He can be here this afternoon.
今天下午他就能来面试
Hey, I-I'd love to meet your guy, Charlie.
嘿 我很高兴能面试你朋友 Charlie
This is what I do, baby.
这是我该做的
I-It's all good. It's seeped in my pores.
没啥事 都渗进我的毛孔里了
Oh, I'm so glad he didn't touch 'em.
呼 幸好他没碰
I'm so grateful that you have time to talk.
谢谢你抽出时间和我聊聊
Oh, gosh. Planning for my future
天呐 规划未来
is really, really daunting.
实在让人不知所措
I get it.
我明白的
God, I wish I had someone I could have gotten advice from
天呐 我多希望当时
when I was in your shoes.
有人能给我些建议
Oh, speaking of shoes.
哦 说到鞋子
You should get yourself some golf spikes.
你应该买♥♥双高尔夫钉鞋
Okay. I didn't know I was talking to Miss Tigress Woods here.
我都不知道我是在和女版泰格·伍兹说话
Junior never mentioned you like golf.
Junior从没说过你喜欢高尔夫
Oh, I don't like golf at all.
哦 我不喜欢打高尔夫
Oh. Not at all.
哦 一点也不喜欢
Not the bugs, not the skorts,
不喜欢虫子 不喜欢裙裤
not the people asking me which NBA player's wife I am.
不喜欢人问我是哪个NBA球员的老婆的人
But I had to learn when I was in med school
但是上学那会儿我不得不学
so that I could get into my professors' "Good Old Boys Club."
为了加入教授的"老好男孩俱乐部"
That was the only way to have access to the big surgeries.
只有这样我才有机会接触大型手术
So you got to make their interests your interests.
所以你必须把他们的兴趣爱好当作自己的
Okay. Makes sense. Mmhmm.
好吧 有道理 嗯哼
Also, you need to make sure that your penmanship
而且 你的手书能力
and your grammar are on point.
和你的语法必须正确
They really care about that? Yes.
他们还在意这个 是啊
When I was in residency...
我实习的时候
...I misspelled Neuroleptanalgesia on a chart
我在一张表格上拼错了Neuroleptanalgesia(安定镇痛)
and a doctor said to me,
一个医生说
"We don't speak 'Ebonics' here."
"我们这儿可不说黑人英语"
Needless to say, I never misspelled that word again.
不用多说 我后来再也没拼错这个词
Like, never.
再也没有
Oh, here's something really sweet and lovely that you can do.
对了 有一件暖心而又可爱的事可以去做
Okay.
好的
On your first day of grad school,
你进入研究生院的第一天
write yourself a letter
给自己写一封信
about why you decided to get into medicine.
写写自己为什么想学医
It'll be like your "Keep Going!" letter.
也就相当于你的"打气"信
W-Well, there were times where you felt like you couldn't keep going?
你有感觉自己坚持不下去的时候吗
Oh, my God, yes. Wow.
天呐 是的
All the time.
一直都是
I just kept my head down and did my work,
我那时每天就是埋头苦干
and I read that letter every day.
然后读一读信
And sometimes there were so many tears on it
有时候信上有很多泪水
that I'd have to rewrite it,
我不得不重新写一封
but at that point, I knew it by heart.
但是那时候 我心知
God. I still remember it.
天呐 我还记得
"Dear Rainbow,
"亲爱的Rainbow
you are a strong queen who has dedicated your life to helping others.
你是一个坚强的女王 你投身于救治帮助他人
And when no one else loves you, I love you.
没有人喜欢你的时候 我喜欢着你
So in the words of Harriet Tubman,
哈丽雅特·塔布曼有言
'If you hear the dogs, keep going.
'如果你听到狗叫声 坚持下去
If you see the torches in the woods, keep going...'"
如果你看到了树林里的火炬 坚持下去'"
Isn't that lovely?
是不是很治愈
Uh... whew!
啊 咻呼
It's something. Right?
很了不起 是吧
Uh-huh.
啊哈
So I was interviewing Charlie's BlAd boy Darren T. Gibson,
所以我准备面试Charlie的黑人广♥告♥人朋友Darren T. Gibson
and I figured I'd give Stevens a courtesy heads-up about the meeting.
我觉得面试前该礼貌地知会Stevens一声
Actually, I've met Darren before.
其实我之前见过Darren
We were on a Men in Advertising panel a couple years back.
几年前我们一起参加过广♥告♥人研讨会
Really? Yeah.
真的吗 真的
I found him, um, kind of difficult.
我感觉这人有点难相处
But, okay, it's, uh, your pick, your judgment.
