也很受患者欢迎
and they really liked that.
令我担忧的是 作为一个医生
What made me concerned was, as a physician,
你可以给实验室打电♥话♥询问基本情况
you can call the lab and ask simple questions,
我们可以向任何实验室提出这些问题
and these are questions that we would ask any lab.
但对于Theranos 就没有这么透明
But Theranos, they weren't very transparent.
我们试图告诉患者这一事实
We tried to tell patients that,
我们对这些检测结果持怀疑态度
"Listen, we're not getting a lot of information
因为我们无法了解到
"about how they do their testing,
他们是如何进行检测的
and so we're kind of unsure of them."
但是很快 Theranos开始派发代金券和礼品卡
But then, Theranos started giving out vouchers or gift cards
来进行免费的血液检查
to get labs, free labs done there.
事态就有一点失控了
And so it just kind of... exploded.
妈妈 你是我们家庭重要的一部分 因为
Mom, you really are an important part of our family because
我们真的很爱你
we really, uh, love you so much.
你的健康对我们来说很重要
Your health is really important to us.
孩子们都爱你
The kids adore you.
好了孩子
Está bien, chiquita.
Theranos 礼品卡
Theranos gift cards.
没有什么能比所爱之人的健康更重要
Because nothing is more important than the health of those you love.
开机
Marker.
由于我在采血领域的背景
Because of my extensive background in phlebotomy,
他们给我一份培训员的工作
they offered me the trainer job.
我主要的工作是给Walgreens的药剂师和技术人员
Basically, I was training the Walgreens technicians
进行指尖采血培训
and pharmacist to do the fingerstick process because
因为Walgreens之前并没有人有处理血液或体液的经验
no one at Walgreens had ever handled blood or bodily fluids.
比如
So, talking about, uh,
如何处理血液感染
what do you do in case of an exposure and
如何应对青少年
how do you handle adolescents,
如何处理一切意外
um, just, you know, just everything.
比如有人晕倒怎么办
What do you do if someone faints?
我们的目标是在全国范围内
Our goal is to be within five miles
通过Walgreens将服务送到每个家庭的五公里之内
of every person's home through the Walgreens nationally.
我们将令人们无需再经历
Our success will be in being able to make it possible
被巨大针头采血的痛苦
for no one to ever have to go through the process of
并能便捷获取血液检测结果
being stabbed by a big needle to get blood anymore,
视作我们的成功
and be able to begin to get access to this lab.
在我进行调查期间
As I was doing my research,
他们提供大约90个检测项目
they had about 90 tests,
而在我即将发表时
and by the time I was ready to publish,
检测项目已经超过200个了
they had over 200.
我很好奇 在那时
I wondered at the time
她到底是怎么将200个不同的检测项目集中监测
how exactly was she miniaturizing 200 different tests,
以及要怎么通过这么小的检测仪
and how exactly were you going to get
来获取所有检测结果
all of this done in the small analyzers?
而且她比其他机构的收费都更低
And she was charging so much less than the others,
这些都降低了她的可信度
so all of that strained credulity.
我只是没想到这位真诚的
I just didn't think that this very sincere,
认真的 理想化的年轻女士
earnest, idealistic, young woman
不仅欺骗了我
was deceiving not just me,
还欺骗了Walgreens公♥司♥和投资人
but Walgreens Corporation and investors...
获得了超过四亿投资
to the tune of more than $400 million at that point.
能够为人们提供
To be able to give people
改变人生的工具
the tools to change their life
是我们的荣幸
is an incredible blessing. It's a privilege.
每一天
Every single day,
我很感激这项事业的进展
I'm just so grateful for the way in which this is unfolding.
这是上帝的礼物
It's a gift from God.
我们要明白这其实是关于
We have to understand that this is all about
希望世界是某个样子的
wanting the world to be a certain way,
并以此为据指导我们的行为
and basically being able to rationalize our actions
试图实现这一梦想
to try and make it true.
你必须迫切的想要某个东西
You have to want a certain thing,
然后你就会有种曲解事实
and then you should be able to kind of bend reality,
或是合理化某种行为的能力 来使你最终达成目标
or rationalize things to allow you to do that.
但另一件事是
But the other thing is that
如果这一行为是出于善意目的呢
what about reasons for good?
我告诉你我们做过的一个研究
And I'll tell you about a study we did.
实验过程是这样
And the experiment works like this.
我们给测试者一个骰子 一个六面骰子
We give people a dice, a six- sided dice,
我们告诉测试者 可以扔骰子
and we say, "Why don't you throw the dice?"
