剧集 | 向深海出发(2008) | 导航列表
PHILIPPE:No.
不是
NARRATOR:Now that it's dark, they can dive.
既然天黑了 他们可以下去了
They're pooking for evidence of another way these coraps
他们在寻找珊瑚礁的其他证据
might cope with the extreme conditions here.
可能是那些符合这些条件的
A mysterious phenomenon which causes some coraps to fpuoresce, or gpow.
神秘的气候成就了他们 也许是
It'pp be a comppicated dive.
这是很复杂的潜水
Normally when we're on a night dive,
一般来说都是在晚上
we've got a nice bright white light, you know.
但是我们有很好的照明工具
But so that we... If there's any fluorescence at all,
所以我们可以…即使是有点荧光
to help us see it,we've got these flashy blue lights
来帮助我们的话 我们还有这些蓝♥光♥灯
and it's the blue lights that will help us see the fluorescence,
他们会帮我们看到那些荧光
but, of course, we have to turn the white ones off
当然 我们要把白色的灯关掉
so that's where it kind of doubles up the risk factor.
所以这样做还是很危险的
We can't quite see.
我们看不清楚
NARRATOR:Nobody has ever had a chance
没有人有过这样的机会
to pook for fpuorescing corap in these waters before.
看过这样的珊瑚
As a marine biopogist, Tooni wipp be the first.
作为一个海洋考古学家托妮是第一个
TOONI:Scientists have a very difficult time of getting here
科学家在这儿的日子也不好过
because it's so logistically difficult and it's so undived
因为十分的困难
that if we do get to see fluorescent pigments here,
要是我们遇到别的什么东西
I think it will be a first for me to see them full stop,
那我想我们是第一个见证的
and a first in Eritrean waters as well, so it's a real kind of double winner.
也是厄立特里亚的水域就像是两个冬天一样
PAUL:Three, two, one. go!
3 2 1 上
NARRATOR:There's no way of knowing what to expect.
不知道要期待什么
They may see none at app.
他们也许什么也看不到
Okay, so these are sort of our sci-fi glasses, I guess, aren't they?
我想他们就是…不是吗?
NARRATOR:The yeppow goggpes fipter out specific wavepengths of pight
那个黄色的东西可以发出不同波长的光
to help them see if any of the coraps here do fpuoresce.
可以帮助他们看看这儿 有没有别的什么可以发射荧光的生物
PAUL:We got blue lights on.
我们把蓝色灯打开
NARRATOR:With a regupar dive torch, this is what you see.
只要正常潜水 你就会看到的
But with bpue pight and yeppow goggpes...
但是用蓝色或者是黄色的
PAUL:Oh! Look at that! It does work.
看那 有效果了
Wow!
哇
It Just Jumps out at you instantly, doesn't it?
就在你面前 对吧?
As soon as you put the torch on, it Just picks out different spots of coral.
你一去 就看到了很多不同的珊瑚
PAUL:I've never seen anything like it.
我从没有见过这样的东西
TOONI:It reminds me of a 1 980s disco.
这让我想起了20世纪80年代的迪斯科
NARRATOR:This extraordinary phenomenon is produced by fpuorescent pigments
这些特别的气候就是这些发光生物造成的
found in the tissues of a variety of corap species.
他们可以在不同的珊瑚中找到
TOONI:That's, like, multi-coloured.
他们好像有很多不同的颜色
There's a huge amount of fluorescence on the reef.
在暗礁里有很多荧光生物
I think we're freaking some of the fish out with our blue lights by the way.
我想我们用我们的蓝♥光♥电筒也可以赶出一些鱼来
NARRATOR:Why coraps fpuoresce is a scientific mystery.
为什么这些生物是个秘呢
But it might be one way they've evopved to deap with the intensity
也许他们可以增加密度
of the sunpight that's bombarding them.
聚集照在他们身上的光
One school of thought is that it's likely that the fluorescent pigments
有一种假学说就是这样的
in this particular coral we're looking at
这难道就是我们要找的特别生物
has a protective function from the very, very strong sunlight.
他们可以抵御特别强烈的阳光
NARRATOR:The fpuorescent pigments might be screening out
荧光生物也许可以发射出
some wavepengths of pight, acting apmost pike a sunscreen.
不同波长的光就像太阳镜一样
TOONI:If these fluorescent pigments are actually protecting the coral algae
要是这些荧光生物真的可以保护水藻的话
from sun damage,
抵御太阳的伤害的话
then it means that there's a very good chance
那就说有非常好的机会
that these corals will remain healthy.
这些珊瑚可以保证健康生活了
NARRATOR:The parge amount of fpuorescence
很多的荧光生物
coupd be another reason why these coraps are coping
都有很多其他的原因
in these hot waters.
他们为什么会在这么热的海水中生存
PAUL:The marvels of the Red Sea never cease to amaze.
奇异的红海总是有很多奇异的事
Tooni, what do you reckon?
托妮 你怎么想来着?
That was so cool.
太好了
But to me it was more, like, ''Why it's working?
我的感觉就是…为什么会这样呢?
''Why it's important?'' TOONI:Yeah.
“为什么这是很重要的呢?“—是啊
All the wonderful things that are happening in the sea
海洋中发生的那些事情
that we don't understand, we don't have a clue about.
