说谎之人应该表现出来的特征
that are supposed to be shown by people who are lying.
说谎者的特征
态度类
过度焦虑
防卫心重
漠不关心
闪烁其词
过度客套
谨小慎微
非语言类
对于关键问题的反复无常且迅速的细节描述
手势频繁
屏障式姿势
呆板僵硬
懒散 过于随意
不正面对齐
语气虚伪
拿手遮挡嘴巴或眼睛
语言类
抢答
不合理的回答
心理障碍
挑衅
莫名愤怒
避免现实的话语
具体否认
"我不知道"
"不记得了"
惜字如金
修辞很多
提到上帝或宗教
我们看 里面提到"懒散"
Let's look. It says "Slouched."
这是一张布兰登审讯的截图
Here's a screenshot of Brendan's interrogation.
他的确很懒散
He's slouched.
"手遮挡嘴巴或眼睛"
"Hand over mouth or eyes."
非常符合
Sure enough.
"呆板僵硬"
"Rigid and immobile."
而对于这些语言类的特点
And as for these verbal things,
如果有人说"我不知道"就一定是说谎吗
somebody who says, "I don't know" must be lying?
那我告诉你 有句话是
Let me tell you, if there's one thing
布兰登·戴西在审讯中
Brendan Dassey said hundreds of times
说了几百次的 就是"我不知道"
during that interrogation, it's "I don't know."
他与他人交流的能力有限
His ability to interact with other people is limited.
但毫无疑问 这刚好符合警官们所训练的
But of course it feeds right into these false narratives
鉴定说谎者的特点
that officers are trained in.
如果有人躲闪眼神交流
Somebody who can't make eye contact?
那他们一定是在说谎 一定有罪
It must mean they're lying, that they're guilty.
布兰登案中的误判
无法与人眼神交流
This failure to look people in the eye,
在社交场合回避躲闪
this withdrawing during social situations,
这是他的缺陷
this is his disability,
同时我认为也是误判
and I think it also is the misclassification error.
三条通往虚假供述之路
误判错误 "为什么警♥察♥会怀疑被告"
胁迫错误 "被告是怎么被说服认罪的"
污染错误 "被告怎么知道要说什么"
胁迫 "被告是怎么被说服认罪的"
然后是胁迫
Then there's the coercion error.
一旦你把错误的人带进审讯室
Once you get that wrong person in the interrogation room,
他们怎么会被说服去说出
how are they convinced to say something
对自身利益如此明显不利的东西呢
so dramatically against their self-interest?
她是怎么被装进车后备箱的
How did she get in the back of the jeep?
告诉我们
Tell us that.
-我不知道 -你帮了他吗
- I don't know. - Did you help him?
没有
No.
在审讯之初
At the beginning of an interrogation,
一个无辜的人
an innocent person's confidence
胁迫错误
认为自己可以安然度过审讯过程
that they will emerge from the interrogation process
这个自信是爆棚的
unharmed is sky-high.
但审讯的目的
But the goal of interrogation
就是去降低他们的这个自信心
is to bring that confidence level down.
我们调查这起案子很久了
We've been investigating this a long time.
我们彻头彻尾的情况都很了解
We pretty much know everything.
我们已经知道事情的经过了
We already know what happened.
我们已经知道事情的经过了 我们已经知道
We already know what happened. We already know.
记住 我们已经知道 我们已经知道
Remember, we already know. We already know.
-我们已经知道 -我们知道
- We already know. - We know.
我们已经知道 你明白我们知道
We already know. You know we know.
-我们知道 -我们知道当时你在场
- We know. - We know you were back there.
我们知道事情的经过 没事的
We know what happened. It's OK.
假装有证据诈供
False evidence ploys.
一遍又一遍地告诉嫌犯
Telling the suspect over and over again,
"我们已经知道"
"We already know."
约翰·E·里德联合公♥司♥提醒警官们
John E. Reid & Associates cautions police officers,
"诈供策略通常不该用于"
"Deceptive tactics should not ordinarily be used
胁迫 假装有证据诈供
"有明显精神缺陷的人士"
with individuals who have significant mental limitations
"以及社会成熟度低的少年嫌疑人"
or with youthful suspects of low social maturity."
