剧集 | 小杜丽 | 导航列表
I understand this evening is about a little bit of jobbery.
是为莫多尔先生的妻子与前夫的儿子
Mrs Merdle's son by her previous marriage,
斯巴克勒
name of Sparkler.
-你认识他吗 -好小伙
- Do you know the boy? - Nice young fellow.
两耳之间完全是空的
Absolutely nothing between the ears at all.
-一片空白 -他们要给他安排
- A total blank. - They're fixing him up
去拖拖拉拉部干活儿
with something at the Circumlocution Office.
想来他在那里不会惹什么祸
Well, I suppose he'll do no harm there.
也干不出什么成绩
No good either.
来吧
Come on.
先生们 我们经历人生的各种变革
And so we pass, gentlemen, through various changes of life,
从伊顿梨 到议会梨
from Eton pears to Parliamentary pairs!
说得好 先生 从未听过你这么客气
Excellent, sir, never heard you on such good form!
我们都很遗憾今晚
We are all sorry not to have the pleasure
莫多尔太太不能到场
of Mrs Merdle's company this evening.
她在意大利 先生
She is in Italy, sir.
刚刚提到了莫多尔太太的儿子
Ah, Mrs Merdle's son has been spoken of...
斯品克勒先生
Mr Sprinkler?
是斯巴克勒 先生
Mr Sparkler, sir.
斯巴克勒先生 当然
Sparkler, of course.
提到他是因为可能有闲职
He was mentioned in the context of a possible opening?
麻烦了 先生
If you please, sir.
他今晚在吗
Is he here this evening?
跟莫多尔太太在意大利
In Italy, with Mrs Merdle.
那好吧
Ah, well...
他倒也不非得在场
It's not indispensable that he should actually be on the spot.
光是莫多尔大名的魔力就足矣
The magic name of Merdle will suffice.
是啊
Quite so.
就当办妥了
I think we may consider it settled.
谢谢 先生
Thank you, sir.
太棒了
Bravo!
是啊 亲爱的埃德蒙将要
Yes! Dear Edmund is to be
成为拖拖拉拉部的一个大臣了
one of the Lords of the Circumlocution Office.
你可能在《泰♥晤♥士♥报♥》上看到了启示
I expect you may have seen the notice in the Times.
真可惜 他就要离开我们了
What a pity it will take him away from us all.
恭喜你 伙计
Congratulations, old fellow!
有份工作了 真不错
Feet under the table now, eh? Well done!
其实 我没做什么
Well, point of fact, didn't actually do anything.
这事就这么成了
Thing just happened.
我也不明白
It's a total mystery to me.
这样他会更多在伦敦度过
It will keep him in town a good deal
他更喜欢乡下 是吧 埃德蒙
and he prefers the country, don't you, Edmund?
我喜欢跟几只梗犬去打老鼠
Well, I am fond of ratting with a couple of good terriers.
威尼斯不怎么能打老鼠 但老鼠倒莫名的多
Not much ratting in Venice. Lot of rats, though. Odd, that.
-埃德蒙 -怎么
- Edmund. - Yes?
-闭嘴 -好
- Be quiet. - Right.
不过 虽然拖拖拉拉部
Still, though the Circumlocution
可能并不非常适合埃德蒙的才华
may not be ideally suited to Edmund's talents,
这毕竟是个位子
it is a position
-而且也不算差 -是啊
- and not a disagreeable one. - Quite.
我不是要诋毁斯巴克勒先生的能力
And without wishing to disparage Mr Sparkler's abilities,
但我们应当把这一任命
I think we must see the appointment
视为是对当代传奇莫多尔先生的赞许
as a compliment to Mr Merdle the man of the age!
谢谢你 杜丽先生 这话说得好
Thank you, Mr Dorrit, that may well be so.
-我们多为孩子们担心啊 -是啊
- How we do fret about our children. - How indeed.
希望你开心 好伙计
I wish you joy, my dear old fellow!
你会什么都不需要做 你会做得很好的
There will be nothing to do and you will do it charmingly!
还有不少的薪水可领
There'll be a handsome salary to draw
你会领得很好
and you'll draw it charmingly!
我很高兴看到我的老友找到了落脚处
I'm delighted to see my dear old donkey so admirably stabled!
要知道...
Well, you know, I...
要我说
I dare say
你也不会反对能有地方落脚吧 高文先生
you wouldn't say no to such a stable yourself, Mr Gowan.
是啊 杜丽小姐 但我显赫的亲戚
Indeed, no, Miss Dorrit but my grand relations
很遗憾似乎忽略了我的才华
seem to have sadly overlooked my talents.
害得你只能依赖你假装鄙视的岳父母生活了
Leaving you to sponge off the in-laws you affect to despise.
