我们有很棒机会
We've had a great opportunity
向很多人询问关于
in asking so many people so many questions
未来 建议等各方面的问题
about things ranging from the future to, kind of, advice,
我们觉得应该快速的问一些
and we thought we'd ask a few questions
涉及范围很广的问题
that run a little bit of a gamut, really quickly.
- 好的 - 您能看镜头吗
- Mm. Okay. - Can you look into the lens?
有一个我们觉得很有意思的问题想要问你
We thought it would be interesting to ask you,
到2025年你最确定的一件事是什么
in the year 2025, what's the thing you're most certain about?
我觉得是更多的人有途径了解到自身的健康信息
More people will have access to their own health information.
到2025年你的梦想是什么
What do you dream for? Something in 2025?
不再有那么多人过早地跟所爱的人说永别
That less people have to say goodbye too soon to people they love.
这个很棒 能跟我们说一个你的秘密吗
That's great. Can you tell us a secret?
我没什么秘密 呃...
I don't have many secrets. Um...
你算是科学家 技术专家还是企业家
Are you a scientist or a technologist? Or an entrepreneur?
我觉得我是个企业家
I think I'm an entrepreneur.
尽管过去我接受的是工程师相关的训练
I was trained as an engineer,
但...眼下我把时间都花在了实现这一使命上
but... now my time is spent on doing whatever it takes to realize this mission.
Theranos是结合了治疗和诊断这两个词而来的
Theranos is the integration of the words therapy and diagnosis.
如果我们可以研究出一种
And if we can shift toward a model in which
能够帮助我们确定疾病发作以便有效治疗的模型的话
we're determining the onset of disease in time for therapy to be effective,
我们将改变结果
we will change outcomes.
你是在12年前成立这家公♥司♥的 对吗
You founded this company 12 years ago, right?
跟大家说一下你当时多大吧
Tell 'em how old you were.
我当时19岁
I was 19.
我从没打算过要从斯坦福退学
There was never sort of a plan to drop out of Stanford,
但我找到了自己喜欢做的事情
but I found what I loved.
我找到了想要毕生从事的事情
I found what I wanted to spend my life doing.
Elizabeth获得了超过4亿美元的投资
Elizabeth has raised more than $400 million.
现在公♥司♥市值90亿美元
The company is valued at $9 billion.
你拥有公♥司♥50%股权对吗
You own over 50% of it, right?
祝贺你
Congratulations on that.
我们得到了一个非常好的机会
We've got an incredible opportunity to try to uphold
试着秉承硅谷改变世界的这一传统
a legacy in Silicon Valley of changing the world.
我们喜欢把它想象成一部电影
And we like to think about it as a movie,
那样你就可以以更好的方式来看待这个故事
and you can begin to see that story in a better way.
我们可以看到一个所有人都可以
We see a world in which every person has access
在关键的时候对健康信息可付诸行动的世界
to actionable health information at the time it matters.
一个没有人会说"要是我早点知道的话"的世界
A world in which no one ever has to say, "If only I'd known sooner."
一个没有人会过早告别亲朋的世界
A world in which no one ever has to say goodbye too soon.
这个世界自此开始
This future is beginning now.
有个坐落在硅谷高处的山麓丘陵地带
Nestled in the foothills above Silicon Valley,
占地700英亩
there is a 700- acre plot of land
叫做斯坦福研究园区的地方
called the Stanford Research Park.
根据其官网描述
According to the website,
这是一个汇聚了寻求创造未来的人群的社区
it's a community of and for people who seek to invent the future.
微波管 大型计算机
From here came elements of the microwave tube,
以及国际空间站的基础都出自这里
the mainframe computer, and the International Space Station.
Steve Jobs在这里待过 Mark Zuckerberg和Elon Musk也一样
Steve Jobs spent time here, so did Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk.
Elizabeth Holmes在他们的身上看到了自己
Elizabeth Holmes saw herself in their company.
于是在2014年的秋天
So in the fall of 2014,
她把她的生物科技初创公♥司♥Theranos搬到了这个研究园区
she moved her biotech startup Theranos to the research park.
曾经公♥司♥员工数达800人 公♥司♥市值接近100亿美元
The company employed 800 people and was valued at nearly $10 billion.
然而四年后它一文不值
Four years later, it was worth less than zero.
为了了解发生了什么
To understand what happened,
回顾一下故事的价值是值得的
it pays to look past the price of the stock to the value of the story.
这个从一滴血中预测数百种疾病的引人入胜的故事
This compelling tale of divining hundreds of diseases from a drop of blood
是对发明者想象力的一种证明
was a testament to the imagination of the inventor.
在这座她设计的废弃房♥产中
In the deserted property she designed,
你几乎可以听到她的雄心壮志在回响
you can almost hear the echoes of her ambition
也能看到蕴含着希望的透明玻璃墙
and see how glass walls, promising transparency,
是如何变为镜子迷宫的
could become a labyrinth of mirrors.
Elizabeth是否迷失在她所能创造的现实
Was Elizabeth lost in a landscape between what she could make real
和虚幻的世界之间了?
and the world of make- believe?
就我而言 这是一个关于人们是如何随着时间的推移
For me, this was a story of how people get trapped
而陷入价值观权衡的陷阱中的故事
over time with trading off human values.
