Elizabeth是你们家人的朋友
I mean, Elizabeth was a family friend.
你在她还是个小姑娘的时候就认识她了
You'd known her since she was a little girl.
你的首笔投资
Did that go into your thinking,
和这件事有关吗
in terms of your initial investment?
没有 我当时已经从事风险投资很长时间了
No. We've been- - I've been in the venture business a long time.
我是特斯拉的首批投资人 Skype的首批投资人
I was the first investor in Tesla, first investor in Skype,
以及百度和Hotmail的首批投资人
first investor in Baidu, first investor in Hotmail.
我总是早早投资
I always invest early.
我看到一个愿景时就投资
I invest when I see a vision,
我看到了机会
I see the opportunity,
然后我看到我认为能成功的人
and I see the person who I think can make it there.
我们甚至投资 比如说
I mean, we invest in, you know,
一个姑娘和一条狗 或者两个小伙子和一只猫
a girl and a dog, or two guys and a cat.
我们当时的想法是 这个人是否能够将贡献自己的一生
We just say, "Is this person going to dedicate their life,
然后做成一项非比寻常的事业呢
and make something extraordinary happen?"
如果是的话 那她就是这个人
And yes, in that case, she was that person.
所以事实就是 数据
So, the reality is that data
并不占据我们的大脑
just doesn't sit in our mind
至少不像故事那么重要
as much as stories do.
它更像是粘黏所有数据的胶水
It's almost like the glue that takes all of the data,
而更重要的是
and even more important,
故事有情感 而数据是没有的
stories have emotions that data doesn't.
情感会让人们
And emotions get people to...
做各种事情 好的和坏的
to do all kinds of things, good and bad.
如果你认为给她投资的人
And if you think about the people who invested in her
并没有看到什么数据的话
with very little amount of data,
那就是他们有情感上的诉求 关于信仰
it's about having an emotional appeal and about having trust,
相信她所讲得故事 被故事所感动
and believing the story, and being moved by this,
然后还能给自己讲述故事
and being able to tell themselves a story.
10年来我们都在做这个工作 我们没有网站
For 10 years, we did this work. We didn't have a website.
我们从不发布新闻稿
We never put out a press release.
完全是埋头苦干
It was completely heads down.
当我们达到一个阶段 意识到
When we got to a point in which we realized
我们所做的可以使个体受益时
that what we were doing could serve individuals,
我想要找到
I wanted to find the people
具有战略头脑的人
who were just strategically brilliant.
Mattis将军 是前任
General Mattis, who was former
美国中♥央♥司令部的指挥官 是我们的董事之一
CENTCON Commander, is one of our board members.
Dick Kovacevich 他是
Dick Kovacevich, who is
富国银行的前CEO 也是董事
the former CEO of Wells Fargo is another.
Sam Nunn在核威胁和生化威胁方面
Sam Nunn has done some incredible work
做出了许多非常杰出的工作
on nuclear threats as well as biothreats.
Bill Perry 前美国国防部长
Bill Perry, former secretary of defense.
Henry Kissinger 前美国国务卿
Henry Kissinger, former secretary of state.
还有George Shultz
And George Shultz,
前美国国务卿
who was secretary of state
和劳工和财政部部长
and labor and secretary of treasury.
大概是三年以前 我看着她说
About three years ago, I looked at her and I said, "Well,
好了 我要跟我孙女的一个朋友开个会
I'm about to have a meeting with a friend of my granddaughter."
- 对 - 当她开始说话的时候
- Yes. - As soon as she started talking,
我都反应不过来了*
I did a double take...
我第一次见到Elizabeth是在我祖父的客厅里
I first met Elizabeth in my grandfather's living room.
当时他给我打电♥话♥ 说他要请一位
So, he had called me up and said that he was going to have
非常聪明的女人到家里来讨论
some brilliant woman over to have a discussion.
他觉得我可能有兴趣来
He thought that I would be interested
所以我就去了他家
in coming, so I went to his house.
有我 我祖父 Elizabeth
It was me, my grandfather, Elizabeth,
然后Dianne Feinstein当时也在
and Dianne Feinstein was there as well.
Elizabeth提出了她的梦想 就是改变
Elizabeth kind of pitched her dream of changing the way
医学诊断的方式 在这个领域内绝对是革命性的
diagnostics is done, really revolutionizing the field.
是啊 我对Theranos完全热情高涨
Yeah, I was totally gung- ho about Theranos.
我对她所说的话超级激动
I was really excited about what she was talking about.
我真的很想知道这项技术是什么
I really wanted to know what the technology was.