真是的 芬妮 别这么冲嘛
I say! You know, Fanny, draw it mild!
杜丽小姐恐怕不会用别的口气说话
I'm not sure Miss Dorrit knows how to draw it mild
但我常受人责难
but I'm very properly rebuked.
但恐怕也不会让你有所改变
I don't suppose it'll make you change your ways, though.
是啊 杜丽小姐 应该是不会
No, Miss Dorrit, I don't suppose I will.
看来我该恭喜你 斯巴克勒先生
I suppose I should congratulate you, Mr Sparkler.
我在拖拖拉拉部花了不少时间
I've spent a good deal of time at the Circumlocution Office
却从来没听到一句讲理的话
and I never heard one word of sense in all that time.
他们在我看来象征了如何无所作为
They seem to me the very epitome of how not to do it!
这...我还没进去呢
Well, you know, I've not got in there yet.
我还不够格呢
It's not as if I'm up to the mark yet.
原谅我
You'll have to forgive me,
但我在那地方只见过
but all I've seen anyone do at that place
人们转手文件
is pushing pieces of paper around
保证彼此的铁饭碗
and giving each other jobs for life
同时却让国家堕落毁灭
and letting the country go to wrack and ruin in the meantime.
巴纳克尔 显赫的家族啊
Barnacles, yes, a well-named family!
-冷静 弥格尔斯先生 -我得说 先生
- Steady, Mr Meagles. - I must insist, sir,
你不能对一个十分高贵的家族
that you do not speak disrespectfully
如此不敬
of a very distinguished family.
我无意冒犯
I don't mean to offend anybody,
但我看到什么说什么 杜丽先生
but I speak as I find, Mr Dorrit,
你的好友克莱南先生 也会这么说的
and your good friend, Mr Clennam, will say the same.
他曾一天天泡在那里
He spent day after day at that place,
只为了让他们理清你错综复杂的事务
trying to get some sense out of them about your tangled affairs
这对他有什么好处
and precious little good it did him,
对你也没有 先生
or you, sir!
绅士 说得好 您真是了不起 先生
Private gentlemen, well put, You're very good, sir,
我们早该在伦敦的
We should have made each other's acquaintance
上流社会结识了
in London society long since.
可怜的爸 他真受罪
Poor Pa, he does suffer so.
我也为弥格尔斯夫妇感到难过
I felt sorry for Mr and Mrs Meagles too.
弥格尔斯一家好着呢
The Meagleses are all very well.
无忧无虑 知足而乐
They're happy, they know their place
一点也不在乎别人怎么想
and they don't care tuppence for what the world thinks of them.
再说我们 就没那么轻松了
We, on the other hand, labour under peculiar disadvantages.
别说你不明白我的意思
Don't tell me you don't know what I'm talking about.
再说深入点 我就能明白了
I'm sure I shall, after a few more words.
我们终归不是那么回事 是吧
We're not quite the thing, are we?
有人装得还算像
Some of us look the thing.
爸就很有绅士派头
Pa is very gentlemanly
但他很害怕人们知道他的过去
but he's terrified of people knowing what he once was.
叔叔 人是不错 却难登大雅之堂
And Uncle, though a dear creature, is altogether unpresentable.
爱德华挥金如土 沉迷声色
Edward is frightfully expensive and dissipated.
可他甚至不太懂 要怎么 挥霍
He isn't even any good at it the, um...dissipation, I mean.
然后是你和我
Then there's you and me.
我们没有母亲
And we don't have a mother
却有位杰纳罗太太
but we do have a Mrs General,
她像只戴手套的猫 她会逮到耗子的
who goes about like a cat in gloves and she will catch a mouse
而那只耗子就是爸爸
and the mouse she'll catch is Papa.
芬妮
Fanny!
我才不要杰纳罗太太当我的继母
I refuse to be step-mothered by Mrs General.
我要成为斯巴克勒太太 越快越好
The sooner I become Mrs Sparkler, the better.
他现在有份好工作
He has a good position now
而且我也不要聪明的丈夫
and I don't think a clever husband should suit me.
我不要太听他的话
I shouldn't be able to defer to him enough.
可芬妮 你要是爱上过谁
But Fanny, if you loved someone,
就不会这么想了
that feeling would change.
我知道的
I know it would.
你知道的 是吗 我的天
You know that, do you? Oh, bless me!
真是术业有专攻啊
How much some people know about some subjects!
俗话说各有所长
Well, they say everybody has a subject,
这就是你擅长的呢
and we've certainly hit upon yours!
别取笑我 芬妮
Don't tease me, Fanny.
说笑呢 小乖乖
剧集 | 小杜丽 | 导航列表