然后 当人和事发生变化时
And then, the way that they trade off those values
他们权衡这些价值观的方式就会改变
change them as people and things go down.
因此一部分是为了去了解...
So part of it was trying to understand- -
我觉得Elizabeth的一路历程
and I think this is part of the story-
是这个故事的一部分
-is the journey for Elizabeth.
有些人选择了
Some people take a path,
试着为这个世界做一些积极贡献的道路 对吧
trying to do positive things for the world, right?
谁都没怀疑过她的动机是否积极
Nobody questions that her motives were...
然而最终结局却不太好
were positive, but end up being something bad.
我们对此该作何反应
How do we react to this?
你可以只看结局并质问她怎么能这么做
You can look at her at the end, and say how could she do this,
但我认为如果不了解一下这段历程的话
but I think that would miss the point
你就会错过重点
if you don't understand the journey.
如果你从一开始就关注她的话
If you look at her from the beginning,
这对我们来说就将会是个关于所有人的警世寓言
it will be a cautionary tale about all of us.
我从小就跟我叔叔一起过暑假和其他假期
I grew up spending summers and the holidays with my uncle.
我记得他非常喜欢海滩
I remember how much he loved the beach.
我还记得我很喜欢他
I remember how much I loved him.
某天他被诊断出了皮肤癌
He was diagnosed one day with skin cancer,
然后又突然转移成了脑癌和骨癌
which all of a sudden was brain cancer, and in his bones.
他没能活着看到他儿子长大
He didn't live to see his son grow up,
我也没能跟他告别
and I never got to say goodbye.
保护我们所爱的每个人的健康和福祉
The right to protect the health and well- being of every person,
是一项基本人♥权♥
of those we love, is a basic human right.
在过去的十一年中
Over the course of the last 11 years,
我们已经可以做到通过几滴指尖血
we've made it possible to run comprehensive laboratory tests
进行全面的实验室检测
from a few drops of blood that could be taken from a finger.
我们已经可以不再需要用传统的各种采血管
And we've made it possible to eliminate the tubes and tubes of blood
从胳膊上抽血
that traditionally have to be drawn from an arm,
而是用纳米管来替代
and replaced it with the nanotainer.
如果说我有什么愿望跟在场各位分享的话
And if I had one wish, standing here with all of you,
那就是没有人需要经历传统采血的痛苦
it would be that no one has to go through the pain of traditional phlebotomy.
我一直都...非常害怕抽血
I was always... absolutely terrified of giving blood.
抽血是我人生中唯一害怕的事情
It's the only thing in my life I've ever been scared of.
如果我们来设计酷刑实验
If we were to sit here and dream up torture experiments,
从心理上来说 那种一遍又一遍地
psychologically, the concept of sticking large needles
把粗大的针头扎进人的身体里
over and over into someone, and draining out so much blood,
让他们眼睁睁的看着自己的血被抽出来
while they're watching this blood being sucked out of them,
这一切基本上已经让他们变得虚弱不堪了
that you've basically completely debilitated them,
对我来说这种就是非常标准的酷刑实验了
that qualifies as a pretty good torture experiment in my book.
我觉得这很令人不安
I find it quite disturbing.
这个技术员正在为白细胞计数准备血样
This technician is preparing the blood sample for a white cell count.
她用一种特殊的液体来稀释血液
She dilutes the blood with a special fluid
并把量好的量放入移液管中
and puts a measured amount into a pipette.
自从临床实验室基础设施开始发展
Since, really, the clinical lab infrastructure began to develop,
我们就开始使用这种高度集中的
we've had this highly centralized, very big,
体积庞大 需要大量血液的分♥析♥仪器
analytical instruments which require that much blood,
因此每次抽血的时候
and therefore, people have had to take tubes and tubes
人们都得使用大量的采血管
every time they do a blood draw.
实验室检测从20世纪50年代以来就没再变过
So, laboratory testing hasn't changed since the 1950s.
这是我所见过的最接近大型计算机的东西
It's the closest thing to mainframe computers versus- -
都不是个人电脑和手♥机♥之间的对比
it's not even PCs- - versus mobile phones that... that I've ever seen, right?
改变这种模式的时机已经非常成熟
So, the timing is very ripe to change this paradigm.
真正努力的工作是没有捷径可走的
There's no shortcut to really hard work.
我们从失败中学到的东西
And we learn so much more from our failures
远比从成功中学到的多得多
than we did from our successes.
我们之所以把产品命名为爱迪生
We code- named our product "The Edison"
正是因为我们认为必须失败上一万次才会在第一万零一次成功
because we assumed we'd have to fail 10,000 times to get it to work the 10,001st.
而我们做到了
And we did.
发明东西意味着什么
What does it mean to invent something?
可能是创造 也可能是欺骗
It could be an act of creation, or an act of deception.
这两点世界上最伟大的发明家都做到了
The world's greatest inventor did both.
我们认为托马斯·爱迪生是留声机 电灯泡
We think of Thomas Edison as the inventor of the phonograph,
以及我们看待世界的方式的发明者
the electric light bulb, and the way we look at the world.
爱迪生的公♥司♥制♥造♥了第一部电影摄影机
Edison's company made one of the first motion picture cameras
电影精选列表