剧集 | 最危险的动物(2020) | 导航列表
it's actually about identity.
如果你是养子女
When you're adopted,
你会穷尽一生编造自己真实身份的各种故事
you spend your whole life making up stories of who you are.
那些故事当然不可能是真的
They're never right, of course.
但你无论如何都需要一个说法
But you have to have a story.
你必须要有自己的身份
You can't just not have an identity.
所以只能通过编造来实现
So the only thing you can do is make it up.
《史上最危险的动物》
寻找父亲...
以及找到十二宫杀手
我想读这本书的原因之一
One of the reasons I wanted to read the book
是因为我觉得
was because I thought at last
琳恩·奥弗顿
朱蒂的妹妹
我终于能弄清楚事情的真♥相♥了
I'm gonna find out what really happened.
但从一开篇
But it starts off right away with
书里就充斥着不实和捏造的信息
things that are, are inaccurate and fabricated.
第一次通读完全书
I think my hair was on fire,
第一节
冰激淋罗曼史
1961年10月
厄尔·范贝斯特坐在长椅上
我都有点摸不着头脑
the first read-through of the book.
一位年轻美丽的女孩
蹦蹦跳跳地
走下校车
书里用大量笔墨描述了
And there was a lot of talk about
下校车的情节
getting off a school bus.
但是根本没有校车这一说
There were no school buses
我们下的不是校车
We didn't get off a school bus.
校车是给小学生配备的
School buses were for elementary school children.
我可以告诉你 我的初版手稿
I'll tell you, my first manuscript
有轨电车
写的是有轨电车
says street car.
但有一天 我母亲告诉我
One day, my mother told me,
"亲爱的 我记错了 不是有轨电车
"honey, I was wrong about the street car.
我下的是校车"
I got off the school bus."
我没有凭空捏造
I didn't, I didn't create that,
我做改动也不是因为看到了十二宫杀手
I didn't create that having known that, the Zodiac Killer,
嘲弄警方说要枪杀一群
taunted the police threatening to shoot kiddies
蹦蹦跳跳下校车的小孩
as they come bouncing off a school bus.
是我母亲纠正的我
My mother corrected me.
朱蒂明确跟我说
Jude told me specifically
我之前以为是电车
that I used to think it was a street car,
但我现在想起来了 是辆校车
but now I remember that it was a school bus.
我记在笔记里了
I have it in my notes.
而记忆非常主观
And memory is subjective.
我回首我的童年的时候
When I look at my childhood
我记得有些事是这样的
I remember things a certain way,
但我的哥哥姐姐们记得是那样的
my older brothers and sisters remember it a different way.
很难断定谁对谁非
It's hard to know who's right and who's wrong.
他一贯开的车
在书里 他们谈到
In the book, they talked about
范在加利福尼亚穿梭
Van driving up and down the state of California,
从旧金山
到提华纳
开车往返于墨西哥
on his way to or from Mexico
那样就说明他出现在
so that he'd be in the places
命案发生的地点
where these crimes occurred.
但我认识范的时候
But when I knew Van,
他不是开车去墨西哥
he wasn't driving to Mexico,
他一直是坐飞机
he was always flying.
所以对我来说 这打从一开始
And so, for me, that was right from the beginning
就非常荒唐
that was preposterous.
第二部分 十二宫杀手的签名
在书出版之后
After the book was published,
我的父亲躲在附近的一棵树后 嫉妒地看着
微风中每传来一声轻笑 他的怒火益盛
苏珊给我打了电♥话♥ 我对她说
Susan called me and I said to her,
"趴下" 他掏出刀命令道 "我要捅你们"
"你先捅我" 布莱恩求道 "我不忍♥心看你先捅她"
范不发一言 把刀一遍又一遍插入布莱恩的背部
直到他确定受害人已经死了
你为什么要把对话写得这么荒唐
why did you have to make the dialogues so preposterous.
她就说
And she said,
他有枪
他有枪
这些都是从警方报告上摘抄的
well, those were all right from the police reports.
我们拿了警方报告 然后把名字
We took the police reports and changed the name
换成"我的父亲"或者"范"
to my father or Van.