她死的时候你在场 我们知道
You were there when she died. We know that.
-说吧 -他逼你做了什么 布兰登
- Come on. - What he made you do, Brendan.
我们知道他逼你做了其他的事
We know he made you do something else.
我们有证据 布兰登
We have the evidence, Brendan.
他想 "所有的证据都对我不利"
He says, "There's all this evidence against me.
"他不会信我的 我该怎么做"
He's not believing me. What am I going to do?
"这个问题好严峻 我该怎么办"
This is a serious problem. What am I going to do?"
此时就到了审讯人员训练过的
And that's when interrogators are trained
给嫌疑人指条明路的时候
to give a suspect an out.
他逼你对她做了什么 对吧
He made you do something to her, didn't he?
所以他不是单独作案 感觉更踏实了吧
So he would feel better about not being the only person, right?
没错 他逼你对她做了什么
Yeah. What did he make you do to her?
你是自己想参与强♥奸♥的
Did you want to participate in the rape,
还是你舅舅强迫你的
or did your uncle force you?
这里是在暗示
The suggestion is,
如果你接受了相比而言不那么令人发指的版本
if you accept the less heinous version,
你会得到从轻处置
that you will be treated more leniently.
从我的角度看 即使是我来判
From what I'm seeing, even if I fill those in,
我觉得你不会有事的 好吗
I'm thinking you're alright. OK?
你不用担心什么
You don't have to worry about things.
老实说 布兰登 这是能帮你的
Honesty, Brendan, is the thing that's gonna help you.
无论你做了什么 我们都可以帮你
No matter what you did, we can work through that.
诚实的人
The honest person is the one
在任何时候都会得到优待
that's gonna get a better deal out of everything.
诚实才帮你重获自♥由♥
Honesty is the thing that'll set you free.
没事的 我们会帮你渡过这一关
It's OK. We're gonna help you through this, alright?
当时的布兰登只是个十六岁的少年
Brendan here is a 16-year-old
并且相较于通常十六岁少年的成熟程度
who functions at a much lower level
他的心智年龄要更低一点
than your average 16-year-old.
所以他其实会想
So he actually thinks,
"如果我说了他们想听到的话"
"If I tell them what they want to hear,
"我就能回家了"
I'm gonna go home."
你在做对的事
You are doing the right thing.
我们要听你说出来
We need to hear it from you.
你今天说完了 一切就都结束了
Let's get it all out today and this will be all over with.
没关系的 他逼你做了什么
It's OK. What did he make you do?
-用刀割她 -割她的哪个部位
- Cut her. - Cut her where?
割她的喉咙
On the throat.
嫌疑人亲口承认是有力的证据
While getting an admission is powerful evidence,
要想定罪 他们需要的是
what they need to get a conviction
让嫌疑人说出
is to have the suspect to give
告诉警官们 只有真正的凶手
the police officer the details of the crime
才会知道的犯案细节
that only the true perpetrator would know.
这对于无辜的人而言就是个大问题
Now, this is a real problem for an innocent person.
那怎么会发生呢
How does that happen?
这就要仰赖第三种错误
Well, it happens through the third error,
三条通往虚假供述之路
误判错误 "为什么警♥察♥会怀疑被告"
胁迫错误 "被告是怎么被说服认罪的"
污染错误 "被告怎么知道要说什么"
也就是污染错误
which is the contamination error.
事实透露
Fact feeding.
约翰·E·里德联合公♥司♥告诉调查员们
John E. Reid & Associates tells investigators
他们需要隐藏一些情况细节
that they should hold back some facts,
因为如果嫌疑人可以给出这些细节
because if the suspect can give you those facts,
那样你就能很清楚地明白
then you have a pretty good idea
嫌疑人告诉你的就是事实
that what the suspect is telling you is true.
在她身上还发生了什么 她的头怎么了
What else happens to her? In her head?
三位警官向他透露了三个关键细节
These officers fed him the three critical facts
都是在布兰登的审讯之前没有公开♥发♥布的
that were not publicly released before Brendan's interrogation:
顶骨缺损 枕骨缺损
特瑞莎·海尔贝克头部中枪
Teresa Halbach was shot in the head,
她的个人物品在埃弗里废车场的