难以管教的,迈克.弗林。
I went to kindergarten through eighth grade in one Catholic school,
我从幼儿园到八年级,一直都在天主教的学校中度过,
and then didn't go to a public school
till I was in the ninth grade.
直到九年级,才上了公立学校。
That was a big eye-opener for me, for sure.
那确实让我大开眼界。
And that's when I first met Mike, too,
that summer going into the ninth grade.
那也是我第一次见到迈克的时候,那年夏天我要上九年级了。
You know, we didn't date in ninth grade or anything.
你要知道,我们在九年级时,都没有过约会。
We just kind of went steady for two weeks,
and then we went our separate ways.
我们只是保持关系,稳定了两个星期,然后又分手了。
I mean, I always saw him in the halls in high school,
我是说,高中时我总在学校走廊里看到他,
but we kind of had our own life the next two years,
但在接下来的两年里,我们有了自己的生活,
and then our senior year,we got back together again.
大四那年,我们又在一起了。
We both said that night that if we go out with each other again,
this is it.
那晚,我们都说过,能否我们再约会,就这样了。
You're not, you know,no, no straying.
你没有,你知道,没有,没有“走弯路”。
So when Lori and I were married,
during the wedding ceremony,the priest,
所以当洛莉和我结婚的时候,在婚礼上的牧师,
who was also a cousin of ours,Philip, Father Philip.
也是我们的堂兄,菲利普,菲利普神父。
There's a part of the beach and we call it the Rock.
我们海滩上有一部分,我们管它叫做“岩石”。
We would go spend a lot of time surfing there.
我们会花很多时间,在那里冲浪。
He described Lori as that rock, unmovable.
他把洛莉形容为那块石头,不可移♥动♥。
He described me as the tide.
他说我,就像潮水。
I think my husband is the rock, really.
我觉得我丈夫是磐石,真的。
I think we're a great team together.
我觉得,我们是一个很棒的“组合”。
I can't say that I never lost it during this whole thing.
我不能说,在这整个过程中,我从未失去过它。
There were times that I was pretty rock-bottom.
有几次我处于低谷。
And he always was the strength that I needed to go on.
而他一直是我继续前进的力量。
I mean, he always had the best-case scenarios that we would,
you know,he would always put it in a better light than I could.
我是说,对于我们来说,他总是有最好的愿景,他总是比我看得更清楚。
And there could have been no better description in our marriage.
在我们的婚姻中,没有比这更好的描述了。
You know, we're getting ready to go into 42 years of marriage.
你知道,我们正准备步入42年的婚姻。
You know,we've known each other since we were 13 years old.
你知道,我们从13岁就认识了。
A steady rock in this ebb and flow of life.
在生命的潮起潮落中,它是一块稳固的岩石。
And I knew that I could depend on her to do a lot of things that--
我知道我可以依靠她做很多...
that I was not going to be able to do.
我做不到的事情。
And many of the times 'cause I'm deployed.
很多时候,因为我被派遣了。
Uh, prayer and God came back into my life,into both of our lives,
祈祷和上帝又回到了我的生活中,回到了我们俩的生活中,
because we were at wit's end sometimes.
因为有时候,我们真是“无计可施”。
And that was one of the only things that we knew we had.
祈祷上帝,是我们唯一知道,我们拥有的东西之一。
May the rain fall soft upon your fields,and until we meet again--
愿雨点轻柔地落在你的土地上,直到我们再次相见...
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.
愿上帝把你握在他的手心。
- Amen. Amen. - Slainte. Slainte. Slainte.
-阿门。阿门。 -干杯。干杯。干杯。
The house that we ended up growing up in,
in Rhode Island,belonged to my grandfather.
我们在罗德岛长大的房♥子,是我祖父留下的。
We came back to this house that had one bedroom,
one little tiny bathroom,a little tiny kitchen.
我们回到了这个,只有一间卧室,一个小的浴室,一个小的厨房♥的房♥子。
All the boys were in, uh,were in bunk beds,
男孩子们都睡在上下铺床上,
(克莱尔.弗林。艾克特,迈克尔的姐姐,记者,合法辩护基金会成员)
and my parents slept in the living room--
我的父母睡在起居室里...
there was a pullout couch-- for a while.
有一张在睡觉时,可以拉出的沙发床。
There were three oldest,three middle,and three youngest.
有三个最大的,三个中等的,三个最小的。
(玛丽.奥尼尔,迈克尔的妹妹,祈祷战士)
And I was part of the three youngest,
我是三个最小的孩子之一,
so I would be in the bathroom,
所以,我会睡在浴室里,
and I would never get like it alone.
我从不认为,那是我独自的地方。
I would be scrubbing my teeth and so the boys would come in,
我在刷牙时,男孩们就会进来,
you know, "I gotta go," because it was one bathroom.
你知道,“我得离开了”,因为只有一个卫生间。
But that bathroom door,it got knocked down a few times.
