他给Theranos发了些有刺探性的问题
and then he sent Theranos some prodding questions,
里面包含了一个数字
and there was just one number in there.
42.9% 是我为那些检测计算的数据
42.9% that I had calculated for one of these tests,
这个数字我曾经用邮件发给过Elizabeth
that was also in an e- mail that I had sent to Elizabeth.
大概一个月之后
About a month after that,
我去跟我的父母吃晚饭
I went to go have dinner with my parents.
我一进门 我父亲就问
I walk in the door, and my dad says,
你是不是跟一个华尔街日报的记者说过什么
"Have you been speaking to a Wall Street Journal reporter?"
我说是的
And I said yes.
然后他说 他们已经知道了
And he said, "Well, they know."
我离开Theranos之后
After I leave Theranos,
有点希望离他们越远越好
I kind of want to be as far away from them as possible.
我找了份别的工作
I was working another job, and at this point,
此时我已经跟华尔街日报的John Carreyou谈了次话
I had talked to John Carreyou from the Wall Street Journal,
他在做一份新闻调查报告
who was doing an investigative report.
有天我在上班 挺晚了
So, I'm at work one day. I'm working late,
我的两个同事准备回家了
and two of my colleagues are leaving,
他们走了 大楼里将会就剩我自己了
and I'm going to be the only one in the building.
他们看了一下外面 说了句 嘿 Erika
And they look outside, and they're like, "Hey, Erika.
外面有个人
"There's been this guy who's just been sitting
已经在咱们的停车场坐了一整天了
in our parking lot for the whole day."
这是非常奇怪的事情
And that's very unusual.
所以 他们跟我一起走向我的车
So, they walk me to my car,
然后那个家伙走过来 给了我这封信
and then this guy comes up, and he gives me this letter.
信封上有我临时居住地方的地址
And it has the address of this temporary home
没人知道这个地址
that I'm staying at, so no one knows this address.
我打开 信来自David Boies
And I open it, and it's a letter from David Boies.
如果你不提供X Y Z文件
"If you don't come forward with
或者举报过这些人
"X,Y, and Z document, or report these people,
我们有可能起诉你
there's a potential that we could sue you."
对我来说这非常可怕
It was quite, quite scary for me.
尤其是在我那个状态下
Especially coming from a position of,
我那时候才23岁吧
what, I was 23 at that point?
我没有钱
You know, I had not really
请不起律师什么的
any money to spend on lawyers or anything.
我真是吓坏了
I was really freaked out.
我提出要采访Elizabeth好几个月了
I'd been asking for an interview with Elizabeth for several months,
他们一直搪塞我
and they were giving me the runaround.
最后 2015年六月
Finally, in June 2015,
我们同意在华尔街日报的办公室开个会
we agreed that we'd have a meeting at the Journal offices.
来的是Theranos代表团 一行七人
This Theranos delegation comes in, it's seven people,
其中四个是律师
four of whom are lawyers,
领头的是David Boies 另外有Heather King
led by David Boies, and one of the other lawyers is Heather King...
Heather目前已经作为顾问加入了我们
Heather has just joined us as our general counsel.
她曾经是Boies Schiller的合伙人
who had been a Boies Schiller partner,
之前还做过希拉里克♥林♥顿♥的副手
former Hillary Clinton aide.
会议刚开始几分钟
Couple of minutes into the meeting, Heather King
Heather King拿出一个小录音机放在了桌上
puts a little tape recorder down on the table.
另一个Boies Schiller事务所的律师也拿出了一个小录音机
Another Boies Schiller attorney put a little tape recorder
放在会议桌的另一端
on the other end of the conference table,
很明显他们想要用这个
and it was very clear that they were approaching this
作为法律程序中的一个证词
as a deposition in a legal proceeding.
如果他们要录音 那我也要录音
If they were going to record, then I was going to record as well.
好 我们今天来
Okay, so, you know, we're here today
是要帮助你们认识到
to do our part to help educate you on what
至少我认为
I, at least, believe are some,
这些问题基于了一些错误的前提
you know, false premises upon which the questions are based.
这些问题非常严重 他们包含了一些
They're very serious questions, and there's some very serious, uh,
严重的指控
allegations in those questions.
我求助David Boies
I also turn to David Boies.
David参与了所有的董事会议
David attends all the board meetings.
如果没这些事 我们也不会在这花费时间和功夫...
We wouldn't be here, spend all this time and effort if the, you know,
- 我们有一项科技 - 所以为什么我们不能自♥由♥讨论科技呢
- we've got a technology-- - So, why don't we discuss it more freely?