但是 这是你的选择 你的判断
I trust you.
我相信你
Difficult?
难相处
Darren.
Darren
Right now I'm a VP at Essence Nation,
现在我是Essence Nation的副总裁
leading some really exciting campaigns.
策划了几场超棒的广♥告♥活动
Yeah, that's cool.
嗯 不错
But I also see here
但是我也注意到
that you only spent five months at Chiat/Day.
你在Chiat/Day广♥告♥公♥司♥只待了五个月
What happened here?
发生什么了
Essence Nation was closer to home.
Essence Nation离家近
My wife... she just had a baby,
我的妻子刚刚生了孩子
so it was a blessing being able to cut that commute down.
所以最好还是省去上下班的功夫
Yeah, but still...
但是 我还是
I'm surprised that you would leave one of the big dogs
有点惊讶你离开了一个大公♥司♥
to go to a small firm.
去了一个小公♥司♥
You know how it is for us at those big firms,
你知道我们在那些大公♥司♥里的境遇
it's not always better.
大公♥司♥并不总是更好
But at Essence Nation,
但是在Essence Nation
I'm working on campaigns on a level I had never done before.
我参与了各种广♥告♥活动 到达了我从未有过的高度
Well, what are we talking,
是什么呢
gas station ads?
加油站广♥告♥吗
Actually, it was the Kaiser Permanente campaign
事实上是凯撒医疗
with Regina King.
跟雷吉娜·金一起做的
You did that?
你有这样的经历呢
Hey, how did I not know that?
嘿 我怎么一点都不知道
Man, you are the reason that I'm drinking more water.
朋友 因为你我才多喝水
Ah, you know, there's... there's a lot of campaigns.
啊 各种广♥告♥太多了
Hard to keep track of them all.
很难全都理清楚
No, I should know what my fellow Black ad execs are doing.
不 我应该知道广♥告♥业高层中的黑人同胞在做什么
You know, what is happening to me?
你说 我到底怎么了
You know, one ding on you from the White man
那个白人说了你一句坏话
and I was convinced that I shouldn't give you this job.
我就确信不该雇佣你
Hell, you were here 15 minutes early
你提前15分钟到这儿
and I judged you for having that kind of free time.
我就因为你有这空闲时间而有了偏见
Excuse me? I was scrutinizing you more
什么 我会更多地审视你
because I assumed you only did commercials
就因为我以为你最多做做麦乐鸡块
where they rap about McNuggets.
唱rap的商业广♥告♥
It's no wonder I don't know any Black execs,
怪不得我不认识一个黑人高管
hell, I'm too busy second-guessing
该死的 我总是没完没了地质疑
whether they deserve to be here.
他们值不值得被我录用
You know what?
我决定了
That's gonna stop today.
从今天开始 我不会再这样了
Brother, this job is yours.
兄弟 这工作是你的了
I would love to have you on the team.
我诚心邀请你加入我们
Actually...
但其实
I think I'm gonna stay at the rapping nugget place,
我还是想留在唱麦乐鸡块rap那儿
but thank you.
但还是谢谢您
Oh, hey, hey, Darren.
哦 嘿 嘿 Darren
Wait. Wait a minute, bro.
等一下 兄弟
Do you know what four brothers could do at this place?
你知道四个兄弟能在这里成就什么吗
Ooh.
唔
I probably shouldn't have been in here for that. Ah.
我大概不应该在这抓拍到这一幕的 哈
While I was letting a Black protégé
当我正在职场上招聘失败 让一位黑人门生
slip through my fingers at work like sand,
如沙般划过我的指缝
Bow was trying to pressure one into a doctor diamond.
Bow正劝人学医
I found the letter that I was telling you about. That's it.
我找到我跟你提过的那封信了 就是这封
And, also, I remembered another med school story about perseverance.
对了 我还想起了另一则我学医时候坚持不懈的故事
It was my birthday
那天是我的生日
and the chief resident had just told me
我的总住院医师跟我说
that my gorgeous braids were unprofessional and they...
我美丽的辫子不适合工作场合 然后他们
Okay, Dr. Johnson, can we have a heart to heart?
行了 Johnson医生 我们能推心置腹直率点吗
Ooh. Ah, yes, please.
噢 好家伙 行啊 请说
You're telling me all these stories
您滔滔不绝地跟我讲您从前的那些故事
like they're funny, fond memories...
仿佛是有趣而欢喜的回忆一样
...but they're horrible.
但其实它们很可怖
剧集 | 喜新不厌旧(2014) | 导航列表