事实上我当时就在会上问她
And I actually asked her, in that meeting,
能不能暑假的时候去她那里实习
if I could intern there over the summer.
我问她 你们收实习生吗
I said, do you guys take interns?
我想去工作看看 听起来棒极了
Like, I want to work on this. This sounds amazing.
我们认为
We think that...
在预防医学方面
there's going to be a revolution
将迎来一次革命
in preventive medicine.
他跟Elizabeth的关系真的很亲近
I mean, he had a really close relationship with Elizabeth.
她几乎就像是 我们家庭的成员
She was almost like... becoming part of the family.
她参加过我们家的生日派对 还有圣诞节也来
She was coming to our birthday parties and Christmases.
我们认为这是市面上最为乐观向上的事情之一
We think this is one of the most optimistic things out there
关于医疗健康系统 它的成本和它存在的问题
about the health care system and its costs and its problems.
你跟George Shultz谈过话 他是个令人印象很深的人
You talk to George Shultz. He's a very impressive man.
他把她当做女儿一样对待 我对此印象深刻
And I was impressed that he adopted her like a daughter.
他真的很信任她
He really believed in her.
从外界来看 大家都在这么想
From the outside, all you're thinking is,
哇 这董事会好牛
wow, what a board!
对吧 阵容非常厉害
Right? I mean, it's just impressive.
他们就真的 我跟他们大部分人都有交谈
And they were really- - And I talked to most of them.
他们都被她 真的被她深深打动了
They were impressed with- - really impressed with her.
这位是Mattis将军 我们现在正在录音
This is General Mattis. I assume we're on the record,
直到您告诉我停止 我就会关掉录音机
unless you tell me not, and I'll shut off this recorder.
- 但是 - 好的
- But... - Okay.
当你想到Elizabeth的时候
When you think of Elizabeth,
首先印入脑海的是哪些形容的词呢
what are the first words that come to your mind?
首先是正直
First is integrity,
呃 有能力
uh, competence,
这里的能力包括技术上的 科学上的
and competence is both technical, scientific,
还包括在关注人♥权♥上
but also focused on human rights
是以一种最经典的意义上来关注
in the most classical sense of what
什么是人♥权♥
human rights are about.
然后突然间 你就有能力知道
And all of a sudden, you have the ability to know
某个人是否患病 我是说
if someone is ill or not. I mean,
就是字面意思 在抽取一滴血液
literally, within minutes of taking...
仅仅几分钟之内
you know, a drop of blood.
她真的
And I mean, she is really...
在最真实的意义上实现了一次革命
a revolutionary in the truest sense.
跟这些人一起度过的时光真的棒极了
It was quite amazing to spend time with these people.
他们谈论起她好像她是贝多芬一样
They were talking about her as if she were Beethoven.
就好像她是一种罕见的生物
As if she was this rare creature
那种百年甚至两百年才出这么一个
that maybe one in a century or two in a century come along,
是真的能改变这个世界
who really can change the world.
我记得我采访过Henry Kissinger
And I remember when I interviewed Henry Kissinger,
在医学方面其实我并不相信他
I didn't trust him on medical stuff,
就更别提什么柬埔寨了
not to mention on Cambodia, but...
可是当我问起关于她的时候
But when I asked him about her,
他这样描述
he described...
优秀的女商人
Excellent businesswoman.
让我看看能不能电♥话♥外放
Let me see that I can put this on speaker for a minute.
- 对我来说会更方便 - 好的
- Be easier for me. - Okay.
可是我不知道怎么弄
Yeah, but I don't know how to do that.
你把它放在
- You put it on ho- -
- 现在怎么样 - 我听得很清楚
- How about it now? - I hear you loud and clear.
- 好了吗 - 完美
- You okay? - Perfect.
你对她运作这个董事会的印象如何
What's your impression of how she runs the board?
有人告诉我 说这些董事会会议
I'm told you once said that these board meetings,
整天都在举♥行♥
which go on all day...
你知道 不管你对Henry Kissinger怎么想
You know, whatever you think of Henry Kissinger,
他见过很多领导 他见过很多世界领袖
he's met a lot of leaders, he's met a lot of world leaders,
他也见过很多企业领导
he met a lot of corporate leaders.
我认为他是这方面的专家
I thought he might be a judge,
可事实是
but the truth is that
这些人中没有一个真正处于那种能够
none of these people were really in a position to know what- -
- 评判的位置 因为他们并不具备这个资格 - 是 不 不
- To judge 'cause they didn't have the qualifications. - Yeah. No. No.
她并不真的想要科学方面的输入
She didn't really want scientific input
这是我自己的判断
from what I could determine.
更多是像搞工程
Engineering a bit more
电影精选列表