但浴室的门,被撞开过好几次。
Here's, you know,nine kids, 11 people in a 1,200-square-foot house.
你知道,有9个孩子,11个人,挤住在这座1200平方英尺的房♥子里。
So our backyard,our playground,
was the ocean,was the Atlantic Ocean.
所以我们的后院,我们的游乐场,就是大海,就是大西洋。
My parents were great.They just let us go.
我的父母很了不起。他们放手让我们活动。
The beach was there.
海滩就在那儿。
The water was an outlet for us.
我家一出门,就是海水。
I mean, I'm paddling out when I was seven or eight years old,
我是说,我七、八岁的时候就,就开始划桨了,
in the lineup in big waves off Ruggles Avenue.
就在冲向拉格斯大道的巨浪的潮头。
It was literally, you could run out in our backyard,
pick up a, you know,a throwin' rock,
可以这么说,在我家后院,捡起一块石头,扔出去,
and you could throw it into the ocean.It was that close.
你能把石头扔进大西洋中。就这么近。
And we started to realize,"Hey, there's guys out there surfing."
我们开始意识到,“嘿,有几个人在冲浪。”
And we could swim like fish.
我们会像鱼一样游泳。
And the kids would be swarming all over the beach.
孩子们都聚集在海滩上玩耍。
I mean, there'd be like five or six of them.That,
that was a lot of fun.
我是说,大概有五六个人。那,那真的很有趣。
It really was a lot of fun.
那太有趣了。
You know,we would go surf all winter, surf in hurricanes.
我们整个冬天都去冲浪,在飓风中冲浪。
And so, it taught us a lot
about endurance,being in the ocean for hours.
所以,这教会了我们很多,关于忍♥耐力的东西,在海里呆上几个小时。
There's a lot of people that surf,
but those of us that find it as a spiritual thing...
有很多人冲浪,但我们是把冲浪,当作精神活动的人...
In our family,it's a spiritual thing.
在我们家,这是精神上的事。
It's very, very powerful.
它非常、非常强烈。
You have to respect the power.
你必须敬重这种力量。
What is it telling you at times?
它有时会告诉你什么?
If you're out in big surf,that, you know,
your life could turn in a second.
如果你在巨浪中,你知道,你的生活可能会在一秒钟内发生变化。
Taking off on a wave,wiped out... been dragged down
and felt like, I'm out here all alone.
乘着波浪起飞,竭尽全力...我被拖垮了,感觉我独自一人在这里。
That is a respect that I learned,
and I still have it to this day.
这是我学到的一种尊重,直到今天,我仍然身受其益。
You got to remember,your entire adult life is in the military.
你要记住,你的整个成年生活,都在军队里。
All you know is a command structure like the military.
你所知道的,就是如同在军队里的命令结构。
You don't have a lot of experience in business.
You're getting things set up.
你在商业方面没有什么经验。你要从头开始。
You know,he wants to work.
你知道,他想工作。
He still wants to have,you know,service to country again.
你要知道,他还想再次为国家效力。
Michael Jr. was actually working for a company
that I was running at the time,
小迈克尔当时在我经营的一家公♥司♥工作,
and he came to me and said,"I'm going to go work for my dad,
we're going to start a consulting group."
他走过来对我说:“我要去给我爸爸找事儿干,我们要开一家咨♥询♥公♥司♥。”
Companies were hiring him for advisory work.
一些公♥司♥雇他做咨♥询♥工作。
I think he was on some boards of some private equity groups.
我想,他是一些私募股权集团的董事会成员。
Normal stuff that generals do when they get out of service.
这是一般将军们退休后,所做的正常工作。
We essentially formed a business together.
我们一起成立了一家公♥司♥。
(儿子小迈克尔.弗林)
He was just like, "You want to go into business together?"
他说:“你想一起做生意吗?”
I said, "Absolutely."I mean, this was a guy
that I had grown up idolizing my entire life,
我说:“当然。” 我寻思着,这是一个我从小到大一直崇拜的人,
and this was a chance for me to,
to get to know my father, you know? And...
这对我来说,是一个了解我父亲的机会,你知道吗?而且...
No, it was-- it was... It was, uh...
不,那是...那是...那是...呃...
it was an opportunity I knew I had to take,
that I wanted to take.
我知道,我必须抓住这个机会,我想抓住这个机会。
I love the idea of being able to work with him
我喜欢能和他一起工作的想法,
because for many, many years of his life, I wasn't around,
with military and deployments and moves and, and,
因为在他生命中的很多很多年里,我都不在他身边,从军,派遣,搬家,
and schools and high schools and baseball games and--
and birthdays and hell,
升学,高中,棒球比赛...生日,还有该死的,
I almost didn't make it to his wedding.
我差点,没能参加他的婚礼。
I flew in from Afghanistan the night before his wedding.
我在他婚礼的前一天晚上,从阿富汗飞过来。
And I was lucky that I made it.
我很幸运,我赶到了。
电影精选列表