因为那是商业机密 这就是为什么
Yeah, because it's trade secret! That's why!
因为你们不肯签保密协议
And because you won't sign an NDA!
真的有一项新的科技吗
Is there really new technology?
这就是重点
That's the point.
它到底是不是新的科技
Is it really new technology...
它是一项以前没人能做到的事情
This something no one's been able to do before.
好吗 Theranos做到了
Okay? Theranos is doing it, um,
除非有魔法相助 否则那就是新科技
And unless it's magic, you know, it's a new technology.
据我所知 大部分血液样本
I knew that most of their blood tests
都是在第三方商业化的设备上
were run on commercial analyzers
进行检测的
made by third party companies.
所以就像我说的
And so I said, how can this even fall
如果检测不是在Theranos的设备上进行的
under the bucket of trade secrets,
怎么能算是商业机密呢
if these aren't even Theranos machines.
你是在说商业机密也包括
Are you saying that the trade secrets also covers
你们在西门子Advia上做检测的手法吗
the way in which you run a blood sample on the Siemens Advia?
我觉得我不知道你这个问题的答案
I think, I don't know the answer to that,
但是我可以告诉你它能做什么不能做什么
but I can tell you that it could or it could not.
听起来你们想让我们把可乐的配方给你
It just feels like you want us to give you the formula for Coke
就为了证明配方里不含砒霜
in order to convince you that it doesn't contain arsenic.
没人跟你要可乐的配方
Nobody's asked for the formula for Coke.
我们只是在寻找一个一般性的解释
We're looking for a generic explanation.
你不需要知道它们是怎么工作的
You don't need to know how they work.
很难相信
Well, to believe...
听起来像绿野仙踪的故事
It sounds like the Wizard of Oz...
我们又说了几回车轱辘话
So, we went around in circles,
他们这么严防死守
and the fact that they were stonewalling
用这种强硬的方式
uh, in such a strong way,
让我觉得我们的思路是对的
made me feel like we were on the right track.
在我们看来很明显
You know, it seems apparent to us that certainly
你们其中一个主要线人是一个叫Tyler Shultz的年轻人
one of your key sources is a young man named Tyler Shultz
因为你们提到的这些问题
because the concerns that you are raising
与他在公♥司♥很短的工作时间里
precisely are concerns that he raised in the very brief time
提到的问题完全吻合
that he was at our company.
我不知道 我不记得他的原话了
I don't know, I don't remember his exact words,
但是他说 他们知道了 他们知道了
but he said, "Well, they know. They know."
所以 我打电♥话♥给我的祖父 他说
So, I called my grandfather and he said,
"Elizabeth告诉我说
"Elizabeth tells me that you've been speaking...
你把商业机密告诉了
"that you've been giving trade secrets away
华尔街日报
"to the Wall Street Journal,
你知道 一旦华尔街日报发表这种文章
"and, you know what, if this story gets published,
你的事业就全完了
"that essentially, your career will be ruined, but...
但是如果你能来签署一页保密协议
"there's a one- page confidentiality agreement
这件事就算没发生"
you can sign to just make it all go away."
第二天我去了他家 他说
And so, I go to his house the next morning, and he said, "Okay, well,
"现在有两个Theranos的律师在这儿"
there are actually two Theranos lawyers here right now."
我当时
I was...
对将要发生的事情非常紧张
extremely nervous about what was going to happen,
对整个局势非常不舒服
very uncomfortable with the whole situation.
他们进来给了我
They come in and they give me
一个36小时后要出庭的通知
a notice to appear in court in about 36 hours,
一个临时限制令
a temporary restraining order,
还有一封署名David Boies的信
and a letter signed by David Boies.
他们真的让我感觉完全孤立
They really made me feel like I was alone.
我是落水狗 我将要被打垮
I was the underdog. I was going to get crushed.
早安 国务卿先生
Good morning, Mr. Secretary.
早安
Good morning.
您还记得那天Tyler来您家
Do you recall a time when Tyler came to your home,
然后有些Boies Schiller的律师也在的事吗
and there were some attorneys from the Boies Schiller firm there?
我不会叫那些人律师的
I wouldn't call them attorneys.
来的那个人像动物一样
The man was some sort of an animal.
野兽
Wild animal.
他攻击我的孙子
And he assaulted my grandson.
简直是我见过的最蠢的事情
Was one of the dumbest things I've ever observed.
您提到那个人攻击了您的孙子 您能更详细一点吗
When you say that the man assaulted your grandson, can you be--
言语上 言语上 他就是步步紧逼
Verbally, verbally, he just went after him.
如果事情不是及时结束
If it hadn't ended when it did,
电影精选列表