I put it you that you were trying to cover up what really happened.
我告诉你你一直在尽可能掩盖发生的事实。
There is another person in this court who was there
法庭里还有一位当时在场的人
who knew what happened. Remember that.
她知道发生了什么。也记住了。
Mr. Keane, what is your question?
Keane先生,你的问题是什么?
Do you still wish to allege-that Mrs. Paradine invented a cock-and-bull story-about your leaving the Colonel's service, and that this precipitated the quarrel?
你仍然坚持Paradine夫人编造了你要离开 不再服侍上校的荒诞故事并引发争吵吗?
Yes, sir, she did.
是的,先生,她编造了。
It would be her word against yours now. Yes, sir. So it was then, with the Colonel.
现在她的证词要与你的对质。 好的,先生。那么就那时,和上校在一起时。
You are then asking His Lordship and the jury to believe
接下来你是想请法官大人和陪审团相信
that after years of devoted service, in the field and in the sick chamber,
在多年的战场及病房♥的忠心服务后,
that you were in this position, that Colonel Paradine had absolutely no faith-in your word of honor?
你还处在这种境地,就是 Paradine上校无法对你绝对信任?
I put it you, Latour, that your story is a pack of lies.
我告诉你,Latour,你的故事是一派胡言。
Do you persist in it?
你还坚持吗?
If she says the contrary, she'd better...
如果她说的相反,她最好...
What was that you started to say?
你准备说什么?
Answer the question.
回答这个问题。
I stick to what I said.
我坚持我说过的话。
If you don't mind, Latour, I should like to go over that night with you again,
如果你不介意,Latour我愿意和你一起重温那一夜,
in case any small incidents have slipped your memory.
免得一些小事让你记性变差。
After the butler Lakin took the Colonel his dinner, where were you?
管家Lakin给上校送晚餐后,你在哪?
In my room.
在我房♥间。
Did he tell you about putting the glass of burgundy at the Colonel's bedside?
他交待过你放杯勃艮第酒在上校床边吗?
Yes.
是的。
Was that or was that not unusual?
这是不是不太寻常?
Maybe so.
也许吧。
No maybe about it. Was it or wasn't it?
这个没有也许。是或者不是?
It was, sir.
是,先生。
And after he'd told you this,
那么他交待你之后,
then you went upstairs again? Yes.
然后你又上楼了? 是的。
Why?
为什么?
I had no special reason, sir.
没有什么特别的原因,先生。
Shortly before, the Colonel had denounced you in strong language-for deserting him.
刚刚不久前,上校还激烈地指责你背弃他。
And yet you went upstairs for "no special reason"?
可你“没有什么特别原因”又到楼上去?
I was unhappy about being on bad terms with him.
我因为和他关系变糟而不高兴。
What's that? Speak up. The jury can't hear you.
说的什么?大点声。陪审团听不到你说什么。
I wanted to make it up with the Colonel.
我想和上校和解。
Very well.
很好。
You knocked at the Colonel's door and went in.
你敲了上校的门然后进去了。
I knocked on his door, I did not go in.
我敲门了,但没进去。
Very well, you knocked. And what happened then?
很好,你敲门了。那么接着发生了什么?
The Colonel told me to go away.
上校叫我走开。
He told you to go away?
你叫你走开?
Without even knowing who was knocking. No, sir. No.
甚至没有搞清楚是谁在敲门。 不是,先生。不是。
He asked who it was. And I told him.
他问是谁。我就回答。
Then he told me to go away.
然后他叫我走开。
You're very sharp, Latour.
你很犀利啊,Latour。
Tell me, what manner of tone did the Colonel use?
告诉我,上校用什么样的语气?
Sir? When he told you to go.
先生? 他叫你走的时候。
To get away from him.
离他远点。
My Lord, when Latour gave his evidence in chief
法官大人,Latour提供他主要的证据时,
the words used by him were, "The Colonel told me to go away."
他所用的话是,“叫我走开。”
Not, "Get away from me."
不是,“离我远点。”
"Go away," "Get away from me," what's the difference?
“走开,”“离我远点,”有什么区别?
My learned friend is sufficient of an artist to appreciate the difference-in shades of meaning. I prefer that he be accurate in these matters.
我这位博学的朋友足够做个领会语意微妙差别 的艺术家。我更期望他在这方面做得精准无误。
It's a point of no importance. Make it "go away," if you like.
这点不重要。就让它“走开”,如果你喜欢。
Mr. Keane, one moment, please.
Keane先生,请等一下。
Counsel for the Crown is right in his contention.
最高法♥院♥的律师的观点是正确的。
I agree you should be more careful.
我赞同你应该更仔细一点。
If Your Lordship pleases, I'll continue the cross examination.
如果高等法♥院♥法官大人高兴,我将继续交叉询问。
Latour, you used to help the Colonel get to bed, did you not?
Latour,你一向帮助上校就寝,不是吗?
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
Quite a complicated matter, getting a blind man to bed.
一个相当复杂的事情,帮失明者就寝。
Didn't everything have to be made ready?
很多事都不要准备吗?