我们会支付相应的数目
And we'll pay you whatever it comes up.
如果是六 你会得到六美元
Comes in six, you'll get six dollars.
是五 就会得到五美元 四 三 直到一
five, five dollars, four, and so on until one.
但是 你可以选择是要顶面还是底面
But, you can get paid based on the top side or the bottom side.
你决定顶面还是底面 但不要告诉我们
Top or bottom, you decide, but don't tell us.
我给你个骰子 告诉你 别告诉我选了哪面
So, I give you the die, I say, "Don't tell me."
顶面还是底面 想好了吗 想好了吧
Think top or bottom. You have it? You know which one?
现在 扔骰子吧
Now, toss the dice.
假如骰子扔出了底面是五
And let's say the dice comes five on the bottom
顶面是二 现在我说
and two on the top. And now I say,
Alex 你选了哪面
"Alex, what did you pick?"
现在 如果你选了底面 就说底面 会得到五美元
Now, if you picked bottom, you say bottom, you get five dollars.
你选了顶面
You pick top,
你会说什么 实话吗 顶面吗
what do you say? You say the truth? Top?
或者你会改主意吗 只要说是底面就能得到五美元
Or do you change your mind? You say bottom and get five dollars.
在我们的实验中 人们做二十次实验
In our experiment, people do this 20 times.
每次他们内心决定顶面还是底面
And every time they think top or bottom,
掷骰子 记住他们的选择
commit it to memory, toss the dice, and they write,
五和二 我选五 类似这样
"Five and two. I chose five," and so on.
当你做二十次实验时 就会发现人们格外幸运
And when you do it 20 times, you find that people are extra lucky.
是吧 而且这种幸运在
Right? And luck has this really nice feature
掷出6-1的情况下出现的更多 是吧
of focusing on the six- one die tosses, right?
他们在掷出6-1的情况下格外幸运
They're extra lucky on the six- one die tosses,
但3-4就没那么幸运
not so much on the three- four.
这是基础实验
That's the basic experiment.
现在 重点来了
Now, here's the thing I want to tell you.
我们重复实验
We do the same experiment,
但给测试者带上测谎仪
but we connect people to a lie detector.
我们可能会怀疑测谎仪是否有用
And we ask the question of whether the lie detector can detect it,
答案是肯定的 测谎仪可以检测谎言
and the answer is yes, the lie detector can detect lies,
也许不那么准确 但还是可以检测到
not all the time, but it can detect it.
在另一个版本的实验中
In another version of the experiment,
我们采用相同的规则
we do the same thing,
但测试者要选择一个慈善团体
but people pick a charity.
他们今天在实验中赚到的所有钱
And all the money that they're going to make today
都会拿去做慈善 是吧 这样就是出于善意
goes to that charity. Right? For a good cause.
你觉得会发生什么 测试者撒谎的次数会变多吗
What do you think happened, people cheat more or less?
当然会变多
People cheat more.
但测谎仪却没用了
And the lie detector stops working.
为什么 因为测谎仪真正检测的
Why? Because what does the lie detector detect?
是紧张
The lie detector detects a tension.
我想要更多的钱 但这样做是不对的
I want more money, but I think it's wrong.
我想要更多的钱 但我觉得这样不对
I want more money, but I think it's wrong,
但如果这样没有错呢
but if it's not wrong,
还担心什么呢
why would you worry?
如果谎言是出于善意 你就仍觉得自己是个好人
If it's for a good cause, you can still think of yourself as a good person,
这就是谎言的起点 之后就越来越糟
and that's how things start, and then it becomes a slippery slope.
我当时在华尔街日报
I was at the Wall Street Journal
五层的新闻区
on the fifth floor of the Journal newsroom
曼哈顿市中心
in midtown Manhattan.
我几周前完成了
I had couple weeks prior finished
一个医疗保险诈骗的系列报道
a long series on Medicare fraud.
所以我在找
So, I was looking for
有什么新闻可以深入研究
something new to sink my teeth into,
在一个下午
and one afternoon, uh,
我坐在桌前 电♥话♥铃♥声♥响了 我接起来
I'm at my desk, my phone rings, I pick up,
是一个线人
and it's this source of mine.
他问我有没有读纽约客
He asked me whether I'd read this New Yorker profile
几周前 2014年十二月上旬
of Elizabeth Holmes that had been published
发表的一篇关于Elizabeth Holmes的报道
a couple weeks prior in December of 2014.
电影精选列表