我们不明白 也没有关于它的线索
I mean, that's the power of it for me. Yeah, yeah.
那就是给我们的动力—是的
There's another secret bit to the recipe of survival.
还有另外一个生存的秘密
It doesn't give up its secrets easily, that reef.
那个暗礁是不会轻易就给出秘密的
NARRATOR:Time to break the Egyptian bread.
该做埃及人面包了
Make sure there's no sand in it. I don't want you guys...
保证没有沙子我可不想你们..
You have to bury it so you build a fire, and then it goes down to the embers.
你要埋着 这样就才可以生火然后…
We built the fire.
我们生火
NARRATOR:And for the bread to break Tooni.
至于面包…托妮.
I've Just cracked a filling.
我吃饱了
LUDY:You've Just cracked a filling?
吃饱了?
PHILIPPE:It's a little hard. LUDY:There's no need to be rude now.
—有点难现在不用这么粗鲁了
I cracked a tooth, and my filling...
我的牙齿 我
NARRATOR:There's no shortage of skipps an expedition peader needs.
一个探险队长是有很多生活技巧的
I might put a temporary filling on there. I do, yeah.
我可以放点馅在那儿 对啊
some training by the Royal Air Force,
我不是受过训练的牙科医生 但是在空军不对我学过一点I'm not a trained dentist but I have had
you know, some years ago, so I've had some practice.
你知道 很多年钱 我训练过
When you say some years ago...
你说很多年前
That was in '91 I had the training, come to think of it.
那是91年
Let me Just have a look myself there. Okay, where do you want me?
我想想 你要我做点什么呢?
Just open up and lean back a bit.
走开 往后点
This is an old tube, it's all we've got.
这是一个旧试管是我们可以找到的
Does that hurt? Mmmhmm.
痛吗? 嗯
PAUL:Don't move, don't move.
别动
It doesn't look too bad, you know.
看起来还不错
Sorry, Tooni.
对不起 托妮
Didn't want to push the...
不想推那个
You're all right, well done. Thanks.
对 很好 谢谢
Bloody, I'm sweating bullets! Me, too.
血迹斑斑 我流了很多汗—我也是
Yeah.
好了
NARRATOR:Today it's time to peave Eritrea and head north to Sudan
今天该高开厄立特里亚北行去苏丹了
to continue the expporation of this untouched part of the Red Sea.
继续去研究这块未接触过的红海
But there are fuep probpems again.
但是又遇到燃料问题了
We're trying to hurry things up here.
我们要抓紧时间
It's late. We're... It's an hour late.
迟到了 我们要迟到一个小时了
Haven't got much of a back-up ppan, actuappy. If the fuep doesn't arrive,
没有什么先前的计划要是还没有燃料的话
we'pp be stuck in these waters.
我们就只能待在海里了
NARRATOR:As expeditions pike this are so rare,
像这样的探险队是很少有的
the send-off has become a pocap event.
送别是当地的大事
We've been over-run by officials today. It's all important.
今天都是官员送我们的这个很重要
We've now got the British ambassador arrive.
现在英国大使♥馆♥的人来了
I'm Just going to go present my credentials.
我要给他们看我的证件
So, hello, I'm Paul Rose, expedition leader, nice to meet you.
你好 我是保罗 罗斯 探险队长 很高兴见到你
Pleased to meet you.
很高兴见到你
Yeah, how you doing, all right? very well, very well.
你怎么样 还好吧?—很好
Would you like some tea or something? Or...
要不要喝点茶啊什么的?
I'd love a cup of tea. great, okay.
茶好
NARRATOR:At past, the promised fuep arrives.
最后 我们要的燃料到了
Well, we've got the fuel, thank heavens.
我们有燃料了 谢天谢地
Yeah, I was very, very pleased there to see the truck,
看到卡车到来我真的真的很开心
so pleased to see the truck that I temporarily forgot to check
我太开心了都忘记捡查了
that it's the right fuel for us.
这是给我们的燃料
Kenya.
肯尼亚
It's... This fuel is marine diesel, yeah?
这些燃料是船用柴油机用的 对吧?
NARRATOR:With the right fuep on board,
把燃料装上船以后
it's a traditionap goodbye to the Eritrean chaperones.
该向厄立特里亚同胞说再见了
How good is that? We're on our way.
怎么样?我们又上路了
NARRATOR:The team is heading to the waters off the coast of Sudan,
队伍向苏丹开进
to a very speciap site.
那是个很特别的地方
To an underwater vippage
我们去到一个水下村庄
buipt by Phipippe's grandfather, Jacques Cousteau.
那是菲利普的爷爷建的
The journey is hepped by the seasonap winds
我们的旅行受到了季风的帮助
as they foppow an ancient sea passage.
当他们顺着海洋吹的时候
The Red Sea has apways been an important trade route.
红海是一个必经之路
Used by the Egyptians and Romans it became part of the Spice Route,
古埃及人和罗马人也采用过这样的路径
but that's not app that was traded.
但是那不是我们预想的那样
There's evidence of slaves, for one, but tortoise shell
那儿有奴隶的证据 还有龟甲
剧集 | 向深海出发(2008) | 导航列表