His toothbrush, his pajamas, hot water bottle?
他的牙刷,他的睡衣,热水瓶?
Yes, sir.
要的,先生。
Yet you did not enter the room.
然而你没有进入房♥间。
Not even to see that Lakin had put the glass of burgundy in the right place
甚至没看到Lakin已经把那杯勃艮第酒放在妥当位置
where the Colonel wouldn't knock it over by mistake when reaching for it?
这样上校要拿酒的时候不会出错打翻?
I wasn't thinking about the burgundy.
我当时没想到勃艮第。
Very well.
很好。
You were wondering what to do to make it up with the Colonel
你正在纠结怎么和上校和解
and you were very much upset. Is that putting it fairly?
而且你非常沮丧。这没问题吗?
Yes, sir, I think so.
是的,先生,我这样想。
You have stated that you saw someone else in the hall.
你说过你看到庄园里还有别人。
Yes, sir. Mrs. Paradine.
是的,先生。Paradine夫人。
And what was she doing? Going into her bedroom.
那么她当时在做什么? 正走进她的卧室。
Mrs. Paradine's bedroom was directly across the hall-from the Colonel's bedroom. Is that correct?
从上校卧室到Paradine夫人卧室 要直接穿过庄园。这样对吗?
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
At the moment when you saw Mrs. Paradine,
当你看到Paradine夫人的那个时刻,
had you the remotest idea where she'd come from?
你会想到她从哪过来?
No, sir.
不,先生。
She might even have come out from her room,
她可能已从她房♥间出来。
seen you, and turned to go back in again.
看到你,然后转身又回去了。
It is possible.
这有可能。
But she could not have come out from the Colonel's room-without going around you.
但没有绕着你走的话,是不能从上校房♥间出来的。
Or through you.
否则就经过你。
Is that correct?
这样对吗?
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
Now, you saw Mrs. Paradine go into her room and shut the door.
现在,你看到Paradine夫人进她卧室并关上门。
What did you do then?
然后你做什么?
Nothing. I hung about for a minute or two...
没做什么。我闲逛了一两分钟...
What was your purpose in hanging about "for a minute or two"?
你闲逛“一两分钟”的目的是什么?
I didn't have any purpose, sir. I just...
我是漫无目的,先生。我只是...
I just didn't know what to do. Then I decided to go downstairs.
我只是不知道该做什么。后来我决定下楼。
Tell me, Latour,
告诉我,Latour。
have you ever seen anyone die by poison?
你曾经见到过死于毒药的人吗?
No, sir.
没有,先生。
Or any animal?
或者动物?
No, sir.
没有,先生。
Wasn't there an old dog put away by poison at Hindley about two years ago?
大概2年前Hindley没有一条老狗被毒药处理吗?
Yes, sir. I beg your pardon, sir, I almost forgot.
有,先生。请原谅,先生,我差不多忘了。
Yes, so we noticed.
是的,那么我们注意到。
It was killed by poison, wasn't it?
它是死于毒药,不是吗?
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
It was the Colonel's old hunting dog. He was sick.
那是上校的老猎犬。它病了。
So we put him away. You see...
所以我们处理了。你看...
You mean, you put him away.
你是说,是你处理的。
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
And what poison did you use?
那么你用的什么毒药?
I don't know, sir. You don't know?
我不知道。先生。 你不知道?
Did you keep any of it? No, sir.
你还留存一些吗? 没有,先生。
We got the single dose from the vet... Don't keep on saying "we."
我们从兽医那得到一剂... 不要总是说“我们。”
You mean, you did? Yes, sir.
你是说,是你做的? 是的,先生。
It wasn't a big dose?
那不是大剂量吧?
No, sir. Very small.
不是,先生。非常小。
And it acted very quickly.
而且见效非常快。
Yes, it did.
是的,是这样。
I understand what you mean to say.
我明白你话的意思了。
He's accusing me of poisoning my Colonel. But I didn't! I didn't!
他要指控我毒死了我的上校。可我没有!我没有!
I must ask the witness to collect himself...
我必须要求证人控制情绪...
But it's not true, I tell you.
但这不是真的。我要告诉你们。
I didn't do it. How could I?
我没有做。我怎么能?
I must again caution the witness
我必须再次警告证人
to confine himself to answering questions.
仅限于回答问题。
He is not on trial.
他没有受审。
It is quite unnecessary for him to make protestations of innocence-concerning actions with which he has not been charged.
对他来说,完全没有必要就其未被 指控的相关行为提出无罪声明。
And I think, Mr. Keane, this will be a convenient opportunity to adjourn.
还有我认为,Keane先生,现在是休庭的适当机会。
We will resume at 2:05.
我们将于2时5分继续。
I swear by Almighty God that I shall well and truly keep this jury
以全能的上帝之名起誓,我将尽力忠实地维持陪审团
in some private and convenient place-with such accommodation as the court shall direct.
在如法♥院♥指导的那样私人的实用的地方。
I will not suffer any person to speak to them,
未经法庭许可,我不允许任何人与他们交谈,
电影精选列表