解说正义是如何贯彻落实的
at some length about how justice is administered,
特别是针对弱势群体
especially to those who don't have many advantages.
尽管美国司法体系名义上职能健全
As good as America's system of justice is on paper,
实际上 它远未达到理想标准
in practice, it falls very short of the ideals that it's based on.
但事情并非毫无转机
And it doesn't have to be that way.
如果人们在体制中当家做主
If people really take ownership of it,
便可改变现状
they can make a difference.
你有多大把握埃弗里会重获自♥由♥
How confident are you that Avery will ever be a free man again?
此时此刻 我们
You know, we're not directly
并不是他的辩护律师
involved in representing him at this point,
但我依旧乐观
but I remain optimistic.
迪恩·斯特朗与杰瑞·布汀
从2006年至2007年宣判期间为史蒂文辩护
威斯康星州法庭体系
有罪
马尼托沃克县巡回法庭
公共辩护律师于2008年至2011年期间
一直致力于为史蒂文的裁后动议辩护
2010年 驳回
马尼托沃克县巡回法庭
↑
2011年 维持福克斯法官的判决
威斯康星州上诉法庭
2011年 拒绝审议
威斯康星州最高法♥院♥
↑
当史蒂芬得知最高法♥院♥驳回上诉
When Steven found out that the Supreme Court had denied his case,
桑迪·格林曼
史蒂文的朋友
甚至不予受理 他伤心欲绝
that they wouldn't even look at it, he was totally devastated.
我从没见过他那么消沉
I've never seen him so down.
马尼托沃克县监狱
他失去了辩护律师 他失去了一切
He lost his lawyers, he lost everything.
那年是2011年 他一直待在监狱
This was 2011. He'd been there all that time.
威斯康星州法庭体系
马尼托沃克县巡回法庭
从那时起他开始去法律图书馆查阅
That's when the law library stuff started,
他要把自己解放出狱
where he was going to get himself out.
他说 "第一次我成功了 那就再来一次"
He said, "I had to do it the first time, and I'll do it again."
他孤立无援 一切靠自己
He was on his own, doing everything by himself,
我知道他需要一位律师的帮助
and I knew he needed a lawyer to help him.
我开始四处寻找
I started a very extensive search for a lawyer
同意接手裁后案件的律师
that would take a post-conviction case.
开始时我并没有提及案件的名称
I didn't even say the name in the beginning
诚致问候 桑迪·格林曼
因为没人愿意接手这个案子
because nobody wanted that case.
大多数人认为他有罪
Most of them thought he was guilty.
我不觉得有谁会不这么认为
I don't think there was anybody that didn't.
那段时间我给很多律师写了信
I wrote to a lot of lawyers in that time period.
一些人给了我答复 一些没有
Some I got a response and some I didn't.
有人直接退回了信件
And some I just got the letter back.
甚至不愿意拆开一看
They don't even want to open it.
他的处境十分艰难
He was in a pretty dark place.
他说过很多次
I know he said many times,
"没有人想了解事实"
"No one's ever going to know the truth.
"他们只相信自己主观认定我犯下的罪行"
They're always going to believe what they think I did."
后来我看到《日界线》中的一则
And then I seen a commercial
《日界线》
关于含冤入狱的人的广♥告♥
on Dateline, on innocent people in prison.
感觉很可靠 于是我就看了
It looked good, so I watched it.
在广♥告♥中我看到了凯思琳
That's when I seen Kathleen.
我让桑迪也去看了广♥告♥
I told Sandy to watch it.
我看了广♥告♥ 不禁在客厅直接叫了出来
I watched it, and I said right out loud in my living room,
"她就是能救出史蒂文的人"
"That's the person that's going to get Steven out."
我从未听说过哪个律师曾让这么多人出狱
I never heard of a lawyer who's got so many people out.
我下定决心给她的律所送去文件
That convinced me to get her paperwork on her law firm.
他们决定无偿服务
This is one that takes them pro bono.
她就是这样
This is what she does.
我当时非常激动
And I was so excited.
当时他和我说 "把她弄来"
And that's when he told me, you know, "Get her."
我记得他的原话 "把她弄来"
I remember the words. "Get her."
我在2012年1月
And that's when I wrote the first letter,
给她写了第一封信
which was in January of 2012.
之后连续写了很多次
I don't think I stopped after that.
希望你能帮忙
史蒂文·埃弗里
我给她写了一封又一封信
I wrote her, and wrote her.
桑迪·格林曼
2012年1月9日 星期一 下午2点50分
桑迪也给她写信
Then Sandy wrote her.