"我想汇报一起谋杀"
我就说 如果那就是你的调查
And I said, if that was your investigation,
"就是我♥干♥的"
那我也言尽于此
then I rest my case.
有时候在写♥真♥实的案件时
Sometimes you do have to use the techniques
你也得用上写小说的技巧
of fiction in true crime.
像是铺垫和描写
Use things like foreshadowing and description.
但我们在那本书里写的每个细节
But every single thing that we did in that book
都是基于
was based on...
亲戚们说的
what we were told by relatives,
朋友们说的 还有警方报告
by friends, police reports,
那书里每个字都是基于事实
every single thing in that book was based on fact.
我相信他们雇来加里的合著者之后
I believe that many things changed
他原稿中的很多东西都改变了
from Gary's original book when they bought in his co-author.
有可能是加里想保护苏珊
There is a possibility that Gary wants to protect Susan
因为她确实把这本书写成了
because she did bring this to the point
哈珀·柯林斯那样的出版商
where a publisher like Harper Collins
会感兴趣的样子
would be interested in it.
作为出版商 我们也会在可控范围内
As a publisher, we embrace the sensational
欢迎夸大其词
in a measured way, um...
迈克尔·西格诺雷利
《最危险的动物:寻找父亲》编辑
因为这样书好卖♥♥
because it sells books.
《史上最危险的动物:寻找父亲》
这本书的叙述中
In a narrative presentation,
糅杂了想象和夸张的元素
the language in the book, it's imagined,
但我们并非在做事实陈述
but we weren't making factual claims.
我们可以说是建立一个场景
We were sort of setting a scene
是时候了
范从阴影中走出来
根据我们现有的证据
of how this would have played out
推测出事情的经过
given the evidence we have.
我不觉得这会误导别人
I don't think it was done to mislead anyone.
"是时候干什么"雪莉乔问道
"是时候让你去死了"范说道
这更像
It was more...
更像是
you, you know, it was, it was
讲一个经过润色的故事
a sort of a narrative touch-up,
我是这么认为的
I'd say.
我读这本书的时候
When I was reading the book,
从书中感受到了两点
there were kinda two things going on.
一个是加里搜寻真♥相♥时的痛苦
One is Gary's pain in Gary's search,
这份痛苦是真实存在的
and that is real and that is,
我想这毫无疑问
uh, I think without question.
洛杉矶时报
作者新书声称十二宫杀手是其父亲
另一点是声称破解了史上最有传奇色彩的
Then there's other element of claiming to have solved
一桩陈年旧案
one of the most legendary cold cases
这案子在全世界都很有名
really of anywhere in the world.
如今在一本新书中 一名住在洛杉矶的男子称其生父犯下了其中几桩罪行
这对出版商来说是一大卖♥♥点
And it's a huge selling point for book publishers.
有一件很重要的事不要忘了
And that's important to keep in mind because
绝大多数非小说类著作
the vast majority of non-fiction books
其真实性都有待考证
are not fact checked.
你可能以为像哈珀·柯林斯这种大出版社
You would think that a big publisher like Harper Collins has
哈珀·柯林斯出版集团
会花大价钱查核其真实性 但其实不会的
a budget for fact checking, but they don't.
可如何让内容脱颖而出
书籍出版业并不需要查核真伪
The book publishing industry, they don't require it.
他们售卖♥♥的书需要尽可能吸引眼球
They need to sell books that are as compelling
甚至尽可能哗众取宠
and maybe sensational as they could possibly be.
这么一来 所有确保
And so all of the responsibility
著作内容真实性 准确性
for making sure that the work is true
确保该著作并非抄袭的责任
and accurate and not copied or other things
其实都落在了作者身上
is actually put on the author.
加里和苏珊想要让这部书
Gary and Susan wanted to make
尽可能的吸引读者
the most compelling book possible.
所以有时他们肯定会
Of course there's gonna be times
对某些事轻描淡写
where maybe you downplay certain things,
在某些事上进行推测
where maybe you speculate in a certain way.
剧集 | 最危险的动物(2020) | 导航列表