亲爱的泽尔娜女士 我再次代表史蒂文·埃弗里给您写了这封信 我知道他也曾再次给您写信
对于那样一位优秀的律师 值得一等
With a good lawyer like that, you know, it takes a while
我给您发送过电子邮件
因为她非常忙碌
because you're always busy.
我想代表史蒂文·埃弗里先生再次陈述案情
我记得自己在邮件中写到
I remember sending her emails saying,
"不知能否得到您的答复"
"Just wonder if you could just answer me,
"请您至少能告诉我您是否愿意受理"
if you could just tell me yes or no."
她打赢了官司 她还上了电视
She won the case, what she had on the TV.
她成功翻案
She got it overturned.
我对她的印象一直很好
I always had a good feeling about her.
这一点从未改变
And I never got off of that.
凯思琳·泽尔娜
2016年1月3日 星期日 下午2点09分
有一天我终于收到了她的答复
And then there was the day that I got the email from her.
我有经验 也有能力帮史蒂文翻案
她看了这个纪录片
She had watched the documentary
还说她认为她是本案的最佳辩护律师人选
and she said that she thought she was the best one for the case.
我想 "哇"
I thought, "Well, duh.
"我四年来一直想说的就是这句话"
I've been trying to say this for four years."
非常抱歉我在2012年未答复您
失去的四年已经过去
Four years lost just went away.
这场匪夷所思的正义的缺席可以被纠正
诚致问候
凯思琳·泽尔娜
我等不及要去监狱探视
I couldn't wait to get to the prison.
我记得当时我坐下来和他说道
And I remember sitting down with him and I said,
"什么也别说 也别和我说话"
"Just don't even say anything. Don't even talk to me.
"我要宣布一件事"
I just want to say one thing.
"凯思琳·泽尔娜想接你的案子"
Kathleen Zellner wants your case."
我高兴坏了
I was a happy camper.
她是我见过最厉害的律师
She's the best lawyer that I ever seen.
凯思琳·泽尔娜已经为17名犯人翻案
比全美其他私人律师都要多
通过民事诉讼 她为翻案者们争取到了数百万美元的赔偿金
访客中心
与埃弗里监狱会面后 他的律师凯思琳·泽尔娜
Reaching out from jail, his attorney, Kathleen Zellner,
在推特上发了这张手写笔记的照片
tweeting this handwritten note after meeting with Avery.
致我的支持者们
我想要做所有可能的法医检测
因为我是无辜的
"致我的支持者们"
"To my supporters,
"我想要做所有可能的法医检测"
I want every forensic test possible done
"因为我是无辜的"
because I am innocent."
之前我都是在孤军奋战
You know, I was all by myself doing this stuff.
我做不了任何调查或推进任何检测
I couldn't do hardly no investigation or have testing done.
我写信给实验室 他们告诉我他们不能介入
When I wrote the labs, they tell me that they can't get involved
因为我需要一个律师
because I need an attorney.
所以这让我精神一振
So that brought my spirits way up...
因为她能做所有这些我做不到的事
because she can do all of that and I couldn't.
凯思琳·泽尔娜的律师事务所
我知道她为十七个人翻了案
I knew she had 17 people that she got overturned.
约翰斯堡一因杀人罪入狱男子 无罪释放
罗塞蒂案的律师给了被遗忘之人新生
堪萨斯城市之星
终于回家团聚
《美国法律杂♥志♥》
无偿服务 2001年大奖
让无辜者无罪释放 让国家赔偿
《国家报道》
死囚犯重回家园
《内珀维亚太阳报》
那个为凯文·福克斯声张正义
并获得1550万赔偿的内珀维亚律师
福克斯赢得1550万的民事赔偿金
《芝加哥太阳时报》
"他们早就知道他是无辜的"
《芝加哥论♥坛♥报》
福克斯获得了1550万
一位凶猛而强大的对手
《制♥造♥凶手》犯人的辩护律师
曾赢过不可能赢的案子
那我就是第十八个
I'll be number 18, then.
她还可以继续增加这个数字
And she can keep on going.
最复杂的杀人案
我和史蒂文·埃弗里说的话跟其他人一样
I told Steven Avery the same thing I tell everyone.
凯思琳·泽尔娜
史蒂文的裁后律师
如果你雇我 而你确实有罪
If you hire me and you're guilty,
相信我 我会比检察官更凶残
trust me, I'll do a way better job than the prosecutors.
如果你确实有罪 我会查出来的
I will find out if you are guilty.
我们要做那些检测 结果是不可控的
And we're gonna do testing. We can't control the results.
检测结果会推送给双方
The results will be turned over to both sides.
所以 慎重考虑一下